Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science students...

Options
  • 31-12-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

..Okay, clichéd question, but...which college gives a better degree, TCD or UCD, and why? I was just looking at the UCD site (reading about their new "Horizons" programme, which is like the broad curriculum, except you can do it in any year and take 2 modules from ANY department you want), and wandered to the science pages..I like that they give a B.Sc, and a lot of people say that they give a more comprehensive degree than TCD. Then again trinners are more "famous" worldwide, yadda yadda yadda..

Anyways, just give me some opinions, I'd be interested as to what you all think.

(I'm pasting this into the UCD forum too for fairness)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Trinity girls give better hea.... Hey Hey Kids

Dear god you were up early....or at least, I hope you were only coming in at yonder 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hrm ok well I have an extremely biased opinion on this since well im a trin girl ;) !

But anyhoo when I was doing the cao 'back in the day' I looked at the ucd science course aswell, but in the end felt the trin degree was better, for me anyway. I preferred the subject choices/combinations in trin and also there were more choices for me degree wise in the final years. I can do astrophysics here rather than just plain old physics, ye cant do that in ucd..this was a big plus for trin, aswell as the fact that well I like trin as a college more in general, ucd waayyy too concrete.. Also the points were way lower in ucd, and massive class sizes and the drop out rate at the time was reallly high, which kinda put me off. (well this was all like 2 years ago at least, I can only assume its still the same) So yeah trin I felt was better!!

Yeah I heard bout that horizons thing but we do have the broad curriculum thingy and tbh if youre doing a science degree im thinking youre doing it because you want to study that field so methinks broad curriculum is enough?

Yeah ucd is sometimes considered more sciency and you only get a 'B.A.' in trin (its still an honours deg at the end of the day) but meh imo trin is best :D

woh that was a long reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Damn, I hadn't noticed that we get a B.A. I wanted a B. Sc. cos it sounds like BSE. Damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Also the points were way lower in ucd

a the drop out rate at the time was reallly high,
    Points lower?
    What a stupid reason and a really flawed view of how the CAO system works.

Also, notice any correlation between those two points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Also the points were way lower in ucd

a the drop out rate at the time was reallly high,
    I hate to contend with you blank, but sangre's right. You've clearly misunderstood the system.

EDIT: I've heard this false impression from the other side of the coin too.. UCD people belittling a trinity science degree. Saying it's "too easy" etc (because of our lower drop out rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

or that our higher points mean we only allower smarter people in so they are much more likely to be able for the course? Which means our lecturers can go at a faster pace as a result?

Points lower? What a stupid reason and a really flawed view of how the CAO system works.
    I hate to contend with you blank, but sangre's right. You've clearly misunderstood the system.
    Well I completely agree with you! I know how the sys works and its got nothing to do with the quality of the course, just lowest points of last person blah blah. I didnt mean it in that context...i didnt really explain myself that well, totally didnt phrase the sentence properly! I meant to say that the lower points give people (not me in particular) the impression that ucd is not as good a course.

I had to type that damn post twice because it crashed grr :mad: So I sorta forgot to type that extra sentence the 2nd time, man was I pissed off..

Anyway yeah just forget bout that bit, not in the mood to explain today..me feeling lazy :D oh actually sky's post kinda explains it...

SkyLynx wrote:
    or that our higher points mean we only allower smarter people in

Nah not necessarily, you could get the minimum entry requirements for science/maths/tp for example, and still get through. Getting higher points doesn't generally make you smarter...Remember that girl in TP who got the highest points in the country? Well she left fairly quickly!*

*note, this might be a sign of intelligence

Anyway yeah just forget bout that bit, not in the mood to explain today..me feeling lazy :D oh actually sky's post kinda explains it...
    o well i do try be helpfull :)

• Advertisement

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Nah not necessarily, you could get the minimum entry requirements for science/maths/tp for example, and still get through. Getting higher points doesn't generally make you smarter...Remember that girl in TP who got the highest points in the country? Well she left fairly quickly!*

Maybe she thought the course was too easy?
    How does leaving equate to failing?

Twas a joke Sangre, I left myself :)

Sangre wrote:
    Maybe she thought the course was too easy?
    How does leaving equate to failing?
    o shut up taking life so seriously will ya, its an inside joke, if u don't get it don't say anything :rolleyes:

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    so we are smarter again for leaving TP? i like the sound of that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

One smart chick :eek:

Chick wrote:
    One smart chick :eek:
    well imo lc points arn't a reflection on intelligence at all, more on memory skills for the most part, certainly if u can get to 800points

don't think she was the smartest in our class anyhoo, maybe she just felt inferior feeling stupid with her high points ? ;)

[Edit]
    Speaking of which, u remember westie's 6 smart people thingy in first year dónal, best tutorial ever :) [/edit]

Whatd she go do instead do you know?

i heard commerce in galway at some point, tho i'm not really sure tbh...

Oh right, wonder why such a change...

SkyLynx wrote:
    o shut up taking life so seriously will ya, its an inside joke, if u don't get it don't say anything :rolleyes:
    Oh, how STUPID of me, I clearly misssed the part where it said inside joke, pffft. Thanks, next time I see something I won't say anything at all for fear of being reprimanded about the INSIDENESS of the joke. Phew, almost made a fool of myself there but thats probably why I'm not in Trinity.

Next time I want to clarify something I'll just keep my big mouth shut, sorry for jumping down your throat Ace_rimmer and insulting you, that was just uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

or that our higher points mean we only allower smarter people in so they are much more likely to be able for the course? Which means our lecturers can go at a faster pace as a result?
    D'ya reckon? I dunno what your lectures are like exactly but in my experience (and from what I've heard it's a pretty general consensus) people just don't ask questions in college. My lecturers would seemingly go the same speed whether people understand or not..
    SkyLynx wrote:
    Wooo touchy.. Methinks Ian doesn't like his outsiders that much eh? eh? :D

Maybe someone just got out the wrong side of the bed ;)

ApeXaviour wrote:
    D'ya reckon? I dunno what your lectures are like exactly but in my experience (and from what I've heard it's a pretty general consensus) people just don't ask questions in college. My lecturers would seemingly go the same speed whether people understand or not..
    i'm in with a special breed, who love to ask questions.... :rolleyes:
    Wooo touchy.. Methinks Ian doesn't like his outsiders that much eh? eh? :D
    just don't like random outsiders jumping down the troath of my m8's for stupid reasons, cause well twas funny for me :)

o can chick now that u mention it, i'm still in bed

ApeXaviour wrote:

Ive noticed people seem to ask a LOT more questions in lectures this yr (2nd) than they did in first year, guess people gain more confidence from year to year, I woulda thought they would ask even more in 3rd yr apex, well I guess not :) There's a couple of people who always ask the most irrelevant questions imaginable in my course- soo annoying (but funny when you see the look on the lecturers faces when they ask :D )

Ya lazy thing!! nearly half three and youre still horizontal :rolleyes:

anyways I have to go do house work :( the 'rents are gone on some kinda premature spring cleaner bender

Sangre wrote:
    Oh, how STUPID of me, I clearly misssed the part where it said inside joke, pffft. Thanks, next time I see something I won't say anything at all for fear of being reprimanded about the INSIDENESS of the joke
    u didn't need to take the aggressive posture, the whole thing looked like a skit anyway genius, with that part down the bottom.
    Phew, almost made a fool of myself there but thats probably why I'm not in Trinity.
    maybe so.
    Next time I want to clarify something I'll just keep my big mouth shut
    u won't find me complaining ;)

SkyLynx wrote:
    o can chick now that u mention it, i'm still in bed
    what a surprise :rolleyes: ;)

Ive noticed people seem to ask a LOT more questions in lectures this yr (2nd) than they did in first year, guess people gain more confidence from year to year, I woulda thought they would ask even more in 3rd yr apex, well I guess not :) There's a couple of people who always ask the most irrelevant questions imaginable in my course- soo annoying (but funny when you see the look on the lecturers faces when they ask :D )
    it varies from class to class quite a bit i'd some who did it in first year, rest of us more interested in trying to get out to the pub n they are asking bizzare questions from parts of the course we hadn't done yet..

I heard she was down in Cork. She registered here, then got her fees reclaimed for another year I remember (cos she was only here for 2 weeks) then CAO'd her ass again.

Methinks we discussed T.T. at length before Ian...

Oh, and yeah whoever said it had it right on...you can only judge a degree by what you want to do afterwards. But time for some more meaningless information: Science in TCD was 94th in the world, no other Irish Uni was anywhere to be seen.
    Sangre wrote:
    Next time I want to clarify something I'll just keep my big mouth shut, sorry for jumping down your throat Ace_rimmer and insulting you, that was just uncalled for.

Riiight...

• Advertisement

what a surprise :rolleyes: ;)
    i'll get up when its time for the pub :)

Advertisement