Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respect for the religious + religion - where does it start/stop?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

katydid wrote: »
    The pope's definition of ROMAN Catholicism is not what many would consider Catholicism.

So how do you define Catholicism? Or any other religion? Is it simply a case of which leader / preacher you believe / like most?

It has to be contextualised.

By who?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

obplayer wrote: »
    By who?
    You can usually deduce the context from taking the text in context.

robindch wrote: »
    You can usually deduce the context from taking the text in context.

As long as the right person is doing the contextualising of course. Now I get it!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

It has to be contextualised.

Ah yes, context. Haven't posted this youtube clip in a very long time ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^^^ Jerry Coyne made that point that christians start off by saying that everything in the bible is true. And as bits get disproved, they turn into metaphors.

That's in one of the best takedowns of religion I've seen, Coyne's annihilation of theologian John Haught - it was so total, I almost felt sorry for Haught who seems to be a genuinely nice guy who's spent his life trying to reconcile the irreconcilable.

Great video, but it was hardly a fair contest :pac: after about two minutes of Coyne, there should have been a white towel flying across the podium...

334331.png

And yeah that CONTEXT!!!!1!!1! video is one of the greats too

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

How about grow a pair and don't go.
    Who forces you to go to mass?

Sorry to drag this up again, but guys. I was joking! I've explained that I'm not "forced", but just encouraged to. And all that and so on and so forth.

I made a stupid bloody joke with tongue firmly in cheek, and so. Can we just leave it at that?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

iguana wrote: »
    For now that's very easy as I can just claim 'fractious toddler' and skip the ceremony. In a couple of years time I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

Why make excuses at all? Can you not stand by your convictions?
    Shrap wrote: »
    "Thank you Lord for showing our teachers the importance of keeping our faith strong in our school"

I don't really see whats different from the above and all the other drivel that gets spouted at these events. Am I missing something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Shrap wrote: »
    Example: I used to go to mass every year on the occasion of my son's school mates' confirmation as a mark of respect to them. It's a very close knit community and even though I am an affirmed atheist, I felt it was important to acknowledge that this was a big day for my children's friends. The last one I attended, the children were each up on the pulpit saying a little "Thank you Lord for....blah de blah", but one child came out with something along the lines of "Thank you Lord for showing our teachers the importance of keeping our faith strong in our school" and to this day I am angry at myself for not standing up there and then and walking out.

The respect I had to show at that point (to the children making their confirmation and to my own children, that I didn't make a show of them) was severely tested, due to the lack of respect that those words were showing to me and my children. I felt forced into showing respect for words that directly and negatively effected me and mine, and so I've never been back. Not even for funerals. I will go to the house and pay my respects, and to a removal, but never again to a church.

How do you mean you "used to go to mass every year on the occasion of your son's school mates' confirmation"? Confirmation happens only once, so I don't understand how you could go every year.

Leaving that aside, even if it was only once, I don't understand why you would go. If you're not a Roman Catholic, and your children weren't involved in the ceremony in any way, why would you go along?

And what I really don't get is how you could take offence is a child invoking the teachers and what they had done to develop the childrens' faith. Since teachers were involved in confirmation preparation, and were mentioned in that way, I'm presuming it's a Roman Catholic school. What the hell did you expect? YOU attended a Roman Catholic ceremony in which teachers in a Roman Catholic school prepared their Roman Catholic students for confirmation, and YOU were offended because that fact was acknowledged during the ceremony?

You were the outsider there. You sent your children to a Roman Catholic school, attended a Roman Catholic event, and then took offence at something that is part and parcel of Roman Catholic education?

I don't know if you had an option to send your children elsewhere - many people don't - but the fact is that that was the school they were attending. You removed them from the religious aspect of the school as much as you could, which is fair enough, and your right. But you can't have it both ways; don't attend Roman Catholic services if you don't want to hear how the school and the church are so closely linked.

I'm not an advocate for religion in schools - quite the opposite - but if you participate in the system and exercise your right to withdraw from the religious aspect, then withdraw properly.

By who?

By the reader, obviously.

• Advertisement

So how do you define Catholicism? Or any other religion? Is it simply a case of which leader / preacher you believe / like most?

Well, Catholicism is far more than one version of it outlined by the bishop of Rome. But since that was the version you were referring to, then it is defined by the teachings of Christ which it proclaims in its tenets; these do not include bans on women priests or contraception or whatever. These are human constructs. The thing is to be able to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't know if you had an option to send your children elsewhere - many people don't

Most people don't. There are not many Educate Together schools, and they're usually full.

Approx 90% of primary schools are RC, 96% overall have a religious patron
    - but the fact is that that was the school they were attending. You removed them from the religious aspect of the school as much as you could, which is fair enough, and your right. But you can't have it both ways; don't attend Roman Catholic services if you don't want to hear how the school and the church are so closely linked.

I would not attend such a service - but it should be acknowledged that this means setting onself and one's family apart from the rest of the community. The problem here is that 'religion poisons everything' - the community is defined in small town Ireland as the RC church community, if you are not religious you ostracise yourself.

I don't live in a small town (thankfully - I'm sure they are wonderful in many ways but there are many aspects of them I'd want nothing to do with) but even in my fairly large Dublin suburb, there are no non-religious primary school options, and all the secondaries are both single-sex and catholic. At least at primary level there is a CoI co-ed school and it is a very good school. We are not looking forward to the transition to secondary though.

Life ain't always empty.

Most people don't. There are not many Educate Together schools, and they're usually full.

Approx 90% of primary schools are RC, 96% overall have a religious patron

I would not attend such a service - but it should be acknowledged that this means setting onself and one's family apart from the rest of the community. The problem here is that 'religion poisons everything' - the community is defined in small town Ireland as the RC church community, if you are not religious you ostracise yourself.

I don't live in a small town (thankfully - I'm sure they are wonderful in many ways but there are many aspects of them I'd want nothing to do with) but even in my fairly large Dublin suburb, there are no non-religious primary school options, and all the secondaries are both single-sex and catholic. At least at primary level there is a CoI co-ed school and it is a very good school. We are not looking forward to the transition to secondary though.
    I'm well aware that most people don't have an option, and that is disgraceful. In the case of this particular poster, though, it would be important to know, as it would be relevant to his attitude.

By pulling his children out of religious education and the confirmation process, he would already have set them and his family apart. No one should have to do that in this day and age, but he did. So by going to the ceremony when he didn't have to, and then "taking offence" at the teachers' contribution to the Confirmation preparation and religious education in general, he is being inconsistent.

By the reader, obviously.

So every reader makes up their own interpretation of what is meant? You can just decide that if God is talking about slaughtering thousands he actually means giving them all a kiss? DIY religion!

So every reader makes up their own interpretation of what is meant? You can just decide that if God is talking about slaughtering thousands he actually means giving them all a kiss? DIY religion!
    They use their intelligence to put it everything in context. It's not that hard if you try; but you'd need a bit more than your facile reasoning.

Well, Catholicism is far more than one version of it outlined by the bishop of Rome. But since that was the version you were referring to, then it is defined by the teachings of Christ which it proclaims in its tenets; these do not include bans on women priests or contraception or whatever. These are human constructs. The thing is to be able to differentiate.

Then, as I pointed out before, if you follow Christ you have to obey the Old Testament instructions.
    Matthew 5:17
    17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
    18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.…

Then, as I pointed out before, if you follow Christ you have to obey the Old Testament instructions.

No, you don't. Otherwise, Christians would be not eating pork or wearing mixed fabric clothing. And killing disrespectful children and homosexuals...

They use their intelligence to put it everything in context. It's not that hard if you try; but you'd need a bit more than your facile reasoning.

Which leads to exactly what I said...
    So every reader makes up their own interpretation of what is meant?

Could you explain how, if every reader makes his / her own judgement on what is meant, you don't end up with endless interpretations with each person being the leader of his / her tiny religion. And also explain, without simply resorting to insults, how my reasoning is facile?

No, you don't. Otherwise, Christians would be not eating pork or wearing mixed fabric clothing. And killing disrespectful children and homosexuals...

Quite, which means they are not following Mathew 5:17 and 5:18 which means they are not following Christ. Why not just admit that your 'holy' book is such a mass of contradictions that it is clearly nonsense.

Quite, which means they are not following Mathew 5:17 and 5:18 which means they are not following Christ. Why not just admit that your 'holy' book is such a mass of contradictions that it is clearly nonsense.

It IS a mass of contradictions, but not nonsense. Jesus meant that although the law would remain, it would be changed by proper interpretation of it. That the spirit of the law would be maintained. It was quite obvious by his own behaviour that he had no intention or wish to stick to the letter of the law.

• Advertisement

It IS a mass of contradictions, but not nonsense. Jesus meant that although the law would remain, it would be changed by proper interpretation of it. That the spirit of the law would be maintained. It was quite obvious by his own behaviour that he had no intention or wish to stick to the letter of the law.

You still don't get it. "Jesus meant that " and what follows is your own personal belief. I can just as easily say that "Jesus meant exactly what he said".

You still don't get it. "Jesus meant that " and what follows is your own personal belief. I can just as easily say that "Jesus meant exactly what he said".

Since Jesus said different things, and demonstrated by his actions that he did not respect the letter of the law, I get it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Why are the books of the Old Testament still in the bible if you ignore them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Oh, so the old testament - the bit with the ten commandments - can be ignored now?

This despite the fact that the gospels are explicit in saying that the "laws" of the old testament still hold true. So Katydid's idea of a christian is a person who ignores the bits of christianity they personally don't like, not an exactly edifying position to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Since Jesus said different things, and demonstrated by his actions that he did not respect the letter of the law, I get it....

Jesus must have been Irish then. Of course he didn't say what he meant, who does that?

Why would the Son of God, one third of the Holy Trinity, the Way, The Truth and The Light, (etc. etc. ad nauseum) feel the need to speak the truth when preaching his message ... when He could say all sorts of contradictory things instead.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I am being sarcastic. Honestly. I really mean it, not like Jesus, who apparently didn't really mean half of what he said.

Sheeeeesh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If the old testament is not true then the whole thing begins to unravel.
    If the prophesies of a messiah are not true then there was no point in the New Testament.
    If there was no Adam and Eve then there was no original sin so no point in Jesus.
    The bible is considered a holy book. It should be accepted or rejected with no grey areas.

I do not see any way that a person can be a true believer without the constant terror of the consequences of their actions. The only true believers are the creationists and otgher nuts who go around shouting down anyone who dares oppose them. The rest of them (us) are following tradition and are happy to have a vague sense of comfort of something after death but really don't want to have to read into it too much.

Why are the books of the Old Testament still in the bible if you ignore them?

Because they are what Christianity is based on, and have a lot to say. You just have to read them intelligently and separate the wheat from the chaff. There are wonderful, symbolic myths and poetry, and there is also a lot of useless historical stuff about lineages and the like, and anachronistic stuff such as most of Leviticus.

This despite the fact that the gospels are explicit in saying that the "laws" of the old testament still hold true. So Katydid's idea of a christian is a person who ignores the bits of christianity they personally don't like, not an exactly edifying position to argue.

If you consider that literal belief in the Bible, with all its contradictions and anomalies, is the mark of a Christian, then there are a handful of Christians on this planet.

• Advertisement

swampgas wrote: »
    Jesus must have been Irish then. Of course he didn't say what he meant, who does that?

Why would the Son of God, one third of the Holy Trinity, the Way, The Truth and The Light, (etc. etc. ad nauseum) feel the need to speak the truth when preaching his message ... when He could say all sorts of contradictory things instead.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I am being sarcastic. Honestly. I really mean it, not like Jesus, who apparently didn't really mean half of what he said.

Sheeeeesh.
    So you can be sarcastic, and assume that others have the wherewithall to work out not to take you literally, but you can't figure out that someone else might choose to speak in parables and symbols. Hmmm

Advertisement