Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I complain to ASA about "road tax" in car ads?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I wonder what they do consider misleading then, the must have a very soft view of what does.

misleading people and advertising using the wrong term are very different and i can see why its not in their remit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ASAI Code: 2.1 Marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.

What's truthful about pretending that Motor Tax is actually "Road Tax"?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    ASAI Code: 2.1 Marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.

What's truthful about pretending that Motor Tax is actually "Road Tax"?

It is "truthful" in the sense that everyone understands it's motor tax that's being referred to. It would be "untruthful" if they said for example that it has a low road tax, where people understand it has a low motor tax, but where that wouldn't be the case, and the advertiser argued that "sure road tax doesn't exist, it was just a colloquial term for [whatever cryptic tax that no one heard about]". Quite far-fetched I concede, but that's the idea I believe. Their answer sounds fair enough to me I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

enas wrote: »
    It is "truthful" in the sense that everyone understands it's motor tax that's being referred to. It would be "untruthful" if they said for example that it has a low road tax, where people understand it has a low motor tax, but where that wouldn't be the case, and the advertiser argued that "sure road tax doesn't exist, it was just a colloquial term for [whatever cryptic tax that no one heard about]". Quite far-fetched I concede, but that's the idea I believe. Their answer sounds fair enough to me I have to say.

Oddly, they could truthfully claim that a vehicle has "no road tax", and be accused of misleading people! :pac:

everyone understands it's motor tax that's being referred to.

Why refer to it as "Road Tax" then?

• Advertisement

For the same reason so many people call Spock "Dr Spock" when he's actually "Mr Spock". It's just a common mistake, and one that has become ingrained in our language. This line of questioning leads nowhere, ask instead, how do we fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »

For the same reason so many people call Spock "Dr Spock" when he's actually "Mr Spock". It's just a common mistake, and one that has become ingrained in our language. This line of questioning leads nowhere, ask instead, how do we fix it?
    I passed a sign for "fast lane closed ahead" on the way home yesterday and despaired a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Idleater wrote: »
    I passed a sign for "fast lane closed ahead" on the way home yesterday and despaired a little.

LOL, went past that sign too, for the life of me I can't remember where it was (was it the south quays towards heuston?). But I remember thinking that boardsies would go mad about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Idleater wrote: »
    Who designed that sign you would think.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cienciano wrote: »

LOL, went past that sign too, for the life of me I can't remember where it was
    Just after st John's road, but it's a common sight nowadays

• Advertisement

Such a line of questioning might lead nowhere on Boards, but that is to be expected.

I would suggest that mistakenly referring to the paediatrician rather than to the Vulcan does not instil a sense of entitlement of any sort, whereas the notion of "Road Tax" leads more than a few motorists to believe that they have purchased superior privileges that give them all sorts of priorities over other road users.

Such a line of questioning might lead nowhere on Boards, but that is to be expected.

I would suggest that mistakenly referring to the paediatrician rather than to the Vulcan does not instil a sense of entitlement of any sort, whereas the notion of "Road Tax" leads more than a few motorists to believe that they have purchased superior privileges that give them all sorts of priorities over other road users.

Yes. But you posted it on boards. We are all agreed on that. You're preaching to the converted here. Let's move on to resolving the issue. Like the OP tried to.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

whereas the notion of "Road Tax" leads more than a few motorists to believe that they have purchased superior privileges that give them all sorts of priorities over other road users.
    Do you really think referring to it as "Motor Tax" will change their attitude? Really?? :confused:

Just spotted this on an AH thread, fwiw:

The cyclists can go and pay some road tax before they start complaining

Beasty wrote: »
    Do you really think referring to it as "Motor Tax" will change their attitude? Really?? :confused:

Compare:

The cyclists can go and pay some Motor Tax before they start complaining

And it goes on:

animaal wrote: »
    It's officially titled "Motor Tax", but road tax is a perfectly valid description for what it actually is - a tax for using the public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Things should be known as what they are, not what they are not. OP is right to complain.

Oddly, they could truthfully claim that a vehicle has "no road tax", and be accused of misleading people! :pac:

Yes, you put it in a much more illustrative way.
    And it goes on:

I fairness, it is "a tax for using the public roads", but to be complete, you have to say it's "a tax for using a motor vehicle on the public roads" (since just owning a car doesn't make you liable to the tax -- it's only if you intend to use it on the public roads).

About the wider issue. As others said, you're preaching to the converted here. However, let's just assume that motor tax was even abolished altogether. What would those people say? "cyclists start paying some insurance", "start getting some mandatory training", "stop going faster than cars in traffic queues", "spend hours looking for a parking spot and pay dearly for it", etc., the choice is there. It seems to me we're just fighting a symptom rather than a root cause with this road tax vs. motor tax issue. But that's just my opinion, and I do highly respect the OP for the actions he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Anyone in the business of flogging cars is better served by the misnomer "Road Tax".

"Road Tax" is just something you have to pay if you use the roads. It's inevitable, part of life ... like cold, dark, damp, windy days during an Irish ... summer.

"Motor Tax", OTOH, is more discriminating and hints at the possibility of alternative, un-taxed means of using the roads. Can't have that!

In reality, I doubt that many interested parties have actually sat down and made a conscious decision to eschew "Motor Tax" in favour of "Road Tax".

As already pointed out, the terms are interchangeable for many people. Even I used to be like that ... until I started reading Boards :D. Now I vigourously police my language, never allowing THAT phrase to escape my lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

well when you repeatedly scream at people correcting them when they say road tax, occasionally beating it into them, they may finally get it...

• Advertisement

Likewise, when you repeatedly use the term "road tax" as if it truly exists, or scream "pay some road tax" at people through your car window, you help to nurture the myth.

There's more to the "road tax" fantasy than the belief that it is something to be paid in order to be allowed use the roads.

That's bad enough in itself for cyclists, in that it automatically places these non payers of "road tax" in a different and dubious category of road user, who it seems are permitted to use the public highway only at the sufferance of the State and/or the motoring majority.

In my opinion, the "road tax" fallacy is loaded with notions of superiority, entitlement and expectations of payback and special indulgences. It suggests that yet another two-tier system exists, as if we didn't have enough of those already.

How do you influence culture? By giving cultural signals. Commercial interests such as the ASAI should not be enabling the propagation of such nonsense, and statutory bodies such as Revenue should not be giving it formal status by referring to it in its official documentation.

Same goes for Boards: automatic one-week ban for using the term "road tax" when Motor Tax should be used instead! ;)

Here are some examples of the "road tax" meme on the interweb:

Lets not forget that it's the motorist that pays the road tax and insurance. they should bring in a registration system for bikes, and cyclists- like other road users - should have some form of third party insurance. then they can have the same rights as other road users.

I see no reason why, as a non-cyclist, my road tax should fund cycle lanes when they can do it. Obviously if the cyclist is also a car owner, the “pay once rule” applies.

When cyclists pay road tax i will give them some respect otherwise they are like pigeons on the road to me.

I hope these two pedestrian geniuses figure out a way to make the cyclists pay for their bridge, I'm weary from paying road tax to drive on the road, parking [sic] to park on the side of it, tolls to use the motorways and tunnel charges to let ships up the river to a port that is hardly ever used. Enough is enough.

What is the point in building cycle lanes when cyclists do not use them (overall). If they want them let them pay road tax and introduce fines for when they go through red lights etc which can be ringfenced to build and maintain the lanes.

what i think is funny is we get screwed for road tax an vehicale tax to keep rods in good order, no i think you should have pay for the right to use bike on road as they dont pay road tax do they and yet we still have make way for them on the road as if they were the cnuts wo layed the tarmac

Perhaps it is time these environmental accompliances [sic] got off their high saddles and remember a salient fact. Motorists pay road tax and insurance. The Government is anxious to widen the tax base. Might it not be timely to compel adult cyclists to pay road tax and insurance? After all, they are road users too.

That said, I’m all for some form of licencing for cyclists, and a bicycle tax: why should one set of road users have to abide by a pile of regulations and the other set doesn’t? If motorists and cyclists are both using the roads, both need to be licenced and both need to pay a road tax.

We are sitting in a protected space with impact bars and air bags and paying extortionate amounts of taxes on our vehicle purchase, parking, servicing, insurance and road tax. These cyclists are throwing themselves on to some of the most congested spaces in the world. They leap on to a vehicle which offers them no protection except a padded plastic hat. It is time for us to say to cyclists: you want to join our gang, get trained and pay up.

And those posy riders in their leotards should ride single file when on a main road and shut up and pay attention, when in bus lanes or cycle lanes ride side by side talk but still pay attention, plus cyclists don’t pay road tax but us motorists pay for the cycle lanes and i am a motorcyclist who looks out for himself and doesn’t whinge every time somebody nearly kills me

People with bikes pay nothing and get free parking, and also completely disregard the rules of the road, and seem to think they can use the entire road as they wish. Pay some road tax and then get back to me.

Cllr T. Brennan said that people travelling by car pay road tax and that they should be entitled to park in parking spaces.

And finally, a quote from the inimitable and entertaining Jeremy Clarkson demonstrating that many a true word is spoken in jest:

Trespassers in the motorcar's domain, they do not pay road tax and therefore have no right to be on the road. Some of them even believe they are going fast enough to not be an obstruction. Run them down to prove them wrong.

jeremy-clarkson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

OP - Perhaps write a letter to all your local TD's on this (they love sending letters on behalf of Constituents) and also the "Office of the Press Ombudsman." if the misleading ad's are in the Print Media.
    http://www.pressombudsman.ie/office-of-the-press-ombudsman.167.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Unless of course they actually mean Dr. Spock the famous pediatrician.
    Road tax and Motor Tax are synonymous. The two Spocks are not. Unless of course you are talking about the young and old Spock in the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Just sayin' like.

studiorat wrote: »
    Unless of course they actually mean Dr. Spock the famous pediatrician.
    Road tax and Motor Tax are synonymous. The two Spocks are not. Unless of course you are talking about the young and old Spock in the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Just sayin' like.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

:D

Hmm in the cycling forum calling someone a nerd?
    There is an awful lot of people here that you could insult!

Hmm in the cycling forum calling someone a nerd?
    There is an awful lot of people here that you could insult!

Including myself really, but oh well. I'll take it on the chin, like a champ.

In my opinion, the "road tax" fallacy is loaded with notions of superiority, entitlement and expectations of payback and special indulgences. It suggests that yet another two-tier system exists, as if we didn't have enough of those already.

How do you influence culture? By giving cultural signals. Commercial interests such as the ASAI should not be enabling the propagation of such nonsense, and statutory bodies such as Revenue should not be giving it formal status by referring to it in its official documentation.

I quote those two paragraphs, which raise two points: the first refers to the in-group out-group dynamics between the driving majority and the cycling minority (see Wiki for some general considerations, in particular section In-group favoritism versus out-group negativity). The second is how you can affect (i.e. remove) this out-group perception of cyclists. Again, I'm afraid it's bit more profound than some bans on boards and a change in some ads and official documentations (again, not that they're not to be blamed, but they're just a manifestation of this divide, rather than its cause).

Both points are treated extensively in this document. If you want to read it, you can either register for free (the document is free), or find it elsewhere on the web (link, if that's allowed).

To summarise, this whole road tax issue is really a minor issue, it is an epiphenomenon of this much wider issue of cyclists being perceived by motorists (and the population in general really, since the general population will mostly be drivers at some stage, or identify with motorists -- their partner/parents/friends/etc.) as an out-group.

To summarise, this whole road tax issue is really a minor issue, it is an epiphenomenon of this much wider issue of cyclists being perceived by motorists (and the population in general really, since the general population will mostly be drivers at some stage, or identify with motorists -- their partner/parents/friends/etc.) as an out-group.

Motor Tax, as opposed to "road tax", is an instrument of environmental public policy.

Commercial interests such as the ASAI should not be ignoring that policy, and statutory bodies such as Revenue should uphold government policy by referring to the correct term in official documentation.

Some more choice "road tax" quotes from the intersphere:

If you wish to pedal around this metropolis, please pay your way - like all other road users.

I think cyclists should have to have insurance and pay road tax, why not as they use the same roads as us and we pay for cycle lanes they dont use.

Do cyclists & pedestrians pay road tax? No, they have NO say.

They pay no road tax and the government have even given them there own bicycle lanes plus they have the right of way!!! Who else gets preferential treatment like that??? Its a joke if you ask me !

When we start taxing cyclists like we do motorists, then they can have a say on how the roads are used. For now, follow instructions.

I THINK IF CYCLES ARE GIVEN CYCLE ROUTES,THEY SHOULD PAY ROAD TAX LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE.

Everyone who uses the road should pay road tax.

Cyclists are over accomdated for. I'd love to see how much money is spent per cyclist v any other road user bear in mind cyclists don't actual pay road tax or any tax if brought on cycle to work scheme.

Cyclists don't even pay road tax!

I pay my road tax and I am entitled to park where I want provided it is legal.

I pay my road tax and my millions of other taxes on my wages, if I want to use bus lanes to ride my motorbike, I fncking will.

[Cyclists] dont pay road tax, they dont obey traffic laws, they just get in the way, but get all the sympathy.

Yes, yes, yes I know all the arguments about how environmentally friendly cycles are. But I drive a lead-free fuel car, which is serviced regularly, I pay my road tax, and the journey I was on couldn't have been done by bus.

Anyone who pays Road Tax is equally entitled to park there!

I refuse to pay tolls & road tax. To me road tax is for the use of the roads.

The same road tax that every tractor owner in the country is obliged to pay. I pay my tax, I'm entitled to drive on public roads.

It’s bad enough that we can’t use College Green anymore - now we’re limited to 30kmph, it’s a joke. What’s the point in paying road tax when the speed limits are completely unrealistic?

This whole concept of "introducing a law" and "banning people" isn't doing any favours for anybody. And I refuse to take any direction off a minister passing new laws, when s/he don't even drive their own car. It's our road tax thats paying for it.

You can only cycle on roads because us drivers paid for them with our road tax. If we didn't pay road tax you would be cycling across fields so respect your car drivers.

The scale of road deterioration over recent years has been quite staggering. We have been told that some roads won’t be due for maintenance for another 40 years – what value are these people getting for their road tax?

As long as his road tax is paid and there are no double yellow etc lines he can park where he wants.

I'm sorry, but he doesn't pay any road tax so what the **** is he doing on the road shouting at motorists?

The above mentioned [pedestrians and cyclists] do not pay any road tax so I dont see why the 60,000 plus people who travel through Galway every day should have more delay added to their journeys to benefit the cyclist who pays no road tax on their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just spotted this on an AH thread, fwiw:
    Compare:
    And fwiw, I posted up saying it was an obvious joke to wind up cyclists before you missquoted me.

• Advertisement

And fwiw, I posted up saying it was an obvious joke to wind up cyclists before you missquoted me.

I quoted your post in full: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83097630&postcount=11

Missed the "obvious joke", sorry. That may have been because I didn't read the entire thread, iirc.

Mind you, if you look at the 30+ other quotes, gleaned from various sources including Boards, you'll see that your wind-up was spot on. The key difference is that the other jokers are being deadly serious!

Advertisement