Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf into Ireland?

Options
  • 23-03-2005 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

They were wiped out in Ireland around about 1800.
    www.ucd.ie/gsi/pdf/33-2/lupus.pdf

I believe that under EU Habitat and Species Directive 1992, the government is required to investigate the reintroduction of extinct native species.

The wolf and other native extinct animals are to be reintroduced into the highlands of Scotland.

Do you think a similar scheme would be feasible in the most remote parts of Donegal?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

arent wolves in general found in more of a woodland habitat. donegals nothing but hills and...well more hills. wolves are cool animals, but i can see a mass gathering of farmers hunting them down, for attacking betsy, or dolly, or whatever the cool sheep are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Kiith wrote:
    arent wolves in general found in more of a woodland habitat. donegals nothing but hills and...well more hills. wolves are cool animals, but i can see a mass gathering of farmers hunting them down, for attacking betsy, or dolly, or whatever the cool sheep are called.
    Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'd support it assuming it was going to be handled properly. There would be a definite need for a refuge or sanctuary of pretty big proportions for them, but I'm sure it's feasible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sure- why not?
    Of course farmers will be pissed- what doesn't annoy them though?
    There were several different groupings of wolves in the country- if I remember my wildlife properly. We have large blocks of woodland- most of it state owned, but its not the decidious woodland that would have traditionally covered the country (its not even our native Scots pine and relatives eithers).

In today's world though- would we realistically be looking at wolves in the manner that is envisaged for reintroducing them into a native habitat? Their closest relative here, the fox, has largely been driven from the countryside, with larger populations of them recorded in urban areas at present than elsewhere. The wonderous misguided attempts to rid the countryside of badgers took a big toll on other species too.

What would the main diet of the wolves have been in the past? Rabbit/Hare? We have managed to decimate the population of these with Myximatosis (excuse my spelling)- so god only knows what a tainted rabbit might pass on to a wolf.......

What about other native species that ran with wolves? Boars for example? Can you see the populace being happy with wild boar terrorising the place? Or worse- with the horsey set deciding that it would be the perfect opportunity to implement a *proper* hunt once again, and have roasted boar at their balls? It would be all their dreams come true......

While many of the EU directives are more than a tad bizzare (I should know :( ) their directives on the environment are enlightened especially when one considers the cavalier attitudes of Irish people and their politicians to the environment, and conservation measures associated with it. For example- we fought for a derogation to allow us to continue to pollute our waterways with nitrates from surface runoff of overly applied fertilisers by farmers........

Sod it- introduce the wolves, radio collar them, and arrest anyone found looking suspiciously at them. Baa baa black sheep...... baaa baaa humbug......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Theres 5 in Dublin Zoo behind a big fence, best place for em tbh scary mofos.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

nope, there's no way we have the wildlife to support them now, most of our animals are very small, hell even foxes are being forced into urban areas to look for food.
    they'd just end up attacking cattle and sheep, there's no woodlands large enough for them anyway, those kind of animals hunt over huge areas.
    tis just not feasible with the changes that have taken place in the country in the last 200 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Will someone think of the children"

Look @ anywhere where there are wolves. Lots of people own guns. Lots of people know they are flippin dangerous.

Look @ Ireland. Look @ how many people own guns. Look @ how kids walk home from school in the countryside.

These aren't pets who have been trained not to attack humans.

These are predetors, who, in the coldeset days of winter, may attack your little 5 year old kid as they make a snowman. And they'll attack in a pack. And you won't be able to stop them, as you won't have a gun.

They died out for a reason. We don't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

only if they reintroduce deciduos forests into ireland first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Wolves are well dangerous....but i'd still like them back...but be carefull...this is a slippery slope people! You re-introduce one, you've gotta re-introduce 'em all for the food chain, and re-introduce habitats....for example, re-introduce wolves, you must re-introduce prey, the leprechaun. Re-introduce the leprechaun, re-introduce prey. Snakes. Re-introduce snakes......etc. etc. *

Sounds expensive.....can't we just put it into something more constructive, like e-voting?

*may not be FACT. Possibly made up, and/or forgotten again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

As long as they eat all of the sheep, I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

embee wrote:
    As long as they eat all of the sheep, I'm happy.

Is it OK if they leave the bones?

Not your ornery onager

Why not re-introduce dinosaurs? Ireland was part of a collective landmass all those years ago, and to the best of my knowledge are still extinct (natively and otherwise)

esel wrote:
    Is it OK if they leave the bones?

Well, bare carcasses equal dead sheep, so I suppose thats okay.

The ultimate goal here is death for sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

put wolves everywhere afaic

as long as they dont eat me and can neither talk nor control lasers well be safe

Chalk wrote:
    put wolves everywhere afaic

as long as they dont eat me and can neither talk nor control lasers well be safe

Ah sure that's too easy. Sure why not re-introduce wolves, and attach lasers to their head too?

Seriously though, I'd be against the wolf being reintroduced. Letting another creature into an eco-system may cause the native extinction of another.

dont be silly, we need more laser control not more wolf lasers.

serioulsy tho,
    in small numbers , reintroduced into sanctuaries slowly, perhaps in a few years time theyll be ready for proper reintroducion

True Myth, but wolves were a native species, unlike foxes, which came from France originally.

embee wrote:

bad lamb curry last night perchance?

True Myth, but wolves were a native species, unlike foxes, which came from France originally.
    it is one of those,
    eh we fecked up a while ago, lets put it right now kind of things isnt it.

if its some eco nuts trying to do this as a present to mother earth then im not as for it as i would be if its a proper thought thing tbh

stagolee wrote:
    bad lamb curry last night perchance?

It runs a hell of a lot deeper than that. Long story short, I hate sheep. So the re-introduction of wolves gets two thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement

embee wrote:

Surely there are more economical ways, if less fun ways, to kill sheep?
    I seem to remember the French coming up with a few imaginative ideas! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

If wolves were reintroduced to this country it would be the end for some of the other spices of animals that are in our eco system. The wild Deer in Kerry and around the Wicklow mountains would not survive for long as they have not had a natural predator for years. many other species would also be in danger of been wiped out pheasants hares and rabbits.
    Not only does this country no longer have the correct food chain to maintain a wild pack of wolves but the terrain is also not suitable of a wolf pack. A reasonable size pack would hunt over a large area and would kill a lot of farm animals. I known that some of you think that the farmers just complain about everything ( I must admit that some of then do :D ) but how would you like to weak up some morning and find out that you livelihood had been wipe out a pack of hungry wolves during the night. :eek:

smccarrick wrote:
    Surely there are more economical ways, if less fun ways, to kill sheep?
    I seem to remember the French coming up with a few imaginative ideas! :eek:

Gah, don't even get me started on the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whobrokethat

The wolf had its chance. It lost. It got its butt kicked. It's, like, so over, wolfie.

The wolf had its chance. It lost. It got its butt kicked. It's, like, so over, wolfie.

Do you want me to do the whole Jurassic Park/Jeff Goldblum speech about natural die-off vs hunted to extinction by artificial means?

Just thinking about this- farmers don't get headage payments for sheep anymore (and they can't very well compete with New Zealand lamb) so unless they enjoy subsidising a loss making enterprise (oddly enough a lot of them probably do) they no longer have any business keeping sheep, or cattle, or any other animals. Also- we cannot compete in the world grain market- because of insufficient mass....... so if farmers- who own most of the land anyway- have no good reason to (well to do anything other than twiddle their thumbs)- surely conservation of wolves, wild boar and any other inventive creatures we dream of, could be tied into their REPS (rural environment protection scheme) payments? We're already paying them to do nothing, why not get something for our money instead? Think of the warning signs on property- "You are entering private property at your own peril. Trespassers may be seriously injured or eaten" Whatever about wolves, wild boar are right assholes. We could even use it as an argument to prove we are protecting a delicate environment by keeping people away, and use it as a tourism ploy? How much damage can a few wolves do? Less than an average Friday night in Eyre Square........

embee wrote:
    It runs a hell of a lot deeper than that. Long story short, I hate sheep. So the re-introduction of wolves gets two thumbs up from me.
    but why sheep? theyre so... well, sheepish :confused:

If wolves were reintroduced to this country it would be the end for some of the other spices of animals that are in our eco system.

Fine by me- its only a pity the wolves don't mink and grey squirrels delicacies....

The wild Deer in Kerry and around the Wicklow mountains would not survive for long as they have not had a natural predator for years.

They'll adapt..... anyway the sheep will be easier to catch.....
    many other species would also be in danger of been wiped out pheasants hares and rabbits.

Many of these species are on the brink of extinction and only being kept in existence artificially anyhow. I have attended more pheasant releases in the last 20 years than I care to think about.
    Not only does this country no longer have the correct food chain to maintain a wild pack of wolves but the terrain is also not suitable of a wolf pack.

Food chains evolve constantly. Man is the ultimate predator at the top of the food chain. Allowing a competitor with man is what this entails, not an argument over scare resources, which isn't an air-tight argument.
    A reasonable size pack would hunt over a large area and would kill a lot of farm animals.

Perhaps the farmers could be enticed to farm animals for a new customer? They are being paid to do absolutely nothing- aka setaside anyhow- so surely this novel idea deserves a thought?
    I known that some of you think that the farmers just complain about everything ( I must admit that some of then do :D ) but how would you like to weak up some morning and find out that you livelihood had been wipe out a pack of hungry wolves during the night. :eek:

You'd feel wonderful if you were getting a hundred quid a head for each sheep you could prove was killed by a wolf. Wonderful stuff money. Farmers won't even need much training, they are well used to bribery already.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Could be start of a new film " The Wolfhunter" Starring Mossy De Niro,set in donegal mountains?

Joking aside there wild animals arent they,didnt read up on the 1800 reason but why were they killed off.Off topic someone said to me that stray wild cats are dying off now as a result of the wheelie bin.They cant claw through the plastic for some grub,excellent.smelly cats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The main problem would be wild dogs interbreeding - the dingo in Oz aren't that pure anymore. Otherwise fire away.

Might bring more tourists too.

maybe the wolves could be trained to eat say, rabbits instead of hares.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement