Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aviva Car insurance Renewal 450% increase.

Options
  • 02-05-2013 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wifes insurance renewal arrived today, 33yrs old, full no claims, 0 points, with Aviva for 8yrs.
    Last years policy on 1.6tdci 08 focus was 410e.

Renewal arrived this morning for 1848.65......!!! An increase of 450%!!

Thinking there was a clerical error or whatever i called only to be told the increase was due to two things.
    1. New legislation to bring lady drivers premiums up in line with mens
    2. Aviva have had a high volume of claims in the past 12mths and this is reflected in peoples new quotation.

How can this be right/legal etc......
    My 19yr old niece who has 1st provisional and has never started a car never mind driven one got a quote for 1700 on a 06 fiesta! from aviva!!

They told me they cannot do any better than that price.

Really scratching my head with this one! And am awaiting a call back from their complaints dept.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

29 year old male with max NCB, 8 years driving experience and no points also driving a Ford Focus. €352 with 123.ie.

Hibernian tried the same with me a few years ago and I vowed next to go back to them, and I never will. I suggest you do the same...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Start making price comparisons. Tesco have an online one, add in a club card number for 10% more off. Make sure to add yourself to her policy if you also have a car. AA, 123.ie, chill insurance, axa, britton insurance, nononsense, everyone you can think of. If you have home insurance, see do they also do car insurance. Finally, local brokers?

Good luck, that's a shocking increase. Definitely no pending claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah we have many similar experiences here, me included.
    Shop around, loyalty towards insurance companies doesn't pay.

I just jumped to another company and could get a similar price to my old one.

Try putting her details in Aviva website for a new quote too, sometimes that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Just got a quote from 123.ie for 388e

Aviva will never get my custom again thats for sure. Sad country.

And no pending claims and i was on her policy as named with my own car also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My wife - 29 years old with 5 years NCB got renewal with Aviva this January.
    Last premium was 340, this year premium was 280.
    She had an accident last year out of her fault which however didn't reduce her NCB as it was in my car and my policy suffered.

So as you can see, looks like Aviva premium come completely random.

BTW - Increase from 410 to 1848 is not by 450% but 350%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thats got to be a mistake on their part, somewhere in their system. Even with an open claim that would still be a massive increase.

Just goes to show why you should always shop around for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gorfield wrote: »
    Just got a quote from 123.ie for 388e

Aviva will never get my custom again thats for sure. Sad country.

And no pending claims and i was on her policy as named with my own car also.

Just check its somewhat like for like. Granted €1800 is lunacy but there is a tenancy in this country for insurance companies to strip back their cover to the bare minimum with hefty excess's. Its not a trend I like as its similar to the way some States in America operate i.e. Cheap insurance but huge liability on the customer side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

They must think that people are really slow off the mark that they would just continue to pay that after a 450% increase.

Monumental clowns, all they had to do was give you more or less the same quote or even raise it by €100 and you'd probably have stuck with them.

Lost business is lost business at the end of the day.

CiniO wrote: »
    She had an accident last year out of her fault which however didn't reduce her NCB as it was in my car and my policy suffered.

414 X 450% = 1863

414 X 450% = 1863

Increase is 1449, which is a 350% increase. Not that it matters to the thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

There is something seriously wrong with the renewal quote that your wife received (despite whatever rubbish explanation you were given on the phone). When the complaints section get back to you ask for a full breakdown of this years premium and a full breakdown of last years premium, this at least should show where the increase has occurred. If the complaints department don't get back to you today drop them a line (to their Head Office address) explain your shock at the premium quoted and ask them to treat the letter as an official complaint. They have to then reply to this within two weeks, it may not solve your problem and I understand fully why you would not wish to deal with them again, but it is no harm to rattle their cage and let them know not to treat people like fools.

414 X 450% = 1863

Little hint.
    If you had your premium increased by 100% how much would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

djimi wrote: »
    Thats got to be a mistake on their part, somewhere in their system. Even with an open claim that would still be a massive increase.
    For me Axa tried to up the cost by a similar amount.
    Last year €350, this year €530. I rang and asked and they gave me a load of toss but the system was "working correctly".
    Needless to say I went elsewhere and stayed below 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First mistake is being with Insurance company for 8 years.

There not in the business of 'looking after you' despite their propaganda.

Legislation gives them a cushy number where are all forced to insure our selfs in vehicles rather than the vehicle.

I shop around religiously every year come renewal time and bear no affiliation to any provider or broker.

They can jump for my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

CiniO wrote: »

What did she reply when asked 'did you have any accidents'

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/assumptions-data-protection/#assumptions
    You (and your named drivers)
    Have had no claims made against you in the last three years, nor been involved in any accident or loss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭Tow

Renewal arrived this morning for 1848.65......!!! An increase of 450%!!

That looks as if they finally want to pull out of Ireland. I renewed mine last week for just over €320 with 123/RSA, 1.6L, 06, Full Comp with full step back protection etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

rocky wrote: »

She wasn't asked anything as her insurance is being renewed automatically for the last few years.

Anyway - after the accident she rang them and informed she had accident, and they added something like 30 quid to the premium for one year. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To the OP, get a supervising member of staff in sales/renewals on the phone, ask them with much anger to justify the quote, they eventually will come down to something like what she paid last year as a 'favour', then tell them to stuff it.

123.ie all the way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭jenjoeful

I was just on the phone to aviva.
    I joined aviva when i was 18 and have the following discounts:

10 lessons with aviva
    ignition test completed with highest grade
    health insurance (5%)
    partner on my insurance
    4 years no claims
    4 years full licence.

i've a really old car worth very little.
    So last year my insurance was 345, this year they are quoting me 622..... now i get that female drives are up, but almost double is obscene.
    I was given the excuse that it is due to an increase in Aviva's policys.
    But double is ridiculous, I talked them down to 560, but they won't budge on that.

What's the story?
    They used to have an office on Baggot street but no longer do, is there one anywhere else I can go into?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Never been a fan of Aviva. In the same week they laid off hundreds of Irish workers and moved the jobs abroad, they spent huge money sponsoring Landsdowne Road.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    For me Axa tried to up the cost by a similar amount.
    Last year €350, this year €530. I rang and asked and they gave me a load of toss but the system was "working correctly".
    Needless to say I went elsewhere and stayed below 350.

Bit of a difference though between a €180 increase and a €1440 increase! In your case Id say its legitimate, but in the case of the OP it looks like a system error and whoever they spoke to over the phone was just reading from a script about increases and didnt actually have the cop on to look at the figures in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I just used the OPs wifes basic details (included an admin job and a mid-range Focus) in an Aviva online quote , I did it for two addresses at either end of the risk spectrum

For Blanchardstown I got €693, for Dalkey €495. You can estimate the difference up or down on that for where you actually live.

Its clear the quote and follow up you got though are utter utter b******t. Walk away from them and tell everyone you know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

28 year old male, 4 years ncb, E252 for TPFT on 2.5L 325 m sport last year, E298 this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

My renewal was in April and I was dreading it. I'd heard the stories of renewals increasing with the new legislation. However, I was shocked that my renewal with Aviva was less (~€75 including a few optional extras) than last year. I know it doesn't seem like much but I was fully prepared for it to go up a good bit. Rang around and everywhere else was about €150 more without the optional benefits.

Renewals can really be hit and miss. I hope it's just a clerical error OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

If the EU ruling means they can't discriminate, why has male insurance not come down at the same rate as the increase to female??

So the insurance companies have taken the ruling to mean they can just scalp people more??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    28 year old male, 4 years ncb, E252 for TPFT on 2.5L 325 m sport last year, E298 this year :)

With who?

To Whom it may (better) concern.

My wife (client no xxxxxxxxx) received her renewal this morning for the above policy.

Last years renewal was €440, the renewal received today was for €1885.42, an increase of 350%.

She's 33, full ncb, 0 penalty points.

I called for an explanation and was told the increase was due to legislation to bring women drivers policies up to the same rates as males and was also due to high numbers of claims aviva received this year. My wife has since received a quote for €388 from another company.

I'm sorry but that's horse manure for an explanation to a customer that's been loyal for 7 years.

I am looking for an answer to my query immediately. I have contacted Today FM and Ray D'arcy show want full details of the situation as they have a slot on this very subject on Tuesday.

Please treat this letter as a complaint. And I expect a phonecall today

Sent this to aviva customer care department. Fully expect to hear nothing.

I'm sorry but that's horse manure for an explanation to a customer that's been loyal for 7 years.

I hope you didnt actually put that into an official complaint letter...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I am looking for an answer to my query immediately. I have contacted Today FM and Ray D'arcy show want full details of the situation as they have a slot on this very subject on Tuesday.
    If they put it on the radio every time someone received a silly insurance quote there'd be no room for the ads. Aviva are perfectly entitled to quote whatever they like - if you don't like it then shop around.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83227455&postcount=2

Gnomes, pure and simple.

An industry that is obsessed with new business that can't seem to realise that it's easier to retain business than get new business if you act appropriately.

Advertisement