Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclocross Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

nak wrote: »
    Probably a good few mountain bikers in there too. Nice to see it gaining in popularity, but what happens when races are oversubscibed? The first race of the league usually has less people than the others.

Good mix of all types, though maybe no DH MTb'ers as the Carrick race is on that day! :D

This one is the biggest ever, previous to that Tymon park was last year...

May be room for a 3rd senior cat as I mentioned above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good mix of all types, though maybe no DH MTb'ers as the Carrick race is on that day! :D

This one is the biggest ever, previous to that Tymon park was last year...

May be room for a 3rd senior cat as I mentioned above...

Is the B race full full??
    Didn't read the entry form right and registered as spectator to ensure parking and was gona register on the day...doh!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

countrykid wrote: »
    Is the B race full full??
    Didn't read the entry form right and registered as spectator to ensure parking and was gona register on the day...doh!!!!!!

Yep, oversubscribed. Space in the As only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

If anyone that's registered for the B race in this weekends race cant make it I'd appreciate the opportunity to take their spot..

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I think the series already needs more categories.

I race in a series that usually has 250-350 riders per event. There are 6 races per event. Standard categories and schedule:

Masters 35+ (CX4/CX5)
    Single Speed 10am

Elite Masters
    35+/45+ (CX1/CX2/CX3) 10:45am

Women CX4, Men CX5
    Junior 15-­‐18/10-­‐14 11:45am

Kids Race 12:30pm

Elite Women (CX1/CX2/CX3)
    Men CX4 1:00pm

Men Pro/CX1/CX2
    Men CX3 2:00pm

The only race that had huge numbers last year was men's CX4, which was then the lowest category. It was seeing up to 70 riders. This year, an additional category has been added - CX5. Also, note how the schedule allows most people to double up (why on earth would you do that!?).

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I think the series already needs more categories.

I race in a series that usually has 250-350 riders per event. There are 6 races per event. Standard categories and schedule:

Masters 35+ (CX4/CX5)
    Single Speed 10am

Elite Masters
    35+/45+ (CX1/CX2/CX3) 10:45am

Women CX4, Men CX5
    Junior 15-­‐18/10-­‐14 11:45am

Kids Race 12:30pm

Elite Women (CX1/CX2/CX3)
    Men CX4 1:00pm

Men Pro/CX1/CX2
    Men CX3 2:00pm

The only race that had huge numbers last year was men's CX4, which was then the lowest category. It was seeing up to 70 riders. This year, an additional category has been added - CX5. Also, note how the schedule allows most people to double up (why on earth would you do that!?).

Would be great to have a women's race, but not enough of us (7 I think for round 1) and for the men, some of the best riders are vets/masters and some very fast juniors now too. It's a long day for the organisers as it is. More volunteers needed for more races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I would have been on the podium every round had there been a singlespeed race last year. Me and that other guy.

Would be great to have a women's race, but not enough of us (7 I think for round 1) and for the men, some of the best riders are vets/masters and some very fast juniors now too. It's a long day for the organisers as it is. More volunteers needed for more races.

Exactly! These events don't happen by themselves, and are run by small clubs of cyclists who give up there time to run the events.

What you are talking about above are events run by a professional company with large corporate sponsorships..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Exactly! These events don't happen by themselves, and are run by small clubs of cyclists who give up there time to run the events.

What you are talking about above are events run by a professional company with large corporate sponsorships..

Actually no. Same as you have - it's all run by clubs with volunteers.

I'm not saying the format is exactly what is needed, just that you're at the point whère you need more than A and B categories.

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I'm not saying the format is exactly what is needed, just that you're at the point whère you need more than A and B categories.

Well true, a C cat could be good, though the first race of the season is always going to be the busiest...After this weekend there will be a lot of guys pushed up to the A race, and a lot of people who may get a shock to see how hard a CX race can be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

lennymc wrote: »
    bonus points if anyone spots lenny crashing.....

0:54

How do I claim the points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ugh. That was tough. Almost got taken out of it exiting the gravel section into the second corner. Someone lost balance and knocked into me. Stayed up thankfully. Good race, fast, safe, tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

That was brilliant craic. I'm still grinning. Started at the back in the B Race. Stayed there. Watched in awe as guys with big guns made short work of the course.

Punctured after 3 laps. Someone must have heard my prayers :-) Many thanks to the organisers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Still knackered, thank feck I only had to do 5 laps :-p -great fun,thanks to all involved.

that was hard. Lots of boardsies in attendance. thanks to the organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

First cross race I wasn't lapped, still in shock that had to ride the full distance.
    Muscled out of the last corner after the boards by an unmitigated thug who obviously didn't deserve to finish ahead of me....

RobFowl wrote: »
    First cross race I wasn't lapped, still in shock that had to ride the full distance.
    Muscled out of the last corner after the boards by an unmitigated thug who obviously didn't deserve to finish ahead of me....

you should report him. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

you should report him. :)

I'm telling my mammy on him later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

See what happens when u give him gears!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Was fun. Must have been on Raams wheel when that lad cut across the group, interesting moment. Also got tangled on the first set of boards, wrecked my shorts! Then, my flu, which I haven't shaken, decided to prevent me from breathing from lap four on. And my left shifter slipped around and gap skinned the spot between my thumb and index finger

Despite this, it was actually great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Great venue. Great course.

A race felt fast. Looking forward to some mud.

GMCI wrote: »
    See what happens when u give him gears!!!

one more lap and i would have caught you too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

If anyone picked up a red Multitool near the coffee stand or pits let me know.

Well done to everyone who raced today, very fast in both the A and B races..

A quick report with results here: IrishCX

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

one more lap and i would have caught you too....

Nah, eased up judging the distance, had time to play with

My first CX race, and any race for that matter. Savage fun!

Except I've punctured on lap 2 of the B race, too far from the start to do anything about it. So I've signed into the A race and didn't finish the last!

Super tough too.

What is the story with the results - I can see myself on pos. 33 of the B race, but I haven't even finished the 2nd lap?

Note to organizers: one portaloo for 200+ people is definitely not enough...

Let em know and they can correct it for you.

Alek wrote: »
    My first CX race, and any race for that matter. Savage fun!

Except I've punctured on lap 2 of the B race, too far from the start to do anything about it. So I've signed into the A race and didn't finish the last!

Super tough too.

What is the story with the results - I can see myself on pos. 33 of the B race, but I haven't even finished the 2nd lap?

Note to organizers: one portaloo for 200+ people is definitely not enough...

Few mistakes, there was a rider in front of me in results who was a lap down and DNF afaik. Great intro to the series.

GMCI wrote: »
    Nah, eased up judging the distance, had time to play with

I'm pushing you into a ditch next time!! :)

Few mistakes, there was a rider in front of me in results who was a lap down and DNF afaik. Great intro to the series.

Two of the top 10 in the results in the B race punctured out.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Two of the top 10 in the results in the B race punctured out.

Well they did say it was provisional results. I was ahead in the prizes, just not online. Really enjoyed it, tougher than it looked.

Well they did say it was provisional results. I was ahead in the prizes, just not online. Really enjoyed it, tougher than it looked.

That is true!

Those steps... the first two times I bounced up them nicely, the last few laps... ugh, it was a struggle.

Those steps... the first two times I bounced up them nicely, the last few laps... ugh, it was a struggle.

For the last few laps I had a cramp-like feeling in my calves when going up them... Every time I thought the race is over... or maybe hoped... No cramps saved me though.

That is true!

Try being more vertically challenged, don't know how the wee guy on the mountain bike managed those.

Results updated now..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Results updated now..

58th!I assume my prize will be posted to me.

53rd in A :D yay

colm18 wrote: »
    58th!I assume my prize will be posted to me.

Of course! ;)

Almost broke the top 20 myself, only for the road parts.. damn my MTB legs! :D

9th in the Bs for me. I thought I was directly behind an IMBRC rider but maybe he passed someone else near the finish.

• Advertisement

8th in the Bs for me. I thought I was directly behind an IMBRC rider but maybe he passed someone else near the finish.

Nice one, up to the A's next time! ;)

Nice one, up to the A's next time! ;)

No! Don't make me go!

No! Don't make me go!

Ha! Well one more go at the B podium so...

My Average speed was 21.6km/h
    Yours was 22.1km/h

The difference between mid 20's and 8th eh? :D

Ha! Well one more go at the B podium so...

My Average speed was 21.6km/h
    Yours was 22.1km/h

The difference between mid 20's and 8th eh? :D

Small margins :-) Even trying to close a 3 meter gap seems to take an age.

1st lap of the B race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MsGheN3U3k

(8:18 - a tub rolls off the rim. how many of these did we have today? seen 3 or 4...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Great craic, first proper CX race for me (upgraded to a proper bike during the week from the big heap of a MTB I had in Rathfarnham). Punctured on the second lap at the kerb near the sign-on area. Got back on after a very kind chap fixed the puncture for me. I'll be back for more! (and learn to bunny hop in the meantime :D )

• Advertisement

Punctured on the second lap at the kerb near the sign-on area.

I've heard that! Ts'ssh-tssh-tssh-tssh sound coming from your bike :) Been repairing my own puncture on the side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I heard a few more back wheels going as I was waiting there!

Alek wrote: »
    I've heard that! Ts'ssh-tssh-tssh-tssh sound coming from your bike :) Been repairing my own puncture on the side...

Kerb in the next race too, smaller though.

Kerb in the next race too, smaller though.

where is the next race nak?

where is the next race nak?

It's on Sunday 19th..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement