Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 2 - Higher Level - June 8th***

Options
  • 08-06-2015 12:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

How did it go for everyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Question 8 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Definitely more like previous years... was alot more challenging than Paper 1

That question where you had to find the radius was SO hard...

I'm not disappointed but I'm not delighted either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I'm certain that I got 0 in question 7. 40 marks down the drain. Attempt marks if I'm lucky but it just wasn't clicking with me, even though I'm sure that I'll be kicking myself later.

Much harder than paper 1 but still a fair paper overall. I should pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Reaction : wow.. okay..

Don't think I did too bad, the statistics and probability were straightforward, besides the P and Pn-1 parts. Q6 was decent.. Worst part was that Q7 about the 2 circles was basically a copy+paste from one of the questions in the exam papers, and stupid me didn't look over it in the morning thinking it was too specific... God damnit.

Overall the 25markers were ok, Long q. pretty crappy. Q7 will be full of pity marks, Q8 was meh, Q9 2/3rds pity marks. Here's me hoping my P1 brings it up overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

wtf that probability long question? got most of it out but didn't get to finish the > 0.00000000001 one part and the part after. Went well though, hoping for an A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

"Ah a nice easy probability question at the start, glad its there. Thats my worst topic out of the way. Can't wait for that 50 marker statistics!."

"Oh. It's a short question. Hrmm. Maybe they are going to have it as a short and long section."

"Oh... its a !!!65!!! mark question on probability. Might just off myself right now"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

Wasn't hard or easy, much tougher than paper 1.The basketball question was though. The circle question almost got it but it wasn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Question 7 was a disaster
    Think I said 11 for the radius

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Was happy with that but felt more confident with paper 1. Got 20 for that radius, anyone else get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

A complete disaster. I was only able to really do about 3 or 4 questions, the rest are all attempts and guesses.

Genuinely has me thinking I failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Nooo I just realised I did the construction wrong :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoife37

Fiona G wrote: »
    Was happy with that but felt more confident with paper 1. Got 20 for that radius, anyone else get that?

Got 20 for the radius and something like 21290cm for total area

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnnaCU

I got 2.25 for the radius :P am I the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 simplyno1

Q1 probability was alright.. didn't get p values in Q2. didn't get the value of k in q3. got q4, didn't get the trig proof in q6. didnt get the total area in q7, or the angle. got a good bit of q8 except for the second last and third last part. ran out of time after doing first two parts of q9 ... **** life

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

Fiona G wrote: »

Got 19.1

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

Anyone get 9.999 (basically 10) for h, the height of the tree above the horizontal? I spent ages on that question until I realised it gave you the value for theta!

Im so pissed... didn't realise the exam was 2:30hr, I intended to leave Q5 and Q9 till the last 20mins and as i was working through the probability question the superintendent just goes "you have 5 minutes left" oh my god..... managed to scrabble a few things down.. godsake!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Anyone get 9.999 (basically 10) for h, the height of the tree above the horizontal? I spent ages on that question until I realised it gave you the value for theta!

Yes I got 10 aswell.

Question 7 i did quite well but stupid me forgot that it was 3r instead of 4r for the first part to find the value of r. Is that most of the marks for the rest of the question gone? I would have got nearly full marks aswell:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AnnaCU

I think I got 10 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Question 7 i did quite well but stupid me forgot that it was 3r instead of 4r for the first part to find the value of r. Is that most of the marks for the rest of the question gone? I would have got nearly full marks aswell:(

I'd say you'll be fine once your methods were correct for the following few parts, I'd say a lot of people left it as 4r

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Yes I got 10 aswell.

No way. At most you'll lose 3 marks. Since it was a hard-ish paper, you'll probably lose less, 1 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

Yeah I got 10 as well. I'm kicking myself over the blunder I made in Q7, I took the wrong side of the triangle as the Hypotenuse! As far as I know you only get penalised once for a mistake like that? Would suck to lose marks over something so silly multiple times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

For question 7, I got r=2root10. Am I the only one? I did the identical question to it in the exam papers yesterday and followed the same method which I'm more than certain is correct, but everyone else got different values for r!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

No, you should be fine. It won't mean that the rest of the question is marked wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

I can't remember what the exact value of the hypotenuse is, but the equation is (8r)^2 + (3r)^2 = (whatever that number was)^2

at least that's what I did.

can anyone tell me how you found the value of k in the line question? it said P(10, K) was a bisector of the angle between line 1 and line 2... does that mean the perpendicular distance from P->line 1 was equal to perp. distance from P->line 2? and you let the two equal and get 2 values for K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ansum

What was wrong with that question with the golf ball through the air. That question was like something for applied maths students. I don't like this at all. Maths should be a subject (mostly) taught on its own, just like any other subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 r00d

I honestly thought that was appalling overall, and I see that most of us got different answers etc. but just remember that apparently they can only deduct you marks once for an incorrect answer, so if you carry a wrong answer through the other parts of a question, you're giving yourself the chance of getting full marks or high attempt marks, as long as your method was right, or so my teacher has been saying for the past 2 years lol don't give me death if i'm wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

simplyno1 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how you found the value of k in the line question? it said P(10, K) was a bisector of the angle between line 1 and line 2... does that mean the perpendicular distance from P->line 1 was equal to perp. distance from P->line 2? and you let the two equal and get 2 values for K?

That was a hard question even some of the best guys in my class did not get it. I don't even remember what i did but i should get some decent attempt marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Radius was definitely 20cm guys. Thought it was a really good paper. Only thing i couldn't get was showing how pn+1=0.6 +0.2pn, but using that equation i could prove the next parts. Questions 7, the final area was about 28,000cm^2. Very happy, but it was definitely harder than p2.

Advertisement