Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents reporting teachers to the principal - Have you experienced it?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

I have a reasonably weak second year Maths class - Well when I say weak it is my belief that they have ability but they lack focus, discipline and are not the most hard working to say the least.

"I don't get that" is a regular annoying interruption when I'm explaining something. . .much to my frustration

Anyway it was my plan at the start of the academic year to push as many of these kids to do Junior Cert Honours Maths. I have painstakingly done (and continue to do) hours of preparatory work on Keynote slides to improve the quality of the instruction.

First though - order and discipline and a willingness to work hard had to be a necessity from them.

So one day I assigned homework in which, whilst difficult, all that was required was a sign of effort.

So the following day I checked the homework as I suspected that a large number did not do it. I was right - roughly half the class had not even attempted.

I then proceeded to sign their journals to let their parents know and assigned written punishment work (which I loathe to do and something I virtually never do)

The next day I received the following:
    - Letters from parents telling me that their child was instructed by them not to do the punishment work.
    - Another parent told their child that she was not signing the note.
    - Another parent wrote to me to tell me that she didn't take too kindly to calling the class "stupid" - which was a blatant lie.

It didn't end there. A number of parents approached the Principal directly to make complaints.

The Principal then approached me and I explained my side.

The Principal completely agreed with my stance of pushing these kids to do HL Maths . . .

Thoughts?

Have you been involved in reporting teachers to Principals for installing discipline? If so how did you get on?

Are you a teacher who has been on the end of something similar?

PS - I am a highly experienced and considered an excellent teacher btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have a reasonably weak second year Maths class - Well when I say weak it is my belief that they have ability but they lack focus, discipline and are not the most hard working to say the least.

"I don't get that" is a regular annoying interruption when I'm explaining something. . .much to my frustration

Anyway it was my plan at the start of the academic year to push as many of these kids to do Junior Cert Honours Maths. I have painstakingly done (and continue to do) hours of preparatory work on Keynote slides to improve the quality of the instruction.

First though - order and discipline and a willingness to work hard had to be a necessity from them.

So one day I assigned homework in which, whilst difficult, all that was required was a sign of effort.

So the following day I checked the homework as I suspected that a large number did not do it. I was right - roughly half the class had not even attempted.

I then proceeded to sign their journals to let their parents know and assigned non academic punishment work (which I loathe to do and something I virtually never do)

The next day I received the following:
    - Letters from parents telling me that their child was instructed by them not to do the punishment work.
    - Another parent told their child that she was not signing the note.
    - Another parent wrote to me to tell me that she didn't take too kindly to calling the class "stupid" - which was a blatant lie.

It didn't end there. A number of parents approached the Principal directly to make complaints.

The Principal then approached me and I explained my side.

The Principal completely agreed with my stance of pushing these kids to do HL Maths . . .

Thoughts?

Have you been involved in reporting teachers to Principals for installing discipline? If so how did you get on?

Are you a teacher who has been on the end of something similar?

What was the "non academic" punishment? I give 1 chance for not doing homework but record it in their journal (and mine). After that I give a lunchtime detention for 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Millem wrote: »
    What was the "non academic" punishment? I give 1 chance for not doing homework but record it in their journal (and mine). After that I give a lunchtime detention for 20mins.

Oh Just a couple of pages to write out

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

Was the couple of pages to write out from the maths book?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I see the answer in your first post. Its not acceptable practice to give "worthless" write outs and you are only getting the parents and the students backs up by doing this. Now you have a negative atmosphere in your class. I used to give "lines" years ago but it has no benefit and I'm not surprised you got those notes from parents....

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I see the answer in your first post. Its not acceptable practice to give "worthless" write outs and you are only getting the parents and the students backs up by doing this. Now you have a negative atmosphere in your class. I used to give "lines" years ago but it has no benefit and I'm not surprised you got those notes from parents....

It's a form of punishment. . . There's not meant to be a benefit.

As I've pointed out - I don't give out written punishment work. This was a rarity - a one off. The parents decided their kids weren't doing it . . . because their kids told them to write the notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What does the principal say about it?
    Having endured thousands of pointless lines as it kid I can't see any benefit in non academic punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I have found its usually best to stick to our schools discipline steps as outlined in the student journal. The first step is a note home, etc. It's really the only way for you to have a leg to stand on in these situations. We had a similar situation a few years ago where a class was kept ten minutes past the bell and given similar written work as punishment. Unlike your situation all students were punished not just the guilty ones. After the furore from parents had died down we decided in a staff meeting that it wasn't appropriate to do either and staff were asked to stick to the guidelines. Makes it much easier all around imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

But doesn't this tell you that they do have interest in the lesson; they are actually paying attention; they do want to learn?

Honestly it sounds to me like you have a class of students who probably want to do well, but might possibly need a bit more help than other students you've taught. You might be quite confident about your excellence as a teacher, but surely your methods need to be adapted for each class, and need to be changed as time passes?

But doesn't this tell you that they do have interest in the lesson; they are actually paying attention; they do want to learn?

Honestly it sounds to me like you have a class of students who probably want to do well, but might possibly need a bit more help than other students you've taught. You might be quite confident about your excellence as a teacher, but surely your methods need to be adapted for each class, and need to be changed as time passes?

Actually I have adapted and used more ICT to help them as they are a very weak class.

Their interruption of the teacher (i.e. me) is commonplace in their classes and they do not realise that this is serious indiscipline that prevents learning from occurring. This is WHY they are weak - It is not because they lack ability.

It's my job to maintain discipline. However parents have decided that they'll decide the level of discipline.

No doubt if too much homework is given . . I'll be informed of the consequences.

I could easily just pick up the Ordinary Level book and decide . . . Well this is the level we're at for the workload ye're prepared to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In the history of time has there ever been a worse or lazier solution to a problem than giving students something to write out as punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2nd yr maths is the most difficult group to be timetabled for. The stakes are high as they should be deciding on levels this year. Also they probably had it very easy in first year to encourage a positive attitude.

Id say the punishment was a bit shock and awe... but then again the OP has set out their stall on what students are expected to do.

As regards the parents... as long as the complaints are initially passed on directly to the teacher rather than via an intermediary (principal/form tutor/year head/dept. head) then its a good sign you can work a peace deal. Once you start getting a tap on the shoulder and a quiet word from a colleague then you know youve been undermined.

In the history of time has there ever been a worse or lazier solution to a problem than giving students something to write out as punishment?

Great soundbite.

Armelodie wrote: »
    2nd yr maths is the most difficult group to be timetabled for. The stakes are high as they should be deciding on levels this year. Also they probably had it very easy in first year to encourage a positive attitude.

Id say the punishment was a bit shock and awe... but then again the OP has set out their stall on what students are expected to do.

As regards the parents... as long as the complaints are initially passed on directly to the teacher rather than via an intermediary (principal/form tutor/year head/dept. head) then its a good sign you can work a peace deal. Once you start getting a tap on the shoulder and a quiet word from a colleague then you know youve been undermined.

Pretty much my own view summed up there.

The parents will be banging on the Principals door when their child is in fifth year looking to do Leaving Cert Honours Maths . . . with the now 25 points going for taking the subject.

They do not realise that LCHL Maths begins in second year . . . You cannot have a late start and this particular class needs to be trained to take on the mentality of a class with ambition.

If the atmosphere is not one of learning, one of seriousness. . then action has to be taken.

I'm not necessarily stating that written punishment work is the answer but, it seems to me, any action taken was going to be met with a response from the parents as they cannot see the woods from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Great soundbite.

Sorry Sir,I'll go write out Homers Odyssey now to help me learn maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I never gave anything other than a pointless exercise as punishment. I would not use schoolwork as punishment - that would defeat the purpose. They're disengaged enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

MOD NOTE

No back-seat modding.
    Please read the charter.

This is not an issue about punishment work. . . .So - Off you go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you will make your hand sore and maybe next time in Maths you will behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

If you were a doctor i would say you have a poor bedside manner.

Here is another soundbite for you, a bad workman blames his tools, from my time in school we gave some teachers (not me ) a very hard time to the extent one poor man had a break down, but the better teachers always commanded respect and interest from all but the really worst messer or two.

You got my back up just from your post, nothing to do with the punishment you handed out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I agree with the post above me

I was a big messer in school along with a few of my mates, we'd give some teachers awful time, I remember one ran out of the classroom crying ( Feel like a jerk for doing it now) but back then I found it funny,
    But when it came to a subject I liked, or a teacher I respected, I wouldn't mess.

Handing out lines as punishment, doesn't work.
    Give detention (that didnt work for me but for most it would :P) if you're school does one hour detentions after school, give that instead of lines, no kid wants to stay in school a whole hour after its over.

Also I disagree with trying to push you're students to do higher level maths. Let them take what they want. Its their decision, if they get it wrong, its not the end of the world. Its the junior cert, it means nothing, regarding higher level maths for leaving cert, if they do it ordinary in the junior cert, and regret it, then they will put that extra effort in for the leaving if they want to bump up to higher again.

Don't push students into doing something they don't want to do, they will act out against it, and won't respect you, face it, their young, don't have any worrys in life about getting a job, it will hit them when they leave.
    Not to mention all the back door ways into college now I find the leaving cert as a whole pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

It seems strange that three different sets of parents complained independently to the principal.
    If the story is accurately presented, I suspect the children concocted a story together and fed it to the parents.

The "I don't get it" comments are a classic ploy to mess in the class.

I remember the best teachers that I had used to use the threat of punishment more than actually dishing the punishment. Individuals would be singled out as well and made look foolish when they messed.
    It is so much easier to disrupt in a crowd ad more fun as well.

I'm not sure if I agree with the previous poster who said you should let the students drop to ordinary if they want to.
    I can remember plenty of people dropping down to ordinary maths for the leaving cert but none going the other way.
    It is still worth trying but you can only push it so much,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Just my 2cents, and I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion...
    If any one of my 4 children received "punishment" home from school I which involved a meaningless repetitive time wasting activity (such as writing lines etc), I would be very predisposed to not facilitating it's completion, especially at 2nd level.
    I would have no problem with a teacher instructing them to do extra or additional math work as punishment. I'd fully support a "punishment" of them writing a 2 page essay on the importance of Maths, or doing research and identifying the 3rd level courses that require maths, or calculating the difference between a C in pass maths or a C in honours maths etc etc. To me all of the above would indicate annoyance, punishment and educational legitimacy.
    However being told to write lines or other repetitious nonsense, would to me set an alarm bell ringing that there was a teacher too lazy to to do anything intelligent or meaningful.
    Please accept that I am not trying to, or wish to criticise you directly or indirectly. Just want to give you my opinion.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

dubrov wrote: »
    It seems strange that three different sets of parents complained independently to the principal.
    If the story is accurately presented, I suspect the children concocted a story together and fed it to the parents.

Hit nail on head !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

You know what Peter,I think you were very brave and a tad naive posting that situation on here. While you might have got a few constructive responses by those who do the real job in the real world,you also drew a fair share of know it alls who know nothing on you as well.

It's gas the way non teachers think they know the job better than the actual teachers!

acequion wrote: »
    You know what Peter,I think you were very brave and a tad naive posting that situation on here. While you might have got a few constructive responses by those who do the real job in the real world,you also drew a fair share of know it alls who know nothing on you as well.

It's gas the way non teachers think they know the job better than the actual teachers!

I've no problem posting this experience.

What interests me is as follows: I'm installing discipline on students who lack the discipline that highly motivated students have.

The reason why they lack discipline is primarily because of poor parenting.

The only problems I've ever had with parents are from parents who are exactly like their kids. . .

A concocted story - These kids ran to their year head and then their Parents ran to the Principal.

But in the end. . . There they were today - working. . . At a higher level than their parents expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

2011abc wrote: »
    Hit nail on head !

They got some lines not accused of murder, would 3 kids really go to the bother to make up a story in order to get out of lines and would they be that miffed about getting lines if they had failed to do homework ?

I agree something doesnt quite add up but i am inclined to come to a different conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Their interruption of the teacher (i.e. me) is commonplace in their classes and they do not realise that this is serious indiscipline that prevents learning from occurring. This is WHY they are weak - It is not because they lack ability.

If a teacher is being asked to explain something again/more clearly they should do so and then evaluate what went wrong the first time. Asking questions is not a lack of discipline and a teacher that complains about being asked to explain something more clearly isn't a good teacher at all.

A teacher not stopping to explain things when asked prevents learning from occurring.

Incidentally parents phoning principals is a very common occurrence.

Most teachers do not hear of these conversations as they are invariably not reported to them.

But some parents now feel they have some sort of ownership of what goes on in the classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the nub of the issue is that some of the students didn't even bother to try the question so presented absolutely nothing in class.

I'm not so sure about punishing the whole class for it though!!

In saying that , if I went home whinging about being given a pointless punishment exercise for something I neglected to do, then I'd be given short shrift told to cop myself on and do the punishment. Think of it as a life lesson and move on.. are my parents going to write a note for me if my future boss gives me an unfair bollocking at work? Life ain't fair..

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    If a teacher is being asked to explain something again/more clearly they should do so and then evaluate what went wrong the first time. Asking questions is not a lack of discipline and a teacher that complains about being asked to explain something more clearly isn't a good teacher at all.

A teacher not stopping to explain things when asked prevents learning from occurring.

Shouting out without permission "I don't get that" . . . That's not asking a question.

That's serious indiscipline.

They know the procedure now - Hands up. Question is asked and everyone listens to the answer. Resume work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement