Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera M50/ M11

Options
  • 30-05-2018 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I was travelling today from Bray to Ballymount northbound.
    I was wondering if there are any fixed speed cameras as I saw two road signs which show speed cameras ahead, if you know the ones I am talking about from the entrance onto the M11 from Bray and somewhere between M11 and the M50 not too sure about the exact location.

I was wondering is are these to show that there are fixed speed cameras there ahead or are they the Garda mobile ones, I didnt see any vans or anything on the hard shoulder.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

No there is none. It's just a sign to warn you that there may be a go safe van around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There are no fixed speed cameras anywhere in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

They're regularly at the bottom of the hill at Kilmacanogue shooting people who picked up speed on the run down heading North.

about 300 yards later the M11 starts.

But it's always a van. I've only ever seen the laser cops the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

jaffa20 wrote: »
    No there is none. It's just a sign to warn you that there may be a go safe van around.

Cheers, appreciate it !

GM228 wrote: »

Thank you! And thats good to know!

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    They're regularly at the bottom of the hill at Kilmacanogue shooting people who picked up speed on the run down heading North.

about 300 yards later the M11 starts.

Ah yeah I know where you are talking about! Cheeky they are hah

I just got paranoid after i drove by and only realised I saw two of those signs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Port tunnel?

The_Chap wrote: »
    Port tunnel?

They are average speed cameras, not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

They are average speed cameras, not quite the same.

True, but they are still fixed :-)

/pendantic mode off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

Dartz wrote: »

There was one there last week (possibly week before) i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

What about the one on the M1 when coming back from the North, thinks its near Drogheda, there is a speed camera there with road markings etc.. Does this not work? Nearly sure I seen one there, although its nearly 2 years since I have been that way

I know the ones on the M50 are gone, still have the markings on the road near coming up to the blanch exit and also coming to the end of the M50 northbound near the airport/Belfast exit

What about the one on the M1 when coming back from the North, thinks its near Drogheda, there is a speed camera there with road markings etc.. Does this not work? Nearly sure I seen one there, although its nearly 2 years since I have been that way

I know the ones on the M50 are gone, still have the markings on the road near coming up to the blanch exit and also coming to the end of the M50 northbound near the airport/Belfast exit

I assume you mean the old Gatso camera S/B near Dunleer, has not been in use for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I assume you mean the old Gatso camera S/B near Dunleer, has not been in use for years.

Yep, think thats the one, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 65,205 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I got caught by that one after volunteering to bring people to Dundalk for a removal and I was driving home very late at night on an empty M1 motorway. The massive flash startled me. But at least I knew when the penalty notice came in the post that the speedo of my V8 petrol BMW showed exactly the same as the penalty notice: 88mph. I was doing the right thing by people and then karma didn't work I guess...

The only other speeding fine I ever got was on the dual carriageway from the M50 exit southbound towards Finglas. An empty dual carriageway with a 40mph limit :rolleyes: I must have got caught by a mobile gatso. And that was nearly 20 years ago. I'm probably a bit more attentive now. I have not got caught speeding since then and I've never had any penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It seems to be exclusively mobile patrols these days.

They were out in force yesterday evening on the M8 for example. There was an unmarked Mondeo with the garda manning a tripod just outside Fermoy (arrow straight stretch of road with a downhill slope), the i30 tucked in beside their usual bridge between exit 9 and 10 (again arrow straight and he'd have been far better tending to the tyre debris on the road a few hundred metres north), and yet another Mondeo with the guy aiming the camera out the window on the garda ramp between exit 3 and the M7 merge.

It's very hard not to feel cynical about the safety vs revenue and stats aspects of such enforcement when you come across this stuff.

Advertisement