Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UBUNTU smartphone is in development!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Cononical are asking for a "Business Development Manager (Ubuntu Phone OS)"

The job is described as

"Canonical is seeking a business development lead to engage and develop strong relationships with industry partners in the run up to the launch of Ubuntu as a smartphone operating system.

The successful candidate will be an outstanding professional in the smartphone ecosystem with experience of engaging with both handset manufacturers and telco operators. "

link here ----> https://tbe.taleo.net/NA3/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=425

They are also looking for someone similar for their tv
    https://tbe.taleo.net/NA3/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=421

Although not official announced are people looking forward to the a new ubuntu smartphone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

I'd assume that position is related to http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android rather than their own phone OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

no ive read they are going for their own OS also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Stuxnet wrote: »
    no ive read they are going for their own OS also
    link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

bpb101 wrote: »
    link?
    25ssx29.jpg

this story implied both ubuntu for android and ubuntu phone os would be separate entities :)

tis all rumour atm Im sure :)

Doesn't really suggest they are working on a separate OS. Just more conjecture.
    I know I'm being cynical :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

If they do bring out something like this, I'd love it to be easily ported to other android devices.
    I'd love to use it, and I'm not in the mood to buy another phone for a very long time.

I also really want a phone OS with a terminal emulator. :pac:

If they do bring out something like this, I'd love it to be easily ported to other android devices.
    I'd love to use it, and I'm not in the mood to buy another phone for a very long time.

not in the market for a smartphone either , just got an iphone bur i would without hesitation buy an ubuntu sp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

*cough* Nokia N900 *cough*

Tom Dunne wrote: »

*cough* Nokia N900 *cough*

Or any Android/iOS phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

timbyr wrote: »
    Or any Android/iOS phone.

webOS

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I fired up a thread in comp / tech to spread the gospel. :)

Have to admit I'm finding the faux Apple style of the keynote pretty irksome.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/cnn-predict-ubuntu-phone-wont-make-inroads

CNN don't think its worth the bother
    The CNN article by Adrian Covert can be seen here

one interesting thing is that this ubuntu smartphone will use all of the screen and this is great. However, Why dont android and iOS? The first thing that comes to mind is adverts. On the bottom of the screen and top of iphones there are ads. Where will be the ads in the Ubuntu smartphone.

NO ad's? How do the developers make their money? - charge for the app?
    Then we run into a bigger problem. will all apps will have to be paid for.

Its great that ubuntu is open source and this is all great but the people who make the apps aren’t. If angry bird ( just because its a free popular app) wants to go on this new ubuntu phone, then they have 3 choices - give it away for free and make no money , charge for it, dont bother

right , lets say you got to fork out the 99c or whatever it is for angry birds , boo hoo its a euro , we have 1 more problem - why would i get an ubuntu smartphone ? sure all the apps cost money!

One final comment why is the circle thing to see all apps at the bottom of the phone launcher , that’s just confusing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/cnn-predict-ubuntu-phone-wont-make-inroadsIts great that ubuntu is open source and this is all great but the people who make the apps aren’t. If angry bird ( just because its a free popular app) wants to go on this new ubuntu phone, then they have 3 choices - give it away for free and make no money , charge for it, dont bother
    I don't see the issue with it being open source... by that logic you'd be paying for all the apps on ubuntu or any other linux distro. And yet we know there and may apps available - not just for free but with the source code.

I guess this move is probably the reason that ubuntu started allowing closed source apps to be sold via the ubunti software centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/cnn-predict-ubuntu-phone-wont-make-inroads

CNN don't think its worth the bother
    The CNN article by Adrian Covert can be seen here

one interesting thing is that this ubuntu smartphone will use all of the screen and this is great. However, Why dont android and iOS? The first thing that comes to mind is adverts. On the bottom of the screen and top of iphones there are ads. Where will be the ads in the Ubuntu smartphone.

NO ad's? How do the developers make their money? - charge for the app?
    Then we run into a bigger problem. will all apps will have to be paid for.

Its great that ubuntu is open source and this is all great but the people who make the apps aren’t. If angry bird ( just because its a free popular app) wants to go on this new ubuntu phone, then they have 3 choices - give it away for free and make no money , charge for it, dont bother

right , lets say you got to fork out the 99c or whatever it is for angry birds , boo hoo its a euro , we have 1 more problem - why would i get an ubuntu smartphone ? sure all the apps cost money!

One final comment why is the circle thing to see all apps at the bottom of the phone launcher , that’s just confusing

The main extra thing on the screen that Android has is the top bar and I haven't seen any ads in that.

It's up to an app developer if they want to include ads, they don't have to. I can't see it being any different on this os. If I write an app I can still choose to put in an ad on the screen I'm making a decision to do it. Once an api is provided to support showing ads then developers have the choice to do it or not. In fact they could potentially show 2 adds and still have the same screen space for their core app

It's interesting from one of the videos above they mention docking it to get the full desktop experience. Looks like it will include a type of Ubuntu for Andorid experience.

Also not a fan of how much holding and scrolling there seems to be e.g. to get to an app on the dock you have to hold your finger on the screen to scroll around the dock

i have no problem what so ever with closed source apps on linux . My question is where do you put the ads if they are using the 4 sides of the screen ?

I have no problem paying for programs on linux and actualy encourage it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I'm actually impressed with the videos of it.. looks like a very nice UI.

And as it can use any html5 developed apps at least it will be introduced with more than no apps! (http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/01/04/ubuntu-for-smartphones-what-it-means-for/)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

timbyr wrote: »
    Have to admit I'm finding the faux Apple style of the keynote pretty irksome.
    Yeah I agree, I was quite distracted by it myself. Having said that, I'm intrigued by the UI - I'm delighted to see they've tried to do their own thing with it instead of going for the tile grid layout etc as on iOS and Android.

Does anybody know if the ubuntu mobile OS will be fully or only partially open source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

i have no problem what so ever with closed source apps on linux . My question is where do you put the ads if they are using the 4 sides of the screen ?

I have no problem paying for programs on linux and actualy encourage it

I dont understand your question. I have no ads on my homescreen on my phone. About the only place I do see ads is right hand corner of Angry Birds, but thats Angry Birds, not the OS.

Probably usable by May / June ish. I'm likely to ditch android in favour of this if it's even half way decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Khannie wrote: »
    Probably usable by May / June ish. I'm likely to ditch android in favour of this if it's even half way decent.

Don't think I'd jump straight into it but would try a dual boot for a while if they have a Galaxy S3 build

I'd guess that all the quad core phones will be targeted initially. I have a one-x (which I actually plumped for over the one-s because of the promise of ubuntu for android) and I fully expect it to be supported early on. I might be inclined to move to the oul' nexus though. It seems like a fine piece of kit for the money and I find the one-x screen to be a bit big for my lady like hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

New demonstration video. Seems like the lag has been improved A LOT!

Very badly want. Glad the whole docking thing has been cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I haven't had a smart phone since I left America. I had a HTC desire... this may just convince me to get back in on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I forgot about this, but with Firefox OS also on the cards, will the demand exist to support several Linux based smartphone OS's?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20971589

• Advertisement

Honestly I would say this will blow the firefox OS out of the water, unfortunately.

Advertisement