Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists in the bus lane on the Chapelizod Bypass

Options
  • 06-09-2015 7:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Folks it is time to ban cyclists from the Chapelizod bypass. I can't count the number of times I have seen a bus driving BEHIND a cyclist up the hill there. Does Mr I don't pay road tax EVER get out of the Buses way?

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

Time to BAN cyclists from the bypass and make them go through Chapelizod.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Folks it is time to ban cyclists from the Chapelizod bypass. I can't count the number of times I have seen a bus driving BEHIND a cyclist up the hill there. Does Mr I don't pay road tax EVER get out of the Buses way?

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

Would that be a high nelly?
    Why not ban them from all roads? The friggers block lanes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

Perplexed as to how you know they don't pay Road tax.

I have a bike but also oay pay 1811 a year in car tax and 80 tax on a motorbike. I'd imagine paying more Road tax than you and cycling anyway must annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually does that "entitle me" to use more Road than you with your half arsed Road tax payments.... Lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OP,

When using the bus you're paying the exact same amount of road tax as the cyclist.

Poor car drivers, can't catch a break with all the freeloaders :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

What's road tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As you may have gleaned from the responses Op, nobody pays road tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

galljga1 wrote: »
    Would that be a high nelly?
    Why not ban them from all roads? The friggers block lanes everywhere.

maybe we should ban buses too then we wouldn't need the bus lanes at all

no I think the real problem on the roads is too many cars. Buses and bikes both contribute to free up road space, not block it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I also pay tax on two cars. I occasionally use my bike, which is friendly to the environment and to the freeflow of traffic. I would cycle more if the laws were respected by other road users.
    The problem with buses being held up on the Chapelizod bypass as elsewhere, is that motorists, including truck drivers, do not allow buses to overtake the cyclists.
    The solution is to give buses priority, and give the bus right of way to overtake, once the bus has indicated for a couple of seconds, and it is safe to allow the bus move into the middle lane. The bus could then overtake without delaying the other traffic. It is really a matter of civilised behaviour being given statutory recognition.
    The same right of priority should be given to buses pulling out from bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The problem with the Chapelizod bypass bus lanes, is not one caused primarily by cars or bicycles, it is rather one of design. The bus lanes are simply just not wide enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

lxflyer wrote: »
    The problem with the Chapelizod bypass bus lanes, is not one caused primarily by cars or bicycles, it is rather one of design. The bus lanes are simply just not wide enough!

Something which is being rectified as we speak. There are currently large swathes of the bypass being re-surfaced. The lanes being repainted are reducing the width of the general traffic lanes and giving a lot more width to the bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Something which is being rectified as we speak. There are currently large swathes of the bypass being re-surfaced. The lanes being repainted are reducing the width of the general traffic lanes and giving a lot more width to the bus lanes.

What idiots! The obvious solution is just to ban cyclists. Have a garda stationed there 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

At long last - this is long overdue.
    Beersmith wrote: »
    What idiots! The obvious solution is just to ban cyclists. Have a garda stationed there 24/7

The bus lanes on that road are not wide enough to deal with current day buses and coaches before you even take cyclists into account.

They were designed based on the older vehicles which were narrower. Modern day buses are wider as they have to allow wheelchairs on board.

This needs to happen irrespective of whatever issues with cyclists are perceived to exist as the current lanes leave very little wriggle room for buses to pass inside traffic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The outbound carriageway is now fully relined with a wider bus lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

L1011 wrote: »
    The outbound carriageway is now fully relined with a wider bus lane

Call me a cynic but I'm thinking the only reason the bus lanes were widened/moved out from the kerb is to put a separate cycle lane onto the side of the bus lanes!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'd have done that already if that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

Based on the bolded can we ban buses from the bus lanes on the quays in Dublin too? :pac: I've lost count of the number of times I've been stuck behind one of them while cycling, after all......

Realistically, this is one of the most ridiculous proposals on this forum in a while, which is saying something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

Buses don't use the chapelizod bypass bus lane, except usually for the last couple of hundred metre before the lights at ballyfermot. Unless the traffic is.very bad but I have never seen them stuck behind cyclists on that road
    , I think you are talking *****

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but I'm thinking the only reason the bus lanes were widened/moved out from the kerb is to put a separate cycle lane onto the side of the bus lanes!

What difference does it make, the lane is currently for buses and cyclists if it is wider it is better for both irrespective of why they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's 3 lanes on this road. Surely the bus can just use one of the other 2 lanes to pass the cyclists.

What's that, the other 2 lanes are full of cars blocking the bus overtaking cyclists?
    Why not ban the cars, they're holding up busses....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The biggest problem is going West, coming up to Palmerstown in the evening rush. Although it can happen going East into town too on the bypas. The bus lane is very narrow alright, and the vegetation while lovely is really overgrown now in places.

I have been in a bus on that bypass for years, and ONE cyclist can hold up the whole lane for ages on the way out of town. There is an opportunity for the cyclist to turn into the garage opposite Stewarts Hospital, and let the bus go by (five seconds), but no. That really grates me, the sense of entitlement the cyclist has to hold up a bus carrying a huge number of passengers.

And also the car traffic is so slow, there would be no problem with a cyclist moving into the traffic lane for a few seconds just to let the bus go by, but no. Sense of entitlement again. BTW I have seen a few cyclists do this, and I would love to give them a box of roses for their generosity!

Glad to see the lane is being widened. When did it start or when WILL it start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

NOT on YOUR NELLY!

I cycle to work and pay just under a grand a year motor tax. A bus pays 50 euro a year and it's journey are subsidiesed

ted1 wrote: »
    I cycle to work and pay just under a grand a year motor tax. A bus pays 50 euro a year and it's journey are subsidiesed

I use the bus to commute, and pay my fares. My Opel Insignia Eco costs me €180 pa tax.

You either have a few cars, or own a big non eco friendly car. €1,000 pa in car tax :eek:

Either way, doesn't matter, we all have to share the road space.

The subject of the thread relates to cyclists who can hold up a bus carrying many passengers. But TBH only a minority are selfish pr!icks. Many do divert into the car lane or a garage etc. to allow the bus to carry on and not be held up during rush hour.

The biggest problem is going West, coming up to Palmerstown in the evening rush. Although it can happen going East into town too on the bypas. The bus lane is very narrow alright, and the vegetation while lovely is really overgrown now in places.

I have been in a bus on that bypass for years, and ONE cyclist can hold up the whole lane for ages on the way out of town. There is an opportunity for the cyclist to turn into the garage opposite Stewarts Hospital, and let the bus go by (five seconds), but no. That really grates me, the sense of entitlement the cyclist has to hold up a bus carrying a huge number of passengers.

And also the car traffic is so slow, there would be no problem with a cyclist moving into the traffic lane for a few seconds just to let the bus go by, but no. Sense of entitlement again. BTW I have seen a few cyclists do this, and I would love to give them a box of roses for their generosity!

Glad to see the lane is being widened. When did it start or when WILL it start!

The problem is not cyclists it is a poorly designed bus lane that is far too narrow.
    If less people were sitting in cars blocking 2 lanes the bus would easily pass any cyclist

cdebru wrote: »
    The problem is not cyclists it is a poorly designed bus lane that is far too narrow.
    If less people were sitting in cars blocking 2 lanes the bus would easily pass any cyclist

FGS cars are not blocking two lanes, they are commuting aswell!

I agree that the bus lane is very narrow, hopefully that will be fixed soon. Have you heard anything about that?

Please have an open mind as to how this can be solved. But in the meantime the reluctance of SOME cyclists to move over where it can be done is baffling to me.

Hi, where is that happening? I haven't seen much work on the Chzod by pass apart from the dedicated cycle and pedestrian way from Palmerstown to Chapelizod down the back road by the West Co. Hotel.

But I can often snooze on my way in and out of the city, so I may have missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I agree that the bus lane is very narrow, hopefully that will be fixed soon. Have you heard anything about that?

Please have an open mind as to how this can be solved. But in the meantime the reluctance of SOME cyclists to move over where it can be done is baffling to me.

Cyclists are probably also commuting rather than simply "blocking" a bus lane, or does this reasoning only apply when it suits an agenda you are trying to push? You can't have it every way here.

I take it you don't cycle yourself, but speaking as a cyclist (and driver and pedestrian, for that matter) if I had to pull over on every poorly designed road where some motorist thought it could and thus should be done, I'd spend far too much time stopped. Not to mention that there's every chance that these same cyclists are held up by buses heading into town on the quays in the morning, so it's not really fair to expect the cyclists to lose out/give up every time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm confused. Car drivers are commuting so they're okay. Bus passengers are commuting so they're okay. Cyclists are.....?

markpb wrote: »
    I'm confused. Car drivers are commuting so they're okay. Bus passengers are commuting so they're okay. Cyclists are.....?

Cyclists are commuting too. But a car is only in a queue with another queue of cars behind.

The bus is on bus lane and is supposed to have priority.

A cyclist is a commuter too, but if you think a busload of passengers is in any way impressed when a cyclist holds up that busload of passengers, (when there is an alternative of moving into a very slow moving car lane, or diverting into a garage forecourt off the buslane).... well you are mistaken. That is just being selfish for the sake of it.

I totally understand that where cyclists and buses share a lane, a bus can be held up by a cyclist through no fault of the cyclist, but when there is the opportunity to move over and let the bus pass where is it feasible and safe to do so, why don't they?

Many do. Many more refuse to do so. And in the process hold up hundreds of passengers in a couple of buses plodding behind them.

It's common sense and manners on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Nope. They're in a shared bus and cycle lane, same as almost every bus lane in the city.
    when there is the opportunity to move over and let the bus pass where is it feasible and safe to do so, why don't they?

I've never cycled there so I can't speak for them but in my own experience, any time I stopped to let a bus pass, two things happened: firstly, I most momentum and had to work hard to get it back, something that non-cyclists can't understand and secondly I'd catch up with the bus less than a minute later when it stopped at the next bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cyclists are commuting too. But a car is only in a queue with another queue of cars behind.

A cyclist is a commuter too, but if you think a busload of passengers is in any way impressed when a cyclist holds up that busload of passengers, (when there is an alternative of moving into a very slow moving car lane, or diverting into a garage forecourt off the buslane).... well you are mistaken. That is just being selfish for the sake of it.

I totally understand that where cyclists and buses share a lane, a bus can be held up by a cyclist through no fault of the cyclist, but when there is the opportunity to move over and let the bus pass where is it feasible and safe to do so, why don't they?

Many do. Many more refuse to do so. And in the process hold up hundreds of passengers in a couple of buses plodding behind them.

It's common sense and manners on the road.

Move over? To where exactly?

Advertisement