Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022.

• 30-12-2021 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

This is fantastic news. At last some positive action against dangerous speeders.

Cars will be fitted with GPS or camera technology and will not be capable of exceeding the posted limit.

The limitation can be temporarily overriden to get a burst of power if the driver needs to take evasive action of safely complete an overtaking manoeuvre.

This is long overdue. Road deaths will plummet. Speed will be reduced.

Hopefully this means poxy speed ramps will be abolished now.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/mandatory-speed-limiters-on-uk-cars-from-2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Road deaths will not plummet....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not wearing seat belts is the new drink driving, 25% of those killed last year not wearing them, a lot of suicide drivers...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40219001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A speed limiter is a safety device that can be fitted in your car so that your vehicle doesn’t cross a certain speed set by ***you***.

In my day, that used be called a right foot.

What a load of useless wet officious w@nkology, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

I know it’s unpopular but speed cameras are few and far between and something needs to be done to reduce the number of unnecessary deaths.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going to be some carnage when a car on the M50 mainline sees the 30km/h sign for a ramp leaving and applies the brakes.

Using GPS as backup is even worse than sign reading as limits frequently change and new roads get built. Even recent car navs won't have the new n4 stretch and will occasionally pick up false data from thinking you're driving on crossing roads (usually 80km/h when the n4 is 100km/h)

• Advertisement

The brake obviously won’t suddenly jam on.

The person behind should also be travelling at a distance that allows them to stop in the distance they can see clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Not sure how this is going to achieve anything at all other than Jack the price of a car up even more.

It is disabled as soon as you put your foot all the way down on the accelerator, isn’t this something that someone speeding may do, you know, to speed 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just let the fcuking robots drive the cars and consign the joy of motoring to the dustbin of history and then you can have your dystopian nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Drivers dawdling along the motorway at 90kph are far more dangerous than a lad going 140kph.

Don't get me started on the morons going 80kph trying to merge off a ramp.

What a stupid thread.

How are drivers doing 90 km/h a danger as long as they keep left?

Artic lorries are restricted to 90 km/h, vehicles towing a trailer 80 km/h and buses with standing passengers 65 km/h.

Cars fitted with a spare wheel are also restricted to 80 km/h.

It’s a limit, not a target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

In the future, there will not be any humans driving cars,,,,,,they will all be computer controlled, and drive themselves. These cars are in existence even now, and have been for some time, so its only a matter of time until it becomes common place. You will get into your car ( or driverless UBER) and say " take me to Dublin Airport" and it will do exactly that.

What didn’t you understand? There was an article to read and from that you can either post your opinion on speed limited vehicles or not. Didn’t seem that hard, maybe it’s yourself that’s drunk after all 😂

Just because I found the OP interesting as I didn’t know these speed limiters were a thing I’ll say again, I don’t see the point as they state they’re deactivated as soon as you plant your foot on the accelerator so anyone can still speed.

Thats the last I’ve got on this thread now as it’s been hijacked by pointless posts and some disappointing attitudes. Seems to be getting a common theme lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These limiters are already widely fitted in one form or another.

I rented a van the other day that had a spped limiter but you could turn off the switch.

Any limiter being introduced will not be a hard limiter as if it was it would severely kill car sales. We would get a situation where the last cars sold without it would become very very sought after.

All this crap makes me think more and more that a nice 10 to 15 year old v8 is a very good buy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Had to run a few jobs today...

Had to deal with 3 different drivers doing below 50 on dual carriageway and 1 driver doing 60 on the motorway...

Incredibly dangerous especially with merging traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

IIn your day, we killed about 400 people each year on the roads. We've reduced this by more than half with penalty points, NCT, mandatory alcohol testing and improved safety features. We've still got a long way to go in eliminating avoidable deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

It was inevitable that this would come online, tbh I am surprised it had not sooner, I use a sat nav to warn me of speed zones, if it would reduce and increase speed automatically I’d be quite happy. If you want to speed go onto a track and race against other drivers not amateurs on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Wooohoooo I don't drive a car anymore , motorbike all year round.

I'll have to stay in second gear haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Well not all year round for me but 9 months I love using the motorbike, and let’s face it, on back country roads it is fun to use and a few other places…

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I read somewhere a comment by an undertaker: I’ve never had to unstrap a fatality at an RTA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s a step in the right direction but it will take about ten years before it applies to most motorists and since young speed merchants buy older cars I don’t have your expectations in declining death rates in the near term.

So... you're saying the value of my ancient 171 230 brake coupe is about to accelerate in value? Whoop! Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

It's a shame this technology won't stop the drunk boy racers ftom killing themselves and their mates in the infamous 3am single vehicle crashes.

Who said it will?

Too many people are dying from excessive speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Jap cars are limited, just bypass it and problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 24 darrencan1988

This is honestly the biggest load of bull I have ever seen I am glad its a UK read because it will not fly here. Why if we are all to move to full electric cars would car manufacturers bother their hole fitting a smart systems to a normal car which could be taken off the line in the UK as fast as they launch it. Dont believe everything you read.

I started to ride a motorbike recently and you know what real danger is people who think they are perfect little drivers pulling out in front of bike users or people reaching in to the back seat to help their child while driving on the road or even those who drive along very slowly on a road causing a traffic jam then giving out about road users having to overtake as quick as possible to avoid being stuck behind that idiot.

I was driving all of Ireland for many years until recently where I got a job close to home as I couldnt take the roads anymore I have been rear ended pulled out in front of and a woman recently reaching into the back to sort something for a child came across in front of me and only I was on the bike we were both dead.

Human error is a real thing but speeding is not the problem on Irish roads the real problem here is the fact we dont have suitable roads our back roads are in bits the main roads get re surfaced over and over but never made better or safer our government are corrupt and car tax goes to Irish water and other dodgy companies setup by government members or related to them.

If you want to make the roads safer get the back roads re built with a decent foundation and good drainage then get speed bumps put into villages after that get good road markings of bends and dangersous roads. Stop the council repairing the roads with chippings as this is a death sentence to a bike user. Also have you ever noticed the amount of muck and **** dragged out of fields and left on the roads this plus a bit of rain and leaves adds up and can cause fatal crashes. There is so much that can be done to reduce road deaths but do you really think our government or councils give a **** no they dont its about budget and with them bleeding the system our lives are put at risk on dangerous roads.

Have you noticed that when driving through some villages its dark and roads are narrow and just not safe to walk how can you give out about speeding being an issue when you stand back and let the powers that be put you and your kids lives at risk daily if you drive to work or school what are your roads like ? if your kids start driving what are the roads going to be like you pay silly insurance as Ireland has so many people ripping insurance companies off with fake claims. I could go on and on and on for the rest of my life but what I will tell you is that while you are thinking narrowly about speeding being the issue no real change will happen no roads will be made safer you will not achieve anything you will give out like the rest of the country and simple take what happens daily and say ah not much we can do.

A local village close to me were refused speed ramps so magiclly a jcb dug two loevly holes across the road and put cones out to say the road was gone after the second attempt they got two lovely speed ramps installed and not only that they got a solar powered speed sign installed on both ends amazing what doing something can achieve rather than blaming everything else.

I am not saying speeding is not an issue it is but only 10% of the issue in the country the autobahn in Germany has some lanes with a minimum speed limit of 90KPH minimum and do you know why that is not an issue? Because they have good roads on good foundations and good drainage safe roads that are maintained with the tax money not a bad way of doing it if only our country knew how to look after our roads. I live in Wexford and Christmas day floods washed away a few bridges and roads have vanished they might get a bit of tar and chip to repair and away you go again.

What issue did it cause?

surely you can deal with these drivers? You do know how to overtake yes?

Germany don’t have minimum speeds per se as buses with standing passengers are limited to 65 km/h throughout the EU.

Vehicles which are not capable of exceeding 90 km/h are not allowed in the outermost lane. That’s what you might be getting mixed up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Nearly every issue you mentioned becomes a non issue if you slow down.

You state that speeding is not the problem, but then call out for more speed bumps...can you see how illogical that reads? Obviously you are admitting that people are driving too fast!!

Consider the technology an electronic speed bump.

Advertisement