Bulling Heifers - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-04-2013, 22:51   #16
quadboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaval View Post
2 ways to do it.
1. Day 1 and day 11 estrumate. Day 11 scratch cards or kmar and ai as bulling once a day.

2. Day 1 scratch card/kmar and ai as bulling. Day 7 estrumate remainder and ai as bulling

Option 1 takes 4-5 days
Option 2 takes 10-13 days

With each option you remove as ai'd taking pressure off your small area of ground.

This means that all your repeats should come at the same time so return them to this paddock at about 18 days after ai and scratch card and ai.
Could I just estrumate and stick scratchcards on them on day one and estrumate anything not bulled again a week after
Advertisement
23-04-2013, 23:05   #17
delaval
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadboy View Post
Could I just estrumate and stick scratchcards on them on day one and estrumate anything not bulled again a week after
Yes, you will get a lot bulling on days 2 and 3 then est remainder on day7. Don't be disappointed if they all don't come as they may be prepubesent
30-04-2013, 16:13   #18
quadboy
Closed Account

Planning on estrumating the heifers this week, was wondering is early feb too early for heifers to be calving,wouldn't buyers prefer an early calving heifer.
30-04-2013, 21:03   #19
doyleshill

Do you AI as bulling if they are showing no sign of heat
30-04-2013, 21:31   #20
dar31

Quote:
2 ways to do it.
1. Day 1 and day 11 estrumate. Day 11 scratch cards or kmar and ai as bulling once a day.

2. Day 1 scratch card/kmar and ai as bulling. Day 7 estrumate remainder and ai as bulling

Option 1 takes 4-5 days
Option 2 takes 10-13 days

With each option you remove as ai'd taking pressure off your small area of ground.

This means that all your repeats should come at the same time so return them to this paddock at about 18 days after ai and scratch card and ai.
in option 2 is there any importance to estrumate on day 7 or can it be at anytime during the first round of breeding

i ask as this is my first year ai'ing heifers, and there arent as many as i would like around, so was going to sync once then let the bulls in, at the moment im 10 days into breeding, and about 45% of them have been served
Advertisement
30-04-2013, 22:15   #21
quadboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleshill View Post
Do you AI as bulling if they are showing no sign of heat
How can you ai them if they arnt showing signs of bulling
30-04-2013, 22:34   #22
Bizzum
Closed Account

Quote:
Get them drunk. :-)

Ah no, it's called fixed time insemination.
Thanks from:
30-04-2013, 22:40   #23
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
Blind luck, and just AI them at a fixed time following injection (I can't remember the timeframe, maybe 48hours?).

But unless your heat detection methods are brutal, having to resort to this seems abit counter productive as the heifer could well just either show very poor signs of being in heat, or have problems inside her, and would be likely to continue to have problems down the road. We must have spend a fortune on afew cows last year trying to get them back in calf, coils/estrumate/recepitol, eventually got them in calf but on hindsight would have been way less hassle to have just flogged them on while the cull cow prices were good.
30-04-2013, 22:40   #24
quadboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzum View Post
Get them drunk. :-)

Ah no, it's called fixed time insemination.
Oh right never heard of it
Advertisement
30-04-2013, 22:40   #25
sh1tstirrer

Quote:
Fixed time AI it's called. AI them twice 72 and 96 hours after second injection. I know a farmer that did it and only two went incalf out of twenty.
30-04-2013, 22:46   #26
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1tstirrer View Post
Fixed time AI it's called. AI them twice 72 and 96 hours after second injection. I know a farmer that did it and only two went incalf out of twenty.
Owch, that must have been an expensive exercise, surely it's only be worth while if you did yourown AI, and had a load of cheap straws.
30-04-2013, 22:47   #27
delaval
Closed Account

Quote:
Planning on estrumating the heifers this week, was wondering is early feb too early for heifers to be calving,wouldn't buyers prefer an early calving heifer.
Early Feb is perfect time for heifers. If I were buying I would only buy Feb calving
30-04-2013, 22:49   #28
delaval
Closed Account

Fixed time Ai only about 20% effective.
30-04-2013, 22:54   #29
quadboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Fixed time Ai only about 20% effective.
I hope fixed time Ai is different to estrumating
30-04-2013, 22:57   #30
sh1tstirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay View Post
Owch, that must have been an expensive exercise, surely it's only be worth while if you did yourown AI, and had a load of cheap straws.
What made it even more expensive for him is that he had to AI the heifers that didn't go incalf a third time and later in the season as he presumed that they were all incalf until he scanned them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion