Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

That's a shocking number of Shotguns went for a walk last year!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Good to see that the numbers are very low though. Secure storage being mandated in law will bring that down futher I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Why the big fluctuation in shotguns?? Where they "the fashion" certain years?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

pampers wrote: »
    Why the big fluctuation in shotguns?? Where they "the fashion" certain years?

Twas when the Browning Cynergy came out, Bling,Bling baby:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Twas when the Browning Cynergy came out, Bling,Bling baby:D:D

Yeah yeah.......... I deserved that!:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From April 17:
    *613. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will give careful consideration to the firearms issues related to the running of the shooting phase of the youth B competition in the upcoming European modern pentathlon competition to be staged here from 2 to 7 July 2008; if this will be taken into consideration in the completion of the new firearms legislation; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Sea´n Barrett. [14600/08]
    And it's short answer (though this might shine some light into the recent AG-vs-restricted-list thread):
    613. Deputy Seán Barrett asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will give careful consideration to the firearms issues related to the running of the shooting phase of the youth B competition in the upcoming European modern pentathlon competition to be staged here from 2 to 7 July 2008; if this will be taken into consideration in the completion of the new firearms legislation; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14600/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Brian Lenihan): I can inform the Deputy that I have written to the Office of the Attorney General seeking advice in the matter.

A predictable one on the books today:
    60. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on whether
    it is satisfactory that Garda superintendents can not refuse firearm licenses on grounds of
    risks to public safety; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Tom Hayes.
    [21129/08]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    A predictable one on the books today:

Good catch. Is his question correct though, I thought a Super could refuse a license on the grounds of public safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Vegeta wrote: »
    Good catch. Is his question correct though, I thought a Super could refuse a license on the grounds of public safety.

Yep, the question is wrong because the Super ddidn't refuse on the grounds of public safety, but that the calibre was unsuitable and therefore unsafe.

The crux was the 'unsuitable' calibre which the judge held was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's a mighty weighted and leading question. One can only hope the response will not fall into such a blunt trap.

• Advertisement

On an unrelated matter :), could one of the mods do a spell check on the thread title?

It doesn't look good that we can't even spell parliamentary :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

rrpc wrote: »
    On an unrelated matter :), could one of the mods do a spell check on the thread title?

It doesn't look good that we can't even spell parliamentary :eek:

Fixed. ;)

IRLConor wrote: »
    Fixed. ;)

Ah here! Thats a cop out!

It's not fixed, now it's the wrong title! No such thing as Seanad questions... and there's at least one PQ from N.Ireland in here as well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Tom Hayes is a Fine Gael TD for Tipp South, which just happens to be my area. I shall have to send him a letter requesting clarification of his reason for such a question.

You could ask him why he's asked it two days running as well (though a lot of the questions today seemed to be carbon copies of yesterday, it might just be one of those things, especially with the reference numbers being the same):
    146. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on whether
    it is satisfactory that Garda superintendents can not refuse firearm licenses on grounds of
    risks to public safety; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Tom Hayes.
    [21129/08]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

working on draft now. will put it up as soon as

Missed from the 27th:
    405. Deputy Ciarán Lynch asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if there is regulation in regard to the sale of plastic pellet guns; if no regulation exists, if he will introduce controls; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20667/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The regime which applies to any such device depends on the muzzle energy. Section 1 of the Firearms Act, 1925 (as amended by Section 26 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006) provides that devices with a muzzle energy less than or equal to 1 joule do not fall within the definition of a firearm and consequently do not come within the firearms licensing regime.

I have no proposals at present for a change in that respect of our firearms legislation but will keep the matter under review.

Ah. In today's debates, this little note which explains why the PQ showed up twice:
    Questions Nos.7 to 87, inclusive, resubmitted.
    No answer to that question up yet.

From today:
    100. Deputy Frank Feighan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he is satisfied that the number of licensed handguns here has been steadily increasing in the past four years; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21130/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern):
    I have been informed by the Garda Authorities that there has been an increase in the number of handguns licensed in this jurisdiction since 2004 following a legal challenge taken on the temporary custody order made in 1972 by the then Minister for Justice.The following table shows the number of such firearms licensed each year since 2004.
    Year|Total(cumulative number)
    2007/08*|1,787
    2006/07|1,367
    2005/06|946
    2004/05|305
    * 2007/08 figures are operational, provisional and liable to change.

It should be noted that the total number of hand guns licensed is less than one per cent of all licensed firearms in the State. The House may be interested to know that in this State, in the region of 200,000 people own approx. 231,000 firearms. I should also add, to put the matter in context, that our definition of what is a firearm is among the most stringent to be found in any jurisdiction. Under the Firearms Act 1925, any device with a muzzle energy greater that one joule is regarded as a firearm. Many countries, for example, do not require a licence for a wide range of sporting firearms which are all treated as part of the firearms regime here.

Obviously, the key concern of my Department is public safety. The Criminal Justice Act 2006, when fully brought into force, will modernise and tighten up the law in relation to firearms certificates. Section 32 provides that a number of conditions must be met before a firearms certificate can be granted, which include the applicant having a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which a certificate is applied for and that the person can be permitted to possess the firearm without danger to public safety or security. A further condition is that the person has provided secure accommodation for the firearm and ammunition. Under the section the applicant has to provide the names and addresses of two referees who may be contacted to attest to the applicant’s character. An applicant must also provide written consent for any enquiries in relation to the applicant’s medical history that may be made from a health professional. The section also provides for the making of regulations providing for secure accommodation for firearms and these will be made at the earliest possible date.

I intend to bring the remaining parts of the Act 2006 into force as quickly as possible and I will bring forward some technical amendments to enable their commencement, in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which will be published in the coming weeks.

I am also conscious that some recent court judgements may have a bearing in this matter and will have them examined in this context.

I'm starting to think that the PQ database must have taken a kicking or something in the past two days, because I've been searching for relevant PQs and so far I've found two being answered that weren't in the original question lists.

• Advertisement

Also answered today:
    146. Deputy Tom Hayes asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on whether it is satisfactory that Garda superintendents can not refuse firearm licenses on grounds of risks to public safety; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21129/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I can inform the House that Section 4, Firearms Act 1925 addresses conditions of grant of a firearm certificate and specifies that the Superintendent shall, before granting a firearm certificate, be satisfied that the applicant:
    (a) has a good reason for requiring the certificate,
    (b) can be permitted to have in his possession, use, and carry a firearm or ammunition without danger to the public safety or to the peace, and
    (c) is not a person declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearms certificate.

It is, therefore, clear that a Superintendent must always consider public safety when determining the granting of any firearm certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Still - good to see a measured response from the Minister.

The questions - especially Tom Hayes - were stirring a bit and he simply dazzled them with the facts.

Good to see.

B'Man

It was a tabloidesque quetion tbh and the Minister dealt with it admirably. Although I'm sure the people in Crime 4 had somthing to do with it as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nice to read.Also the reply to the handguns question. No bowing to the gallery and placating the scaremongers. Nicely focused on need, character of aplicant and legal prohibitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Fair play to the Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah a decent response. I've no doubt Garret and the other members of the firearms division of the DoJ had something to do with the answers. Fair play lads if you're reading this.

Straight talking is the only way to answer those type of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

"Under the section the applicant has to provide the names and addresses of two referees who may be contacted to attest to the applicant’s character."

May I ask who can be used or considered able to give a decent character reference? Would an employer, local TD or even University lecturer be one?:confused:

astraboy wrote: »
    "Under the section the applicant has to provide the names and addresses of two referees who may be contacted to attest to the applicant’s character."

May I ask who can be used or considered able to give a decent character reference? Would an employer, local TD or even University lecturer be one?:confused:

That stuff hasn't been commenced yet astraboy, so it's not relevant right now.

Submitted today:
    *787. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number, type and
    calibre of firearms for which licences have been issued each year for the past five years
    up to 31 July 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Charles Flanagan.
    [22612/08]
    *797. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licences
    that have issued for legally held hand guns in each of the past five years. — John Deasy.
    [22772/08]
    *798. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the plans he has to
    restrict the licensing of hand guns here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. —
    John Deasy. [22773/08]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Do we know who is asking these questions?

Cant help thinking something is brewing??

Advertisement