Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Climote heating / hot water control

Options
  • 26-10-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this counts as a bargain.
    Electric Ireland are giving away a free Climote control system to anyone who signs up to a 2 year contract at the ideal homes exhibition this weekend.

I am currently 1 month into a 1 year contract with them as it stands but was still eligible to sign up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Anyone know the terms and conditions.

Does it have to be direct debit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think there's a monthly fee for using the Climote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/electricity/

Handy site to compare elec prices.. Have the climote myself, find it damn handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Soarer wrote: »
    I think there's a monthly fee for using the Climote.
    There's no monthly fee, but an annual fee of €36 which is not due for the first 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Not free if you have to sign a contract, we save about €140 euro every year by changing companies, and having to pay annual access is just nonsense there are wifi or gsm units available that will do the same job with no annual fee. A golden sim is perfect for the gsm ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

built my own for 22e. took about 20m from start to finish. no monthly fees. actually got the idea from electric ireland when their flyer came in the door looking for THREE HUNDRED for the unit alone. see attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

built my own for 22e. took about 20m from start to finish. no monthly fees. actually got the idea from electric ireland when their flyer came in the door looking for THREE HUNDRED for the unit alone. see attached

Would you mind sharing the details of your project? Would love to learn a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Villan11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope this counts as a bargain.
    Electric Ireland are giving away a free Climote control system to anyone who signs up to a 2 year contract at the ideal homes exhibition this weekend.

I am currently 1 month into a 1 year contract with them as it stands but was still eligible to sign up.
    Ahh balls I changed over last month. Might ring them and see if I can get one

MAJJ wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing the details of your project? Would love to learn a bit.

np. will stick it up on a blog over the next day or so. code is already on github:

https://github.com/romperstomper/servoserial

shopping list:
    arduino(any microcontoller will work but these r cheap) - 20
    servo - 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

Plan to build something like this my self(waiting on parts). But want to add couple of temp sensors. Why do you need servo for?
    np. will stick it up on a blog over the next day or so. code is already on github:

https://github.com/romperstomper/servoserial

shopping list:
    arduino(any microcontoller will work but these r cheap) - 20
    servo - 2

maxiiim wrote: »
    Plan to build something like this my self(waiting on parts). But want to add couple of temp sensors. Why do you need servo for?

Looks like its taped to the front if the controller and push the on off button

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

Missed that:eek:
    ted1 wrote: »

cable-tied because it has to be quite rigid. this is physical computing :)

if u would like a better version make sure you pick up 2 ldr(s). this will be about 1e. you will use them tondetermine status

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I also built my own heating controller. Mine syncs with my Google calendar

http://www.chet.ie/?p=178

cable-tied because it has to be quite rigid. this is physical computing :)

if u would like a better version make sure you pick up 2 ldr(s). this will be about 1e. you will use them tondetermine status
    Would it not be neater and mor reliable if you were to just replace the button the controller and connect the relay output directly onto the board in parallel with the existing button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That is arguably the dodgiest thing I've ever seen!

Still though, it works fine then you can't complain :)

Thanks for sharing the details, as you say 20mins work. There's always room for improvement but a good start. I'll get busy reading up, cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You can buy non-rental versions of the Climote, you don't need to go hacking hardware if you don't want to.

The rental is a total con, typical ESB. Much like the handset rental so many (primarily) elderly Irish people are still paying to Eircom.

• Advertisement

rovoagho wrote: »
    You can buy non-rental versions of the Climote, you don't need to go hacking hardware if you don't want to.

The rental is a total con, typical ESB. Much like the handset rental so many (primarily) elderly Irish people are still paying to Eircom.

Cheers, might be up for a challenge or might cave:-)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I also built my own heating controller. Mine syncs with my Google calendar

http://www.chet.ie/?p=178

tbh, your setup is closer to what i had wanted to do. when i had a working prototype the digistat failed and had to be replaced (under warranty). when i took it back for a replacement, they wouldnt take it on the grounds that it had been 'interfered with'.

this physical controller is a way of not getting stung like this in the future. i have a similar functionality where my kettle comes on remotely. the unit sits on a small scale which needs the needle to come round to 1kg before it will turn on (safety feature to ensure enough water is within the kettle)

They don't charge rental, they charge fit the SIM charges and providing the service. I think its 27 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes the normal cost is for the climote and an annual charge to cover the sim.

I hate any of these Internet connected devices that are tied to using a 3rd party to work. There is absolutely no reason why if you have an internet connected heater/fridge/toaster that you can't login into it directly. In 5 years time when iToaster Inc goes down and the service dropped you're left with a useless device.

Fair enough it does simplify setup for the non technical but give the rest of us direct access to it and not have to pay a bloody subscription.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

They don't charge rental, they charge fit the SIM charges and providing the service. I think its 27 euro

You can call it what you want, I all it an ongoing regular fee for service provision. Or "rent" for short.

There are plenty of alternatives that can and do this over WiFi. Doing it over a cellular network is just ridiculous in 99% of cases.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I hate any of these Internet connected devices that are tied to using a 3rd party to work. There is absolutely no reason why if you have an internet connected heater/fridge/toaster that you can't login into it directly. In 5 years time when iToaster Inc goes down and the service dropped you're left with a useless device.

Fair enough it does simplify setup for the non technical but give the rest of us direct access to it and not have to pay a bloody subscription.
    For a mass marketed product it would be a total logistic nightmare to support if they relied in 3rd party networks..

We supply data loggers for our SAAS product and have nothing but problems getting comms out even just on port 80

You can call it what you want, I all it an ongoing regular fee for service provision. Or "rent" for short.

There are plenty of alternatives that can and do this over WiFi. Doing it over a cellular network is just ridiculous in 99% of cases.

No it's not , you would need a huge customer support and tech department,. Totally impractical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have GSM heating control and lighting for the past two years so i have some experience of it, but the servo one posted earlier is very cool.

Its handy on a cold evening when you are out with the family and you have the ability to turn on the heating or hot water for kids baths before you even get home so the house is nice and toasty warm.

Its also handy if we are away in the in laws down the country and we can turn on the yard lights/landing/bedroom/sitting room lights to show some sort of occupancy while we are away from the house.

The system i have is the homeeasy range... which is end of line now as lan/wifi units become more available.

Check out the homeeasy HE101 SMS Base unit (which takes a PAYG simcard) and the HE105 heating controller (basically a relay unit that needs to be wired in parallel to your normal heating controller)

You would get the two for under €50 on ebay from the UK.

Ours has an O2 PAYG sim in it... as long as it sends a text every 6 months its active, and i reckon i put a fiver into it every 6 months so a tenner for the year is what it costs to keep it up and running.

Only downside is that the HE101 SMS base unit has to be sent to the manufacturer in the UK for programming when you buy it first for an irish sim card to work in it as it is set to seeing 0044 int codes from UK mobiles (or something like that), but this is a free service by Bryon UK on request and sent back free to you. Only costs your outgoing reg post charge to them.

System is good, i can text "heating on for 1 hour" or "heating on till 6pm" or "sittingroom corner light on for 4 hrs at 9pm" or whatever tag i have created for the individual light modules (which look like small grey plug in timers that you plug the light plug into and then plug them into the wall socket) and it sends back a text to you confirm it got your text (you can turn this confirm text back to you off too to stop needless wasting of bases sim credit if you wish). You set what mobile numbers it should respond to only so it stops unrecognised numbers from turning on your heating etc. too.

One downside of the gsm network way of things that i have experienced is that if it is a busy time like new years eve or christmas day... your text will be very delayed getting to the sms base to actually turn on/off whatever you wish and another is that mobile network time setting can be off sometimes, and the base gets its time setting from the mobile network so if you say "heat on at 6pm for two hours" it might not necessarily come on when you want it too. But these are small problems.

Other boardies on here are right... the climote from electric ireland is a good little gadget, but its a rip off from electric ireland as the sign up is long and the yearly running costs are way above what they would be if you supplied your own sim and credit.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise you could keep a sim active so cheaply, I had assumed I was looking at 60ish a year. I'll have to look into a GSM unit of some description

Advertisement