Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Thread

Options
  • 11-10-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Since there are at least 3 (more if you include the tp’s) active members here doing the same course and in the same year I figure we deserve at least one little wee thread of our own. It’s purpose? General conversation aswell as a place where we can impart our wisdom/woes about lecturers, coursework, labs, goss etc. Basically it’s a bitch/moan/study group thread.

Of cours far be it in my makeup to exclude anybody. Everybody is welcome to post here :)

First I’d just like to quote Claire, the physoc secretary and remind everybody of the meet and gree this Thursday in the IAMS:
    Hello there folks,

Welcome to Physoc. Just a few reminders:

1. If anyone didn't have their student number in Freshers Week, could you
    forward it to me at this address. We need these for our CSC grant to fund
    better events for you guys!

2. There will be the Physoc Welcome Reception this Thursday, 13th Oct at
    It will be in the IAMS (SNIAM) building conference room on the ground
    floor. Follow the arrows or go to http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/sniam.html to see
    it on the map. There will be refreshments served.
    This event involves NO Physics and is an ideal opportunity to meet a wide
    range of people. With 308 members this year (thats two and a half times
    last years membership), you are guaranteed that a lot of them don't study
    Physics so that is no excuse for not coming along!
    So don't be afraid, come and get to know the crowd. Bring some friends too -
    it'll be E2 at the door for membership.

3. Finally, if you have any problems, questions, issues etc, feel free to
    contact me here at this address or ar rafteryc@tcd.ie . Also, don't forget
    to keep an eye on our new fancy website www.duphysoc.org. It will have all
    the latest news and a forum for your opinions.

See you all on Thursday

Claire
    Secretary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Secondly I just got out of Igor Shvet's lecture.

The man hasn't a clue. Oh makes lots of money for the college with all his "discoveries" but wtf.. It was like he was reading that lecture! Listen closely too him, he talks like Stephen Hawking with a russian accent..

I went up after the lecture to ask him a couple questions, as I'd been studying his crystal structure course heavily over the past few days. And while the concepts seem to come fairly easily, last years tutorial questions were still quite a mystery as to how to go about them.

Jeeze it was like talking to a freaking wall.

Me: "I'm having trouble getting out the primitive base vectors on this question"

IS: "It's a simple cube, one after another, a b c" *(don't forget: hawking with a russian accent)

Me: "What? No no it's got a sort of fcc structure, and I think these are the answers but Im not sure, could you look at them" I hold up a bunch of vector equations I'd worked out.

IS: "No that's too complicated, it's tetragonal"

Me: "Yeah it's tetragonal, but it's face-centered tetragonal, are you sure the a b c is right?"

IS: "Bravais lattice, one after another" At this point he starts doing some new age dance move with his hands apparently to indicate what one after another means..

Me: "em.. ok, thanks..."

The man is very bad at explaining things off the cuff. Don't ever bother to try ask him questions unless you're sure he's previously scripted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I also inexplicably joined, but only for the cake at the stand as the shop was SOOOO far away.

Should i come on thursday anyway and get more free stuff?

Should i come on thursday anyway and get more free stuff?
    Sure come on down! Just makesure they have your student number or they cant get the money off the CSC for you joining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Cystals was nowhere near as much fun as the Galaxies lecture before it, the physics dept thought it would be fun to squeeze ALL of JS physics into the SNIAM LR. For the first half of the lecture a quarter of the class were sitting on the floor until the other half of the room was opened up. Oh, and the earth is screwed in 15,000 million years when bad things happen to the Sun.

I would have pegged IS as having the perfect Dracula accent. "Observe the face centred cube, and as you enthralled by it's beauty are your blood i will suck".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bah physics is for girls :p

how many people off this board are in those classes? the 3 science heads, sev , and is there any more tp's or others in there?

• Advertisement

They'd better have those conconctions in those overly huge conical flasks like they did when I was in first year...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Ooh me likes our own thread :-)

I was not pleased with that chemistry lark in the lecture today, all that fcc and bcc…I dropped chemistry for a reason goddammit :mad: !!!! Ive a feeling igor's course is gonna be the worst, I didn’t like that lecture at all grr. Yeah galaxies was a great laugh, it was all nice and cosy with everyone sitting on the floor lol. I like the fact he’s putting all the notes on the net, he should have done that in first year aswell!!
    Dead Ed wrote:
    ooooooooohhhhhhh, you JS guys are gonna love listening to your granny trying to confuse you whilst writing rather quickly.
    ah mcmurry, Ive had her for way too many lectures now. She does write fast but she writes EVERYTHING she says so you don’t have to listen :D

Saw you around apex but was talking to someone at the time so couldn’t just dump them lol. Still not sure who cuckoo is but ill get there…

Oh and Im a physics student who never joined physoc…

I was not pleased with that chemistry lark in the lecture today, all that fcc and bcc…I dropped chemistry for a reason goddammit :mad: !!!!
    Apart from the fcc, bcc, hcp and talking about metals glass etc in the first lecture. It has nothing vaguely at all to do with chemistry. Hah I can't wait til he starts attempting to impart the reciprocal lattice. Yous are all going to be sooo confused. God I'm glad I don't have to re-comprehend that concept. As mind-bending as it is, when igor tries to explain it you're left with that strange sinking feeling as if somebody just gave you a frontal lobotomy.
    Ive a feeling igor's course is gonna be the worst, I didn’t like that lecture at all grr.
    It's pretty short so not too bad, and you need to know it to be able to do the other solid state phys courses. The most annoying course is electromag, but it's also one of the most doable. The worst one I think is Stat therm, as lovable as mcgilp is n all, you can study and study and study and study for that course but still not be able to answer one past question.
    Meh.. come along anyway. I'll try drag yannick along too.

Had a quick chat with cuckoo outside that galaxies lecture before it started (on my way to the library ;) ). She was questioning my calculated truancy. I assured her I had umpteens of notes and would be fine. btw cuckoo are you coming on thurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I'm getting along in TP. Two days down, many many more to go. Interesting course though. The maths is crazy and i can see myself being in the library a fair bit too.

TimAy wrote:
    I'm getting along in TP. Two days down, many many more to go. Interesting course though. The maths is crazy and i can see myself being in the library a fair bit too.
    Riiight right..

You comin thursday?

• Advertisement

why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

cuckoo wrote:
    Cystals was nowhere near as much fun as the Galaxies lecture before it, the physics dept thought it would be fun to squeeze ALL of JS physics into the SNIAM LR. For the first half of the lecture a quarter of the class were sitting on the floor until the other half of the room was opened up. Oh, and the earth is screwed in 15,000 million years when bad things happen to the Sun.

Yeah. I got in early and got one of those groovy flappy up and down seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm thinking about starting a thread for neuroscientists but considering I'm the only one it's a bit of a waste. Even a thread for biologists is going to be lonely.

hmmm. it's beginning to look like the physoc do is going to be a bit of a mini-boards beer with so many of us at it.

edu-myth, the conical flasks of sangria at the reception in your first year were a good prop, honestly they were new flasks that hadn't been used in the lab yet. no, really. honestly.

you may have noticed the then committee were drinking the sangria from the ordinary jug, but that was just a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

all i can say is haha to everyone heading into js, its hardcore.

on a side note, isnt physics cool? i mean you can use it to explain this

posbolt7rc.jpg

and this

aerogelhigh0jl.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

God I'm glad I don't have to re-comprehend that concept.

I think it's just taken for granted. After many nights of nightmares you just accept that a plane is a ****ing point and move onto the next thing.
    Saw you around apex but was talking to someone at the time so couldn’t just dump them lol. Still not sure who cuckoo is but ill get there…

We spent literally minutes setting fire to Dec's arm hair in first year. Try it next time you see him!

John2 wrote:
    I'm thinking about starting a thread for neuroscientists but considering I'm the only one it's a bit of a waste. Even a thread for biologists is going to be lonely.
    yeah i feel ur pain, don't see many mathematicians around ere...
    Cookoo wrote:
    edu-myth, the conical flasks of sangria at the reception in your first year were a good prop, honestly they were new flasks that hadn't been used in the lab yet. no, really. honestly.
    He was 17 at the time, he'd have drank out of almost anything... :)
    Oddly enough i've join'd physoc previously but never mathsoc(though i did attend free donoughts yesterday...)
    No it's not. look at the figures man, there's far fewer of the breasted hour glass shaped sex than the gruff hairy type. TPs are quite funny to look at but not to talk to 'cos they're a shower of gits
    It was a joke.....though there is well more girls per student in physics than tp i'd be think'n. And the tp's are sound.... heck i was one... as was myth so point proven etc ;) n isn't like the physoc auditor a tp this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Ah svets what a man

Get teh ADV MAT to explain it to you after corishs lecture in chem. You can leave that course to the last few weeks before the exams really is a joke of a corse once you realise what a bravais lattice is in the repriocal of repriocal space and can prove it...... ONE WHOLE EXAM QUESTION THAT about 10 lines or so.Trust me on this one.

EM is a pain in the arse just have to learn 17 pages back and front off by heart but practice every now and then and its cool!!

Materials will be laughing at the physics heads come exams cause they miss out on half of the physics and thats replaced by chemisry which is a piece of piss .Good oul Morto what a legend that man is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

aerogelhigh0jl.jpg

Ooh, I know what that is!! It's that super low-density aerogel, isn't it deadly!? And it's a colloid too..

Just as a reminder..

19.30 tonight! reception in IAMS with FREE REFRESHMENTS
    In the conferance room (ground floor directly behind the stairs afaik).
    all welcome (we might goad you into joining however) :)

• Advertisement

Why didn't I get my email...I joined 'n' all.

blame gordo...all his fault

how was it? Couldn't go, was too sick.

A piece of advice, do not mix grape and grain on an empty stomach. Ouch my head. Ah no gordo (aka dear leader) is leg. And I've apparently been elected physoc rep for JS, how that happened I am unsure. Especially since I only know five JS physics students by name and face, including myself.
    TimAy wrote:
    how was it? Couldn't go, was too sick.
    Excellent, got Dr Finch into his usual flurry as a bunch of us explained to him the wonders of mp3 players.. The man is a legend!

Drank the place dry.

Then moved onto the pav where numerous units of alcohol were consumed. Banter about religion, death, Kim Jong-il and pirate talk. Of course all in a silly take the piss way. I think. I was a bit drunk so maybe they were laughing at me and not with me. Meh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I saw him on the luas and I wanted to ask him for his autograph. He is quite the legend.
    "Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons, Two electrons"

That sounds like Radiohead song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

is this communications / careers thing for real? Or did I hallucinate it whatever day it was on? I had to look down and take deep breaths to stop myself bursting into hysterical laughter. :D

And then people started asking questions and using words like "nebulous", which she then added to her list of buzzwords, like "flexibility" and crap like that.

It was so funny.

And we have to split up into groups, and fill out career notebooks and do projects, its like CSPE all over again.

Did anybody else find it hilarious when those left standing up after the first question started looking around self consciously? Ah brilliant.

pseudonym wrote:
    Did anybody else find it hilarious when those left standing up after the first question started looking around self consciously? Ah brilliant.

it was a bit embarassing when i realised the rest of you were a load of slackers who hadn't given their future much thought at all.

i like the careers thing - it's 3.5% of the year. remember, this is the year that half the class fail without the wonderful safety net of supplementals, i'm clinging to any marks i can get.

on another topic, i enjoyed shvets stuff about antartic expeditions and pictures of structures yesterday, but wtf was going on with the reciprocal vector things today?

pseudonym wrote:
    And then people started asking questions and using words like "nebulous",
    You mean Oisin. Yeah oisin has had a year to script everything he's going to ask in each lecture. I'm sure he has done countless such scenarios in role-playing games he's made up himself.
    pseudonym wrote:
    It was so funny.

And we have to split up into groups, and fill out career notebooks and do projects, its like CSPE all over again.
    Just wait til Dennis Weaire comes along on and shows us all how to make a powerpoint presentation. He'll even go into what sort of language we should use. You'll love it.. in the same way you love sitting in a completely grey room for 10 hours with a loud repetitive beep going off and a sprinkler spraying in your face.
    Cuckoo wrote:
    it was a bit embarassing when i realised the rest of you were a load of slackers who hadn't given their future much thought at all.
    Oh yeah.. forgot you were Oisin's sidekick in this debacle ;) Ah.. I found the lecture annoying, but for a different reason. Already know what I wanna do, gotta concentrate now on getting the grades to acquire said direction. So kinda wanna concentrate on that for the mo if you don't mind nice careers people...
    Cuckoo wrote:
    i like the careers thing - it's 3.5% of the year. remember, this is the year that half the class fail without the wonderful safety net of supplementals, i'm clinging to any marks i can get.
    Here here, I'll grin and bare it... tis a tough ol year anyhow without starting out -3.5%. Last year it wasn't worth any marks yet was "mandatory". Riiight...
    Have to say though pseudonym, even if you get nothing from it. Just do what's been prescribed, might be the difference between a grade for ya. And for what? A couple piece of piss questions and a booklet to fill out etc.

I'll give credit where credit's due though, the Careers Guidance people are fantastic when you go to see them. When they come to see you however and bump in on your academic life tis a bit annoying so I can very much understand pseudo's attitude.
    Cuckoo wrote:
    on another topic, i enjoyed shvets stuff about antartic expeditions and pictures of structures yesterday, but wtf was going on with the reciprocal vector things today?
    haha didn't I warn yis. Ah no crystal structure is relatively handy otherwise. He explained it better this year than last year. Grab a book and look up reciprocal lattices, they're not so bad.

Also hey people, come on lets get some traffic into the forum in www.duphysoc.org come onnnn!! You don't need to be a member to post, just register a handle and post away!

looks rather dead....

• Advertisement

Serenity wrote:
    looks rather dead....
    the website forum? Em, yeah hence the reason I'm trying to get traffic there.. :)

Advertisement