Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

chem wrote: »
    You have even been caught up in the media miss information. 1,700 licenced handguns and growing fast? There were alot more licenced handguns in Ireland before the ban in the 70`s.

There is no misinformation in my post. Factually, it's about 1,700 and growing fast. I made no comparision to pre-1972. You are welcome to do that if you wish and if you have the figures but don't ascribe it to me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

BornToKill wrote: »
    There is no misinformation in my post. Factually, it's about 1,700 and growing fast. I made no comparision to pre-1972. You are welcome to do that if you wish and if you have the figures but don't ascribe it to me please.

Who said the figure is growing fast? Do you have information on the amount of licences pending?

I made the comparision of the 1972 ban to try to show that Ireland was not a lawless land just because there were licenced pistols in it.

Born to kill. I see your in Dundalk? Im close to dundalk. Id like to invite you to the range some day if you were interested? Id show you saftey 1st and 2nd and 3rd then I will show you how to hold the rifle and how to opperate it. Then we might get in afew shots. Its up to you!

Hey, that's nice of you so thanks and I'd like to take you up on the offer. It's a little presumptious of you to assume that I don't know how to hold or fire a rifle but the invitation is kind.

I'm not bothered by guns (after all I have one) - I'm trying to make the point that a lot of people are, and that they are neither informed nor care about the technicalities (calibres, etc).

This trouble has been brought down on our heads by persistently challenging the system through the courts. Not the early cases which had merit but the later 'I want one and you can't stop me getting it' challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ASFIK,the figs for 1972 was somthing like 600 handguns handed in in the TCO..
    So given 35 years and a pouplation increase of???Thousand.
    Is it a huge increase really?Taking into consideration wealth that we could afford these as well??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Who said the figure is growing fast? Do you have information on the amount of licences pending?

Just go back a couple of pages in this PQ thread:

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I propose to take Questions Nos. 797 and 798 together.

I have been informed by the Garda authorities that there has been an increase in the number of handguns licensed in this jurisdiction since 2004 following a legal challenge taken on the temporary custody order made in 1972 by the then Minister for Justice. Prior to that it was generally not the practice to issue licenses for handguns.

I am informed by the Garda Commissioner that the number of licenses issued for handguns in the licensing years since the legal challenge is as follows:

Year(1 August to 31 July ) Total(Cumulative Number)
    2007/08* 1701
    2006/07 1367
    2005/06 946
    2004/05 305

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You don't have to like the name. Neither does 'Bunny Shooter' who finds it silly. Irony?.........

:o

I didn't say it was silly, maybe antagonistic, open to question about who/what you were born to kill ?

Mine explains where my homocidal tendacies lie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

i wonder how many people lived in ireland in 1972 v now 2008
    population increase and ratio firearms ownership now
    thank you in advance:)steve

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

thehair wrote: »
    i wonder how many people lived in ireland in 1972 v now 2008
    population increase and ratio firearms ownership now
    thank you in advance:)steve

Population at the 1971 census: 2,978,248
    Population at the 2006 census: 4,239,848

Handguns in 1972: 600 (Grizzly's number)
    Handguns in 2007: 1701

Handguns per 1,000,000 then: 201
    Handguns per 1,000,000 now: 401

IRLConor wrote: »

you can not beat good info steve thank you connor:cool:

Well your "handle", BorntoKill, ... is a bit silly to say the least

You did say it and maybe you're right but it's my handle.

• Advertisement

You did say it and maybe you're right but it's my handle.

Did I say silly :o Can't deny it now :D Don't get upset about it ;)

Did I say silly :o Can't deny it now :D Don't get upset about it ;)

OK I won't. I am very sensitive. :)

OK I won't. I am very sensitive. :)

that good to know how sensitive you are:) that handle
    born to kill now that is a great handle for a sensitive person:D

.......I am very sensitive. :)

Now you're like the limping wildebeast, the lions will have you soon :D

hi bunny i was going to say to you i bet you THEN i stopped borntokill
    is a bookie he might report me for online betting:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

IRLConor wrote: »

And to put those numbers in perspective:

Handguns per 1,000,000 in the UK preceding the 1998 ban: approx 2,800
    Handguns per 1,000,000 in Finland in 2006: approx 55,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Esker Shooting Grounds are holding the DTL World championships 2008, does anyone know who the local TD is, I bet he will be there and I feel an e mail reminding him of the support we need is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

And out of the 1700 how many are used for competition !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, the Gardai would say 1700 since all were licenced for target shooting (unless they're counting humane dispatch pistols in there as well, which wouldn't really be on).
    What I'd like to know myself is how many of those are air and .22 pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

What I'd like to know myself is how many of those are air and .22 pistols.

Just going by the ratios I have seen in the clubs I have been to I'd say that Air Pistols probably account for 10%-15% with .22 accounting for 15-20% and the remaining 65% being fullbore centrefire pistols of various calibres.

It seems there used to be more .22 as a lot of people were using it a stepping stone to learning to shoot well enough to handle a full bore pistol. Plenty of the guys I know have both a .22 and 9/38/40 and shoot both

But I have only been to a few clubs.

B'Man

• Advertisement

And there's also the Pony Club and Modern Pentathlon to consider B'man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

les45 wrote: »
    And out of the 1700 how many are used for competition !

MY TWO!!! practical or static 9mm, .22 static. And, I'm an absolute expert at all, ahem. I have been known to split a gnat's eyelash at 40 paces, from the hip, weak hand.

1698 to go - :D

Also, for me and many others, tomorrow is range day, woo hoo!!!!

I get that Friday feeling every Saturday.:)

From Wednesday:
    132. Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of legally held firearms in this State; and if he is satisfied with public safety aspects. [32983/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I understand from the Garda Authorities that the total number of licensed firearms in the State is approx. 232,000. The number of licensed firearms has increased by approximately 10% over the last five years in line with the overall increase in population. Section 4 of the Firearms Act 1925 sets out the conditions of grant of a firearm certificate and specifies that the Superintendent shall, before granting a firearm certificate, be satisfied that the applicant: (a) has a good reason for requiring the certificate, (b) can be permitted to have in his possession, use, and carry a firearm or ammunition without danger to the public safety or to the peace, and (c) is not a person declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearms certificate.

Obviously, the safety of the public is paramount. While I accept that the vast majority of persons who hold licensed firearms use them legitimately, I have already indicated my concern at the increase in the number of handguns being licensed. That is why I directed a review of our firearms legislation. That review is being finalised at present and I will bring legislative proposals arising from it forward as quickly as possible.

Nice to see that the "in line with population growth" point has been picked up by the PTB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, that is a good point. Should put the antis in their place.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes, that is a good point. Should put the antis in their place.

When did the truth ever get in the way of their antics?

Still as Sparks says, maybe some of the politicians will take note!

From today:
    *134. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the dates on which
    firearms and ammunition stored at Clancy Barracks were destroyed on behalf of the
    Garda Technical Bureau between 1 July 2000 and 31 August 2000; the nature and
    quantities destroyed; and the date on which tenders were invited for the destruction of
    firearms and munitions at Clancy Barracks during the years 2000 and 2001. — Tony
    Gregory. [36368/08]
    Same question was put to the Minister for Defence. Not sure if these would have been firearms held as evidence or firearms held since '72 - anyone know if the latter were held in Clancy Barracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Sparks wrote: »
    From today:

Same question was put to the Minister for Defence. Not sure if these would have been firearms held as evidence or firearms held since '72 - anyone know if the latter were held in Clancy Barracks?

Firearms taken in during the temp custody order in 1972 cannot be destroyed, they are not the property of the sate. Any firearms that were destroyed ex Clancy would have been there from related criminality or alternatively guns that had been handed over to the state for destruction by the owners.

They're not supposed to have been destroyed Bob. Doesn't mean it was physically impossible for someone to just go "What are these for? Ah feck it, they're donkey's years old, just get rid of them, the owners are probably dead now anyway". Or for someone to get instructions wrong and chop up the wrong batch of firearms. Or for some other accident to happen.

From today:
    *120. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number, type and
    calibre of firearms for which licences have been issued each year for the past five years
    up to 17 October 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Thomas P.
    Broughan. [36693/08]
    That's the second time that's been asked - Charlie Flanagan asked it back in July and he's still waiting on an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sparks wrote: »
    From today:That's the second time that's been asked - Charlie Flanagan asked it back in July and he's still waiting on an answer.

He might have gotten an answer posted out to him but he's not making anything of it because he just wants to be seen to ask in the house.

It is bizarre in the extreme though the the guards are incapable of setting up a database to have this sort of stuff to hand. It's a 5 second job once it's set up.

Advertisement