Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feckin weather!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Beautiful out 1st thing in tramore. Course has held up well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was out today, lovely day for golf -

But, never seen so much water on a links.

Bunkers full of water, will take weeks to get right, In fact I think the rain has damaged the drainage system on a few bunkers.

Fairways and greens good.

Nice to get out all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

lester76 wrote: »
    Beautiful out 1st thing in tramore. Course has held up well

Closed yesterday, but today was lovely. Played quite alright even. Driving only ok, couple of clangers even, and chipping I simply have to do something about this year, its holding me back. But my irons and putting were quite promising. Overall it got me 36 points with 10 pars and one birdie. Thats not terrible.

Course a bit roughish and of course very soft in places, lost two balls only a couple of yards off the fairway/green, but very playable all the same. Felt really good just to be out and play. Noticed after on howdidido that my last round recorded was December 11. :eek: Forecast for Sunday is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Bellewstown yesterday. Had booked Ardee but it was closed. Honestly should have came back in after the first few holes, I've never played on such a soft/wet course. The ball was plugging everywhere except the greens. Due to the weather ( I'm guessing) the teeboxes/rough/fairway weren't cut in a while so it left for a very long round looking for balls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just not worth it for me at the minute, would rather starve myself and enjoy it in better weather than go out in these unenjoyable conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Lovely out this morning. Blessed lakes soft but very playable, most of the soft ground seems to be running across several fairways down towards the lakes in one continuous area, seems to be along the lines of an old ditch. Some of the tee boxes were well forward ensure that people's drives did not plug in the aforementioned softer ground. but yea it was great to get out competitively again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Played Bellewstown yesterday. Had booked Ardee but it was closed. Honestly should have came back in after the first few holes, I've never played on such a soft/wet course. The ball was plugging everywhere except the greens. Due to the weather ( I'm guessing) the teeboxes/rough/fairway weren't cut in a while so it left for a very long round looking for balls.

Was talking to member during the week and we has telling that you could lose a ball in the middle of the fairway they were plugging that deep.

Disgraceful that they would open the course to greenfees in such conditions. Surely it will do more harm in the long term as people will be less likely to go back and play it after such an experience

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Was talking to member during the week and we has telling that you could lose a ball in the middle of the fairway they were plugging that deep.

Disgraceful that they would open the course to greenfees in such conditions. Surely it will do more harm in the long term as people will be less likely to go back and play it after such an experience

I hadn't been out in a few weeks so I can't say I didn't enjoy some aspects of it but when we're looking back at the round we both agreed it would've been better to close the course for the sake of the fairways and rough. Brother was pushing the trolley up the 18th and sliding back 3" for every step e took. I was similar with the carry bag. I felt the same way last year when they had full greens one day in Headfort new and the first one I got on the green bounced 10ft in the air. Just bad decisions on the day I suppose. We were the only ones ,stupid enough, out in bellewstown. Really hope rathcore is good next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Margarets closed again today ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

After an almighty evening and night of heavy rain yesterday I rang BlackBush this morning expecting it to be closed. Surprisingly all 27 holes were in play and since the forecast was decent I headed off for some practice for the first time in weeks. Tee to green the course wasn't bad, greens a little patchy and bumpy is all. However parts of the rough were very sloppy and likely to yield to plugged balls and a number of bunkers out of play with standing water. Was certainly cold on the hands for the fist couple of hours, a tough time of year especially after/during such a woeful winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A couple of trips a week to the range is enough for me in this weather. Stay loose and work on a couple of specifics. More useful than trudging and sloshing around in three layers of clothing.

except for the crazy carry on of the last few weeks.

I love this time of year - I think it is a little different if you play links.

You have the place to yourself and , in fact staying warm is a twisted part of the challenge.

The modern gear is unreal stuff imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

except for the crazy carry on of the last few weeks.

I love this time of year - I think it is a little different if you play links.

You have the place to yourself and , in fact staying warm is a twisted part of the challenge.

The modern gear is unreal stuff imo.

A shot or two of JD on the 10th helps!

A shot or two of JD on the 10th helps!

Could have done with that from the 2nd on in Druids Glen. :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Had a feeling Silloge would still be closed on the weekend (hard to know if it will ever open again) so booked Corballis on Golfnow for €17 on Saturday. Place was in great nick bar a couple of wet spots, greens were perfect.

Didn't play great but I was just happy to get out and get a game in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

My home course is finally open after being closed for weeks, but it's looking like it's going to freeze hard tonight - Agggh!

Very good drying over the last 3 days.

to put a number on it - courses were a about 10 % playable, now about 50 % .

Even some bunkers are back to normal.

You'd still need another 2 weeks + of that weather to get anywhere near normal.

Still the worst ever condition of links courses I've ever seen.

Got out for 13 holes.

Was nice in late afternoon.

But looked like 1/2 of Dublin was on Corballis.

Was playing up to 5pm. A positive sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I played Corbalis too.

Slow enough going but delighted to get a game. Scratched the first four before the rust went away. Scored 28 on the remains holes including six pars which was great.

Nearly lost my skull on the 18th fairway when an errant drive missed my head by inches. No shout of fore either, but it didn't take the gloss of a great day

The joys of winter golf having to dry everything,of course soon as we signed our cards the rain stopped.. Still glad to get another comp under the belt 35pts scored on all 18 around tramore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reckon i wont go back out until the beginning of March. Cant see much enjoyment in it really at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

My course isn't draining. I'm afraid even normal rainfall for the next two months will keep it closed. Fairways can't take machines.

What's the story with your course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

yipsnomore wrote: »
    My course isn't draining. I'm afraid even normal rainfall for the next two months will keep it closed. Fairways can't take machines.

What's the story with your course?
    Front nine open back nine closed for the last month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My course, Ballybofey and Stranorlar, holding up very well for a parkland in Donegal.
    I've missed only 1 Sunday comps since start of December due to course being closed.
    But if this rain continues I don't think any parkland course up here could stay open, ground is just too saturated and water has nowhere to go.

under water. joys of being next to the river

havent played since October or so only been on the range

disaster of a job but i reckon paddys day will have to come and go before i venture back on the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slingerz wrote: »
    under water. joys of being next to the river

havent played since October or so only been on the range

disaster of a job but i reckon paddys day will have to come and go before i venture back on the course

Sure come out & join the Boardsies on the 20th in Portmarnock to keep yourself ticking over

Sure come out & join the Boardsies on the 20th in Portmarnock to keep yourself ticking over

Would love to but the travel to Portmarnock would mean it's not feasible for me really!

Have a week off and looks like the courses are all frozen until the weekend :(

Arrived on course at 10am to beautiful weather here in tramore. Practice area for an hr chipping & putting.. went out played 9 holes came in soaked effin weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Have a week off and looks like the courses are all frozen until the weekend :(
    ..when they will be drowned in rain :(

• Advertisement

..when they will be drowned in rain :(
    I actually got out in Killeen Castle Wed and Knightsbrook today :D

Knightsbrook in fantastic condition again, Killeen much less so. First time playing there so I'll give it another go in the summer.

Hoping I can get out for a quick round Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Looks like a cold and wet start expected for both Saturday and Sunday in the midlands anyway.

Looks like a cold and wet start expected for both Saturday and Sunday in the midlands anyway.
    Yea looking at that on the various forecasts for tomorrow, Moate and Blessington Lakes are towards the northern edge of where the rain will be so we may get lucky, think your place may further north so you may stay dry...enjoy. it seems the later you go out in the morning the better only that she that must be obeyed may get obstreperous if one arrives back at 3 30 ish.

lovely calm cold morning on the Blessed Links, actually called the weather right for once Mr Kingswood well done sir.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Twice today I managed to hit the ball into the ground it was that wet! Could only laugh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

First round since November yesterday in Tullamore, place was in very good condition, spitting rain for maybe two thirds of round but no chilling wind, delighted to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Walked in after 2 holes, snow falling side ways. That's 15 holes played this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Walked in after 2 holes, snow falling side ways. That's 15 holes played this year

Didn't even get through 2 myself. Standing on second tee box & called it a day. Forecast I looked at got it wrong.pity cos it turned out to be not a bad day once the worst of it cleared

Arrived at tramore for Sunday comp to find the course closed. Played 9 holes tue & thur course was fine. Wasn't expecting that at all. Need a golf holiday asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Arrived at tramore for Sunday comp to find the course closed. Played 9 holes tue & thur course was fine. Wasn't expecting that at all. Need a golf holiday asap

Now your talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Played Heritage yesterday. Weather was perfect, calm and no rain. Course is serious condition after the winter we've had. Greens and tee boxes perfect and fairways dry enough to give a run on the ball. Bunkers had a fresh layer of sand in so were very playable. Rough was marshy but to be expected, can't have 100% drainage everywhere.

Well worth a visit for those looking a dry game with no access to links courses. Daily opens till end of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

morrga wrote: »
    Played Heritage yesterday. Weather was perfect, calm and no rain. Course is serious condition after the winter we've had. Greens and tee boxes perfect and fairways dry enough to give a run on the ball. Bunkers had a fresh layer of sand in so were very playable. Rough was marshy but to be expected, can't have 100% drainage everywhere.

Well worth a visit for those looking a dry game with no access to links courses. Daily opens till end of March.

fingers crossed i'm heading there on thursday. i was onto them yesterday and the pro was telling me alright that the greens were unreal.
    Did ye get a bite to eat after morrga? any good? he was saying that for €50 you can get a meal after the golf and tea and scones before i think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Anyone play Monty last few weeks?

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Anyone play Monty last few weeks?
    Yep he beat me 10 and 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yep he beat me 10 and 9.

Sure it wasn't 10 and 8?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If in any doubt at all check the daily recorded phone message first. Call the main landline number of the club, then press 1.
    I rang that number at 8, heard that comp is cancelled and course is closed and went straight back to bed. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Was due out today and the two lads I was meant to play with chickened out

Bloody fair weather golfers

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't 10 and 8?
    no deffo 10 and 9 gave him a 1 up start....i know foolhardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Was due out today and the two lads I was meant to play with chickened out

Bloody fair weather golfers

One of the worst days so far this year, I don't blame them. I wouldn't put the cat out in that. Hopefully it's better on Saturday, first round of the year so hopefully the sun will make an appearance

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

fearruanua wrote: »
    fingers crossed i'm heading there on thursday. i was onto them yesterday and the pro was telling me alright that the greens were unreal.
    Did ye get a bite to eat after morrga? any good? he was saying that for €50 you can get a meal after the golf and tea and scones before i think??

Greens were in excellent shape for the time of year. Couldnt fault them at all. We ate when we played before Christmas and the food is very good. Didnt get a chance to eat last time as was rushing off but bar food is very good and club house is really top notch! Enjoy it and if you stay on the fairway you will get to play off plenty of dry sod!

• Advertisement
Advertisement