Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Y300- NOW Available in Metor

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

This phone is now available online at Meteor. FOR €129.99

With a 5 megapixel camera, dual core processor and 4 inch touchscreen this handset represents excellent value.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLUcFBmUM8Qux6SfVGpSB32aNbxu61nXOMRTABOpTog64Zem6q
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-y300/?purchase_type=port

Specification
    Display Screen : 4.0-inch (800 x 480 pixels) capacitive touchscreen IPS display
    Processor : 1GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8225 processor
    Operating System : Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
    Camera : 5MP auto focus camera with LED Flash, 0.3MP front-facing camera
    Connectivity Options : 3G HSDPA 7.2Mbps, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, GPS / aGPS
    Memory : 512MB RAM, 4GB internal memory (2.4GB user memory), 32GB expandable memory
    Battery Capacity : 1730-mAh battery with up to 5.3 hours of talk time and up to 320 hours standby

Is this a step up from the G330. Hoping to get this for the weekend, will need to unlock it, any codes available yet.

512Gb ram is poor, was hoping for 1GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Could you not just root it and start playing with the SIM unlock protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Is this phone only going to be available on Meteor, or will Vodafone be selling it also??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

512 mb RAM is totally insufficient. My first Android the HTC Desire had this and totally limited the number of apps I could install until I put on a custom rom with ext sd capability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

512 mb RAM is totally insufficient. My first Android the HTC Desire had this and totally limited the number of apps I could install until I put on a custom rom with ext sd capability
    Perhaps I'm missing something - are you confusing RAM with internal storage?

This has 4GB internal memory (2.4GB user memory) before needing to offload stuff to external storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I heard the battery is dire ,
    512 ram what do expect for Sub 150e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Gatling wrote: »
    I heard the battery is dire

Larger capacity than the G300 so that's odd to hear. [Link] :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Gonna pick up one of these from meteor and hope to be able to unlock it for use on the new €35 tesco sim only unlimited deal

Fnz wrote: »
    Larger capacity than the G300 so that's odd to hear. [Link] :confused:

I was in a meteor shop 3 came back with battery's lasting
    less than a few hours ,I'm considering picking one up but might hold off for a bit longer till I hear more on them

Were they properly pre charged ?

Were they properly pre charged ?

Not sure being honest they were a few days old ,

I was looking for a battery before mine explodes ,that's wasn't in stock anywhere hence been there when all 3 phones came back to the shop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Gatling wrote: »
    I heard the battery is dire ,
    512 ram what do expect for Sub 150e

I'm using a Sony j at the moment which also has 512 mb ram and its crap. If you have the browser open and then go to contracts it will take 5 seconds to load them. But the battery lasts 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Is it basically a g330 with firmware update (battery hungry one) and slightly bigger battery?

Hope they fix the firmware and release it for the g330

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Gonna pick up one of these from meteor and hope to be able to unlock it for use on the new €35 tesco sim only unlimited deal
    Let me know how you get on, I would do that myself if it works ok.

Is this just an online offer or can i walk into a store and get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

vin33 wrote: »
    I'm using a Sony j at the moment which also has 512 mb ram and its crap. If you have the browser open and then go to contracts it will take 5 seconds to load them. But the battery lasts 2 days.

The g300 has 512 and it runs ICS fine, also JB..

The ZTE Blade, and most phones before this year have 512, also most China, unless you pay extra.

Android memory management is good and can be improved with V6 Supercharger.

People need to be proactive with Android, you need to get to know the OS to get best results.

Picked mine up, does it need a big initial charge before i power it up ?

I remember phones i had years ago needed 8 hours of a charge before use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd probably use it until the existing battery charge runs out, then fully charge it until its at 100%. Not sure if this is correct procedure.

BTW: Initial impressions on the Y300?

It seems pretty good, i find it abit fiddly to use as it's my first smartphone but the sound and features are impressive.

I have no idea how apps and all that stuff works so will look into that. Camaera is ok but im not overly impressed alot of red eye and blurring when someone is moving (tried to get a picture of my puppy that never stands still haha :) When it's focused and held still it's impressive though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I'd probably use it until the existing battery charge runs out, then fully charge it until its at 100%. Not sure if this is correct procedure.

BTW: Initial impressions on the Y300?

That is what I would do but do not allow it to fully discharge, like I would not go below 10/15% before connecting.

There is no conditioning required with modern Li-ion batteries, but the phone itself will have stats which it uses to figure out battery levels and it may require a few full cycles before it reports correctly.

To preserve battery it is best to turn of sync until you run an app, like Gmail or Facebook or G+... Sync manually.

Also, use 2G until you actually need 3G.

Allow wifi to turn off when phone is on screen off and at night, unless you have a reason to keep it on!

Turn off GPS and Bluetooth until you need them.

Deep sleep is good!!!

Keep screen brightness as low as is comfortable.

CPU Spy is a good app to check this.

Also Better WiFi OnOff if your phone simply will not go into deep sleep mode.

I have given links before to XDA free versions of these apps.

Giyf!!

If you need further information, just ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I was enquiring about good budget phones in carphone warehouse on Sunday and the guy in there said the huawei phones are great and they never have any problems with them. They only stock the g300 in there, 2 models behind the y300, and he said if you can get the y300 for 129 to snap it up. They don't sell it in the meteor store either do they? I think it's just an online offer

• Advertisement

i got mine in a meteor store

i got mine in a meteor store

Oh ok must have a look in there next time

Ok I am definitely going to get this phone or the huawei g510 from vodafone, and then get it unlocked for 5 euro. The thing is, which one is better? They both cost 129 (g510 is 149 but 129 if you switch to vodafone from another network), the g510 has a 4.5 inch screen compared to 4 on the y300 and has a 1.2Ghz processor compared to 1Ghz on the y300. It'd be less hassle for me to just go into meteorm get the y300 and thats it but I'd go through the extra effort of using a spare sim card to change to vodafone on, get that one unlocked and put in my meteor sim if it was worth the hassle.

Opinions?

Gonna unlock my phone tomorrow and switch to 3 15gb a month 20e top up pay as you go dealio i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Gonna unlock my phone tomorrow and switch to 3 15gb a month 20e top up pay as you go dealio i think

Their Sim Only Classic Flex Max plan is another great option if you not so much of a texter. Its €20.33 a month and includes 350 flexi units.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Their Sim Only Classic Flex Max plan is another great option if you not so much of a texter. Its €20.33 a month and includes 350 flexi units.
    And if you install Cabbage, you can send your 333 free webtexts from the phone as well:)

I'd switch from meteor purely due to my awful coverage but everyone I text or call regularly is on meteor so it'll end up costing me more really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It seems pretty good, i find it abit fiddly to use as it's my first smartphone but the sound and features are impressive.

I have no idea how apps and all that stuff works so will look into that. Camaera is ok but im not overly impressed alot of red eye and blurring when someone is moving (tried to get a picture of my puppy that never stands still haha :) When it's focused and held still it's impressive though

See if theres a sports mode preset. Usually helps.

Meteor reception is also awful where i live, is an O2 mast about 2-3 miles from me so their reception is great, what network do 3 piggyback on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So anyone purchase this phone yet?

I've one coming during the week and I'm wondering if it's any good.
    If it's anything like the g300 then it will offer great value for money.
    G300 is an underrated phone.

Surprised to see the y300 ships with jellybean, should be interesting!

Advertisement