Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-09-2008, 21:58   #1366
UpTheAshes

Solicitor

Or you could try Louis McDonough of Ml. O'Connell,Solrs., The Square, Listowel.
Advertisement
26-09-2008, 22:56   #1367
elmolesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell Road View Post
Try Pierce and Fitzgibbon of Market St. or Maurice O'Sullivan of Colbert St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheAshes View Post
Or you could try Louis McDonough of Ml. O'Connell,Solrs., The Square, Listowel.
Thanks
27-09-2008, 10:54   #1368
Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

Maybe it is a sign of the times, that more people look at the pictures from the races and the Best Dressed Lady, than looked at the church newsletter.

It is good to see more people contributing to The Thread.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 26th Sunday 28-9-8.doc (39.5 KB, 57 views)
28-09-2008, 01:19   #1369
Ferris+Enright

Ferris and Enright families in Listowel

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I am researching my family.
My father was John Ferris his father Daniel. My grandmother was Catherine Enright. This was many years ago. My father was born in 1899 and last of 11 children. He came to America in 1920. I visited Listowel this past November 2007 and found the old house. He lived down the road from Presentation School (I believe). The area back then was called Gortacrossane. The area is straight up the road from the Water Works and before the Derre West (?). The farm was sold in 1945 to the Hayes family. Mr. Hayes was kind to let me visit the old homestead :)which now is used for farm equipment. My father never spoke of Ireland. I know it is a long time past and people are gone. I visited St. Mary's church and found out my father had many brothers and sisters. I knew of 3 and found out there were 11 in all. My grandfather died when my father was 11. My father never spoke of Ireland :(and I want to find out when my grandparents died from and what happened to the family. My father may have been raised after his father's death in one of those "industrial schools". Anybody have any idea how I could research this information? I have found in the Griffths list a Patrick Ferris in Gortacrossane in the 1845's or so. Don't know if he is great father or what. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
28-09-2008, 19:59   #1370
John Granville

Right of Way - Kenny's Height

I am hearing from another source that there is also some concern about the right of way to the Spa from the Kenny’s Height direction. Apparently some people have already contacted the Council about the matter. I look forward to hearing more about the situation. There are lots of items on the Internet about rights of way but some you may be interested in this one from Wicklow which had a Listowel connection!
http://www.augustuscullen.ie/pdfs/ne...ay_Article.pdf
Advertisement
29-09-2008, 08:10   #1371
Cherry Tree

kenny Heights

I have never actually walked the full way along the right of way so I do not know where the Kenny Heights access is. I walked up there with camera on Saturday and I could not locate it. Is it off Golf View?
29-09-2008, 11:32   #1372
UpTheAshes

Kenny's Height

There was a track or path in the woods starting just around where the well is/was(close to the Long Rock) and heading on up through the woods to the old railway line.It might well be overgrown now from lack of use. A lot of people from the town and from Ballgologue used to walk along the track and then cut down through the woods. I used to cross fields belong to the Kenny-Tobin family to the path to come from Cahirdown to the river. I passed that way a thousand times or more to fish; first with a hook and worm, and later with a split cane fly rod.
29-09-2008, 11:35   #1373
John Granville

Kennys Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Tree View Post
I have never actually walked the full way along the right of way so I do not know where the Kenny Heights access is. I walked up there with camera on Saturday and I could not locate it. Is it off Golf View?
I haven't walked that way for many years so I can't advise about the current access(if any). Perhaps one of the locals will tell you? Liam Grimes, Raymond Barrett, Pierce Walsh?
29-09-2008, 21:24   #1374
Bridewell Road

Ferris and Enright

The Enright family is mentioned in the 1901 census,try 1901 census Iraghticonner Barony,then go to Listowel civil parish. You could also email the National Archives -:mail@nationalarchives.ie or write to them National Archives ,Bishop St.,Dublin 8 ,Tel:+353 1 4072300.
Good Luck.
Advertisement
01-10-2008, 14:01   #1375
John Granville

1953 Photo

The occasion of the photo was the North Kerry Show – the then annual agricultural show held each year at the end of June in the Sportsfield. Correctly identified were:- Tommy Dalton, Noreen & Eileen Scanlon, Paddy Moloney, Gene Moriarty and the Sullivans of Charles St. I’m not sure about Kathleen Sullivan. I cannot recall her. Babe Joe Wilmot is not in the photo, nor is “The Mike”.
I'll try to identify as many as I can within the next few days and post on the thread. In the meantime, can you spot a very young Joe Guerin? He's towards the left of the back row.
01-10-2008, 21:25   #1376
Emmets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolesto View Post
Hi all,

Got caught speeding in Listowel about a month ago

I think I have a case and want to challenge it

I need a Listowel based solicitor. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Try Owen McMahon of McMahon Solicitors....http://www.pgmcmahon.com/index.html They are based in Newcastlewest Co. Limerick but Owen also opens an office in Listowel one day a week. Excellent solicitor along with his deceased brother Garry are/were two born and bred Listowel men from the famous McMahon Literary family...
02-10-2008, 01:35   #1377
Ferris+Enright

Sorry, what is the website for the 1901 census with the Enright family in it?
03-10-2008, 10:48   #1378
Lovely writer

Census website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris+Enright View Post
Sorry, what is the website for the 1901 census with the Enright family in it?
I did not look through all of it but you may be able to find it on this link.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/cenlist.html
03-10-2008, 12:11   #1379
XsarahraffertyX

Mr dean Foran from Listowel

wooo!
anyone know dean foran from listowel?
he's such a nice bloke aint he.??
x
x
x
04-10-2008, 00:53   #1380
listowel8

1953 picture

that is Maurice Cahill(small sq.) in front of junior griffin and maybe eugene mcguinness next to maurice.A lot of out of towners in the picture.what a great day it used to be.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion