Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclocross Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Heavy for an alu bike. Also I don't know if Lyra brakes are good, but from experience I'd rather go for cheap mini-Vs/cantis than cheap discs.

Maybe this instead?

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/felt-cyclocross-f95x-216804/wg_id-40

Looks much better too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For that price I wouldn't be going for disc brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Raam wrote: »
    For that price I wouldn't be going for disc brakes.

what are peoples thoughts on disk brakes? I'm not convinced on them for cx racing.

Once I've upgraded to Hy/RD on the front (hydraulic brake with mechanical pull, ~100e for the caliper and rotor) if find my brakes adequate. Wasn't too happy with Tektro Spyre there, while on the back it is ok.

Haven't had any difficulties with braking during the race on Sunday, but I guess discs may show their real advantage in muddy / wet conditions - sintered pads are not affected by water, just squeak like hell.

Still, there is something funny in the way they work - they have very good modulation and stop you reliably, yet won't throw you over handlebar no matter how hard you brake - unlike MTB discs. Which is good, but I like to have the feeling of surplus stopping power, if I ever need some.

The thing I don't like about mechanical disc is the need to constantly fiddle with the pad clearance. Not a problem with HY/RD, where this is self-adjusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lennymc wrote: »
    what are peoples thoughts on disk brakes? I'm not convinced on them for cx racing.

I wouldn't buy a bike with them because it would make all my current wheels incompatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Why would you not consider them for racing?

A few of the lads on Sunday had the new Giant TCX with disc brakes and loved them.. Would be great for carrying more speed into tight twisty corners by being able to brake later than people on canti's, so more control.

Also a lot more mud clearance which will mean your bike won't get clogged up so quickly and braking will be consistent..
    Also the new Focus CX bikes will have bolt through axles front and rear, which they say improves the stiffness of the bike...

Just my tuppence - i could be way off the mark, but, my reasons for not being convinced by disks are outlined below

- like raam - all my current wheels would be incompatible with discs.
    - I think discs ad a layer of complexity - ultimately the amount of braking you can apply is limited by the traction of the tyre on the ground. I can lock a wheel using cantis (off road) and get the rear of the bike in the air on road, so, in theory, that is as hard as I can brake while remaining in control. More brakes aren't going to help (imho) in those situations. carrying speed into a corner is all about how much grip you have at the tyres. On the other side, braking in the wet is not great, so discs are bound to be an improvement on that
    , but in the really wet races, the average speed is down and the grip is down, so you dont need to brake as much (in theory)
    - Any of the cable pull brakes I have experienced were not great and didnt really offer any more braking that a well set up canti (ime) Hydraulic mtb brakes are way better. Are there affordable hydraulic road/cx systems around yet?
    - most disc systems ad weight to the the bike (ok, I ride a steel bike, but if I was changing it could be a change to a non steel bike)
    - I have read reports of pads wearing out very quickly in muddy conditions

The mud clearance is a good point.

I'm considering a new cx bike, and a lot of the biks are offering discs, so I have given this some thought - but - given the points above, and the fact that the national championships have been won by canti braked bikes for the past few years, I don't really think there is a need for them beyond people wanting them, and being forced to buy them as manufacturers drop canti braked bikes from their range.

I also wouldn't mind anything I say in relation to cx as I was looking at getting a single speed cx again.....

All true.

However I like the fact I cannot lock wheels completely using my discs (unless its gravel or ice of course) - it gives me more confidence in braking hard, on or off road. With TRP calipers the braking power increase is also very linear - there is a lot of control between "feathering" and "braking hard" mode.

Not too sure if it will apply to all discs, though. I know that some MTB versions are quite opposite.

Well sure, wheels may not be compatible, but sure an excuse to buy nice new ones, and probably some good deals on 29er MTB wheels with the bolt through axles...it's the future so may as well make the change now as later?

Yea cable disc brakes are awful, a good set of Avid Shorty ultimate's would be just as good or better...

Don't worry about weight though, the less mud which gathers around the brakes will make up for any additional weight of the brakes...or the fact that the nationals has been won on canti's, sure Zippy was 1st vet in the A race without a seatpost! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Great day out in Belfast curtesy of Phoenix cc. Full day for me. My son went off in the u6 race and despite a rubbish start getting boxed had a great race and made up loads of places over the two short laps. My daughter was in the u10 race. 6 laps of a tough course with dismount obstacles, single track and even a bit of a run up. She acquitted herself well despite being up against some seasoned racers from VC Glendale. Midtable mediocrity for me in the B race which is a great result. Tea, buns, hot dogs and stew for all the riders. Brilliant location, great weather. Over 300 riders. Congrats to Martin grimley for another excellent event. I hear rumours of a race in Waterford next Saturday, any truth in that?

midonogh wrote: »
    I hear rumours of a race in Waterford next Saturday, any truth in that?

Practice was on yesterday, and they say there is a plan to do 8 rounds: https://www.facebook.com/events/752405188138542

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

it was practice????? crap i thought i was racing!!!

there will be a league running for the next 8 week course it good with lots of twists and turns on a hardpack/stone surface small bit of tarmac and 2 grassy sections the course will be extended for a bit next week as the laps were only 5 min long
    there is kiddies racing starting at 3 where they are kept on the short course and the big kids race at 4 come down and support the event you would not be out of place on a mtb

marcofan wrote: »
    it was practice????? crap i thought i was racing!!!

Was going by the title of the pictures on Facebook "Waterford Cyclocross League- Practice Day"

I believe Raam may have bee there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Was going by the title of the pictures on Facebook "Waterford Cyclocross League- Practice Day"

I believe Raam may have bee there?

This league starts next saturday. The 11th was more of a test day.

From facebook:
    Here are the details of our upcoming cyclocross league, an eight week series of 8 races over the winter months in what we hope to build into a national series event with your help.
    First Races Sat 11/10/14
    Time Discipline Gender Category Distance Prizes Places Fee
    3:10 pm Cyclo-cross Mixed Junior 6-9 15 minutes Medals 3 0
    3:25 pm Cyclo-cross Mixed Junior 10-15 30 minutes Medals 3 €5
    3:25 pm Cyclo-cross Mixed Junior 16-18 30 minutes Medals 3 €5
    4:00 pm Cyclo-cross Mixed 18+ 1 hour Medals 6 €10
    For the 20+ category the 6 places will be split between the first 3 female and first 3 male.

Cool, so at the same venue for each race?

And I see your aim is to: "build into a national series event with your help"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Cool, so at the same venue for each race?

I believe so.. but not sure.
    And I see your aim is to: "build into a national series event with your help"

Nothing to do with me. I just copy/pasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

And well done to Sean O'Tuathail of Bray Wheelers on his win up North.

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/sean-otuathail-takes-hard-fought-affair-at-lady-dixon-park/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Thanks peter, chuffed! No homework for the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

25sean wrote: »

Well done Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

25sean wrote: »

Well deserved sean. Congrats

Sign on for the SuperCross cup round 2 opens on Friday...

Watch the Facebook page and irishcx.com

Get your entries in now!

Race Entry Form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UUinner

When are the national cyclocross championships? January or February?

UUinner wrote: »
    When are the national cyclocross championships? January or February?

January..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm in

Also: There's an addition of youth races to the Fixx Series. In association with Donnybrook Landscape Co. the following will be run as separate races:

U6s & Strider 10:30am
    U8s 10:40
    U10s 10:50
    U12s 11:10

U14/U16 will go in the B race.

A registration form for the Youth races will be posted shortly.

excellent!

• Advertisement

Aaaah, I'm torn between this and Dying Light. Can't do both.

Where's my lucky coin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Do the cross!

(cos I can't - who plans weddings without checking the racing calendar? - grrrrr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Dying Light comes with beer.:D

I know!! :D

(and jaegermeister on controls if you ask for some ... and sauseages...)

the CX comes with Fixx Coffee! :)

I'll be riding Saturday and watching on Sunday.
    Just pulled the trigger on a CX bike so hopefully I'll be able to join in the fun soon enough.

• Advertisement

Just pulled the trigger on a CX bike so hopefully I'll be able to join in the fun soon enough.

great to hear! what did you get? i'll be back doing some midweek spins in the park soon if you want to meet up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Watch while riding it, much more fun.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

great to hear! what did you get? i'll be back doing some midweek spins in the park soon if you want to meet up

You racing this weekend Lenny? Or too busy with the new addition?

colm18 wrote: »
    You racing this weekend Lenny? Or too busy with the new addition?

not sure yet colm. I like Tymon park - good course with that mad circly roundy bit!!

2015 Focus Mares AX 2.0 disc. It'll be my do anything bike. You'd think I'd have a suitable bike in the family by now.redface.png
    Bought some shoes today and think I've some spd pedals in the parts bin. Just waiting for the bike to arrive from Germany.
    I'd love to practice my falling off with style in the park when I get my hands on it.biggrin.png

RobFowl wrote: »
    Watch while riding it, much more fun.....

Hopefully I'll be watching from the rear of the field before too long.

• Advertisement

Focus CX bikes really are the smartest I have seen this year, even the entry level models look pro with the schwalbe tires which look like expensive Dugasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Signed up last night online. Got an email saying thanks for race entry but with redirections in to CX website .is that all I need to do? Also whats the story with race numbers do you wear your CI issued number or is there numbers on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Signed up last night online. Got an email saying thanks for race entry but with redirections in to CX website .is that all I need to do? Also whats the story with race numbers do you wear your CI issued number or is there numbers on the day.

You get a shoulder number at sign on, different one each race. don't need to do anything else re entry.

I've just signed in for Sunday. I know I'm going to regret racing after 200k the day before.

Please carry me gently to the ambulance when I collapse.

Alek wrote: »
    I've just signed in for Sunday. I know I'm going to regret racing after 200k the day before.

The pace of the Audax is usually pretty steady - no need for race pace :)

I know that most people ride it more or less steadily but I found it hard to slow my legs once they get rolling... ;-) I had a physical hangover the next day after the Dying Cow.

Please carry me gently to the ambulance when I collapse.

Audaxes are races now? ;) As if they weren't hard enough.

Let me explain. What I meant was: I will regret racing (=CX) after 200k (=Audax)

Or both.

Fact.

:D

Let me explain. What I meant was: I will regret racing (=CX) after 200k (=Audax)

Or both.

Fact.

:D

I don't envy you, a cyclocross hangover is bad enough on it's own, don't know how people manage double race weekends and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Don't forget the time change early Sunday morning. Means we all get an extra hour sleep before the race! Or an extra hour warm up if you forget; or an extra hour out on Saturday if you use it as leverage for your rubber arm....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement