Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website default is Great Britain

Options
  • 01-02-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering does anyone know why when you go to either www.aerlingus.com or even aerlingus.ie are you directed to the UK default page with LHR as the home airport and prices in pounds.

I find it strange that our national flag carrier has the default home page directed to the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

sully2010 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering does anyone know why when you go to either www.aerlingus.com or even aerlingus.ie are you directed to the UK default page with LHR as the home airport and prices in pounds.

Check your PC and browser - it's likely that one of them has STG set as the default currency or UK as the default region.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Directs to the US site for me, with JFK as the home airport and currency in dollars.
    Same for .com and .ie version.
    No sign of anything UK based.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Where is the STG setting? I tried firefox and it directed me to the US site, explorer directed me to the GB site.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Mine defaults to Ireland. You can set it to the country you want at the top of the home page and the cookie remembers it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Chrome directed me to US website/IE8 to UK website .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Its a strange one though, when I go to sas.com, britishairways.com, aa.com or iberia.com im directed straight away to the Ireland section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Takes me to the GB site as well. Bugs the fcuk out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I find it strange that our national flag carrier has the default home page directed to the UK.

What would the heros of '16 say!?:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You set your home airport on first visit (per browser/machine from memory - I've LGW, no idea why as I'd long since moved back to Ireland when I got this laptop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Takes me to the USA oh my god how dare they!? Chill out

• Advertisement

Firefox sends me to the UK site. IE9 sends me to the Irish site.

I think it's to do with language settings. My Firefox is the UK English version, therefore it reports EN-GB. IE9 is using my Windows regional settings so loads the Irish site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karsini wrote: »
    I think it's to do with language settings. My Firefox is the UK English version, therefore it reports EN-GB. IE9 is using my Windows regional settings so loads the Irish site.

That could be at least some of the case - I get LHR on IE but this laptop is on UK settings as I bought it as a display model in Lisburn.

Still sure there's some way to set a home airport though, hence LGW on Chrome?

I'd say that explains why some Firefox users are getting the US site, because the default download from Mozilla is the US version in most cases. You have to specifically download the UK version.

I don't know why you're getting LGW though. If you open the site in Incognito mode does it still show LGW?

Nope, LHR in Incognito. I'm not logged in to my GC account either.

edit: they have a cookie called HomeAirport set, set to LGW.

MYOB wrote: »
    Nope, LHR in Incognito. I'm not logged in to my GC account either.

That would make me guess that it's picking up LGW from cookies maybe?

Edit: I see you got it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Where is the STG setting? I tried firefox and it directed me to the US site, explorer directed me to the GB site.

Cheers

STG as in Sterling

Mine is JFK

Those of you who are getting the US site in Firefox, check the value of general.useragent.locale in about:config. If it's en-US then you have the US English version of Firefox and that might explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Chrome directs me to US site with prices in USD but with Irish airports as the default

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've never had any bother with it,always directs me to the Irish site with the 3 airports as default. Using Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

this is so irratating - I type in aerlingus.ie and always get sent to the uk site on chrome. I delete my cookies automatically each day but surely the default should send you to the ie page with dublin as the default?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

How an organisation can run a complex airline and can't even provide a functioning website is beyond me. Even their app is DREADFUL. For a company who relies on web traffic so much, it's baffling.

pawrick wrote: »
    this is so irratating - I type in aerlingus.ie and always get sent to the uk site on chrome. I delete my cookies automatically each day but surely the default should send you to the ie page with dublin as the default?

What is your OS locale set to?
    keith16 wrote: »
    How an organisation can run a complex airline and can't even provide a functioning website is beyond me. Even their app is DREADFUL. For a company who relies on web traffic so much, it's baffling.

Its amongst the better airline sites I've used, to be honest. The app is pretty slow, mind, but at least it actually does something and is free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I got to the Irish website with euro as a default.

The website runs absolutely perfectly, and is one of the better airline websites around. People will just find anything to complain about.

Go complain about rynairs big ugly mess of a country list when you go to look for your airport, also the irritating captcha's and countless boxes they require you to tick to say you dont want some crappy suitcase/rent a car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I always get the .ie site too....not sure what I am doing right.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Corporate websites the world over are set to determine your location from cookies or locale setting etc, is this really thread worthy? Might be better suited moved to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

pawrick wrote: »
    HOW should it know?

Have you checked the locale on your system?
    Have you checked the default language on your system?
    Have you checked the language and location settings on your browser?

If you have Ireland/ Irish English set for all those above then fair enough.
    If you have set UK or UK English for ANY of those settings then you have created settings that Aer Lingus is intrepreting (rightly) to indicate you are interested in flights departing from the UK.
    Many dont see the difference between English-Ireland and English-UK but its a gigantic difference, not lingustically but the effects it creates down the line.

BTW, if you want to surf without creating a trail of cookies then use chrome and open a window in stealth, ignognito mode and that does the trick without needing to be deleting cookies daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ryanair also,defaults to the Uk.Explain that.Its supposedly an Irish airline that wants sterling more than euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

beachhead wrote: »
    Ryanair also,defaults to the Uk.Explain that.Its supposedly an Irish airline that wants sterling more than euro
    type in ryanair.ie and it should come up with all relevant to flights from Ireland etc.
    It does for me and I am on a computer with german windows and germany as the default locale and german-german (as opposed to austrian or swiss german) as the language

ryanair.com though directs me to the german website, most likely through looking at the settings (for german-german in germany) THAT I SET on the computer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This is not a fault of either Ryanair or Aer Lingus's website but of the browser as munchkin_utd said.

in Firefox go, Firefox>Options>Content>Languages and then make sure it is set to English/Ireland and remove any other languages leaving on English/Ireland as the selected choice.

in Internet Explorer go, tools (cogwheel symbol)>internet options>General>Languages and make sure it is set to English Ireland also.

in Chrome English Irish is not available as a Language option so these website will always default to the UK. Best use Firefox or Internet Explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Moved to Travel as its not Aviation or Aircraft related.

Advertisement