Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW emissions software update - disaster

Options
  • 06-02-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

So i own a 2010 Golf GTD with DSG.
    I received the letter to have the car made legal again for arguments sake amd decided to let my vw dealer do ot when in for service.
    Its a 60,000 mile very well maintained with all main dealer stamps.
    The car pulls like a train through the gears and when in sport mode it holds the revs in the high torque band brilliantly and is a joy to drive.

Well it was.......

After the software upgrade ive driven it over the weekend and it is certainly not the car it was, it feels much slower and its much more revvy and much less torquey.... in sport mode it doesnt hold the revs like it did and the dsg has become a bit dopey, theres also a slight vibration/wobble under acceleration at low speed which has appeared.

Has anyone any experience of this situation?
    Im raging i got it done at all now.
    I have phoned VW who stated they guarantee the car should feel exactly the same... just like they guaranteed all their engines were within emissions laws........

Has anyone noticed any differences after they had theirs done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Go back to them and demand the car be put right.
    You should not be given a car back which is worse off than before.
    Maybe as a just in case, see if any codes are thrown up during a scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats shocking......I'm sure you could have lived with its emissions the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Don't think they can legally put it back as it was. Perhaps they could look at the issue.

I have refused point blank to let them do mine and it will not get inside the door of a main dealer until I am 100% satisfied that it will not impact on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have you owned it from new? If not, any chance the previous owner had it remapped at some point which would have (I'm guessing) been overwritten by the "fix" and why you're seeing less performance now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

As said (ish) in the other thread by somebody else - there is ZERO upside to the individual owner getting this done.

Especially if it's your own money and your own time off work is getting you there to get it done.

If VW were facing some kind of sanctions or being forced into some payment to owners you'd at least think the EU were taking it seriously. They are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats shocking......I'm sure you could have lived with its emissions they way it was.

I know, im raging i got it done.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have you owned it from new? If not, any chance the previous owner had it remapped at some point which would have (I'm guessing) been overwritten by the "fix" and why you're seeing less performance now?

I thought of that, and i bought it from its 1st owner, it 100% wasnt remapped.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

My previous was a 140bhp Gt Tdi Golf with dsg also.
    It genuinely feels like my 140 did now.

knipex wrote: »
    Don't think they can legally put it back as it was. Perhaps they could look at the issue.

I have refused point blank to let them do mine and it will not get inside the door of a main dealer until I am 100% satisfied that it will not impact on the car.

Under no circumstance get yours done, and if you must, get a dyno done before and after (something i now really regret not doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,707 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If VW were facing some kind of sanctions or being forced into some payment to owners you'd at least think the EU were taking it seriously. They are not.

It's even more ridiculous when you see what the Americans are getting in compensation for the SAME issue.

But then, VW is German and no doubt contributes significantly to their tax take, Germany runs the EU, so......... :(

As an aside though, is it ALL VW group cars sold during a given period that are affected, regardless of engine size? My A6 being an import means I'll never get a letter (thankfully it seems!) but as it's a 2010 I'm guessing it might be affected as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have phoned VW who stated they guarantee the car should feel exactly the same... just like they guaranteed all their engines were within emissions laws........

This was one statement that I never understood from VW and always felt they were further covering up.

If there truly was no difference in power to make the emissions clean why put the defeat device in there in the first place!?

It seemed inevitable to me that the power would reduce after the fix, particularly for higher powered models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Under no circumstance get yours done, and if you must, get a dyno done before and after (something i now really regret not doing)

Does ANYONE have a before and after for the fix?
    Dyno and/or fuel consumption? With some attempt at being scientific about it?

Has anyone who attempted to publish this info met with an unfortunate hunting accident or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Does ANYONE have a before and after for the fix?
    Dyno and/or fuel consumption? With some attempt at being scientific about it?

Has anyone who attempted to publish this info met with an unfortunate hunting accident or what?

This is my biggest query.

All the enthusiasts, all the haters, all the government's and all the regulatory authorities and the worldwide automotive press and nobody, anywhere seems to have done a before and after comparison in a scientific way for changes to NoX/ BHP, torque, fuel consumption or anything else.

I genuinely find that a bit unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭johnny_tractor

thats a disgrace,

surely you can demand that they put the car back the way it was

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

thats a disgrace,

surely you can demand that they put the car back the way it was

Nope. Not without them admitting there's a problem. That said they revised some of the fixes so far I think. There was an issue with the 2.0 140 on some models that they updated because it was causing engine knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Looks like it's remap time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Even if you didn't want a remapp a good remapper should have an original file to put it back the way it was?

There has to be a reason they put a cheat in so i'm quite sure that no way will the car perform the way it used to once "fixed"

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Even if you didn't want a remapp a good remapper should have an original file to put it back the way it was?

There has to be a reason they put a cheat in so i'm quite sure that no way will the car perform the way it used to once "fixed"

Yes of course it is possible to get the old ECU software version re-flashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Join the Irish court case and give details of issue to it.....

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Join the Irish court case and give details of issue to it.....

Or maybe just realise that you've done something a bit stupid and take the steps needed to reverse the outcome.

If people just used their brain for 10 seconds they would realise this is a no win scenario.

Consider the following proposal:
    You give me €50.

The very best outcome you can expect from this transaction is that I give you back €50

But there is no guarantee that I will give you back €50, it might be €49, it might be €45, but I won't tell you in advance, you'll just have to wait and see.

Who in their right mind would accept that deal? Nobody. And yet people are going to VW dealers in their droves to have this "fix" carried out.

I just can't get my head around it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Or maybe just realise that you've done something a bit stupid and take the steps needed to reverse the outcome.

If people just used their brain for 10 seconds they would realise this is a no win scenario.

You give me €50.

The very best outcome you can expect from this transaction is that I give you back €50

But there is no guarantee that I will give you back €50, it might be €49, it might be €45, but I won't tell you in advance, you'll just have to wait and see.

Who in their right mind would accept that deal? Nobody. And yet people are going to VW dealers in their droves to have this "fix" carried out.

Some of it is the dealer pushing it, the dealer is paid for all this work, the more that get 'fixed' the more money they get, plus most people don't know any better and trust what they are told, I.e. No change in the cars performance etc.

Booked my golf in for a service last week and was told that it would need to get the emission fix, told them I didn't want it done yet until I looked into it more to see what was involved, I was then told I'd have to sign something stating I didn't want it done, they were quick enough with this, they are not as quick to query vw on goodwill known fault repair work
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

You give me €50.

You're not a fan at all George are you lol, I'm glad I bought a petrol dub!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You give me €50.

Because they are led to believe that there is something wrong with their car and it needs to be "fixed" You and anyone that knows about cars can see through this "fix" but your average joe who knows nothing(or not much)about cars will know no better. They are led to believe that there is something wrong with their car and this is the solution to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

what is the 'fix' they apply ?

Is it this ?
    http://newatlas.com/volkswagen-diesel-cheat-fix/40625/

I think ur right, can you recommend who woukd be best for my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I think ur right, can you recommend who woukd be best for my car?

If only there was someone here that was a well respected VAG mechanic and authorised Revo dealer.... Can't think of anyone....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reading this, just got letter for my Tiguan 140, regular gearbox, thinking I just won't bother getting it "fixed".

Did they reset the DSG box?
    might explain some of it

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    If only there was someone here that was a well respected VAG mechanic and authorised Revo dealer.... Can't think of anyone....

:pac:

Any chance of a bit of info... ive been semi ridiculed enough for being so stupid to have got the car done in the first place!

Advertisement