Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign Part 2

Options
  • 11-07-2013 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As promised we're kicking off the discussion again here.

Following on from the first thread, we've reviewed all feedback and are going to be implementing the following changes on top of the changes we made earlier in the week:
    • The tab layout will be changed; Trending is moving from its current spot to the left of Thanks so it will be Latest | My Forums | My Threads | Trending | Thanks
    • We're adding an option to the User CP to allow you to set a default tab of your preference; at the moment it will load 'Latest ' by default
    • Forum name is moving from under the thread title to just in front of the thread title and we will also be reducing the padding on the top and bottom of each row slightly
    • To help differentiate between the rows we are going to add a background colour to every second row.
    • Pagination has been added to the top of the thread list to make navigating easier.
    All of these changes will be deployed tomorrow morning. As usual, all constructive feedback is appreciated and we'd be obliged if you could report bugs in Site Dev.

Please remember that whilst we greatly appreciate and review all feedback, simply saying "I hate it" or "Change it back" are not constructive posts. Any abusive posts will be removed.

We clarified a lot of points in the previous thread (for example: we won't be moving back to the old homepage, we have not gained any addition ad revenue from this change etc. ) so please don't repeat these issues here.

Thanks again for your input everyone.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hi folks,

As promised we're kicking off the discussion again here.

Following on from the first thread, we've reviewed all feedback and are going to be implementing the following changes on top of the changes we made earlier in the week:
    • The tab layout will be changed; Trending is moving from its current spot to the left of Thanks so it will be Latest | My Forums | My Threads | Trending | Thanks
    • We're adding an option to the User CP to allow you to set a default tab of your preference; at the moment it will load 'Latest ' by default
    • Forum name is moving from under the thread title to just in front of the thread title and we will also be reducing the padding on the top and bottom of each row slightly
    • To help differentiate between the rows we are going to add a background colour to every second row.
    • Pagination has been added to the top of the thread list to make navigating easier.
    All of these changes will be deployed tomorrow morning. As usual, all constructive feedback is appreciated and we'd be obliged if you could report bugs in Site Dev.

Please remember that whilst we greatly appreciate and review all feedback, simply saying "I hate it" or "Change it back" are not constructive posts. Any abusive posts will be removed.

We clarified a lot of points in the previous thread (for example: we won't be moving back to the old homepage, we have not gained any addition ad revenue from this change etc. ) so please don't repeat these issues here.

Thanks again for your input everyone.

Thank you for listening to us bunch of ingrates.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Would you consider condensing the rows a bit? I think they could stand to lose 5-10 pixels of empty space top and bottom. Fit more rows per page, makes skimming through for information easier. The space between items right now is something I find gets in the way of finding info.

Glad you'll be adding a background colour to make them stand out. Just make sure it looks ok in the black skin and we won't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What will the thread count be on the home page?
    Will there still be a "thanks" count at the end of the thread name and forum location?

Cheers for listening to the feedback.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sarky wrote: »
    Would you consider condensing the rows a bit? I think they could stand to lose 5-10 pixels of empty space top and bottom.
    *cough*
    Forum name is moving from under the thread title to just in front of the thread title and we will also be reducing the padding on the top and bottom of each row slightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Sarky wrote: »
    Would you consider condensing the rows a bit? I think they could stand to lose 5-10 pixels of empty space top and bottom. Fit more rows per page, makes skimming through for information easier. The space between items right now is something I find gets in the way of finding info.

We are going to reduce the padding, by how much exactly I'm not sure so I'll see if I can find out.

Edit: Derp, Dades got there before me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for the update Nicola, and to Danny, Ronan and co. for implementing the changes. I was critical of the new layout on the other thread, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the hard work the dev guys put into the re-design. Some of the abuse they got was completely over the top and completely uncalled for. Of course as a dinosaur who refuses to leave the vBulletin default skin until it finally vanishes I do reserve the right to gripe about v2 as well if there's something I don't like. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That list of updates is basically every issue I had with the new layout solved. Will reserve full judgement until it's rolled out obviously, but thanks to the team for implementing those suggestions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

What's the max number of threads I'll be able to see in one screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

AltAccount wrote: »
    What's the max number of threads I'll be able to see in one screen?

It'll likely look something like this http://i.imgur.com/bWMqzR3.png

That's probably the most it can be compressed while keeping 2 lines of info per thread. Increases it from 9 to 10.

That'd be disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will certainly improve things

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

That'd be disappointing

Since the new layout uses 2 lines for the thread info it'd be impossible to fit the same amount in the same screen space.

Here's a suggestion for the future though... since one of the main complaints with the new layout is the lower amount of threads therefore requiring more scrolling/clicking, maybe merge the menu bars into a single one to make space for more threads?

Here's what I mean http://i.imgur.com/Z5DPsb3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dades wrote: »
    *cough*

Quiet, you. It's hot and I was trying to buy all the things in the Steam sale at the time.

My user experience :

Click on My Forums tab
    Scroll to bottom, not finding anything interesting
    Click to page 2
    Scroll back up because the page has held at the bottom position
    See a few threads I like the look of
    Click the first one, read it
    Go "Back" on my browser
    Find I'm looking at page 1 again
    Click to page 2 (again), choose next thread
    Repeat frustrating cycle of being put back to page 1 until I run out of threads to read on pages 2/3
    Be surprised that I've reached the end of the threads so soon, being offered only 3 short pages of posts
    Continue being frustrated
    Fire up Feedly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Use the middle button on the mouse or ctrl + right click to open to open the thread in a new tab. Problem solved.

There's also more threads on the three pages then there was on the old layout.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Use the middle button on the mouse or ctrl + right click to open to open the thread in a new tab. Problem solved.

There's also more threads on the three pages then there was on the old layout.

Why create a design that inherently requires me to use a workaround?

A main forum page lets me go hundreds of pages deep, and it's often really handy/interesting.
    Touch lets me go 100+ pages deep on MyThreads or MyForums.
    Why wouldn't the redesign at least give 10 pages deep?
    Probably because they're loading all those pages at once, so the very thing that creates the need for a workaround also limits my user experience.

I'm not saying it's insurmountable or a dealbreaker, but it is causing friction and sending me away from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'd still love to get the number of posts in a thread in brackets beside the thread title rather than across to the right (where I genuinely struggle to match the number and title with each other)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Why create a design that inherently requires me to use a workaround?

A main forum page lets me go hundreds of pages deep, and it's often really handy/interesting.
    Touch lets me go 100+ pages deep on MyThreads or MyForums.
    Why wouldn't the redesign at least give 10 pages deep?
    Probably because they're loading all those pages at once, so the very thing that creates the need for a workaround also limits my user experience.

I'm not saying it's insurmountable or a dealbreaker, but it is causing friction and sending me away from the site.

Opening pages in a new tab isn't really a workaround. It's just a far better way of browsing.

How did the old page let you go 100s of threads deep?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What time will the changes be kicked into life today? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So no category filters then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

mike65 wrote: »
    So no category filters then?

Not in this iteration unfortunately, we want to do it right. It's top of the list for the next round of updates, aiming for early next week.

What time will the changes be kicked into life today? :)

They have literally just gone live in the last few minutes :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They have literally just gone live in the last few minutes :)

So I see! Great timing on my part, as usual. :pac:

Looks great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Why did you take http://www.boards.ie/? away from us? that is just mean. I was happily using old design while all this redesign nonsense is going on.

sKeith wrote: »
    Why did you take http://www.boards.ie/? away from us? that is just mean. I was happily using old design while all this redesign nonsense is going on.

As we stated numerous times in the previous thread, that was going to be removed once we could.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would still prefer the forum name in a separate column. The redesign is better, but it runs all in one line and isn't easy to distinguish.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Just in case anyone is wondering, the option to Set a default homepage tab can be found in UserCP / Edit Options / Homepage Options.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like that the forum name comes first but the left hand side of the page looks crowded and messy, especially when you compare it to the massive amount of white space between the thread title and post count.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't really use the homepage at all, I really just open any Boards page and use the "My Forums" dropdown.

That said having had a mooch through it I find it difficult to see where the Forum name ends and the thread title begins. The text for both is the same colour, wight, size etc. Possibly more padding could alleviate this.

5iLBx8.png

Also, I still there's a lot of white space (okay, dark space). So much so that I wonder if you couldn't just keep all the info on one line and truncate long thread titles. Would be interesting to see how that might look - perhaps it was tested and proved to be too much of a wall of text.

I do like the overall look, though. Very clean and sharp. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can you unbold the Forum name
    After Hours | Trivial things that annoy you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement