Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance

Options
  • 07-05-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

How long does it take for carers allowance to be granted if not declined?

Iv heard the system has been really long in the past, but has improved a bit since then.

Anybody that has just recently been granted carers allowance how long did the whole process take?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MissRachael29

Hi I applied the first week of march and still haven't heard anything, I rang last week to follow up my application and the lady said another 4 weeks or so.. so its like a 12 -14 weeks process. When i applied for domiciliary allowance it took around 2 months to process and i was accepted, i got 2 payments together. all the payments are backdated.

Just been on the phone again today to the department, and i was only told last week that i had 4 weeks left, a different employee there today told me that they are still processing applications from January and that it will be another few months till my application is even opened which was delivered to them in march.. so here comes the waiting game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiya11

Just been on the phone again today to the department, and i was only told last week that i had 4 weeks left, a different employee there today told me that they are still processing applications from January and that it will be another few months till my application is even opened which was delivered to them in march.. so here comes the waiting game :)

Ur joking.! That's a very long time. My sister applied mid march and she recieved a text message 2 weeks later saying her application is in process and they will be in contact soon. Have you recieved that message too? Do u reckon you'll be entitled to the respite lumpsome in June? Will it be back dated with ur weekly payments? Iv been told u cannot recieve respite lumpsome unless ur on carers a minimum of 6months but I'm not sure it's that's true or not. Sorry for the late reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rcdada

Once your in receipt for carer's before june you'll get the respite also is your sister receiving dca (respite comes automatically with this payment) my sister sent in her carer's and she received a text message the first week of February and she's told there still processing so I think it's going to be a long wait.....

rcdada wrote: »
    Once your in receipt for carer's before june you'll get the respite also is your sister receiving dca (respite comes automatically with this payment) my sister sent in her carer's and she received a text message the first week of February and she's told there still processing so I think it's going to be a long wait.....

No she's not receiving dca she's just caring for an elderly relative. Iv read lastnight online that u must be a Carer for a minimum of 6months to recieve respite so doubt she will get that although she cares for this person over a year I think u have to be a registered Carer. It ridiculous the amount of time it take for it to come threw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 rcdada

my sister was granted her carer's yesterday, hopefully your wait won't be too long!!!

rcdada wrote: »
    my sister was granted her carer's yesterday, hopefully your wait won't be too long!!!

Thanks brilliant news. I don't think she will get the respite tho because you have to be on carers 6months

Oh that's brilliant :) I'm still currently waiting, its taking so long.! also i have DCA since December and i will be receiving respite grant next week, it is Thursday and it is €1.375.00.
    if you don't automatically receive it you can claim it because your carers was granted before hand. As far as i know that's how it works.

The time it takes to come through is crazy, I'd imagine it's very annoying for some. My sister sent her application in on the last week in March so not long between you two. I really hope she gets the respite tho because she's caring for my granny well over a year now even tho she hasn't applied till March it's not an easy job, my gran can bearly do anything for herself. My sis had no choice but to leave her job and care for her. It was either that or a home. Although most nursing homes are great I'd be afraid she would think she was just been abandoned. Old age it's a terrible thing.! Sorry for the novel lol

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

im getting half rate carers allowance for 1 child.i applied for full carers allowance about 8 weeks ago.how much do you get with 2 more dependents or will it be done as 3 dependents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 GB68

Hi just been reading this thread re recent claims and wondering if anyone can answer some questions
    I applied for Carers Allowance in January 2014 although been looking after my mum since December 2012. When I applied we were living seperately although I was here all day she stayed the night alone but circumstances changed and she had a second stroke in Febuary and I have been here full time since. I have informed the Dept and they are aware of this. I was self employed and have not worked since last November. I own my own property but like many other am in arrears and have a deal with the lender.
    I had a visit from an inspector last week and was made to feel like I was begging...what she didn't ask to see..she questioned my property and why I am not renting it out. When I explained that part of the mortgage arrangement means I cannot sublet and ideally I am hoping this not to be a long term situation and perhaps one day I can return to live there and return to work she did not seem impressed. She also questioned how I had survived the past 6 months...with great difficuly my mum, credit cards the usual. I then received a social welfare card in the post and assumed it may now be sorted so rang them but no they are awaiting her report could be another month.... although they did say my case is marked priority but It's 17 weeks now. Can anyone tell me how long they waited after the inspector visit to hear?
    Many thanks

That's a first iv ever heard of inspector coming to visit (maybe only because of the change in your mothers health). Anybody I no of that has applied only (this year) has been waiting roughly 14Weeks. I'm currently waiting 11weeks now. You should keep ringing to find out what is the delay, also explain your difficulties, financially. Hope u get sorted soon. These people don't realize how much money us carers actually save them by looking after a person in need. The government would need pay out hundreds for nursing homes and staff to do our job.! They also expect us to live of fresh air for weeks on end. Totally scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 longlad81

i applied in february and was granted at end of may which isnt that long considering all the claims

so there working pretty quick compared to last year

totally kiyall but the ones working in carers r not the government there only doing a job so respect has to be given there too i know us as carers have a tough time but there only following rules n regulations

gb68 i have an inspector out too for a means assessment as i was living off savings its all just part of the process i rang a few days later to see if there was an update and was told the file was stil with the inspector so i rang her and she said she was finished her report and file wud be sent back that week i got my approval letter the week after

longlad81 wrote: »
    totally kiyall but the ones working in carers r not the government there only doing a job so respect has to be given there too i know us as carers have a tough time but there only following rules n regulations

Yes most defiantly i understand everybody is just doing their job and there are so many people in this country in the same position. I was referring only to our government when I said (theses people) sorry my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

how much is full carers with 3 dependants

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciaradkennedy

Hi everyone, i am new to this so please bare with me. I applied for carers in May 2014, heard back approx 3 weeks ago, was declined because my hours were not sufficient. However since i made my original claim alot changed due to my dads declining health.He has dementia, my mother went into a nursing home this time last year with vascular dementia. I sent back in proof of hours (full time care/weekends staying at my home, moving in with me full time shortly).I sent back all this info with letters from Dist Nurse and dads Doctor who both said i am caring for him full time. Medically he has been approved for carers. I am now awaiting a decision on my allowance claim which is in review. Does anyone know roughly how long this takes as i am out a small fortune at this stage. Can i make one final point, the people who answer the phone for carers are very helpful i have found, the delay comes in higher departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Couch Potatoe

Kiya11 wrote: »
    That's a first iv ever heard of inspector coming to visit (maybe only because of the change in your mothers health). Anybody I no of that has applied only (this year) has been waiting roughly 14Weeks. I'm currently waiting 11weeks now. You should keep ringing to find out what is the delay, also explain your difficulties, financially. Hope u get sorted soon. These people don't realize how much money us carers actually save them by looking after a person in need. The government would need pay out hundreds for nursing homes and staff to do our job.! They also expect us to live of fresh air for weeks on end. Totally scandalous.

A lovely Inspector came to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm reading these posts with interest as I had a hell of a time getting Carer's Allowance a few years back. I had been getting the Carer's Benefit till the stamps ran out, then they refused the allowance as my relative had somehow miraculously recovered. :D My advice to ye is get on to a TD, preferably one who is a government minster, that shakes things up. With an election looking likely in the next 18 months or so, they should be ever so helpful. Hope this helps, and good luck to ye, keep fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jackie f

Hi I'm new to this I applied for carers allowance end of April 2014 was refused on medical saying person not needing full time care in October, sent in more evidence for review in October still waiting does anyone know how long a review takes? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kathy m

Hi Jackie, I sent mine for review in July .same as yourself ( medical grounds ) When i spoke with them last week i was told it was sent to social welfare inspector and they would contact me before sending it back to deciding officer.

Hi Kathy
    Got my review back today refused again said that the person is not so invalided to require full time care, and the person does not meet the care requirements set out in section 179 (4) of the act. And I didn't provide sufficient evidence to prove he needs full time care. Don't know what else I can send to them so I guess I'll have to send it all to appeal maybe get more letters off doctors so another long wait its terrible:( hope you get sorted Kathy let me know how you get on :-)

Sorry to hear that Jackie, Do appeal it i know it wil be another long wait , get your TD involved, Doctor , Health nurse and give them every detail of what you do as a carer from day to day. Good luck with it and i hope it all works out for you

Hi does anyone know how long appeal takes and what evidence would you need to send?

Hi Jackie i,ve seen some posts where it has taken quite a while for appeals. Get some more letters from your doctor,health nurse and give them written details of everything u do from day to day .Get your TD invovled as well. I,m still waiting on review. 17 weeks now. Its been with the inspector the last 5 wks, waiting on a call from them. If refused again i think i give up . I will just carry on as i,m doing. But good luck Jackie with your appeal . I hopes it goes well

Please Kathy don't give up did u go to TD? That's very long waiting on review I'm just trying to get more evidence then I'll send it off for appeal but won't give up its very hard but keep fighting :-)

Hi Jackie, I spoke to my TD a few times now and to the inspector. They told me they would be in touch in due course. I have everything i need for the inspector incase i,m been means tested again and an up to date letter from doctor . So i wait and see . But i am now just going to enjoy Christmas with the family and wait untill i hear from them. Get going on your review Jackie and send it off to them . And best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liisa88

Hello, Im fairly new to all of this, but i applied in the mid of November and called about it a month later to ask how are things going and i was told it takes 16 weeks from the application date to get a decision. Does anyone have an idea what are the odds of getting the carers allowance when you already are granted domiciliary allowance and the grant (recently)?

• Advertisement

Hi Lisa
    I applied in April 2014 was refused in Oct sent in for review and was refused again so I sent it to appeal Dec 14 so going to be a long wait, you might be ok because you have the domiciliary allowance might not to wait as long. Good luck hope you get sorted soon :-)

Advertisement