Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Application Information

Options
  • 07-01-2014 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Since I'm getting fed up with the same questions being asked multiple times on a few threads I thought I'd start another thread answering the obvious questions on IEC 2014.

IEC is split into 2 sections. Stage 1 and Stage 2.
    http://www.moving2canada.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2014-online-application-process_applicants_EN.jpg

Stage 1 is due to open sometime in January but currently we do not know when.

To apply for Stage 1, you need to create a Kompass account. You will only be able to create your account when IEC opens.

You must upload:
    1. A copy of your passport. Your passport must not expire for the duration of your 2 year visa. Otherwise supposedly you will be only issued a visa until the expiry date of your visa.
    2. A CV/Resume. This must contain the information specified at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/resume.aspx however the exact format is not specified and is not critical if previous years are anything to go on. You can upload MS Documents format (.docx) or PDF. (other formats maybe supported).

When you have submitted this information, you will be emailed within 48hours for payment of the IEC fees. According to http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/fees-frais.aspx the fees are 150CAD. However previously this was converted to a round euro figure.

You can pay your fees online through internet banking which is the easiest method. You are required to enter details in the payment which are detailed in the email. You must provide 'proof of payment', for this people have submitted a screenshot of the detailed payment screen from internet banking. It is also possible to pay within an Irish branch as well.

Payment in other currencies has not previously been supported.

Other countries this year have supported credit card payment but currently there is no information on whether this will be available to Ireland.

After payment is completed, your IEC application will be assessed, if you are accepted you will receive a "Conditional Letter of Acceptance" which is required for Stage 2, receiving this letter can take 2 weeks.

Stage 2.
    Stage 2 is run by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada). You must create a myCIC account at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp using the GCKey Login.

Within the myCIC account, you fill out an online form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp under Getting Started
    If you fill this out it should recommend an IEC visa and give you a unique code which identifies the forms you must complete.
    Completing this form you need to enter:
    You want to Work in Canada.
    You want to stay for more than 6 months
    Nationality as Ireland
    Country of Residence is Ireland
    You Don't have a written offer from an employer in Canada
    Everything else should be obvious in that form.

Once you have your Unique code, you can enter that into you MyCIC account which then lists all the forms you must complete and upload.

There are 2 main forms to complete:
    IMM1295E -> Which is your details, address, work, education, passport details.
    IMM5707E -> Details your family, your parents address, their occupation and if they intent to join you in Canada.
    CV -> Previously you had to upload you CV at this stage, since you now need to do it in Stage 1, you might not be required at this stage.
    Passport -> A scan of your passport
    Garda Certificate -> A scan of your Garda Certificate (detailed below).

Once you submit this information, CIC will determine your eligibility. Depending on how busy they are this can take up to a month. You will be issued a "Letter of Introduction". This is valid for 1 calendar year. You must enter Canada within this period to get your visa. The Visa is valid for 2 years from the date of entry to Canada.

Garda Certificate: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1 this takes a couple of weeks usually.

Entering Canada:
    You must have insurance for your period in Canada. There are a few companies which offer insurance. I've yet to meet someone who has been asked for proof of insurance but if you don't have it they could reject you.
    You must also have Proof of funds. Again not usually asked for, and you need to show equivalent of 2500CAD from within the past week. A printout of your Irish balance should be sufficient if you are asked for this.

Hopefully this will be of some use. And hopefully will reduce the same questions being asked again and again! Further information can be found at:
    http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-canada-visa/
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx

I may have missed some bits here, but this is based on my experience and on currently published information. Any of this might change in 2014 as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Good post Fergus.

I'm sure this post will put a lot of people at ease who are panicking over the IEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Yeah thanks for this, great help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sineadmagee

Hi

so my passport has not been valid for the pass year and iv only sent it away for renewal this week!! Does this mean I wont be able to apply for a visa if the visas for Canada open before my passport arrives? please help as I am panicking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Hi

so my passport has not been valid for the pass year and iv only sent it away for renewal this week!! Does this mean I wont be able to apply for a visa if the visas for Canada open before my passport arrives? please help as I am panicking!!

You need a valid passport to be accepted into IEC, I've heard recent passport applications are pretty quick so keep your fingers crossed you receive it before IEC opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sineadmagee

ok thank you

have you heard when they are due to open?

• Advertisement

As I mentioned in the original post, there is no information on exactly when it is due to open. January at some point is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 miak

That's clear and answers so many questions being asked in other forums.

Is it possible to start the MyCIC part of the application already? I saw someone say that some people may be uploading stuff on to this already, but I didn't think it was possible to do anything until the visas were released?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

miak wrote: »
    That's clear and answers so many questions being asked in other forums.

Is it possible to start the MyCIC part of the application already? I saw someone say that some people may be uploading stuff on to this already, but I didn't think it was possible to do anything until the visas were released?

Dont think so, you are given a number when you complete your kompass account and that number is used when you start myCIC account. My girlfriend went and set up a myCIC account thinking it was the kompass one and it specifically says not to set up more than 1, so she will have to delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

THANK YOU for this! Its frustrating when you've read all the posts and researched as much as you can but people keep clogging up the threads with the same basic questions that have been answered countless times on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommytans

Hi

Thanks for info....i will turn 36 yrs old Jan 15th.....if I make the IEC stage 1 application before this date do you think will i be accepted ? ( that is if the applications open up before then )

Thanks

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 elnino08

tommytans wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for info....i will turn 36 yrs old Jan 15th.....if I make the IEC stage 1 application before this date do you think will i be accepted ? ( that is if the applications open up before then )

Thanks

Tom

Yeah as long as it opens before you turn 36 and apply you are fine. I'm the 12th Jan so am not holding out much hope. The UK one closes on the 12th so I'd say Irish one will open then. Best of luck to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

My wife is applying when it opens do i need to apply to on her form or do i apply myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Corvo

Typically, how long once the window opens, would you have to apply before the quota is filled?

allanb49 wrote: »
    My wife is applying when it opens do i need to apply to on her form or do i apply myself?

You each apply separately and are treated as separate applications.

Corvo wrote: »
    Typically, how long once the window opens, would you have to apply before the quota is filled?

In 2012 it was a few months, in 2013 it was a few days... however in 2014 there are a few thousand more places. I still reckon they will go quick.

Actually one point to note, if you miss out on the quota initially but have a Kompass Account created, you can still 'apply'. You will be rejected, but if spaces open up in the future IEC will invite you to re-apply. I got my 2013 IEC in November having submitted my application a month after the quota filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I hope this hasn't been asked before but I am wondering what format you need to save your documents in?
    Ie does your Resume have to be in Html or Microsoft Word format? and if it has to be in Word are older versions ok to use?
    Do you have to scan your passport & save it to your pc & send it that way or can you send a photograph taken using a smartphone?

Apologies for the stupid questions - but there are a lot of different answers being given & I cannot find it on the websit.

Thanks,
    W.

Think I answered most of these in the original post. But for Resume, PDF or MS format is accepted. I cannot remember off hand if they accept old format (.doc) or is it only the newer .docx format. For your passport, a scan is probably the easiest way but I believe they accept a good quality photo. You can upload PDF or JPG image of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

fergusb wrote: »
    Think I answered most of these in the original post. But for Resume, PDF or MS format is accepted. I cannot remember off hand if they accept old format (.doc) or is it only the newer .docx format. For your passport, a scan is probably the easiest way but I believe they accept a good quality photo. You can upload PDF or JPG image of this anyway.

Thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommytans

fingers crossed to ya El Nino 08 it will be open before Jan 12th.....it would be nice for a couple of auld lads like ourselves at 36 to get the visa !! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

in regards to the cv,should i mention if i went to college? i dropped out after a year and a half.

• Advertisement

alexsmith wrote: »
    in regards to the cv,should i mention if i went to college? i dropped out after a year and a half.

Would you put it onto a CV for a job application? I'd treat this the same. As far as I'm aware it won't make a difference if you have been to college or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Since I'm getting fed up with the same questions being asked multiple times on a few threads I thought I'd start another thread answering the obvious questions on IEC 2014.

IEC is split into 2 sections. Stage 1 and Stage 2.
    http://www.moving2canada.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2014-online-application-process_applicants_EN.jpg

Stage 1 is due to open sometime in January but currently we do not know when.

To apply for Stage 1, you need to create a Kompass account. You will only be able to create your account when IEC opens.

You must upload:
    1. A copy of your passport. Your passport must not expire for the duration of your 2 year visa. Otherwise supposedly you will be only issued a visa until the expiry date of your visa.
    2. A CV/Resume. This must contain the information specified at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/resume.aspx however the exact format is not specified and is not critical if previous years are anything to go on. You can upload MS Documents format (.docx) or PDF. (other formats maybe supported).

When you have submitted this information, you will be emailed within 48hours for payment of the IEC fees. According to http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/fees-frais.aspx the fees are 150CAD. However previously this was converted to a round euro figure.

You can pay your fees online through internet banking which is the easiest method. You are required to enter details in the payment which are detailed in the email. You must provide 'proof of payment', for this people have submitted a screenshot of the detailed payment screen from internet banking. It is also possible to pay within an Irish branch as well.

Payment in other currencies has not previously been supported.

Other countries this year have supported credit card payment but currently there is no information on whether this will be available to Ireland.

After payment is completed, your IEC application will be assessed, if you are accepted you will receive a "Conditional Letter of Acceptance" which is required for Stage 2, receiving this letter can take 2 weeks.

Stage 2.
    Stage 2 is run by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada). You must create a myCIC account at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp using the GCKey Login.

Within the myCIC account, you fill out an online form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp under Getting Started
    If you fill this out it should recommend an IEC visa and give you a unique code which identifies the forms you must complete.
    Completing this form you need to enter:
    You want to Work in Canada.
    You want to stay for more than 6 months
    Nationality as Ireland
    Country of Residence is Ireland
    You Don't have a written offer from an employer in Canada
    Everything else should be obvious in that form.

Once you have your Unique code, you can enter that into you MyCIC account which then lists all the forms you must complete and upload.

There are 2 main forms to complete:
    IMM1295E -> Which is your details, address, work, education, passport details.
    IMM5707E -> Details your family, your parents address, their occupation and if they intent to join you in Canada.
    CV -> Previously you had to upload you CV at this stage, since you now need to do it in Stage 1, you might not be required at this stage.
    Passport -> A scan of your passport
    Garda Certificate -> A scan of your Garda Certificate (detailed below).

Once you submit this information, CIC will determine your eligibility. Depending on how busy they are this can take up to a month. You will be issued a "Letter of Introduction". This is valid for 1 calendar year. You must enter Canada within this period to get your visa. The Visa is valid for 2 years from the date of entry to Canada.

Garda Certificate: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1 this takes a couple of weeks usually.

Entering Canada:
    You must have insurance for your period in Canada. There are a few companies which offer insurance. I've yet to meet someone who has been asked for proof of insurance but if you don't have it they could reject you.
    You must also have Proof of funds. Again not usually asked for, and you need to show equivalent of 2500CAD from within the past week. A printout of your Irish balance should be sufficient if you are asked for this.

Hopefully this will be of some use. And hopefully will reduce the same questions being asked again and again! Further information can be found at:
    http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-canada-visa/
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx

I may have missed some bits here, but this is based on my experience and on currently published information. Any of this might change in 2014 as well.

According to the first link you posted, you don't need to upload scan of passport and CV until AFTER you've gotten your WTN number.

According to the first link you posted, you don't need to upload scan of passport and CV until AFTER you've gotten your WTN number.

If its anything like last year (which it might not be) from what I remember. You get at WTN number when you register on Kompass, but that number means nothing. You still have have to upload documents and pay in order to get your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 duffman44

[QUOTE=You Don't have a written offer from an employer in Canada
    What if you do have a offer? I have one

duffman44 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=You Don't have a written offer from an employer in Canada
    What if you do have a offer? I have one

The IEC Visa is for people without offers, if you say you have a job offer, the system might suggest a different visa type. If you plan to go for IEC, I would say you don't have an offer, it'll be easier I think!

Pretty handy having a job lined up before heading over!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Once stage one is complete and you have paid, how long do you have to complete stage two?

Great post Fergus, thanks alot!

Liam90 wrote: »
    Once stage one is complete and you have paid, how long do you have to complete stage two?

The Conditional Letter of Acceptance is valid for 6 months once issued, which you should get within about 2 weeks of payment of the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 duffman44

duffman44 wrote: »

The IEC Visa is for people without offers, if you say you have a job offer, the system might suggest a different visa type. If you plan to go for IEC, I would say you don't have an offer, it'll be easier I think!

Pretty handy having a job lined up before heading over!

Thanks for the reply,it was the company that told me to go for this visa, what other visa types is there? i thought it was only the work permit. The company that im going over to got refused the LMO thats why i have to get the work permit,they put in for it twice and it got refused both times,it was for a group of people,they told me it was because of the wrong job classification (noc code). They said if i get this visa they are going to pay for my flights and deposit on accommodation that should help secure my visa i hope.

There are a few PR options but they take a while to get. My advice would be to move to Canada on IEC, and if you want to stay, apply for PR when you are over here. Although if your job classification is wrong it could be tricky.

It might be easy to change your job title to 'fit' a noc code. So for example Secretary might not be valid, but Office Assistant is. (just an example I've no idea if those are or not!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I've got a question about the passport that someone might be to help me with.

I'm planning on going to South America this summer for 3-4 weeks before heading to Canada in October 2014. If my passport gets stamped when in South America will that matter when I arrive in Canada as I won't have those stamps on the passport photo that I will be including with my IEC Visa application passport.

Advertisement