Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make SUSI accountable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Letter sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

This is great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Someone was asking me by PM about how to go about contacting them

Here's a suggested letter - which I would reccomend that you add to or change or amend

PLEASE CHANGE THIS AROUND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. TDs TAKE MORE NOTICE OF NON STANDARDISED EMAILS LETTERS
    To:

Dear all

I am Contacting you as members of the Oireachtas committee on education and social protection. I understand that representatives of City of Dublin VEC/Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) will be before the committee on Tueday 13th November

Like many other students I have experienced many delays in the system (insert personal information about what happened between you and SUSI)

This has caused me a great deal of stress/anxiousness etc (insert personal story)

I would like that you as TDs/Senators do the following

1; Make sure SUSI know how much stress (financial, personal, educational) their systems are causing
    2; Ask SUSI what plans they have to work through the back log
    3; Ask SUSI why so many students documents are being lost in the system (as reported anecdotally on boards.ie)
    3; AsK that SUSI have operational plans for improvement in this years processing of grants and also a vastly improved plan for next year

I look forward to your response

Yours Sincerely

Mango salsa

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It seems but hasn't been confirmed that SUSI is not covered by the ombudsman.

If this is true then this is a very very very serious problem.

I would suggest people sending emails to include this in their emails and letters.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

email sent, i basically wrote about my own experience and how so many people were being forced out of college because of the delays. I sent it to my local TD and stated that I was in their constituency so i better get a response

• Advertisement

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    email sent, i basically wrote about my own experience and how so many people were being forced out of college because of the delays. I sent it to my local TD and stated that I was in their constituency so i better get a response

The committee members need to get as many of these as possible before Tuesday. An email to your local TD is useful but it's more infulential if it goes to all of the committee members. I would suggest (but's it's up to you) forwarding the email that you sent your local TD to all of the committee members.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

The committee members need to get as many of these as possible before Tuesday. An email to your local TD is useful but it's more infulential if it goes to all of the committee members. I would suggest (but's it's up to you) forwarding the email that you sent your local TD to all of the committee members.

Ah the TD is a member of the committee, I might forward it on to the rest of them though

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Ah the TD is a member of the committee, I might forward it on to the rest of them though

That would be a good idea

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

I have send off an email to the above list of people to express my fustration with several recommendation for next year and I asked some serious questions about the operation of this year's process.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AL93

I sent an email earlier today and i just got a reply from one of them saying that my points will be noted at the meeting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I did send an e-mail to Ruari Quinn and just got a bog-standard auto response. Cheers Mango Salsa, I feel now that I have a chance to vent my anger and frustration and hopefully some of this mess can get sorted. It's going to be a long letter with all of the problems I (like so many others) have had and still have with this shambles. Thanks again OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

email sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Email sent

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Long e-mail sent, phew i'm wrecked now. Nice to get that rant out of my system, hopefully I get more than a auto-response.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Strongly worded email sent. VERY long!

Was good to get it all out. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Deirdre5

Sent off an email yesterday and have so far received a response from my local TD saying all my points will be raised at the meeting. :) Hopefully this will be a positive step forward.

I have heard back from one of the members who happens to be my local TD, he has promised to raise all my points and recommendations for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rjudge1994

email sent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

e-mails sent and 3 replies received! All will raise our concerns on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

emails sent to all contacts and three replies - very encouraging replies also in fairness so hopefully these SUSI people now will get a proper grilling on Tuesday morning

• Advertisement

Out of interest which TDs/Senators have replied?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I have had replies from Willie O'Dea, Senator Fidelma Healy Eames, Brendan Griffin and Charlie McConalogue so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames, Brendan Griffin and Charlie McConalogue

Brilliant guys

I think this is great. Anyone who hasn't done so - still time time to send an email tonight and tomorrow.

You will also be able to watch the committee meeting live on Tuesday.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

Terry Pratchet

At the moment it is scheduled for 11:30am on Tuesday morning in Committee Room 3

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=22111&&CatID=60

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

email sent

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

I've got a reply from Charlie McConalogue and Brendan Griffin which I think is great considering that I only sent the email around 5pm today.

Charlie McConagolue has been very proactive on this issue, at least someone is trying to do something about the mess. I was astonishd to hear the figures of those applications yet to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

Email sent at 9.30 last night. Charlie McConalogue replied at 10.20 - not an auto response either. Very impressed with his reply hopefully something will come of it now! No response from anyone else so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Email sent! thanks to mango salsa for this.

Advertisement