Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2017

Options
  • 14-11-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

As I missed John's Captain's Prize last year I first wanted to thank John for a fantastic year last year and for asking me to take on the role of Captain this year. It's a great honour and I really appreciate being chosen. Having got involved in the Committee last year I got a better appreciation of the work that goes into making the society the success it has become and that is down to lots of hard work by John and the Committee. I would also like to congratulate everyone involved in bringing the Ryder Jug home and hopefully we will be able to hang onto it in 2017!

Before announcing the fixtures I also want to thank the guys at mygolfsociety for their help in putting the fixture list together. Their help has been invaluable.

Clearly the society is an unusual entity with members all over the country, making it hard to cater for everyone. I appreciate that some guys have to make huge sacrifices to attend our events and therefore we have tried to keep events close to motorways where possible and to try and have a reasonable balance between distances for members in our two biggest locations (Dublin and Cork). With all of that preamble out of the way here are the list of events. They aren't completely set in stone and I am happy to hear suggestions but I think we have got a great set of courses at a very attractive price (average < 40 euro). As we have availed of Mygolfsociety's Fab 4 offer the balance in the early events is more tilted towards Leinster v non-Leinster but that is down to expected conditions, availability etc.

January 21st
    Wicklow Golf Club @ 10:00

Internal Ryder Jug
    Dubs V's Non Dubs

February 25th
    Luttrelstown Castle @ 11:30

March 18th
    Glasson Hotel & Golf Club @ 11:00

April 22nd
    Portarlington Golf Club @ 12:00

May 20th
    Glen of the Downs Golf Club @ 14:00

June 17th
    Ballykisteen Golf Club @ 11:00

July 22nd
    Moyvalley Golf Club @ 12:20

August 26th
    Kilkenny Golf Club @ 11:00

September 16th
    Killeen Course, Killarney Golf & Fishing Club @ 12:00

Captain's Day

To all our regulars I hope you will all be able to join us this year. For any users thinking of coming along you are more than welcome to join us or attend as a visitor. I can assure you you won't regret coming along to one of the events. As per previous year's Golfer of the Year points will be awarded for all events bar the first one and the Ryder Jug team will be chosen from the GOTY standings plus Captain's Picks.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Awesome list Ballyk best of luck for the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paulos53

Best of luck for the year ballyk

Not sure how many events I will play next year but will do my best to make an appearance at Killarney even if it just as a guest

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭a post punk

Nice mix of courses ballyk, good spread around considering our membership.... looking forward to next year already! Best of luck with the captaincy for 2017 and thanks to golfgraffix and co. for this years hard work organising everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Kileens will be class especially if the weather is on side.

Wish I could make some events but other commitments screw my chances of getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yet again I see myself going to most of these :D

Best of Luck for your year Ballyk, you have shown some serious dedication to the society over the years and hopefully we pick up a few more just like you next year.

Looking forward to it already

I hadn't really realised how well spread the course lost is this year until now so very well planned Captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Great list BallyK, hope you have a great year. I hope to get to as many as possible

J

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Best of luck for 2017

As the crow flies, my front door 1.05 km from the first tee in Luttrelstown. Don't think I'll be missing that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great list - fantastic price, nice mix.

I've a good few more commitments this year family and golf wise.

But - I'll make a few.

Wicklow a nice course - In january could be wild or perfect. Sums up Ireland.

Love the sound of captains day - don't get to Kerry much and love the place, if not the people - :P:D

Fairplay to all - ye have taken on board the feedback and ideas.

Well done to Golfgraffix for the commitment to the society over the years.

It is a great thing, that it is not a drinking society with golf, as most pub societies are. Ye should be able to pick up sponsorship - I'd imagine.

It is more to do with golf and seeing courses around this brilliant little country.

Best of luck Ballyk - catch you on a course in 2017 - Very professional start.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Hi All,

Very interested in getting involved in this. Looking at playing Golf again after a 12 year hiatus!!

Although played in a charity game couple of months ago and had serious case of the yips which nearly made me contemplate my decision to return playing Golf.....just have to try avoid putting and I will be 'fine'!

I hope to have a GUI handicap by the first outing for Newbies in Feb so any info much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Didn't make any 2016 outings as was playing a lot in Knightsbrook this year, best of luck for 2017, and hope to make a few events!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Hi All,

Very interested in getting involved in this. Looking at playing Golf again after a 12 year hiatus!!

Although played in a charity game couple of months ago and had serious case of the yips which nearly made me contemplate my decision to return playing Golf.....just have to try avoid putting and I will be 'fine'!

I hope to have a GUI handicap by the first outing for Newbies in Feb so any info much appreciated.

Welcome back to the game. I'm having trouble with my putting and I don't even have the excuse of a 12 year hiatus! :D

Feel free to come and join us for any of the events that you're available for. Technically you don't need a GUI handicap to play but if you have one that's great. SeveOB can put you on the teamer list if you want to join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Thanks ballyk.

I was shocked that was my 1st post as logged in with my facebook profile. Was more active on another profile but cant remember what email address or login as was awhile since I posted!!

Thanks ballyk.

I was shocked that was my 1st post as logged in with my facebook profile. Was more active on another profile but cant remember what email address or login as was awhile since I posted!!

drop me a pm and I will add you on teamer

name, phone number, email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    name, phone number, email

long number, cvv, expiry date :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Nice list ballyk, can't wait defend the captains in killarney will definitely stay over for that one. Looking forward to to starting the year playing that lovely links:) course wicklow.

Happy Christmas to all the members of the Boards society. Hope you all have a lovely time with friends, family etc and to those who lost loved ones I hope you get through it, even though it may be a difficult time.

We'll get an invite out to everyone the first week of January for the big culchie v jackeen showdown! Any suggestions, thoughts or slagging are more than welcome in this thread! :D Hopefully the weather holds up and we get to swing a few clubs out on the course during the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Cheers Ballyk.

Should know by this evening if I'm good to go. Can you just refresh my memory, whats the membership fee again?

Good stuff space. Hopefully you will be able to make it.

Membership fee is €30, unchanged from previous years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Got the teamer invite but unfortunately won't know until probably the week before if I can go - depends on soccer fixtures. :(

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Got the teamer invite but unfortunately won't know until probably the week before if I can go - depends on soccer fixtures. :(

Time to hang up the boots charlie! :D:p

Us culchies need all the help we can get to fight off these Dublin lads. Fingers crossed the fixtures will be kind and you'll be able to join us.

* There's a separate thread for the Wickow outing now so let's move the discussion there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ballyk wrote: »
    Time to hang up the boots charlie! :D:p

Us culchies need all the help we can get to fight off these Dublin lads. Fingers crossed the fixtures will be kind and you'll be able to join us.

* There's a separate thread for the Wickow outing now so let's move the discussion there.

My boots are well hung up ballyk!!! Am coaching for the last few years, even better craic!!!!

As I'm not really into the GAA, it unusual for me to say this, but unfortunately it looks like I will miss the Moy Valley outing as I will be in Croke Park that day. My spidy senses also tell me Fix shall also be there With or Without me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Seve OB wrote: »
    As I'm not really into the GAA, it unusual for me to say this, but unfortunately it looks like I will miss the Moy Valley outing as I will be in Croke Park that day. My spidy senses also tell me Fix shall also be there With or Without me ;)

me2....:)

me2....:)

Another Time, Another Place I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Can Newbies just show up to the event on the day?

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Can Newbies just show up to the event on the day?

Absolutely welcome.

But rather than just leaving it open to simply turning up on the day, we need to confirm numbers with the golf clubs beforehand.

Drop me a pm with your details, email, phone, name, handicap and I'll get you set up on teamer and an invite out to you

you can accept any time up to pretty much the last minute (if room available on timesheet) but the sooner the better from an organisers point of view ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

check out video of Wicklow on Facebook page...enjoy your day lads

Hey guys,

I mentioned elsewhere that Ballykisteen has new owners and that there is due to be a Europro tour event there in May this year. From what I heard over the weekend there is due to be a big investment in the course in preparation for that so hopefully it'll be in tip-top shape for our outing in June!

• Advertisement

Just one update to the list of events, given the unfortunate troubles encountered by Glen of the Downs we have had to switch that event. Fortunately New Forest were able to accommodate us. I missed the event there last year but I hear it's a very nice course and hopefully the location is convenient for most people.

January 21st
    Wicklow Golf Club @ 10:00
    Internal Ryder Jug
    Dubs V's Non Dubs

February 25th
    Luttrelstown Castle @ 11:30

March 18th
    Glasson Hotel & Golf Club @ 11:00

April 22nd
    Portarlington Golf Club @ 12:00

May 20th
    New Forest @ 13:10