Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish language still relevant to our daily lives?

Options
  • 18-08-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Is the Irish language still relevant? Throughout the last year, several debates have cropped up on this subject, all of which seem to float around the primary issue: is the language still relevant to our daily lives?

Indeed, in the education domain, many are still arguing over whether or not Irish should be compulsory whilst, in politics, we see that the 'Dingle/An Daingean' controvery has yet to die down.

Irish speakers take solace in the fact that Gaeltacht's are seemingly booming - however, could this be simply down to a NEED for students not to fail Irish? On the flipside, totally contradicting this, we see that Chinese is now more commonly spoken than Irish in our country.

Personally, I hear somebody speaking Irish perhaps once a year here and - as a result - I don't feel it's really relevant to our daily lives or our Irish identity, though does anyone feel any differently?

I've read several debates on this before - though I'd be interested to see your opinions reflected in terms of a poll on the matter...

Is the Irish language still relevant to our daily lives and our Irish identity? 53 votes

Yes, it's relevant to our daily lives and our Irish identity
    0%
    No, it's not relevant to our daily lives and our Irish identity
    100%
    OSiriSCivilian_TargetDunGaelJohnny_the_foxGoodshapedreginDempseyChongHagarFlukeyiornmanCatsmokinpotluckattbaSuaimhneacheirmailOral SlangMr.Nice GuyGileadi 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I hear it in school and thats about it. Signsposts and forms have Irish on them but again thats it and seeing as I read them in English it wouldn't be a part of my life there.

It's safe to say that to me, at least, it doesn't really exist outside the educational circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

no i dont think it is relavent to our daily life's....

i never speak the language and dont tend to.........

the only time i do speak it is in school,so.....................

and i never hear people talking in the lauguage outside school!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Speaking from a neutral stand point, the Irish Language is a part of your countries national identity. Its quite a beautiful language , the only problem is that its very badly thought in Primary and Secondary Levels.

yeh your right in some ways,it is apart of our country.........

but it isent taught bad in some secondary schools...........

but it is taught very bad in primary............i never learnt a thing!

but the school i in at the moment they teach irish well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Not voting on this one.
    In general, I dont think it's relevant to the daily lives of the majority.
    However, I do think that it is an important part of our identity, heritage and culture, and as WDK pointed out, should be taught better in school.

I came from a school where I didn't have a class. They didn't give me an Irish teacher because I was the only honours student in 6th year, I was better than the 2 main teachers the school had anyway. I learned more Irish from going to Summer courses in the gealtacht than I ever did in secondary school.

• Advertisement

i learnt more in reading a irish book than what i did learn in primary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I had a good rant about this over on the Gigsmart Forum a couple of months ago.

Synopsis: if it was part of our identity we'd make it part of our daily lives. The majority of us don't, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

If it's relevant in our lives it's 'cos the government make it relevant for the sake of being relevant...

we dont need irish,we need deutsch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I voted yes, If only because it's something unique to being Irish and anything that can reinforce our identity in the world and keep the lines from getting blurred is a good thing in my book.

I think the language is only going to slip away more and more as the years go on if there isn't a major reform of the way it's taught in primary and secondary schools.
    It should be taught more along the same lines as the modern European languages, with more emphasises on the modern day to day usage of it rather then getting bogged down in the technicalities of it.

After some 12 years of Irish and 6 of German I've come away a much better German speaker, with little or no Irish skills to speak of. I think that sums up the teaching of Irish in this country, It's terrible.

Funny thing is since leaving secondary my appreciation of the language has increased and have probably learned more since leaving then I ever did while there.

• Advertisement

Nah, 日本語 tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

People judge the relevance of the Irish language by whether we speak it or not. Certainly, few of us speak it, but it still surrounds you in many ways. It is part of our culture. The place you live in and all place names, steet names, etc. are in two languages. Not only that though, but even many of the English names come from the Irish names, in two ways. First we have the direct translations and then we have the mispronounciations of the original Irish names. Sometimes the Irish and English names have direct connections and sometime they don't. The classic example of them not doing so is Dublin. As most of you will know, Dublin comes from Dubh Linn, meaning Black Pool. The Irish name used for Dublin, Baile Átha Cliath has a completely different meaning and in fact relates to a different places. It refers to the crossing of the hurdle ford. Baile Átha Cliath and Dubh Linn were two separate settlements on the Liffey which grew and became what is now Dublin. Both names have survived.

Any place in Ireland called Ballysomething comes from Baile, meaning own. Kil or Kill at the beginning of a name comes from Cill, an old Irish word for church. There are many other names or words as part of names that come from Irish. Dún means fort. Derry comes from Doire meaning a wood.

There are lots of everyday words in use that come from Irish that we use. Probably the most obvious is Taoiseach. Organisations like RTE or CIE use the Irish names for themselves. Irish is everywhere around you in obvious and not so obvious ways.

So yes, you may not speak it or hear it very often, but for these few reasons I've given and for many, many others it certainly has a big relevance to us and our culture. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only kidding themselves or has absolutely no understanding of their identity, their culture or their country. Whether we speak it or not has very little to do with that.

deutsch ist sehr sehr gut..

ich bin deutsch.....

irisch ist nicht so gut..........

If I had my compu I'd 日本語 you so bad right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

A lot of brave men and women faught a war so as not to be speaking German. :)

Lol...

Flukey wrote:
    People judge the relevance of the Irish language by whether we speak it or not. Certainly, few of us speak it, but it still surrounds you in many ways. It is part of our culture. The place you live in and all place names, steet names, etc. are in two languages. Not only that though, but even many of the English names come from the Irish names, in two ways.

But those are just the names of things. That's very different to the language itself. I wouldn't suggest we abandon teaching of our history or change whatever the locals of any given place call their home, but teaching the language is another thing entirely. It's no longer relevent in the day to day lives of most Irish people. We speak English, it's our first language. People can spend their time bitching and moaning about how the English changed our culture blah blah while drinking pints of Guiness in the local GAA club but it doesn't change anything about the fact. It's in our past, not our present. Who we are now is what defines our cultural identity, not the redundant parts of our history.

The time which is wasted on teaching Irish could be spent teaching people a useful skill. It's easy for some of us to sit at home, at work, or in college, on our expensive computers arguing about preserving our "identity" and other abstractions like that, but there are a lot of people without that luxury that will have a hard enough time getting by without wasting 3-4 hours of learning almost every week for 13 years on something that won't ever put food on the table. To non-native speakers, Irish has no practical use except it's rather ineffective self-perpetuation. It shouldn't be taught in schools, and it shouldn't be a requirement for college or teaching.

If we're going to learn a second language in school it should (at least optionally) be one that will help in later life: French, German, Polish or better still, Mandarin.

Imo, studying Irish should be left to the scholars who have the interest in it, and the time for higher cultural persuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If we, the americans and candians spoke spanish, and if the "international language" was spanish the results of the poll may be different. Many resent speaking the language of "the oppressor" and that is why they are so adamant to keep Irish there rather than just give in to practicality. A lot of french and german people can speak english, but do not, due to the seemingly international hatred of "the brits", whereas the dutch, who have no real beef with the brits, speak it freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

BizzyC wrote:
    Not voting on this one.
    In general, I dont think it's relevant to the daily lives of the majority.
    However, I do think that it is an important part of our identity, heritage and culture, and as WDK pointed out, should be taught better in school.
    Agreed. Daily lives - not so much so, but it's still important. I think it took me until I started traveling outside of Ireland to fully realise that. It's a damn shame and also a bit embarising to admit that yes, we do have a language and yes, it is beautiful... but no, I don't know a word of it.

And it's not a 'hatred of the brits' thing either. It's a national identity thing. Practically everyone speaks (or can speak) English in Europe, and much of the rest of the world. But then they turn to their mates and start blabering away in 'their own' language and your left thinking 'damn, wish I could do that'.

Goodshape wrote:
    It's a national identity thing. Practically everyone speaks (or can speak) English in Europe, and much of the rest of the world. But then they turn to their mates and start blabering away in 'their own' language and your left thinking 'damn, wish I could do that'.

I've had the same experience, and tbh, I'd think I'd learn Irish properly if I had the time. But unless people want to learn it, they won't. You can't lay the ultimate blame on the education system, flawed as it is. The language is dead because the people of Ireland don't really want it to be alive, in spite of what they might claim. If every person that thinks Irish should be forced on unwilling students just shut the **** up and went to learn the language themselves they might actually succeed in resurrecting it.

Live and let live. For the vast majority of us the Irish language is only a part of our history.

• Advertisement

I've had the same experience, and tbh, I'd think I'd learn Irish properly if I had the time. But unless people want to learn it, they won't. You can't lay the ultimate blame on the education system, flawed as it is. The language is dead because the people of Ireland don't really want it to be alive, in spite of what they might claim. If every person that thinks Irish should be forced on unwilling students just shut the **** up and went to learn the language themselves they might actually succeed in resurrecting it.

Live and let live. For the vast majority of us the Irish language is only a part of our history.
    I don't agree with that point. The education system is most peoples first interaction with languages other then English and despite twice the effort being put into Irish then the other languages it still fails as a subject and if anything instils this "hatred" of the language in most people.
    That's my experience of it anyway and the reason why I never felt interested in learning Irish at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

pauln wrote:
    I don't agree with that point. The education system is most peoples first interaction with languages other then English and despite twice the effort being put into Irish then the other languages it still fails as a subject and if anything instils this "hatred" of the language in most people.
    That's my experience of it anyway and the reason why I never felt interested in learning Irish at school.
    Then perhaps the solution is a reform of how Irish is taught, rather than abandoning it.

Then perhaps the solution is a reform of how Irish is taught, rather than abandoning it.
    I'm with you on that, I don't think abandoning it would be a good thing, but reform is badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

its a shame that the english language took hold so well, we just dont use it enough, but it is still part of our heratige and people have fought and died for our right to use it so i think it should be kept. its a deadly language aswell its so unique in its makeup i love it to bits even though im not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

I do my best to use the little irish i have, and feel its very sad as a nation we are loseing this important part of our heritage and culture,,, I was on the lash last sat night with the Gf who is Lativan, and in the Taxi rant she got talking to some guy, Who said to her that he was 100% Irish, So started talking to him in the Irish i had thaught her, and of course he did not understand her, So then he dropped his claim, to being 70% Irish, i think this is embarrassing as a nation we cannot speak our own langage,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Does anyone here think that the auld teanga has been made a bit more popular amongst young people as a result of influences such as Hector Ó hEochagáin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I like Irish, and I've found that alot of foreigners who come over here like to learn a cúpla focail aswell, there was one Spanish guy who worked with me who said "Is maith liom cailíní"!! I thought it was great! not the usual póg mo thóin rubbish!
    another French girl actually started classes, I find it amazing that so many Irish people here say that there is no need for it and say how much they dislike the Irish language, and others come here and try their best to learn some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭miss_gonzo

I love the irish language and would love to learn a bit of it
    it really is beauitful, maybe in disuse in daily life but imporant in preserving irish culture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Irish is there, flowing under our consciousness - uisce faoi thalamh.

The way Irish is taught is one of the nastiest things about a thorougly nasty "educational" system. People are made to feel guilty for not learning something that is made to seem boring and difficult.

Go to one of the one-week Gaeltacht courses and you'll learn more Irish - and enjoy it more - than in a year in (almost) any school.

Advertisement