Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper rifle support

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭

was wondering what gun would you recommend as a support gun should someone get close enough?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

such a choice - the mp5 is popular , you could use a mac 10 , any electric pistol, even a p90 or g36c ( ive seen both being used as backup)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

was thinkin p90 but looks a bit cumbersome to have slinged around my back as a backup, am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

was thinkin p90 but looks a bit cumbersome to have slinged around my back as a backup, am i wrong?

Yes.

The P90 is probably one of the best designs out there. It's intended to be used by tank crews and other extreme close quarters operators and in airsoft terms is a great little piece. Compact, bull pup, high RoF.

In fact my team uses them as the primary back up gin for all snipers and as the primary for CQB. The mags are a little bulkier than the likes of the MP5 but as a sniper you wont be using to many rounds so it's not that important.

The P90 is light and alings easily to your back, I actually have straps on my web kit specfically attached by velcro to be a quick release system for the gun without any discomfort at all.

Yes.

The P90 is probably one of the best designs out there. It's intended to be used by tank crews and other extreme close quarters operators and in airsoft terms is a great little piece. Compact, bull pup, high RoF.

In fact my team uses them as the primary back up gin for all snipers and as the primary for CQB. The mags are a little bulkier than the likes of the MP5 but as a sniper you wont be using to many rounds so it's not that important.

The P90 is light and alings easily to your back, I actually have straps on my web kit specfically attached by velcro to be a quick release system for the gun without any discomfort at all.

cheers, dont use web ones myself but im sure one of those little slings
    http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=191
    would do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have to say, after trying my hand at a fair bit of sniping, I dont see how carrying an smg AEG on my back is any use at all. I can see possibly some of the advantages.

But I find I'm more then covered with my pistol. I always get in positions where I cant be flanked without me knowing, and should someone get within 20 feet of me, its usually unknowns to me.

Just notice from even people coming into the shop, it seems like some religious thing that if you buy a sniper rifle to do that role, you HAVE to get an mp5k or the sort.

I personally prefer pistols, and now my auto pistols :)

And in fairness if you find yourself constantly being engaged from close, either the site you play at isnt suitable for snipers, or your not getting in good spots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pistol with full auto capability and long mags? Like a glock with 2 or 3 long mags...Can see the P90 being somewhat good but a G36?? Seems a bit....big really. What about an MP7 like this, but maybe the Galaxy version instead of Well, it's about the same price and Well seem to make crap products mostly...

Pistol with full auto capability and long mags? Like a glock with 2 or 3 long mags...Can see the P90 being somewhat good but a G36?? Seems a bit....big really. What about an MP7 like this, but maybe the Galaxy version instead of Well, it's about the same price and Well seem to make crap products mostly...

i have the mp7 thigh holster already with a skorpion in it but only sits in it if u dont have the mag in it, where can you get the galaxy mp7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not sure where I saw it exactly, on some european site so it's not like it was a non-applicable price like from Hong Kong etc, think it was 90 euro plus 20 shipping to Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd like to echo Doc's comments here. Far too many people have this mindset of needing to be armed to the teeth "just in case".

A sniper role (or support-gunner in my case) is not a front-line assault role. You shouldn't need something like an SMG as your secondary. If you do, something is really, really wrong and very much not the norm. And if something is consistently really, really wrong well then you need to take a long look at how you're playing and/or how your team is playing as a team (or not which may be the case).

IMO, anything more than a pistol for such a role is complete and utter overkill and only gets in the way of doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

yeh, wouldn't worry too much about carrying extra guns around if i were you, find good spots to embed and snipe from, stay maneuverable, and maybe get a claymore or zoxna mine instead of another gun

• Advertisement

i have 2 claymores but have never actually tested the range on them and they site in a dump bag, weight doesnt bother me at all, im a big lad lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Don't get a galaxy paper weight, mp7, paper weight, the well is the one that works a bit, the galaxy not at all according to plenty of the lads who got them.

BTW the skorpion by well is a great little gun, figure out a way to carry it on yourself and you are set.

But a pistol, aep or gbb will be just as good, and easier to carry.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

was wondering what gun would you recommend as a support gun should someone get close enough?

GBN, ENB or GBB pistol.
    Smg's are an option, but it's down to personal choice.

Personally I'd use my spotter/support gunner, save giving away my position.

I presume you have something in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I have to say, after trying my hand at a fair bit of sniping, I dont see how carrying an smg AEG on my back is any use at all. I can see possibly some of the advantages.

But I find I'm more then covered with my pistol. I always get in positions where I cant be flanked without me knowing, and should someone get within 20 feet of me, its usually unknowns to me.

Just notice from even people coming into the shop, it seems like some religious thing that if you buy a sniper rifle to do that role, you HAVE to get an mp5k or the sort.

I personally prefer pistols, and now my auto pistols :)

And in fairness if you find yourself constantly being engaged from close, either the site you play at isnt suitable for snipers, or your not getting in good spots.

Ssssssshh... :P
    I want to excuse to buy the guns :p

I have also found that there is no need for anything other than primary and pistol and even then I have only used my pistol for the sake of using it. It is fun having other weapons although don't think that you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

Ssssssshh... :P
    I want to excuse to buy the guns :p

I have also found that there is no need for anything other than primary and pistol and even then I have only used my pistol for the sake of using it. It is fun having other weapons although don't think that you need them.

agree with the lads all you need is a pistol.if you spot someone coming for you take him out or run away.anyone that sneeks up on you just whip out the pistol.try whipping out an mp5k or mp7 in a hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

to be honest i would agree with carrying an AEG or similar as a backup, simply because its there when you need it and if the sh*t hits the fan you can join in with the lads and fight that way, with a pistol you'll be horribly outgunned.
    I prefer to have more kit than i need, that way i can put it down somewhere until i do need it and will save me the journey back to the safezone again., id like to see people all getting into the habbit og bringing a lot more with them so the games could flow better since theres always a few that need to head back to the safezone to reload, gas, etc etc.,

Advertisement