Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring is here.

Options
  • 01-02-2017 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Welcome Spring, goodbye Winter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You're a month early. Every bloody year...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What did the tree say to spring?

What a re-leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Winter = December, January, February. End off.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Spring traditionally starts in Ireland on 1 February. February will never be winter for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Spring traditionally starts in Ireland on 1 February. February will never be winter for me

So is August the start of Autumn then.... it's the old school ways that are wrong.

Summer = June July August
    Autumn = September October November

• Advertisement

So is August the start of Autumn then.... it's the old school ways that are wrong.

Summer = June July August
    Autumn = September October November

I kind of like how the Irish seasonal calendar is out of sync with the rest of the world. Since Halloween was originally a day to the end of the harvest, it makes sense to me that November should be the start of winter. Also May day was a big thing in ye olde times as it marked the arrival of the summer.

Meteorologists be dammed, February is spring time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

For Climatological purposes, on the basis of air temperature, seasons are regarded as three - month periods as follows: December to February - winter, March to May - spring, June to August - summer and September to November - autumn. This is a common grouping in the meteorological practice of many countries in the middle and northern latitudes.

Link from Met Eireann

How people can think today is Spring is crazy. Summer is June, July and August.

August is not autumn as so many try to make out.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Link from Met Eireann

How people can think today is Spring is crazy. Summer is June, July and August.

August is not autumn as so many try to make out.

Yeah, like Met Eireann are going to be right for the first time ever over this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The Irish calendar seems to sync better with the amount of daylight we get so it works better for me.
    It's not like there is much of a temperature difference between spring and winter here anyway!

Yeah, like Met Eireann are going to be right for the first time ever over this :P

They actually know a good bit about climate amazing enough.

Also, they are often right about the weather. It's the tabloid media and the likes of Jounal.ie and joe.ie who talk of hurricanes, blizzards and then heatwaves in the summer.

People then believe it and then blame Met Eireann when it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Welcome Spring, goodbye Winter.

If only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Even though it's often the coldest month of the year?

infogiver wrote: »
    Even though it's often the coldest month of the year?

Yes, even so. The seasons operate under fixed dates. If they were dependent on starting everytime we hit a certain temperature, they would be different every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I could never call February winter, not with the amount of day light we're getting in the evenings.

Yes, even so. The seasons operate under fixed dates. If they were dependent on starting everytime we hit a certain temperature, they would be different every year.

If it was based on temperatures, I'm not sure Ireland would be entitled to a "summer" at all. :pac:

Noveight wrote: »
    I could never call February winter, not with the amount of day light we're getting in the evenings.

Seasons are not based on light.

Even so still dark in the evening but increasing by about a minute per day.

I kind of like how the Irish seasonal calendar is out of sync with the rest of the world. Since Halloween was originally a day to the end of the harvest, it makes sense to me that November should be the start of winter. Also May day was a big thing in ye olde times as it marked the arrival of the summer.

Meteorologists be dammed, February is spring time! :p

So following that logic, August, which is peak summer holiday season is Autumn. Makes no sense.

Irish seasons broadly match what is happening in the fields and hedgerows.

Spring has started, growth is creeping back, flowers are pushing their way out of the ground.

It also avoids starting summer on midsummers day.

Autumn coincides with the harvest - September being the middle of the harvest and October being the end of the harvest in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

There is only two types of weather in this country
    Its either raining or its going to rain !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Winter = December, January, February. End off.

Ends off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I bought a very yellow coat at the weekend.

I'm happy for today to be spring so my coat fits in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Basil3 wrote: »
    If it was based on temperatures, I'm not sure Ireland would be entitled to a "summer" at all. :pac:

If that were the case winter 2015 started the last week of October and didn't end until last week of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

St Bridget's day was originally a pre-Christian festival celebrating the return of the light. Nothing to do with seasons or temperatures etc
    These ancient people whoever they were had some knowledge of astronomy and this time of year is the halfway point between the winter solstice and the equinox which means that from now on the amount of daylight accelerates rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Just because there are 12 months and 4 seasons does not mean they must be split evenly.

Spring - March, April, May

Summer - June, July, August, September

Autumn - October, November

Winter - December, January, February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

murpho999 wrote: »
    So following that logic, August, which is peak summer holiday season is Autumn. Makes no sense.

It's light vs temperature.

I get both arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yup, Spring is here and there's only 327 days until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait.

Spring begins when the soil temperatures reach the 6 degree mark and growth begins again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Just because there are 12 months and 4 seasons does not mean they must be split evenly.

Spring - March, April, May

Summer - June, July, August, September

Autumn - October, November

Winter - December, January, February

Good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It is Spring to me. Gorse in flower, etc.

Yup, Spring is here and there's only 327 days until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait.

Spring begins when the soil temperatures reach the 6 degree mark and growth begins again.

I've observed growth in early January. It's quite advanced now, although not on every tree and plant you look at, of course.

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    There is only two types of weather in this country
    Its either raining or its going to rain !

:D I've always felt that's a misconception that we perpetuate because it's funny. Someone will probably come along with a rainfall chart to correct me but I spend a lot of time outdoors and I hear people joking about the Irish weather and can't reconcile that to what I see and feel.

Advertisement