Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>taxation and ownership documents>Getting replacement documents

Options
  • 21-12-2005 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭

If you're the registered owner of a vehicle, you can apply for replacement documents using an RF134 form.
    Form RF134 must be completed and witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at a Garda station and presented or posted with the appropriate fee (see table below) to your Motor Tax Office.

Click here for application for replacement documents

Registration book - Replacement Fee 12 euro
    RF 101 Vehicle Licensing Certificate /Registration Certificate - Replacement Fee 12 euro
    Tax Disc - Replacement Fee 6 euro
    Trailer licence 6 euro
    Certificate of Roadworthiness (light and heavy) 7 euro

If you are not named as the owner on the Vehicle Registration Certificate (if the seller didn't send off the VRC for example) and there is no contact with the seller/registered owner, there is a process in place to obtain a new VRC

The new owner must submit the Statutory Declaration Form to the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare.

The Declaration includes garage certified details and the sworn date of purchase can be used as the date from which the tax is to be charged,

no Garda stamp is required.
    No Rf134 is required.

Statutory Declarations can be witnessed by a commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public/Practising Solicitor or Peace Commissioner.

Click here to view Statutory declaration form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Hi,

I've filled in the replacement reg book form and got it signed by Garda. It doesn't have the fee anywhere included on it?does anyone know how much it is?
    Will a postal order do just paper-clipped onto it?

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

zero_ wrote: »
    Hi,

I've filled in the replacement reg book form and got it signed by Garda. It doesn't have the fee anywhere included on it?does anyone know how much it is?
    Will a postal order do just paper-clipped onto it?

Thanks a lot.

€12 payable to your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

Thanks - i sent it yesterday. A postal order is fine I'm sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Netherlands

I bought a car, either the dealer or the Motor office lost the log book, so now I can not tax it.

I have requested a form so I can declare the car is mine, to be signed in the the Garda.

We will see how this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What date did you buy car?
    Did dealer say they had it, and have posted it to Shannon?
    Give it a couple weeks, the processing time can be slow.

I bought it on the 12th February,I rang Shannon and they said they had not received anything, the dealer said he had posted the paperwork in.

I am going to give it until Monday and see.

The procedure is this.

Request a statutory declaration form.

Bring the car to a main dealer (authorised dealer of the said brand), so they can certify it is an Irish model.

Your PPS number.

Utility bill, no more than 3 months old.

Witnessed by a solicitor, commissioner of oaths or a notary.

Not sure how much it is going to cost me yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I bought it on the 12th February,I rang Shannon and they said they had not received anything, the dealer said he had posted the paperwork in.

I am going to give it until Monday and see.

The procedure is this.

Request a statutory declaration form.

Bring the car to a main dealer (authorised dealer of the said brand), so they can certify it is an Irish model.

Your PPS number.

Utility bill, no more than 3 months old.

Witnessed by a solicitor, commissioner of oaths or a notary.

Not sure how much it is going to cost me yet.

I only done all this last month for a 520d.

Cost me €12.60 in total (excluding fuel for driver to said people)
    • BMW didnt charge me for signing and stamping the form.
    • Solicitor charged me €12
    • Postage was 60c
    you send all that in, they send a letter to the registered owner giving the 14 days to contest it and then you get the new log book. the whole process takes about 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hondavtec

Got a car wit out a log book how do I get a new log book??can any one help me plz

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where did you get it? Most likely the car is still in the name of the previous owner, if you get them to apply for a replacement, cost is €12...

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/ReplacementDocuments/

Then when they receive the new form they use the new owner portion of it to put you as new owner and resend to Shannon.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I got the chassis number verified by a dealer, easy they just looked under the bonnet and confirmed the serial number with the database (no charge)

The solicitor charged me 10 euro for stamping the form.

I was told by the police once I had the statutory declaration that I was operating within the law.

I sent all the documents via registered post on the 10th March, just received the log book today.

I believe that the previous owner has 14 days to reply to Shannon saying they no longer own the car ( so the previous owner must have acted quickly on this).

Overall a good experience if not a little hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Are Shannon particularly busy right now? Did a change of address and it's been a few weeks. Getting a wee bit worried.

Not sure how busy they are, though they operate 3 days behind from receipt of the post, though you can see that I got my new log book within 12 days, so I would call them if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I sent off all this on a jeep I bought, three months ago. No word since. I'm gonna do it all again and resend. PITA. Last owner said he "lost the logbook before he got the chance to post it to shannon".

Hi,

Just a suggestion (though I am sure you have thought of it, use registered post). My understanding is that they post a letter to the previous owner and if he or she does not contest it in the given time frame, then you become the owner of the car.

Regretfully, it sounds like they lost your paperwork, as the car would have been transferred to you if to you by now had they received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi All

Quick question - where do I call or better still anyone have a number to get a duplicate VLC/ log book.

The original is lost somewhere.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

I got mine sorted by filling out an RF134 and having it stamped by a Garda.

Next time I have to send the logbook to Shannon I'll be sure to use registered post. The lady who served me at the motor tax office changed the address for me on the computer before she ordered the new one to be sent out so it came to my new address in a couple of days.

An Post are normally pretty good but you should never trust them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

whats the number to check if they have receive log book of a car and is still in processing? I'm checking on line on motortax web page in transaction enquiry form and no sign of any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

Hi folks.

I bought a car at the start of the new year from a garage in Dublin.Had NCT but the tax was out at the end of december last year.

I never recieved the log book but i went into the tax office to tax it one day to tax it but i couldnt as the car was still in the previous owners name(not the garage).The girl in the tax office wouldnt tell me who the previous owner was.

The garage has gone under since and im sort of stuck in a tricky situation.
    Luckily i was working in the UK for the last 6 months and didnt have much use for the car but now im back and want to get it sorted ASAP.

The last tax disc reads december 2013.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to resolve this mess.

Kind regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Was in the same boat recently, previous owner posted the log book but it never arrived in Shannon. You will need:

1. A form from the department of transport
    2. A sworn affidavit from a solicitor or commisioner of oaths saying the car is yours (on the form sent out)
    3. A stamp from a main dealer confirming the reg and chassis numbers of the car
    4. Copy of bill with proof of address
    5. Your licence number

Then it takes up to 2 months to post it out.

Will be interesting for me when I go to tax the car, its out a year but car was "bought" by me in may. I have no way to declare the car off the road because its not in my name. I wont be paying arrears thats for sure while its off the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

Thanks for reply.

Bloody ell,thats some mess aint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The reason it takes so long is because they have to write to the current owner of the car on their system to confirm that they are actually no longer the owner of the car. If they hear nothing in something like 45 days then they proceed to transfer ownernship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rs24

Hi all,

As a result I sent an rf134 form signed and stamped by the gardai to get replacement cert issued to her address. However as the car is in the sellers name, our local tax office returned advising replacement doc can only be requested by registered owner.

I have received so much inaccurate information on how to get the car registered in her name.
    I haven't gotten an affidavit signed by a commissioner of oats and hope to send that along with a signed and stamped rf134 form to dept of transport or our local tax office.

Has anyone any advice/experience on whether I am taking the right steps or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

commissioner of oats

I think that's supposed to be

'Commissioner of oafs'

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mummy5

I bought a 2nd hand car in March 2014, this year. After numerous promises from previous owner I still have not received my log book. I contacted Shannon dept. of Transport and they sent me a Statutory Declaration form which a garage and solicitor/peace keeper must sign and stamp.

Has anybody been through this process? Or have any idea on fees i can expect to pay?

Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the oaths commissioner only costs a small few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rs24

kceire wrote: »
    I only done all this last month for a 520d.

Cost me €12.60 in total (excluding fuel for driver to said people)
    • BMW didnt charge me for signing and stamping the form.
    • Solicitor charged me €12
    • Postage was 60c
    you send all that in, they send a letter to the registered owner giving the 14 days to contest it and then you get the new log book. the whole process takes about 4 weeks.

Hey, Who did you send the documents too? Local tax officer or Department of transport in Shannon. What the correct shannon address?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fair_Play

Bought a car earlier this year and still no logbook. The guy i bought it from said he sent out too logbooks on the same day and that they were lost in the post. Then, he said he'd get a new logbook and send it on. That's about 6 or 7 months ago. He's not even responding to me now. He sells a lot of cars on adverts.ie. What would be the next step for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Anyone know if you bring the rf134 form to motor tax office do they issue you with the replacement vehicle registration cert there and then or is it sent in the post?

Advertisement