Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris magazine massacre - **READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING**

Options
  • 07-01-2015 6:40pm

Firstly, apologies for keeping the original thread closed for so long. It was bad timing mod wise. Real life and the likes.

The following rules now apply:
    • Any instances of racism, thinly veiled or otherwise, will not be tolerate
    • If you are unable to remain civil do not partake in the discussion
    • If someone is trolling, report them and ignore them
    • All other charter rules naturally apply

Breaking the above rules will result in a minimum of a thread ban.

The story:
    At least 12 people, including two policemen, have been killed in a shooting at the Paris offices of French satirical weekly magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Another 20 people were injured in the attack, including four or five critically.

Police union official Rocco Contento described the scene inside the offices as "carnage".

Full story here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Will be interesting to see the French response to this tonight, both in the government and on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

terrible.................just terrible :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lets hope these killers are caught quickly and no one else is injured by them.

A meeting at the Spire is happening at 7pm to show solidarity with the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

RIP to the 12. Senseless killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Is it possible do you think that the thread continue under the precedence that

a) Muslims are not a race.

b) Islam is not another word for "Muslims".

I doubt its possible but i'd love to see it attempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've only read a story on the guardian. It seems like the perpetrators are Islamic fundamentalists. Did they say they were? Has there a group taken responsibility?

I'll admit that it probably is they but I'm just wondering. After the Madrid bombings people thought it was ETA and I believe after Oklahoma they weren't looking for domestic terrorists at first.

Edit: Just read the RTE one. Saw that someone apparently mentioned the prophet. Guess that answers my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

RIP to all.

Delusional Islamic fools (the gunmen)!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

to massacre a staff of a magazine because they published unflattering cartoons of your religion's prophet is inhuman.

How come other religions can tolerate it, without resorting to this kind of behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Virgil° wrote: »
    Is it possible do you think that the thread continue under the precedence that

a) Muslims are not a race.

b) Islam is not another word for "Muslims".

I doubt its possible but i'd love to see it attempted.

I have tried that but some people have their heads up their own posteriors with political correctness. As the great Sam Harris said we must always differentiate between attacking the ideology ie Islam which is in my opinion a religion that is in many parts backward and medieval and attacking all Muslims as people.

The Imam at Clonskeagh was on Newstalk condemning the cartoons. On the day that was in it it says a lot about the mindset of some Muslims. Ali Selim has according to Mike Horan threatened legal action against anyone who publishes these cartoons in Ireland.

ALL newspapers in Europe should as a show of solidarity publish Charlie Hebdos cartoons on their front pages tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Rip to all those who lost there life's today.

These fascists and their supporters need to be wiped out.

they probably aren't still in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the French response to this tonight, both in the government and on the streets.

Would be worried about the streets, a lot of innocent middle eastern people will bear the brunt of this tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

to massacre a staff of a magazine because they published unflattering cartoons of your religion's prophet is inhuman.

How come other religions can tolerate it, without resorting to this kind of behaviour?

In the US last year a guy went on the rampage with a gun. He was killing black people because the bible told him.

As much as I dislike religion these kind of people are not generally reflective of the religion.

I find it worrying that they are still running around Paris and armed to the teeth.

Probably live in Paris. Or not. They looked like professionals and they didnt martry themselves. I'd say they are all sitting in or around Paris in separate locations watching the news unfold. I would be very surprised if they had any other plans for today. Mission accomplished is what it looks like from their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

KilOit wrote: »
    Would be worried about the streets, a lot of innocent middle eastern people will bear the brunt of this tragedy
    that is partly the aim of those bástards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The sad thing is that a growing number of people will likely be celebrating this and not condemning it as the gross act of barbarism is truly is.

Events like this inevitably lead to retaliation by either individuals, groups or the military forces of countries, which is turn generates more extremist terrorists. It's a vicious cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I remember when South Park had Muhammad on a show and no one batted an eyelid.

RIP to the deceased

Exactly. France and Paris is a pressure cooker at the best of times.

• Advertisement

According to some reports their French was heavily accented perhaps indicating they weren't French. The Old Bill keep a tight lid on things in France so they may have been brought in.

It is strange because they knew the codes to the building and they knew the whole staff was there. Also security seems to have been stepped down after the New Year according to a journalist on Coopers show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Charlie Hebdo has been criticising and lampooning religion and politics for a long time, and particularly zoned in on Islam... They had been warned and they also had security measures in place and French police where also aware of their vulnerable situation!
    Today unfortunately they paid the ultimate price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

it looked like they were going for the suburbs, its possible that they have made a clean get away

but they might be planning another attack

What is noteworthy is that in western countries following such attacks there has been little or no backlash.

ardle1 wrote: »
    Charlie Hebdo has been criticising and lampooning religion and politics for a long time, and particularly zoned in on Islam..

Nope, they also "zoned in on" Judaism, Christianity and right-wing politicians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Palmach wrote: »
    The Imam at Clonskeagh was on Newstalk condemning the cartoons. On the day that was in it it says a lot about the mindset of some Muslims. Ali Selim has according to Mike Horan threatened legal action against anyone who publishes these cartoons in Ireland.

Why would that surprise, his son is in prison in Egypt and was a supporter of the muslim brotherhood there, a group that is as bad as Isis, i hope the special branch are keeping tabs on this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Those Islamist extremists are bad, bad men, can they not just chill like, murdering a dozen innocent people over a poxy cartoon! They don't exactly give a good name to or portray their religion in a very positive light, scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's a law in Islam. No images of the prophet whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Palmach wrote: »
    ALL newspapers in Europe should as a show of solidarity publish Charlie Hebdos cartoons on their front pages tomorrow.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Europe is near a tipping point, soon we could have the likes of Sinn Fein, UKIP and the National Front leading governments. We are at a dangerous point in history. We must stand back and make firm decisions but not descend into complete ignorance and racism.

Advertisement