Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Iv never though getting amnesties for irish illegals in the states was regarded as that important or popular. How often do you ever see it mentioned here?

Everybody who's gone in there in the last 20+ years knows the score. Yes, you can live there illegally but the US is upfront about not being publicly seen to be a soft touch.

I and everyone I know have never called for Irish illegals to be given an amnesty. In fact I think America should start enforcing their borders and immigration policies properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

No person I know thinks Irish illiegals in America should be given an amnesty...

People need to follow the rules in the country in which they are a guest in. If you give an amnesty to every Tom, Dick and Mohammed every few years, we will have the dregs of the third world at our door making our housing crisis worse, increasing the number of dole spongers and creating more societal division.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This type of policy is beyond naive. It's actually dangerous in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,820 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the yanks march to the beat of their own drum. They value enabling the safety and welfare of their citizens as first priority …

an amnesty won’t do that… it will enable the welfare of others…Irish citizens PAY to become secondary priority…

there are supposedly 17,000 undocumented people living here…..17,000 people extra entitled to medical cards, weekly social welfare etc…

those medical cards have to come from somewhere, the social welfare funds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ronald Reagan would be proud to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

millions spent on legal fees for bogus and been rejected elsewhere in the EU probably 90% slap in the face for tax payers 2/3 on SW many with criminal well done refugee lobyists

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The levels of state expenditure on welfare and health frankly terrify me. Little wonder the high rate of taxation kicks in at such a low level. Someone has to fund the handouts to all and sundry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The state of this highly upvoted reddit comment from an irish person in the worldnews subreddit:

Ireland has a long history of supporting the rights of undocumented Irish abroad in the US and Australia in particular. We're well versed in how such migrants make their communities better and integrate.

Its right that mechanisms exist for those who do so to get their status fixed

There's no such thing as undocumented, they're illegal. It is shameful that Irish governments support law breakers.

I really hate the "oh Ireland did this in the past therefore we should pay it back by doing that". You see it often with immigration..."how can an irish person be against immigration when the irish emigrated themselves?"

People talking as if it's not a completely different world we live in. The Irish didn't take housing of the people they emigrated to and they weren't sponging off welfare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

McEntee keeps referring to the Irish illegals in the US as a reason why we should have an amnesty for illegals here,why?? The Irish who went there knew they were taking a risk , do the rest of us who stayed have to pay for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They might or they might not get citizenship. They would still have to go through the whole process of it which could take several years and cost about a €1000 or so.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Between this and Rodrics plan to house everyone who comes here illegal or not.

Utterly depressing.

Where has this inferiority complex that we have to please everyone in the audience come from???!

Of course they'll be granted Citizenship.

There are millions of people who would pay tens of thousands of euro for an E.U. passport and more especially one for a Country where access to welfare supports are so freely permitted.

I'd better shut up now because Irish passports as a profit centre is a concept which might grain traction with this Government.

shouldnt terrify,, you pay tax, then if your health hit the skids as mine did I was glad of a dig out, never guilty for a second… but my request for actual services and avenues of recovery were and are still shut off to me behind big waiting lists…and incompetent consultants…

I’ve a phone consultation on Thursday that will AGAIN be a two minute “ok keep up the good work”….type of encouragement effort…NOTHING will be offered.

when I enquire about physio / hydrotherapy ‘again’…. “ well, there is quite a waiting list erm, can you get it privately ? “…we’ll, I have been for x years….. I’ve paid thousands….

so really if you went into Tesco and payed 200 to the cashier but only walked out with 20 quids worth of groceries…. That’s what it’s like as an Irish taxpayer in our health system.

an amnesty for the undocumented will only make that magnified thousands of times….as well as setting a precedent for it to occur every x years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oh I dunno, there's fairly regular calls in certain constituencies for the government to do something about "poor Johnny and Mary abroad in Chigaco, and they can't come home for the funerals, and isn't it awful, shur the Irish build America and JFK and all that."

Not mocking Irish in America with that comment btw. I have relatives that lived the undocumented life for a while. I know it's tough, but they went with their eyes wide open about it.

It is amazing how many posters seem to prefer having thousands of unknown people living in the country, rather than finding out who they are!

They could always tell us rather then us paying to do all that legwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Of course they will and you can guarantee that they will get assistance to help pay ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A kick in the teeth for the people that come here and stay here legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not as if they are planning to deport anyone regardless of what crimes they commit ,17% of our prison population is non national ,

The US have capital punishment, because it’s happening there we should have here ..?

We have to cut our cloth to meet our measure…

amnesty’s for illegal / undocumented doesn’t enable that or our wellbeing..just theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

If the price of knowing who they are is access to welfare, social housing and family repatriation ignorance is bliss as far as I'm concerned.

In Germany there is an obligation of identity and to register your place of residence. It is much more difficult to exist under the radar in Germany than Ireland. Employing those who have entered Germany illegaly is very difficult. A German police officer can demand to see your identity card and if not happy you won't be going anywhere until they've satisfied themselves as to your identity. They're also able to check your residence details straight away.

These illegal immigrants are on their way to citizenship because Ireland can't track illegals and McEntee has just capitulated.

Except for a few things.

Firstly, many of them are known, since they've been caught by the Gardai, but released back into society. There's a range of articles and press releases relating to the Gardai/Justice that they don't hold on to most illegals.. but their names/details are taken. Secondly, their details are often taken when they seek medical or educational services, which are provided under international law, but the local organisations involved do take their details. It wouldn't take much to gain access to those records if there was some interest in doing so.

Lastly, a fair chunk of these illegals are those who came here legally on visa, but didn't leave when their visas expired. A wee bit of investment into a range of database search programs would gather the names of those who didn't leave.. vs those who have since renewed their visas, or have left through normal channels..

It's amazing the assumption that these people are not known to the authorities, or that they couldn't be traced if the govt truly desired to do so.

There's no interest in tracking illegals... not that they couldn't be tracked if the interest was there. McEntee reflects our political elite.. more interested in short term feel good gestures, and less interested in the long-term negative consequences. You can be sure she (and the politicians who support her) will never take public responsibility for anything bad that comes from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are 166,000 approx on the Live Register.

Plus there are 67,000 on PUP.

I don't see much need for a lot of non-EU labour, given there are over 200,000 people on LR and PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

And it’s not as if the Irish illegals in America are any way close to getting an amnesty right now, so why the need for us to pay it forward? Plus if you come to the attention of the authorities over there you will absolutely be deported, and rightfully so.

Judging by the comments on here and online, people are overwhelmingly against this, and it’s this area people usually tend to shy away from being outspoken about for fear of being labeled racist. Why is Ireland perusing this when it’s against the will and the best interests of it’s citizens?

Even in some circles to discuss it can even attract the racist tag…. It’s a convenient way to shut down debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm dumbfounded how anyone awaiting deportation (well that would pretty much include all illegals) or with a criminal record can now apply to legally work here and ultimately citizenship

There is zero reason to do this except as maybe a vote getter but she must be deluded if she thinks this will get the party/her votes

I'm losing all faith in FFG and anyone in government to actually stand up and work for the country and the people who pay taxes - the current government makeup is an absolute disgrace - I'd vote for SF but they're worse but might give a kick in to the teeth to FG/FF

I'd drink myself to sleep but can't afford it anymore - thanks FG

Advertisement