Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students: Q&A and Information on courses

Options
  • 03-08-2005 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

It's this time of year again where people frantically ask questions that may decide the direction their life will take. It was suggested by our ever venerable SU education officer that this thread might be set up and stickied to keep the questions together, and as an information source for others.

I hope he (Myth) will have more to add but in the meantime here you can find some official information on the college's courses: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/courses/index.html

Our own boards wiki page delves lightly into the College faculties and their courses: http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Trinity_College_Dublin

If you've any questions about courses, please don't hesitate to ask here. Though I'd ask that you could keep them as specific as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Our first question asked in a different thread I'm moving here and deleting that post.
    Evernal wrote:
    What fees do you pay to get into Trinity College?
    If I wanted to do Medicine, would I have to pay a 6000 Euro Tuition Fee? ( I'm not doing mdicine, its only an example)
    If I dont have to pay tuition fees, what fees do you pay for?

If you are an Irish citizen and you apply to the college through the CAO using your leaving cert or A-level results to make up your entry points. Then you won't have to pay college fees any more than you would have to had you gone to any other public college/university in the country. That is only with the exception of the government registration fees of 700 euro or so (you may be entitled not to pay this depending on what your parents earn).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Evernal

If I was to apply to 5 Courses would it be 700 * 5 = 3500 I would have to pay?
    If I was to apply to five courses, do you think there is a high chance of getting into the college itself?

Evernal wrote:
    If I was to apply to five courses, do you think there is a high chance of getting into the college itself?
    Emmm....

Maybe it would help if you told us a little more about yourself, as in what year in school you are in. Are you doing the leaving cert? Are you an irish citizen?

Cos to be honest you don't seem to know how the CAO works..

5th yr in Leaving Cert.
    Yes, I was always an Irish Citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Evernal wrote:

The fee is a registration fee - so it's not an application cost. If you were to accept entry into more than one course, and for some reason you were admitted, the state would only cover fees for one. The free fees initiative only covers students in full-time education who are doing the year for the first time (repeating for first year - you have to pay fees; changing course to do a different first year - you have to pay fees).

• Advertisement

When I said apply to five courses, I mean that I want to get 1 of them, so if I was declined one, then there is a chance of getting into another course!

Okay then to answer your question:

On the CAO you can apply for 10 degree courses in any Irish public university. You put them in order of preference. You will get the highest placed course on this list that you have enough points for. So in essence you only really apply for one course. You can only possibly attend ONE of these courses anyhow. And since you only pay the registration fee for the course you attend (as opposed to the one's you applied for) you can only pay it once.

So you can apply to 10 Trinity Courses, or 10 different college courses?

CAO handbook is online. Should answer some questions on how the CAO works...

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook.php

Evernal wrote:
    if I was declined one, then there is a chance of getting into another course!
    Not really. This is why you write them on your CAO in order of preference, so if you want course A over course B. Then put A as number one and B as number two. So if you get enough points say for both courses you will only be offered course A as it was your higher preference. That explain it well enough?

EDIT:
    Yeah thanks myth: Read that link he posted Evernal, it will answer all your questions

• Advertisement

Evernal wrote:
    So you can apply to 10 Trinity Courses, or 10 different college courses?

You can apply for 3 Trinity, 4 UCD, 1 Sligo....You have 10 places, use them as you wish...

I understand what ur saying, so it goes this way, I place 10 different Trinity Courses in order of my own preference, so does this mean I am guaranteed or there is a good chance I will get into Trinity

Evernal wrote:
    I understand what ur saying, so it goes this way, I place 10 different Trinity Courses in order of my own preference, so does this mean I am guaranteed or there is a good chance I will get into Trinity
    That is a personal thing and there is no way we could know. It depends on how many points the course you apply for is, and how many points you get in the leaving cert, dassit. We can't help you with this.

Myth wrote:
    You can apply for 3 Trinity, 4 UCD, 1 Sligo....You have 10 places, use them as you wish...

Why cant it be Trinity 5 or Trinity 7 or Sligo 3 etc?

What if I get 530 Points, and I cover all the points for every course then?

Evernal wrote:
    I'm beginning to think you are [wiki]trolling[/wiki]. Please don't lead me to think this anymore.
    Evernal wrote:
    What if I get 530 Points, and I cover all the points for every course then?
    No.
    Many courses last year were over 530: http://www.cao.ie/institutions/DEG04.HTM#trd

I'll quit asking questions then seen as Im been accused of something called trolling.
    I just like to find out answers to questions I don;t know, but if I can't do that then I might as well unregister as a memeber of this website.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    It's this time of year again where people frantically ask questions that may decide the direction their life will take.

If you've any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here. .

I thought I could do this, ask any questions but it's not allowed! :(

Evernal wrote:
    I thought I could do this, ask any questions but it's not allowed! :(
    It was solely the following that lead me to think you were trolling:
    Myth wrote:

You ask a strange question that is clearly and blatantly answered in what you quoted. Why? Are you trying to waste our time? We're very willing to answer people's genuine questions, but I have no patience for time-wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

http://www.skoool.ie/skoooltime.asp

Is another guide to the CAO applications process and has information about careers.

FAO Evernal: The CAO application process isn't complicated once you have a read about it, and if your school has a Career Guidance person they'll be talking to your classes about it over the next two years.

• Advertisement

I thought that he was saying you could only apply to 3 Trinity Courses, I misunderstood what if he said, but I'm happy to know now that I can apply more than 3 to Trinity.

I have never been accused of anything on other boards and I don't want it to start now, so I think I'm better off staying away from these boards for a while until it's safe to post or maybe I will go onto another Trinity Board on other websites or something. :(

I found out a lot of information anyway, so thank you for that! ;)

Thanks Cuckoo, I have a Cuckoo Clock at home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

Evernal wrote:

I like this guy he is an idiot a retard at that but he does this on purpose and make the rest of yous look like a flock of quadraplejics ( spelling is irrevelent). Continue my good but simple sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Evernal wrote:
    I have knives at home. Stabby stabby!! *manic laugh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Originally Posted by Evernal

ROFLMAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Just wondering what the dealio with "scholarships" is? I was looking up the trinners website and trying to find something on it. Is it the "enterance exhibitions" and if so, d'you think I'd be eligable (got 590 pts and took law and German - 535). Also what do you get?

thanx
    :)

There's a huge amount of information as always in the college calendar. It's your one stop shop for all things academic.

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/College_Calendar/Part_I/pdf/t1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Just wondering what the dealio with "scholarships" is? I was looking up the trinners website and trying to find something on it. Is it the "enterance exhibitions" and if so, d'you think I'd be eligable (got 590 pts and took law and German - 535). Also what do you get?

thanx

yeah you'll get an entrance exhibition. anyone over 545 i think gets it, though given point inflation they might raise that threshold. but with 590 you'll be fine. you get about €250 split over 2 years (so 125 each year) in the form of a "book prize" - when you go to claim it you choose which bookshop (out of hodges figgis, waterstones and easons) you want to spend it in. some people go and "break" it in waterstone's to get lots of shop vouchers back which can then be used in hmv. but tbh it's handy to put towards the cost of books, particularly if you're doing something like law.

schols are something completely different. see the other thread in this forum, and check the calender like myth suggested. basically they're on the basis of special exams you take in your 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

Here's a summary for the smiley one as a Law and German student:-

You sit schol during the Easter break of second year. For Law and German, you’d do (i) four law exams (your choice from your German and Irish law subjects taught in the first two years, at least one subject from each year) worth 80% of the total marks and (ii) two written and an oral German exams, worth 20%. If you get a II.I (60%+) overall and in individual second year subjects, you are exempt from sitting them in the summer of second year. If you get a first (70%+) overall, you get schol, ie free rooms, dinner and fees (which is relevant at postgrad level) for up to five years. It’s a very good idea to try them. One girl in Law and German got it this year and two people in the year who just finished have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

thanks for all the help, will check it out!

Advertisement