Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Lawrie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

LinksLad wrote: »
    If you ever want an idea of how many invitations are really available to the sponsors, have a look at the french open, see the french participants (excl amateurs), do the same at the dutch open for their guys. The field of those with OWGR outside 250th is about the invite number.

The others have somehow "earned" their invitation.

3 French players got sponsors invites (Out of 7).

Its the national order of merit that gets in all the local low ranking guys, similar to the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Being sponsored by Denis O'Brien is a huge help id imagine.

Why should Peter have so many invites you asked? Well he shouldn't but he does for this year at least. That well will run dry anyway, he's no John Daly tongue.png

Category 20 this year would have got him into less than a handful of events. Even if he doesn't win his card back this year he will have done enough for Category 17 next year which is what Kevin Phelan is currently in.

I was wondering who sponsored him!

Probably fair enough criticism that he seems to get more than his fair share of invites for this year, but it can't last.

I'll admit that my support for him is mainly based on sentimentality.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I was wondering who sponsored him!

Probably fair enough criticism that he seems to get more than his fair share of invites for this year, but it can't last.

I'll admit that my support for him is mainly based on sentimentality.

Well it's PGA Catalunya but we know who the proprietor is tongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Being sponsored by Denis O'Brien is a huge help id imagine.

Why should Peter have so many invites you asked? Well he shouldn't but he does for this year at least. That well will run dry anyway, he's no John Daly tongue.png

Category 20 this year would have got him into less than a handful of events. Even if he doesn't win his card back this year he will have done enough for Category 17 next year which is what Kevin Phelan is currently in.

He's being rewarded (a little excessively imo) for his efforts on the Players Committee and maybe for just being an all round decent guy (involved with Special Olympics golf too).

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/peter-lawrie-makes-most-of-ogrady-invitation-332226.html

Dinny isn't a bad person to know but I think it's a bit much to give him credit for the amount of starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Started well today - -2 after 4.

• Advertisement

And as that article also mentions, McGinley and Rory have also played a part.
    Iirc Rory wrote a letter to the organisers to get Peter into one of the desert swing events.

It's the perfect storm for sponsors invites

PGA Catalunya
    Players committee
    Friends with McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well it's PGA Catalunya but we know who the proprietor is tongue.png

The more I find out the less I like these invites.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think he has earned his invites for this year, 20 odd years a pro and work done on the players committee etc. I wouldn't begrudge him this year at all. There is a mechanism outside of invites that allow "the next best/in line" to get starts (however I would say from my limited knowledge that invites seem to eat into this more than they should).
    But I also think that a year is enough at the current level of invites. Another year of the same would be.... a bit Irish.

Don't know about "earned" , just questioning it.

I follow many sports and there is little or no room for sentimentality.

Maybe this is a good thing, as let us be honest, golf is different in almost every way.

But - I was thinking , how do guys who are trying out say for 10 years, almost there, feel about these invites ? There is no one waving flags for them.

Is Euro Tour so weak, it has to make up invites of yesteryear.

Maybe I'm being too harsh - but that is the victory and defeat of sport.

Peter lost his card , he lost his card in one of the most bizarre and honest ways - "this strange coke thing".

But, you lose your card you lose your card. Is that not the way most sport and golf is supposed to be ?

Maybe this is a good thing, as let us be honest, golf is different in almost every way.

But - I was thinking , how do guys who are trying out say for 10 years, almost there feel about these invites ?

Is Euro Tour so weak, it has to make up invites ?

Peter lost his card , he lost his card in one of the most bizarre and honest ways - "this strange coke thing".

But, you lose your card you lose your card. Is that not the way most sport and golf is supposed to be ?

Every tour has invites Fixde.

• Advertisement

Fair enough Jerry ,

But it is meant to be the top level of our game in europe.

can't think of a top level sport with invites.

Imagine an invite in Rugby, Football, European Championships.

We are supposed to be talking , above elite level here , Pro.

Not very professional when I hear - "ahh sure he is friends with" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

I see what you're saying, but if we accept the fact that sponsors invites are part and parcel of pretty much any tour event on any tour, surely the sponsor is free to give them to whoever he wants to, as opposed to, say, a struggling young up and coming player who arguably "needs" it more ?
    I think discretionary sponsors invites are a very small price to pay to keep the sponsors coughing up the money.

People/players/managers do favours in all sports, there's no such thing really as pure meritocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Back to the French Open.... Peter finished on +8 which is 4 outside the projected cut so deffo not playing at the weekend.

I recall Philip Walton got lots of sponsors' invitations in the period after he lost his card. He had the 1995 Ryder Cup on his CV so I'd say made a convincing case for an invite but eventually when you're missing the cut so often, the invites dry up. Really hope Peter can get back on track soon.

Fair enough Jerry ,

But it is meant to be the top level of our game in europe.

can't think of a top level sport with invites.

Imagine an invite in Rugby, Football, European Championships.

We are supposed to be talking , above elite level here , Pro.

Not very professional when I hear - "ahh sure he is friends with" :eek:

Plenty of top level sports rely on invites Fix... Obviously not team events, but it's much more common when you compare golf to individual sports.
    Aren't all professional track and field events pretty much based on invites?
    Professional boxing is pretty much invitational in nature
    And they're not always inviting the elite of the sport... a pace maker would be depriving an up an coming runner of a spot? Boxers will often shy away from the "next best" boxer.

But - I was thinking , how do guys who are trying out say for 10 years, almost there, feel about these invites ? There is no one waving flags for them.

Is Euro Tour so weak, it has to make up invites of yesteryear.

I think you're the sentimental one :)

The lad in your example has successfully failed to prove his ability for ten year. Someone like Lawrie has proven his ability to be able to compete for an extended period and a loss of card is a blip, or not, but he's much more likely to add some quality to a field.

I think you're the sentimental one :)

The lad in your example has successfully failed to prove his ability for ten year. Someone like Lawrie has proven his ability to be able to compete for an extended period and a loss of card is a blip, or not, but he's much more likely to add some quality to a field.

Maybe - but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think , you shouldn't be in a professional sporting event unless you qualify.

I guess not that important what I think - as he has the "friends".

Maybe - but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think , you shouldn't be in a professional sporting event unless you qualify.

I guess not that important what I think - as he has the "friends".

I would agree that it would be ideal that everyone got a fair chance. But it's far from an ideal world.
    As long as you have people in sport you'll have friends, preferences etc.... The lad from the wrong province in Rugby, the wrong parish in GAA, the lad that won't dope in cycling, the golfer who has putt in a fair bit of work behind the scenes assisting others and "earning" :) friends.

I would agree that it would be ideal that everyone got a fair chance. But it's far from an ideal world.
    As long as you have people in sport you'll have friends, preferences etc.... The lad from the wrong province in Rugby, the wrong parish in GAA, the lad that won't dope in cycling, the golfer who has putt in a fair bit of work behind the scenes assisting others and "earning" :) friends.

Fine - it doesn't make it right.

At top level, if a guy is not good enough , he is found out.

BTW - you don't need last word , there was a guy on here like that once.

Fine - it doesn't make it right.

At top level, if a guy is not good enough , he is found out.

BTW - you don't need last word , there was a guy on here like that once.

Agreed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Are we debating the idea of sponsor invites in general or the fact that Peter got one ?
    Invites are a great way for players to get a chance or a break, otherwise it's even more of a closed shop, a bit like the top 50 always playing each other and getting ranking points for doing it. Ultimately pro sports people are entertainers and I guess if a sponsor feels he's getting better value by having player x in the field then it's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Bit sad really. Second rate plodder. Not good enough. What is the cutoff point for a journeyman. Gary Murphy packed up and he is a good analyst. That was a good move for him. Lawrie never puts 4 rounds together. Not personal criticism, but he has had lots of freebies.

Bit sad really. Second rate plodder. Not good enough. What is the cutoff point for a journeyman. Gary Murphy packed up and he is a good analyst. That was a good move for him. Lawrie never puts 4 rounds together. Not personal criticism, but he has had lots of freebies.

Gary Murphy has a bit of catching up to do with Lawrie having earned about €4 million more in prize money.
    Journeymen get well paid in golf at this level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Invites essential, sure the likes of Rory and Spieth owe their cards to invites, same with Paddy at the Honda

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Gary Murphy has a bit of catching up to do with Lawrie having earned about €4 million more in prize money.
    Journeymen get well paid in golf at this level.
    I agree about the prize money. 4 million is a decent tank. But he is over 40, about number 800 in the world, and only one tour win. No form in about 3-4 years. At what point would you throw in the towel?

I agree about the prize money. 4 million is a decent tank. But he is over 40, about number 800 in the world, and only one tour win. No form in about 3-4 years. At what point would you throw in the towel?

Yip, it's actually 6m in career earnings vs Murphy's 2m.

I don't think the (packing it in) point is too far away but at the same time he hasn't exactly disgraced himself this year. He has given himself plenty of chances (with good Thursdays & Fridays) and shown enough form to give a little hope... and show me a golfer who doesn't grab onto that little bit of hope.

Scraping by a card would be considered a huge success imo. He has hinted/said in interviews that the game (power, distance) has almost passed him out. So it's all relative, he's not searching for some return to form that will magically change things, he's looking to play very good golf that will just about keep him at that level.
    He has only been a half decent weekend or two away from securing that card. So, if he misses out on a card this year, I think he could easily justify giving it another year at least. (I can't see the same level of invites being extended and that wouldn't be fair on others imo.)

I can only imagine it's quite hard to even consider throwing in the towel when the prospect of 4 good days could possibly add another half million or so to the bank account. I would say it would be daft to even consider packing it in just yet, even if he was only looking at 10 or so starts next year. (Assuming he doesn't earn a card this year)

Yip, it's actually 6m in career earnings vs Murphy's 2m.

I don't think the (packing it in) point is too far away but at the same time he hasn't exactly disgraced himself this year. He has given himself plenty of chances (with good Thursdays & Fridays) and shown enough form to give a little hope... and show me a golfer who doesn't grab onto that little bit of hope.

Scraping by a card would be considered a huge success imo. He has hinted/said in interviews that the game (power, distance) has almost passed him out. So it's all relative, he's not searching for some return to form that will magically change things, he's looking to play very good golf that will just about keep him at that level.
    He has only been a half decent weekend or two away from securing that card. So, if he misses out on a card this year, I think he could easily justify giving it another year at least. (I can't see the same level of invites being extended and that wouldn't be fair on others imo.)

I can only imagine it's quite hard to even consider throwing in the towel when the prospect of 4 good days could possibly add another half million or so to the bank account. I would say it would be daft to even consider packing it in just yet, even if he was only looking at 10 or so starts next year. (Assuming he doesn't earn a card this year)

early post :D

You are now saying invites wouldn't be fair on others if it was next year. You can't have it every way.

My position is - it is a joke. Not good for the sport , or for Peter himself to be honest.

It is the top level of our sport - should be no invites at all, just because you know someone.

Surprised you would defend it PARlance - can see why they can't win All Irelands out west now.

early post :D

You are now saying invites wouldn't be fair on others if it was next year. You can't have it every way.

My position is - it is a joke. Not good for the sport , or for Peter himself to be honest.

It is the top level of our sport - should be no invites at all, just because you know someone.

Surprised you would defend it PARlance - can see why they can't win All Irelands out west now.

It's only a page back but I'll quote it for you Fix, see last sentence.

uote="PARlance;96103561"]I think he has earned his invites for this year, 20 odd years a pro and work done on the players committee etc. I wouldn't begrudge him this year at all. There is a mechanism outside of invites that allow "the next best/in line" to get starts (however I would say from my limited knowledge that invites seem to eat into this more than they should).
    But I also think that a year is enough at the current level of invites. Another year of the same would be.... a bit Irish.[/quote]

I've never said it's fair, sport isn't fair, life isn't fair.
    Off topic, but since you brought it up. It's a bit rich for a Dub to talk about parity or fairness in sport and then bring GAA into the equation. A county that has taken the national stadium over and somehow considers it their home, a county with double the population of Connaught let alone any of it's counties. A county that in reality has completely underperformed given it's population.
    Maybe us guys in the West don't have the same notions about some idealistic world because we know only too well that things are rarely fair. Maybe that's why we (and the rest of the country) had a smile when we took over "your" hill, watched you throw the toys out of the pram, and then handed you a nice beating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

It's only a page back but I'll quote it for you Fix, see last sentence.

uote="PARlance;96103561"]I think he has earned his invites for this year, 20 odd years a pro and work done on the players committee etc. I wouldn't begrudge him this year at all. There is a mechanism outside of invites that allow "the next best/in line" to get starts (however I would say from my limited knowledge that invites seem to eat into this more than they should).
    But I also think that a year is enough at the current level of invites. Another year of the same would be.... a bit Irish.

I've never said it's fair, sport isn't fair, life isn't fair.
    Off topic, but since you brought it up. It's a bit rich for a Dub to talk about parity or fairness in sport and then bring GAA into the equation. A county that has taken the national stadium over and somehow considers it their home, a county with double the population of Connaught let alone any of it's counties. A county that in reality has completely underperformed given it's population.
    Maybe us guys in the West don't have the same notions about some idealistic world because we know only too well that things are rarely fair. Maybe that's why we (and the rest of the country) had a smile when we took over "your" hill, watched you throw the toys out of the pram, and then handed you a nice beating ;)[/quote]

......Let the kitten have its milk fix 😜

Dealerz wrote: »

......Let the kitten have its milk fix 😜

Only a bit of needle Dealerz... and you Dubs seem to like them :)

• Advertisement

:D
    Only a bit of needle Dealerz... and you Dubs seem to like them :)

So that is fine - you are basically saying it is wrong. I'm happy with that acknowledgment.

Whilst nothing is perfect in life. Sport does provide the chance for anyone to take on anyone. It is a basic ideal of sport.

It is why you have people from different races and backgrounds (whilest rare, even from the west) competing at The World Cup , The Olympics etc.

In the majority of sports - it is in fact a meritocracy. Look at Kerry in football, Kilkeny in Hurling, very small populations.

Anyway - end of the road. It is totally wrong - not sport in my eyes.

Did someone mention Denis O'Brien - it gets worse.

Nothing against Peter - In fact , I'm a big fan of the Tricolour up there. But I can't let unfairness in sport go.

It just shouldn't be part of the sport (IMO thankfully :D).

Advertisement