Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

An opinion of your own too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It makes sense that they're looking for PPSNs to identify the correct allowance each household should get.

However, I think that the whole thing is a step too far, considering my parents haven't been able to drink their water supply for the past year due to Cryptosporidium.

Edit: Why does there always seem to be a vulture on this website just waiting to pounce on an OP for not giving their own opinion? Its gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have no problem giving them PPS and DD details. PPS is the only way to ensure households get the correct allowance per person. It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

This whole Irish Water thing is a farce.
    In my opinion its just another job for the boys, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I'd like to see a breakdown of how it is managed from the top to the bottom.

it's another way of creating jobs with huge salaries for the top down to middle management.

More than likely the guy's on the ground doing the hard work will be paid a minimum wage,with an incremental raise of 27 cent onto their hourly rate every 2 year's.

Anywho I think it's a bit too much to be asking people for their pps nos.

In that case they can probably deduct the payments from your welfare or tax credits. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Phoenix wrote: »
    Care to read up again thanks,was typing it and since you were asking wheres your own opinion?

Nice ninja edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Dont see the big deal here in requesting pps numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Property Tax....Water Tax.....No Difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will be giving nothing voluntarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i don't know why they cannot just set it up like another utility like electric ireland or bord gais they don't need your pps numbers!

pay for what you use, and feck these "allowances" which are probably going to be abused anyway with fake pps numbers, or people resident outside the state's relatives...etc using their pps numbers.

its just messy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

So it seems Irish water will be asking you for your PPS number - LINK. However Irish water seem to be unaware they legally can't seek this information. By law the only company's and agencies that can seek such information have to be listed as approved by the Department Of Social Protection, The Minister Of Social Protection and written into legislation , see question 8 on the welfare web site - LINK

A Full and comprehensive list of the department and agencies the DSP can share PPS data with is listed here - Schedule 5 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005". Irish Water are not listed.

More info on the use of PPSN here -LINK

So After hours will you help Irish water break the law ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    So After hours will you help Irish water break the law ?

I will be supplying Irish water with my PPS because I'm an anarchist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

On a water charges related note, Simon Coveney while giving an interview on newstalk this morning said

(at the moment Irish taxpayers are paying about 1.2 billion euros for the cost of water, water is not free at the moment)

His comment contradicts the argument some people make on internet forums that water is somehow free and now all of a sudden we need to pay for it, when we already paying for it through general taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

There is no law that says they cannot seek your PPS number.

There may be one that says you do not have to give it to them, which is a completely different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Merged these threads together.

Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Nice ninja edit.

Oh dear. Best call it a day, fella.

Valetta wrote: »
    There is no law that says they cannot seek your PPS number.

There may be one that says you do not have to give it to them, which is a completely different matter.

According to the data protection commisioner you are wrong - see question 11.1 - http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Use-of-PPSN/1247.htm
    It is an offence for any person or body to request or hold a record of a PPS number unless they are permitted by law (the Social Welfare Acts)to do so. It is the duty of all bodies to ensure that they are specified in law as being so entitled before they request or hold a record of any person's PPS number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

My guess is you either give them the PPSN or you get no allowance which would be in their interest so I doubt they give a ****
    According to the data protection commisioner you are wrong - see question 11.1 - http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Use-of-PPSN/1247.htm

They will probably have permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Waiting for the PPS tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

a childs allocation is enough for a quick shower and one flush of the jacks...

ye wouldn't want the scutters I tells ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

They can have my pps no. along with my wages ,my house (property tax) and everything else I have bar the clothes on my back or do they want them as well.

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    a childs allocation is enough for a quick shower and one flush of the jacks...

ye wouldn't want the scutters I tells ye

Stop feeding them cheap curried chips and you'll be grand.

Ok. I stand corrected.

However, I would assume that the law will be amended, if not already done to allow for them to seek PPS numbers.

Perhaps the websites haven't been updated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

considering my parents haven't been able to drink their water supply for the past year due to Cryptosporidium.

Surely this is a good reason to give Irish water your full support - they will invest and have a lot more expert to correct issues than any local council.

It worked very well in the UK where there used to be huge issues with water quality - now almost unheard of because there is constant investment.

Asx for PPS numbers - we give airlines our passport numbers for going on a 30 minute journey. All it means is peope don't cheat and the honest ones don't pay for those who cheat.

(I used to live in US and also UK - so am well used to water charges and property taxes at multiples of what we are being charged here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

There are several other acts which allow, or even require companies to ASK for a PPS. The Terrorism/Money Laundering acts requires that banks ask all new applicants to supply a PPSN - I don't think you have to give it though.

Those who do not supply their PPS might find themselves punished in some ways. For example, if you lose your job the Department of Social Protection would likely not be able to talk to Irish Water concerning an allowance. So by not playing ball you could be kicking a can down the road.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    So by not playing ball you could be kicking a can down the road.

I love cliches, but generally try to avoid them like the plague. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

What will they do with all those who don't have PPS numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Stop feeding them cheap curried chips and you'll be grand.

I'll stick with the curry, its cheaper

Ok. I stand corrected.

However, I would assume that the law will be amended, if not already done to allow for them to seek PPS numbers.

Perhaps the websites haven't been updated?

Not as simple as updating a website, the hole data-protection and PPS numbers is a minefield......especially for a private company, wouldn't be so much if they where a state run company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

delahuntv wrote: »
    Surely this is a good reason to give Irish water your full support - they will invest and have a lot more expert to correct issues than any local council.

It worked very well in the UK where there used to be huge issues with water quality - now almost unheard of because there is constant investment.

Asx for PPS numbers - we give airlines our passport numbers for going on a 30 minute journey. All it means is peope don't cheat and the honest ones don't pay for those who cheat.

(I used to live in US and also UK - so am well used to water charges and property taxes at multiples of what we are being charged here!)

I also lived in uk and may i ask what were your bin charges ,motor tax ,doctor fees,medicine charges and school fees compared to here? They were multiple times less than here so your not comparing like for like are you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement