Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General ongoing weather discussion thread (Warning: images)

Options
  • 23-07-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd make this now that the official heatwave threads are closed (*salutes*), as they were being used for ongoing day-to-day climate and weather discussion for the last couple of weeks.
    How're things looking for everyone going forward? I'm in Sandycove / Dun Laoghaire and I'm still roasting here, a lot more cloud around but really not noticing a massive difference yet.

Today's charts from Met Eireann:
    ECwJSm4.png

Tomorrow's:
    nQKkGWi.png

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but on tomorrow's charts if you look at the depression's circulation, there could be a very large gap in the cloud cover despite the low pressure after a couple of days?

Also, for the ethical among us: how much rain is going to be needed to stave off drought disaster before we can start hoping for another dry spell with a clear conscience, knowing that by our hopes we're not shafting farmers, water supplies, animals, forests etc? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Parts of Dublin in danger of going 22 days without rain unless some of those showers that the rest of the country are getting head this way soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Parts of Dublin in danger of going 22 days without rain unless some of those showers that the rest of the country are getting head this way soon.

Just drove through a heavy shower between D15 & D11.

glossy wrote: »
    Just drove through a heavy shower between D15 & D11.

Yeah I can see a few about but as of 4pm casement & Dublin airport have still recorded 0mm today whereas Phoenix Park is up to 1.5mm which would tie in with where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

FI alert. 12Z GFS ends with the Azores high making a return trip?

9Umc3Wg.png

Where there's FI, there's hope. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This seems to be the year where you can actually believe in FI speculations. The climatology of July-August correlation is on your side for the chances of a significant warm spell in August. It doesn't always work that way but the chances are about three to one that a warm July will be followed by a warm August. Also, this developing near-normal interruption looks rather shallow and some in the east may not really feel that much difference, certainly the west will be considerably cooler but this is partly down to the change in wind direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I must say here on the Atlantic coast in mayo it is markedly cooler tonight. We had heavy rain last night, and on and off all morning and afternoon. The humidity is still there but it is easier to handle with the low temp.

Must admit to feeling upbeat reading your post MTC and looking at those gorgeous charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I'm in greystones, co Wicklow. Got windows open and still sweating at 1040pm. Been very humid all day, didn't see any rain but looked like light drops on car this morning. Sun broke through early afternoon and it seems to have been as hot as recent days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Jimjay wrote: »
    I'm in greystones, co Wicklow. Got windows open and still sweating at 1040pm. Been very humid all day, didn't see any rain but looked like light drops on car this morning. Sun broke through early afternoon and it seems to have been as hot as recent days.
    A little south of Greystones and it was the 3rd warmest day of the month, max of 23.5C. No rain.
    4.7mm past 31 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still warm here in the North East and no rain today, it tried earlier, clouds were very dark but nothing much fell out of it, i nearly wished it had, cos i felt embarrassed for the little drops that fell. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Was hand shearing sheep here in the West this evening and I hardly broke a sweat, so it's a lot more comfortable working weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the west is a few degrees cooler than the east today and similar over next few days. Still very muggy here and another warm night to contend with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think the west is a few degrees cooler than the east today and similar over next few days. Still very muggy here and another warm night to contend with.

yeah got 24c here yesterday in all day sun.
    No rain for a month in Arklow now and last night it was 17c at midnight.
    That's warmer at night than at day last year.
    Last Saturday at midnight it was 21c ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Was hand shearing sheep here in the West this evening and I hardly broke a sweat, so it's a lot more comfortable working weather.
    :eek: Has electricity not arrived with you yet :pac:
    Actually my daughter hand sheared one, just the one mind you :)

Min past 2 nights 15C which are the 2 warmest nights of year. During the previous 2 weeks mins were generally dropping to 10//11C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Mothman wrote: »

Min past 2 nights 15C which are the 2 warmest nights of year. During the previous 2 weeks mins were generally dropping to 10//11C

Have you a spare room up there? No night,this past week here has gone below 15.
    Sat night into Sunday min was 16 point something and as you know,I'm very rural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Mothman wrote: »

It has but when you're out on the hill shearing it's more trouble than benefit bringing generators, leads, yadda, yadda.

It's been raining here now since just before 8am, putting down a lot of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I'm closely watching that rain band today. I hope it will deliver some moisture to the east coast which looks increasingly at risk of not copping significant drought relief from the current set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Also, this developing near-normal interruption looks rather shallow and some in the east may not really feel that much difference, certainly the west will be considerably cooler but this is partly down to the change in wind direction.

That was one of my reasons for making the thread, I went into the heatwave thread to point out that Sandycove, Dublin has seen almost no noticeable change except for more cloud and a bit of drizzle. Still feels incredibly warm by normal standards, maybe cooler at night time than it has been, but the supposed "end of the heatwave" hasn't really hit home if you're purely talking about daytime temperature, and Met Eireann's charts at least show the current depression as having a lot of gaps in its cloud cover meaning there should be a good bit of sunshine breaking through as it rotates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I'm closely watching that rain band today. I hope it will deliver some moisture to the east coast which looks increasingly at risk of not copping significant drought relief from the current set up.

I was down at the seafront earlier today and the amount of dead grass is absolutely astonishing - Newtownsmith "green" looks like the floor of a barn, covered in hay and straw, with only the odd tuft still alive.
    Bit surprised, would have thought grass would be more resilient! Wonder how long it'll take to reproduce enough to cover the dead patches once the rain gets going again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Same in Bray. Yesterday felt the hottest of the whole period to me tbh. Maybe it was higher humidity and/or less cooling sea breeze but standing at a door fiddling with a lock and the radiant heat of the sun on my back felt hotter than I have felt all July. Cloudy spells today and about 10 minutes of drizzle 2 hours ago has been our drought relief:D

Agree with above, if you take casement for example from June 1st to July 23rd (53 days) that station has had 41 days with less than 1mm of rain along with 20 plus days in July with max temps above 20 degrees currently 21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister was supposed to fly home from England yesterday but they cancelled the trains in Preston coz of the weather yesterday so she is stranded there until Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still no rain here, now i know all of meath has'nt escaped but us here in the north east part has'nt had a drop worth talking about, except a few spots yesterday but thats been about it, it was dry, cloudy-ish but still had a fair bit of sun today.

Still no rain here, now i know all of meath has'nt escaped but us here in the north east part has'nt had a drop worth talking about, except a few spots yesterday but thats been about it, it was dry, cloudy-ish but still had a fair bit of sun today.

I'm up around Kells this evening and medium sized trees are starting to die up around the town. No relief yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I'm up around Kells this evening and medium sized trees are starting to die up around the town. No relief yet.

How's your relief for you now?

I live in Ashbourne and tonight is the first proper rain we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Have to love the GEM this morning.

JTDoHdq.png
    u5I5Rq5.png

Have to love the GEM this morning.

JTDoHdq.png
    u5I5Rq5.png

Give us another 40mm of rain then let it roll

How's your relief for you now?

I live in Ashbourne and tonight is the first proper rain we've had.

The ground looked happier this morning certainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

So hows it looking for the bank holiday weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever about the fall back in temps (though we got a decent 23 yesterday) the humidity certainly has not relented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So hows it looking for the bank holiday weekend?

Currently its looking similar to the last few days, maybe a few degrees cooler with showers less intense, but 7/8 days time is still FI. From about Tuesday on you will see a more definite picture

Advertisement