Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

gozunda wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware he welcomes anyone to point out anything they believe to be incorrect with him directly.

Maybe you should do so rather than throwing rabid accusations.

He does like the idf. He likes them very very very much. Nothing accusatory there.

And this discredits his blog how exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why did his dad allow him to go / send him to Egypt at the time ?

How come the Dad did not go himself to look after the young fella ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I'm finding the censorship and spin by both the media and on social media in relation to this case very alarming. The posts to discredit Mark Humphry's by appealing to an Irish sense of anti britishness and anti Israeli sentiment are also a real eye opener. Before reading this thread I wouldn't have believed this type of behaviour existed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Any of the print media doing an “exclusive” interview with him? Or has that already been done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

smurgen wrote: »
    I'm finding the censorship and spin by both the media and on social media in relation to this case very alarming. The posts to discredit Mark Humphry's by appealing to an Irish sense of anti britishness and anti Israeli sentiment are also a real eye opener. Before reading this thread I wouldn't have believed this type of behaviour existed in Ireland.

Are you not aware of the Shinners at all?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

I'm a strong supporter of Islam in Ireland, but I must admit Mr Halawa came across as super douchey in this particularly interview, and one could delve deeply into some of his statements regarding the apparent suddenness of his political activities. His sisters are all 11s, and I support them in their case against the state at this moment, but I am waiting for more details to emerge about their brother at the moment. Unfortunately his LLS appearance did not advance their cause or his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Sure arent they suing the irish state because of visa applications of their partners?

They do appear very bitter, they got there brother back I think it's a disgrace for them to be suing the state. Their partners are not allowed residency im sure for a good reason so let them go abroad to their husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Thought the way tubridy framed the question, can't remember the exact phrasing though, "shall we start to dismiss the negative questions?" It's as if it was decided that everything negative was fake. Not really the ideal way to approach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

First Up wrote: »
    He went every year.

I thought he said it was his first time in Egypt his father wanted him to go over and see it then go from there to Ibiza.

Are you not aware of the Shinners at all?

I'm not sure I follow.i would be a supporter of Sin n Fein but see attemps to discredit a journalist based on the fact that he works in Britain crass to say the least and reaks of desperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

dav3 wrote: »
    Oy vey, you're back.

Are you going to stick around this time, or do a runner when people start asking you the difficult questions again?

Ah yes, the UK Sunday Times, your family must be very proud of you having your rant published in a british newspaper.

Why do you think real journalists in Ireland refuse to have any dealings with you?

Your personal dislike for Mr Humphreys is perhaps food for another thread.

However,the remarks about the Sunday Times simply does not bear any form of scrutiny.

The Irish edition of the Sunday Times has been perhaps the ONLY Irish newspaper to investigate issues which the "Native" organs either find problematic,or are requested "Off record" to leave alone.

The Pamela Izevbakhai bandwagon,some years back,was the proving of this,as virtually the entire Irish Media was shown to be lacking in,even the most,basic levels of proffessional detachment when offered a pre-packaged story.

RTE themselves have a substantial amount of unanswered questions as to the reluctance of it's Chief Investigative Reporter,at the time,to actually research & investigate a story,something which was left to the (Irish) Sunday Times to do.

Whatever issues you have with Mark Humphreys (and I would share some of them),these cannot simply be superimposed upon the Sunday Times and used to discredit it.

It is worth noting also,that Mr Humphreys has,via his blog,posed some rather simple questions in relation to the Halawa family's position in relation to their involvement in the "Day of Rage" events,none of which has been directly responded to,either via the Sunday Times or Humphreys blog itself.

As I see it,that right of reply,remains available ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Just in case you weren’t aware of how dangerous the Muslin Brotherhood are. Newly released Bin Laden journal documents show how they shaped his radical views.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/the-americas/bin-laden-journal-reveals-he-was-shaped-by-the-muslim-brotherhood-1.672646

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Vlad Kelly wrote: »
    His sisters are all 11s, and I support them in their case against the state at this moment,s.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I think we need to clear a few things up.

There are Irish newspapers, british newspapers, and british newspapers with Irish editions which are still british newspapers.

The Sunday times is a british newspaper, the royal coat of arms plastered on the front page is a bit of a giveaway. The Sunday times is a Rupert Murdock owned, right-wing, anti-Irish, phone-hacking rag. The same as the sun and similar to the daily mail.

The question still stands, why real journalists in Ireland won’t go near the blogger. It's been over 4 years, nearly half a decade. Nobody takes him serious. I'm sorry to hurt the feelings of a few people, but the questions needed to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Why?

With the Ibrahim Halawa issue now essentially at an end,it will be interesting to see whether the family will seek to maintain the momentum which they built up around it.

From what can be gathered in Irish media accounts,the sisters in question appear to be pursuing a similar line of attack against the Irish Government,namely that Ireland is failing to recognise their demands in a timely manner,which is resulting in a degree of unnecessary distress being imposed upon them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/halawa-sisters-complain-of-delay-in-deciding-if-husbands-can-join-them-in-ireland-1.3092181
    Omaima and Somaia Halawa, both Irish citizens, have, along with their husbands – Mohamed Abdo Mahmoud Aly and Emadelin Mohamed Arab respectively – taken judicial review proceedings against the Minister in the High Court.

Both men are Egyptian nationals currently residing in Turkey.

Omaima Halawa said she and her husband are expecting their first child in August, but, despite having applied for a Join Spouse visa in October 2015, they have yet to receive a decision. The delay is “deeply distressing”, she said.

The inference can be taken,that the Irish Government is not entitled to apply a more robust protocol in relation to the issuance of Visa's,as a response to events unfolding on a now daily basis involving members of their Politico/Religous grouping ?
    The sisters also allege unlawful discrimination against them as Irish citizens exercising their rights concerning free movement rights of EU citizens and their families.

In an affidavit, Omaima Halawa said she met her husband during a family holiday in Turkey in summer 2014 and they married in August 2015 in Istanbul. Her husband applied for a visa in October 2015, but, despite several attempts since then to contact the Visa Office about the status of that, no explanation was given for the delay in deciding it.

Her solicitor was informed in December 2016 by the Department of Justice visa section the application was being considered but no further information would be provided until they got a signed letter of authority from her husband, she said.

Her husband provided that signed letter of authority, and the Department was also given a letter from the Coombe hospital concerning the due date of their baby. Details of the continued detention of her brother were also provided.

It is interesting that the Halawa sisters specifically refer to their Brothers situation in their "join Spouse" visa applications,something which has now materially altered.

Some citizens might see the alleged "Delay" in processing these applications,as being understandable,if not even desirable,given current events worldwide.

The ending of the Ibrahim Halawa case,may well prove to be a mixed blessing in some ways ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

There are Irish newspapers, british newspapers, and british newspapers with Irish editions which are still british newspapers.

The Sunday times is a british newspaper, the royal coat of arms plastered on the front page is a bit of a giveaway. The Sunday times is a Rupert Murdock owned, right-wing, anti-Irish, phone-hacking rag. The same as the sun and similar to the daily mail.

The question still stands, why real journalists in Ireland won’t go near the blogger. It's been over 4 years, nearly half a decade. Nobody takes him serious. I'm sorry to hurt the feelings of a few people, but the questions needed to be asked.

Newspapers%20left%20right%20wing-01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

cisk wrote: »
    His father is Imam of Dublin's Clonskeagh mosque and represents Irish Muslims at many events.

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2017/0918/905614-ibrahim-halawa/
    This religious nonsense again. He only represents himself and people who asked him to represent them. That's it. He has no reason or right to represent anybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Irish media are pathetic. There are very few “journalists”. They write and print what they are told.

How many journalists have looked into the Mary Boyle case? Or the death of age Niall Molloy? Or have pushed for info on what the Irish Govt knew about the Dublin Monaghan bombings? Or British army collusion in the Miami Showband massacre?? Or the many other public interest stories out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

emo72 wrote: »
    Thought the way tubridy framed the question, can't remember the exact phrasing though, "shall we start to dismiss the negative questions?" It's as if it was decided that everything negative was fake. Not really the ideal way to approach it.

We could take Turbidy's question literally or that it is in itself a loaded question.

In his phraseology he also appeared to presume that those with concerns were asking 'negative' questions which puts any such questions automatically in a 'negative' light.

Much like the old classic loaded question of "when did you stop beating your wife" the questioner presumes that the respondent has beat his wife at some point - leaving the respondents only avenue to be defensive in reply.

Turbidy also pigeonholed the "haters" as he referred to them without any attempt of defining the term or even in fact if it was relevant to what was been said or by whom.

Both points indicate a certain bias in that interview imo. I would expect better.

Real journalists in Ireland tow the editorial line.irish media is not as free as we are lead to believe and outside international media can be very useful to break the silence on matters here.

I'll give you two such examples to prove my point.The Tuam baby graves swept under the carpet by terry prone in the irish press.a french news channel then got the international momentum rolling and the ny times and the guardian put the story on the international stage.it finally got so exposed that our domestic media couldn't ignore it any longer and govenrment had to make statements regarding inquests etc.

Second example ; the IMF in Ireland.government ministers on RTE denying the IMF delegation in Dublin. No pictures of them in the Irish media.Then the Guardian put pictures of them entering the central bank on the front pages. Eventually it was admitted they were there and that we would be following measure of austerity done by them. Two such instances of the irish media doing the ordinary joe soaps a disservice.

• Advertisement

The Irish media are pathetic. There are very few “journalists”. They write and print what they are told.

How many journalists have looked into the Mary Boyle case? Or the death of age Niall Molloy? Or have pushed for info on what the Irish Govt knew about the Dublin Monaghan bombings? Or British army collusion in the Miami Showband massacre?? Or the many other public interest stories out there?

How did you find out about these public interest stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The irish media have created a ****storm for the Halawa boy by not giving fair and balanced coverage. The lack of questioning of the stories has led to a movement demanding answers.

There is a real lack of understanding of the human trait of inquisitivity. When you have media rooms that are echo chambers, the so called journalists are absolutely bewildered as to why the general public are not going full hop into the stories that were given.

Now we are at a stage of anger of journalists that people who were blase about the story are now saying "hold on, this doesnt add up".

There has now been a noticeable climb down of the statement from the media and leftist politicians that he wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time and that he was right to be out there protesting. If they had have just admitted that from the start, the whole reaction would have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Vlad Kelly wrote: »
    I'm a strong supporter of Islam in Ireland.

Would it be its inherent homophobia or its rampant misogyny that you appreciate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How did you find out about these public interest stories?

We’ve this thing called the internet now. So the mainstream media can’t repress stories as they used to. The Mary Boyle and Fr Molloy stories are from 20/30 years ago or more, the details of both are only coming to light now via bloggers and independent people reporting them.

Tuam Babies was another one that took international reportage to become a story in Ireland.

Edit: That’s all I’ll say on it. You are desperately trying to drag the thread off topic to get it shut down, and I’m not going to let you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Caught this interview last night with my wife half watching it and who didn't have a notion who this person was. Half way through she put down her phone, and stated that 'This guy is hiding something'.

She is correct. He came across terribly, didn't answer any questions directly, and spoke like a novice politician like he was coached by someone last minute. He was anything but honest.

Like, he went over the Egypt to chill and have a summer holiday, by eating ice cream, so he finds himself addressing a large crowd about something political. Come off it, are we idiots?

The fact that his father is an ardent supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood, never-mind his statement that Homosexuals are sinful should have more public scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

t3nztd5xzyvz.jpg

We’ve this thing called the internet now. So the mainstream media can’t repress stories as they used to. The Mary Boyle and Fr Molloy stories are from 20/30 years ago or more, the details of both are only coming to light now via bloggers and independent people reporting them.

Tuam Babies was another one that took international reportage to become a story in Ireland.

Edit: That’s all I’ll say on it. You are desperately trying to drag the thread off topic to get it shut down, and I’m not going to let you.

I think you may be confused as to what the job of a journalist is about. It appears you have a problem with the gardaí not investigating these issues. For some reason you've mixed up gardaí with journalists.

No need to derail anything. The question still stands as to why real journalist in Ireland will have nothing to do with the blogger.

We may need another quick recap.

Ibrahim Halawa was tried in an Egyptian court, the prosecution put their case forward, the defence put their case forward. He was acquitted of all charges and released.

He disavowed the muslim brotherhood on the most popular tv show in the country.

The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think you may be confused as to what the job of a journalist is about. It appears you have a problem with the gardaot investigating these issues. For some reason you've mixed up gardaith journalists.

No need to derail anything. The question still stands as to why real journalist in Ireland will have nothing to do with the blogger.

We may need another quick recap.

Ibrahim Halawa was tried in an Egyptian court, the prosecution put their case forward, the defence put their case forward. He was acquitted of all charges and released.

He disavowed the muslim brotherhood on the most popular tv show in the country.

The end.

For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe.

And then there would STILL be people that would not be satisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

His mother's quiet sick going by the late late interview and i assume may not be fit to face public and intensive questioning??

If this tread is anything to go by,if his ould lad appeared he'd get forgotten about in the furore??

If I was him,I'd not court any press etc and just fade into normal civilian life....and seriously contemplate deleting social media for a few years until everything dies down....who needs the constant public scrutiny,he'll face??

I agree. That's exactly what he should do. Last night was a bit of a fiasco for him. I don't know if his family are pushing him to court all this publicity, or if he's enjoying it himself. But it could backfire badly. He should get on with his life and try and put the last four years behind him. If his family have his best interests at heart, that is what they should be advising him to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe.

And then there would STILL be people that would not be satisfied.

I'd be satisfied with that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement