Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

So if i got the Moto G off Meteor online, is it locked to the first sim inserted or just locked to meteor? Im with Three pre pay and want to stick with it, for now anyway.

Everyone who has tested so far confirms its locked to the 1 sim inserted. Either way at £3 to unlock its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

corsav6 wrote: »
    Everyone who has tested so far confirms its locked to the 1 sim inserted. Either way at £3 to unlock its no big deal.

Fair enough, seems to good to a deal to turn down.
    Any reason why its only Meteor that are supplying this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

So if i got the Moto G off Meteor online, is it locked to the first sim inserted or just locked to meteor? Im with Three pre pay and want to stick with it, for now anyway.

what gb is the meteor phone for €149? can u let us know if it indeed does lock to 1st sim, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

badker wrote: »
    what gb is the meteor phone for €149? can u let us know if it indeed does lock to 1st sim, thanks

8GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Probably too late now, but were you not offered an OTA update??

Tesco updates were first out of the block, and are so similar to stock it makes no difference.....

Also, flashing should be easy, as no complications like custom recovery, or changes to system files, etc.

SIM unlock makes no difference on any case.

Hi Irish Pancake,

I just unlocked the phone (the eBay guy sent me the unlock code in less than 10 minutes) and I eventually figures out how to flash the ROM - I'm not used to using command prompt so had to tread carefully but all worked fine.

The funny thing is when I powered up the phone with the Tesco SIM in it it immediately offered me an upgrade to KitKat which I declined. Having just flashed the stock ROM I went into About Phone -> System Updates and it's telling my my 4.3 phone is up to date :o

I guess I'll just have to wait in line for the stock update to be offered to me!!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why are people flashing to the Stock ROM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why are people flashing to the Stock ROM ?

The original reason was to get updates earlier. However, Tesco rolled out before the EU and GB ROM.

The current reason is because we can. It does fix the problem of not being able to change the default voicemail number but it seems that was fixed in KitKat. There is no benefit at the moment to flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

On the Moto G??

Are you talking about Cast Screen [Miracast]??
    Yes, the hardware supports it but the software has it disabled (same way the N4 got LTE), this can get WiDi / Miracast support. I believe if you use Infusion ROM, the option is enabled and working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2552123
    replaced by Cast Screen, which does not work for Moto G on KK...

no menu or options!!!
    Cast Screen / Wireless Display doesn't show any menu or preferences (other than enable), the available screens just appear if detected (same on N4).

cyanogenmod-11-cast-screen-180x300.png

So by ordering off Meteor online, and selecting "Get new number", there will be no sim inserted and i will be able to put in my three sim and off i go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

So by ordering off Meteor online, and selecting "Get new number", there will be no sim inserted and i will be able to put in my three sim and off i go?

Meteor don't put the sim in the phone for you. It's included in the box.

RangeR wrote: »
    Meteor don't put the sim in the phone for you. It's included in the box.
    Correct and if you flash the UK Stock ROM 4.3 that doesn't have the SL (SIM Lock) addition - you can put in any SIM you want at anytime without the unlocking code (just don't put any SIM in your phone AT ALL until this is completed). You will also need your bootloader unlocked to this this, how to here from Motorola.

Guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542219
    ROM - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=14&file=148

Blur_Version.14.71.8.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB

This is 4.3 by default, the OTA will arrive instantly or after a manual check in Settings > About > System Updates. If the OTA doesn't arrive, download this file below and rename it to the bold writing, place it on the root of the SD card and reboot your phone (root folder when connecting Moto G via USB cable).
    UK Retail - Blur_Version.174.44.9 falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/06...n.GB_4.4.2.zip
    Rename to Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB before applying.

Only a select few providers are applying the SL to their ROM's - most people in Meteor hadn't a clue about it. The Tesco one as well is the same, note the SL at the end of the version name below. All of the Motorola Firmwares from around the world can be found on the below link, it's best to stick with stock UK.

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Blur_Version.14.71.8.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.GB

Final tip - buy it online from Meteor if you can as a new number (don't worry if you are Meteor / eMobile already) so the SIM never touches the phone. In the retail outlets, the sales person has to put the SIM in and activate it (on the network) so it's accounted towards their tally of total phones sold so this is why online is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

advertsfox wrote: »
    Yes, the hardware supports it but the software has it disabled (same way the N4 got LTE), this can get WiDi / Miracast support. I believe if you use Infusion ROM, the option is enabled and working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2552123

Cast Screen / Wireless Display doesn't show any menu or preferences (other than enable), the available screens just appear if detected (same on N4).

cyanogenmod-11-cast-screen-180x300.png

I don't know about that..... that is tilaz ROM....he claimed it could buy got working on 4.3 too by modifying build.prop.....didn't work!!!

It showed Wireless Display OK, but could not connect to Miracast enabled devices!!!

The menu option I am talking about in Cast Screen is actually shown in your pic???

You know, the 3 vertical dots on top right??

That is not there on Moto G.....

It varies by device and OS, but Wireless Display is gone in KK, now called Cast Screen, I think to enable and prepare for future Chromecast local casting.

Here is my Nexus screenie of the Screen Cast screen, under Settings/Display...

I don't know about that..... that is tilaz ROM....he claimed it could buy got working on 4.3 too by modifying build.prop.....didn't work!!!

It showed Wireless Display OK, but could not connect to Miracast enabled devices!!!

The menu option I am talking about in Cast Screen is actually shown in your pic???

You know, the 3 vertical dots on top right??
    Well aware of what the Menu is, on my Nexus 4 it show just a toggle to Enable so I wouldn't call that a Settings menu since in your screenshot it's essentially the same thing with just an On / Off toggle and Help. I've messaged a developer on XDA about this, will hopefully get some updates soon.

I'm getting a Moto G soon to play with and am going to try get it working, will post any findings here. I flashed the US stock 4.4.2 a few weeks ago on my OH Moto G and Cast Screen seems to "function" but I have no Miracast to test with. The hardware supports it, CyanogenMod got Bluetooth working on the 1st gen Nook Colour and there are Play Edition ROM's and sources to work with so I have no doubt this will be available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

I bought an 8GB moto g from Tesco direct uk, locked to Tesco uk. I unlocked it via the ebay guy, and have now used three different SIMs in it without it locking again. Hope this helps!

Cheers advertsfox. The first thing im gonna do when the phone arrives is flash the UK Stock ROM and hope it all goes ok from there

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well aware of what the Menu is, on my Nexus 4 it show just a toggle to Enable so I wouldn't call that a Settings menu since in your screenshot it's essentially the same thing with just an On / Off toggle and Help. I've messaged a developer on XDA about this, will hopefully get some updates soon.

I'm getting a Moto G soon to play with and am going to try get it working, will post any findings here. I flashed the US stock 4.4.2 a few weeks ago on my OH Moto G and Cast Screen seems to "function" but I have no Miracast to test with. The hardware supports it, CyanogenMod got Bluetooth working on the 1st gen Nook Colour and there are Play Edition ROM's and sources to work with so I have no doubt this will be available soon.

I have US stock ROM on my Moto G......

there is Cast Screen option, but, as I have said previously, it does not work, to my LG Smart TV, which works, Miracast that is, from my Nexus 7 2013.....

LG TV sees Nexus, Nexus sees LG.......because both devices support Miracast.

Not so with my Moto G, which has that US KK ROM...

You obviously don't believe me, but that's OK, I'm not bullsh1tting here, I actually have the device and a Miracast enabled Smart TV, what would I know??

They don't play together, and I will pleasently surprised if Dev tilaz gets it to work,in whatever ROM.

BTW, I don't think it is surprising at all that a relatively low end device like the Moto G does not have this capability.

BBTW......just FYI....those three vertical dots in Android are indeed a menu, called an Action Bar, or overflow menu, so whether you call them that or not is immaterial really.....

they are what they are, designed by Google Devs for a purpose.

You obviously don't believe me, but that's OK, I'm not bullsh1tting here, I actually have the device and a Miracast enabled Smart TV, what would I know??

I never once implied I don't believe you, quite the opposite actually as my exact words were...

I'm getting a Moto G soon to play with and am going to try get it working, will post any findings here.

The hardware supports it... so I have no doubt this will be available soon.

BBTW......just FYI....those three vertical dots in Android are indeed a menu, called an Action Bar, or overflow menu, so whether you call them that or not is immaterial really..... they are what they are, designed by Google Devs for a purpose.
    I know exactly what the Menu / Action bar is in Android, I've been using Android since day 1 with the G1 so I think you are misunderstanding me. What I said was:

I wouldn't call that a Settings menu since in your screenshot it's essentially the same thing with just an On / Off toggle and Help.

What I meant was since it only has 1 real option (on or off), I wouldn't call it a Settings menu compared to the options from the Action Bar in Wireless / Bluetooth etc. with actual settings / preferences to work with. I think you need to read over my post again because nothing you have said is what I actually said / implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Adyx wrote: »
    Does this apply to USB devices such as keyboards and mice too?
    To answer my own question, no it doesn't. My MIDI keyboard works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

What is the meteor ROM like for updates? I'd flash updates if I had to but I'd much prefer not to mess with bootloader and ROM's due to issues in the past when my computer froze during the flashing process.

Also, to anyone who has been monitoring it, how long has Tesco Direct been out of stock of the 16gb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Adyx wrote: »
    To answer my own question, no it doesn't. My MIDI keyboard works perfectly.

Which apps are you using with your MIDI keyboard?

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Irish Pancake,

I just unlocked the phone (the eBay guy sent me the unlock code in less than 10 minutes) and I eventually figures out how to flash the ROM - I'm not used to using command prompt so had to tread carefully but all worked fine.

The funny thing is when I powered up the phone with the Tesco SIM in it it immediately offered me an upgrade to KitKat which I declined. Having just flashed the stock ROM I went into About Phone -> System Updates and it's telling my my 4.3 phone is up to date :o

I guess I'll just have to wait in line for the stock update to be offered to me!!!

Ben

OK, but you could go to KK now, if you wanted to!!

Also, if you have a custom recovery [CWM/TWRP] installed now, your OTA will fail.....you need to have stock recovery for it to succeed.

Also, if you rooted, using Chainfires SU flashable Zip in recovery, there is a chance your OTA will also fail.

Best way for OTA to succeed is/was to be completely stock, with no mods, [not including SIM/Network unlock here].

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Jackobyte wrote: »
    how long has Tesco Direct been out of stock of the 16gb?

Ok, I'll bite. Is it 2hrs? Do I get a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Also, to anyone who has been monitoring it, how long has Tesco Direct been out of stock of the 16gb?

Never mind these smart arses! Im desperate to get it too!

What would be useful to know also is how long they took to get it back in stock the last few times, so we'd have an estimate on when to expect it to come back in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

waveform wrote: »

What would be useful to know also is how long they took to get it back in stock the last few times, so we'd have an estimate on when to expect it to come back in stock.

Haven't been following it closely lately but back around xmas, it was back in stock almost each morning between 6 and 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

I sapose if you were to root this phone the warranty is gone?? And could someone link me on the best way to root a phone im going to test it on my old phone. Is it worth the risk??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

degsie wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite. Is it 2hrs? Do I get a prize?
    Cheers for the oh so insightful reply to an honest question. I've been monitoring the phone on and off since Novemberish when Amazon were the only sellers waiting to get the money together so you go away with your smart comments. I was looking for a reply from someone who has been waiting to order the 16gb from tesco who'd know how long they have been waiting to order for.

Cheers for an honest reply man. It's good to see that there are some decent folk left on boards. I need a new phone relatively soon as my old phone's battery is shot, having already replaced it once. My thought was that if the 16gb hasn't been in stock for a while, I'd just make do and pick up the 8gb in the meteor for a similar price.

Edit: replaced " **** right off" with "go away" in the first paragraph as I've had a few drinks and don't want a personal abuse infraction. The sentiment, however, I remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Which apps are you using with your MIDI keyboard?
    Caustic 3. Demo has saving disabled and MIDI input is time limited. Full version is €6.99. Well worth it in my opinion. It's a bit like Reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

OK, but you could go to KK now, if you wanted to!!

Also, if you have a custom recovery [CWM/TWRP] installed now, your OTA will fail.....you need to have stock recovery for it to succeed.

Also, if you rooted, using Chainfires SU flashable Zip in recovery, there is a chance your OTA will also fail.

Best way for OTA to succeed is/was to be completely stock, with no mods, [not including SIM/Network unlock here].

Best of luck!!

Hi IP,

I just installed the stock ROM, didn't try to root or anything and I was offered the KitKat update a few hours later which installed fine it's now bang to date on stock.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I sapose if you were to root this phone the warranty is gone?? And could someone link me on the best way to root a phone im going to test it on my old phone. Is it worth the risk??

What is your old phone? Each device will have a different method of rooting so your best bet is pop over to XDA and find your old device, plenty of guides available there and loads of mods.
    Is it worth the risk? Well depending on your device but if its an old phone then a custom rom may give it a new lease of life. I have rooted a lot of android devices and have yet to hard brick anything.

Advertisement