Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2015/2016

Options
  • 05-08-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

General discussion thread for all Junior Rugby - be it J1 senior rugby or social level J4/J5/J6 etc!

Pre season is about to begin! If you have any questions about junior rugby or are thinking of joining a local club, here's a good place to get info.

I will add all Metro Division info here as soon as they're available.

Also this is the only thread that we actively allow 'pimping' of clubs in thread, however you cannot post email addresses or personal phone numbers!

If you're unsure of the above just drop me a PM first.

gaius c wrote: »
    And this is how this season's leagues will look.

6t3lZEc.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Only divisions 1-5 have fixtures atm. Rest to be decided and finalised in next couple of weeks.

Bective Juniors train Monday and Wednesdays on back pitch in Donnybrook at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Given that .ak probably won't want to take his mod hat off and pimp his own club I'll do it for him.

Clontarf FC, situated conveniently on the fairer side of the city. 5 minute walk from the DART line, and plenty of buses going by the ground at Castle Avenue also.

Teams in Division 3, Division 5, Division 10 and Division 11.

The Division 5,10 & 11 teams train together, generally on a monday and wednesday, but starting off Tuesday and Thursday of next week for a bit of preseason training. Great bunch of lads, with a wide range of abilities from guys that used to play at a higher level to guys who have never played before, to guys who have played for ages but look like they have never played before.

If anyone is interested in getting involved feel free to send me a pm and I'll send some details. Each year we generally get at least 12-15 newcomers, so you won't be alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tallaght will be back training soon too , in our new training ground at the Victory Centre in Firhouse. Bit more accessible than before when it was a bit of a trek up the mountains :) . We've been back down to one mens and one ladies team in th last couple of years but welcome new players of all levels and hopefully we can get a 2nd team going again in the future if we can increase numbers. Training is Tuesdays and Thursdays for the men, Monday and Wednesday for the ladies.

http://tallaghtrugby.com/

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B016'51.8%22N+6%C2%B020'43.8%22W/@53.2815962,-6.3452946,16.5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/27376279314/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tallaght-Womens-Rfc/351199768233998

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

shoutman wrote: »
    Given that .ak probably won't want to take his mod hat off and pimp his own club I'll do it for him.

Clontarf FC, situated conveniently on the fairer side of the city. 5 minute walk from the DART line, and plenty of buses going by the ground at Castle Avenue also.

Teams in Division 3, Division 5, Division 10 and Division 11.

The Division 5,10 & 11 teams train together, generally on a monday and wednesday, but starting off Tuesday and Thursday of next week for a bit of preseason training. Great bunch of lads, with a wide range of abilities from guys that used to play at a higher level to guys who have never played before, to guys who have played for ages but look like they have never played before.

If anyone is interested in getting involved feel free to send me a pm and I'll send some details. Each year we generally get at least 12-15 newcomers, so you won't be alone.

Forgot to mention the lovely new 4g pitch....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Joined a team here in London - have to say, the standard of coaching I've received in the last number of weeks has been some of the highest I've had since I started playing rugby aged 8. I wonder if I've just got lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Teferi wrote: »
    Joined a team here in London - have to say, the standard of coaching I've received in the last number of weeks has been some of the highest I've had since I started playing rugby aged 8. I wonder if I've just got lucky.

I found that as well when I played in London... quality of play wasnt a big step up though (played in twickenham so think it was the middlesex league)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Tallaght will be back training soon too , in our new training ground at the Victory Centre in Firhouse. Bit more accessible than before when it was a bit of a trek up the mountains :) . We've been back down to one mens and one ladies team in th last couple of years but welcome new players of all levels and hopefully we can get a 2nd team going again in the future if we can increase numbers. Training is Tuesdays and Thursdays for the men, Monday and Wednesday for the ladies.

http://tallaghtrugby.com/

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B016'51.8%22N+6%C2%B020'43.8%22W/@53.2815962,-6.3452946,16.5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/27376279314/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tallaght-Womens-Rfc/351199768233998

Didn't you put a lot of effort into that place? Lights, etc? Why go to that effort and then move?

Or are the lights coming with?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GavMan wrote: »
    Didn't you put a lot of effort into that place? Lights, etc? Why go to that effort and then move?

Or are the lights coming with?

Land was only rented. It's up in the air whats happening with it. It cut up something awful in the winter too. We were renting Asto pitches and indoor halls at times for training when it go too bad. Firhouse is a much handier spot too tbh. That narrow, dark, wet and windy hill wasnt the nicest for lads that cycled either. The road isnt wide enough to have 2 cars pass each other in spots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Return to training for me tonight. First time in about 4 years I reckon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Teferi wrote: »

Well I was lucky in Ireland with coaching but one of the first coaches I had when I arrived in the UK is now coaching in the Pro 12!

I do think a lot of it is luck though, I know there are some dodgy ones about, depends on your standard as well I suppose regardless of where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 daithiblue

Clondalkin Rugby Club

Senior men's training timetable:

Monday, units, backs 7.30, forwards 7.45
    Tuesday, all 7.30
    Thursday, all 7.30

All sessions in Rathcoole park, opposite Avoca except Thursday which is in the Club grounds in Kingswood.

These sessions are for our 4 adult male sides and U20s. All players welcome, old, new or returning to the game! Any questions. contact us via the Club website

clondalkinrugby.com

or facebook page
    facebook.com/ClondalkinRugbyClub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to start to play rugby, learn a bit more about the rules and that. Is there any kinda social league for adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ec18 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to start to play rugby, learn a bit more about the rules and that. Is there any kinda social league for adults?

Yep, the lower divisions are generally considered 'social leagues'. They're just as competitive but you'll get a lot of guys playing rugby for the first time in them.

Depending where you're based you may have a local club that has lower teams setup for these divisions. Where abouts are you?

Anywhere dublin west area really I live in kilmainham and work in city west so anywhere along that line really

Hi Guys,

There is a huge number of social divisions in the metro league in Dublin. Divisions 6-11 will all be social divisions with lots of beginners playing etc. All played with under 19 scrum laws etc
    Anywhere dublin west area really I live in kilmainham and work in city west so anywhere along that line really
    Good number of clubs nearby. I'll let those who're playing in the metro leagues/involved in clubs up in Dublin advise which clubs might be best to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CarlCarlson

ec18 - I was based in Citywest and I joined Clondalkin. The grounds in Kingswood are close to Citywest Campus. Check out the previous post on Clondalkin RFC for more information. Basically 4 adult means teams. 3rds play in Metro division 8 and the 4ths in Division 11.

Played 4ths got plenty of game time we reached (and lost) the last 2 finals. Good craic and always plenty of lads new to the game playing. They would be glad to have you I am sure. Go down have a look and see what you think. Not been down this year myself but hope to be.

Don't really know what if any teams are closer to you. You can always wait for the fixtures to come out and scan divisions 6-11 to see what suits you. Thought I posted this earlier but must have hit the wrong button....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Clondalkin would be a great fit location wise

ec18 - I was based in Citywest and I joined Clondalkin. The grounds in Kingswood are close to Citywest Campus. Check out the previous post on Clondalkin RFC for more information. Basically 4 adult means teams. 3rds play in Metro division 8 and the 4ths in Division 11.

Played 4ths got plenty of game time we reached (and lost) the last 2 finals. Good craic and always plenty of lads new to the game playing. They would be glad to have you I am sure. Go down have a look and see what you think. Not been down this year myself but hope to be.

Don't really know what if any teams are closer to you. You can always wait for the fixtures to come out and scan divisions 6-11 to see what suits you. Thought I posted this earlier but must have hit the wrong button....
    GavMan wrote: »
    Clondalkin would be a great fit location wise

Thanks for the infor, I'll stop in on my way back form work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

With the warm up games & upcoming World Cup I think everyone is dying to get back playing again,
    Going to be a long season !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CarlCarlson

When will all the fixtures be out?

• Advertisement

When will all the fixtures be out?

Most the higher divisions are done I think. Lower divisions take longer because clubs still need to confirm participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I was looking to start playing rugby this year. I played when I was younger for 3 or 4 years up until I sat the Junior Cert. These days I've been playing some tag rugby and was thinking I'd like to play the real stuff. I'm living in Cork, close enough to UCC (not a student though). There seems to be a few clubs near me but I'm not sure what sort of level they play at; I was hoping to play at the lowest level possible.

So any advice would be welcome.

Aswerty wrote: »
    I was looking to start playing rugby this year. I played when I was younger for 3 or 4 years up until I sat the Junior Cert. These days I've been playing some tag rugby and was thinking I'd like to play the real stuff. I'm living in Cork, close enough to UCC (not a student though). There seems to be a few clubs near me but I'm not sure what sort of level they play at; I was hoping to play at the lowest level possible.

To be honest you'll find yourself in good company in most clubs. Just drop them a mail and ask if they have a social or junior team; you'll figure out the level quick enough. I'm not familiar with the area though so maybe some of the other posters could help out there.

I think UCC are a closed club and you must be a student to play with them, CIT students can play for UCC, but you have to be a student. The majority of university clubs are 'open' now and you don't have to be a student to play with a university club but UCC are still a 'closed' club afaik
    Highfield based in Bishopstown are relatively close by and field at junior 2 level. Look at the Munster website, domestic fixtures and results and the Munster junior 2 and junior 3 south leagues are listed and see which club might suit you best.
    The lowest level you can play is junior 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I think UCC are a closed club and you must be a student to play with them, CIT students can play for UCC, but you have to be a student. The majority of university clubs are 'open' now and you don't have to be a student to play with a university club but UCC are still a 'closed' club afaik
    Highfield based in Bishopstown are relatively close by and field at junior 2 level. Look at the Munster website, domestic fixtures and results and the Munster junior 2 and junior 3 south leagues are listed and see which club might suit you best.
    The lowest level you can play is junior 3.

Thanks for the info. It looks like Sundays Well field a Junior 3 team and they're pretty close to me but Highfield are close by too. I guess I'll just have to fire an email off to one of them and see how they're looking numbers wise for their Junior teams. Interesting to know about UCC; I had wondered if someone that wasn't a student or an alumni could play with them.

Thanks for the info. It looks like Sundays Well field a Junior 3 team and they're pretty close to me but Highfield are close by too. I guess I'll just have to fire an email off to one of them and see how they're looking numbers wise for their Junior teams. Interesting to know about UCC; I had wondered if someone that wasn't a student or an alumni could play with them.
    TBH I would just contact the coach/manager and ask when they train and turn up. Going by my experience of the cork city clubs they will have decent enough numbers at all grades/levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Marys or Terenure would be a good fit for you. Half way between work and home and they have lots of beginners.

Divisions 6-11 finalised
    Metro League Divisions 6-11

The make-up of Divisions 6-11 of the Metro League for the coming season is attached.

The “Metro League Finishing Positions,” which was drawn up in the immediate aftermath of the 2014-15 season and which includes promotion & relegation, is also attached, as this was our guideline when compiling the make-up of Divisions 6-11.

The Divisions are largely based on last season’s finishing positions but there are a small number of teams that have been moved up or down in an effort to accommodate numbers (we want 8-team Divisions where possible) as well as submissions made by clubs. The reasons behind the movement and how the Competitions Committee arrived at the make-up is outlined below.

· Division 6

A submission by Monkstown to merge their Division 6 and 10 teams was accepted and that team was placed in Division 7.

Coolmine, who were next in line after losing the Division 7 final last season, were moved up to Division 6 to replace Monkstown with the remaining seven teams staying as per original spreadsheet (Metro League Finishing Positions after promotion & relegation – 2014-15).

· Division 7

Railway Union’s 2nd XV have moved to play in the Leinster Seconds League and combined with Coolmine’s elevation that leaves four teams from the original spreadsheet, Seapoint, De La Salle Palmerston, Tallaght and MU Barnhall.

Tullamore 3 and Navan 3 were slotted in here to fill the void and Greystones were moved up from Division 8 (same reason as Coolmine above).

· Division 8

By moving Greystones up there are eight teams left from the original spreadsheet.

· Division 9

No change from original spreadsheet.

· Division 10

Millmount House were moved down to Division 11 as it was felt they’d be better off at this level.

Wexford Wanderers 2, which is a team that played Metro J4 League a few years ago is returning and will replace Millmount House.

Monkstown 4 are out (see above) and there are two new teams, Old Wesley 6 and Skerries 3 both of whom have still to be confirmed. Five teams from the original spreadsheet survive, Suttonians, Clontarf, Terenure College, St Marys College and De La Salle Palmerston to make eight teams.

· Division 11

RCSI (Surgeons) have moved to play Leinster League and are replaced by Emerald Warriors.

The remaining five teams, Clondalkin, Normans, MU Barnhall, Stillorgan and Clontarf will be joined by Millmount House to make a 7-team Division.

While accepting that not everyone will be happy we feel this is the best outcome and we anticipate that the vast majority of games in each Division will be competitive. Fixture will be circulated next week.

Go to Highfield.

• Advertisement

After promotion relegation last year:

bcgLXsb.png

Advertisement