Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Why women like it is beyond me.

That kind of outrageous comment is borderline sitebannable.
    I'd rather get a root canal, without anesthetic, than read trash like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

kylith wrote: »
    I made the mistake of saying I'd give Dan Brown a try a few years back. I won't be fooled again!

I read The Da Vinci Code when I really had nothing else to read (and I do mean nothing, in case anyone missed the bold), and, well, I would have been better off reading nothing.

This guy has a few choice things to say about Mr Browns writing....

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pauldla wrote: »
    I read The Da Vinci Code when I really had nothing else to read (and I do mean nothing, in case anyone missed the bold), and, well, I would have been better off reading nothing.

The only good thing I can say about his writing is that because the chapters are only about a page and a half long it's handy for when you're reading on the bus. I think all avid readers know the pain of having to stop in the middle of an exciting bit, but you don't have that problem with a Dan Brown novel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

swampgas wrote: »
    Just finished reading:
    - The Anubis Gates (Tim Power)
    Great read,one of his top three IMO.
    Always pimping the 'Power!

You recommended his stuff to me on the SF Forum book thread on Boards, and I subsequently loved On Stranger Tides and The Drawing of the Dark. :)

Just to echo any Iain M Banks suggestions: Player of Games is the perfect intro. It's short, one of his first books, one of his best, and gives a good intro in what the Culture is/does.

Consider Phlebas is more running and gunning than anything (which is fine!) but hardly references the Culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm currently reading and loving Glamorama by Brett Easton Ellis.

I've read Game of Thrones recently so want to continue that series.

I've read Player of Games and Surface Detail from the Culture series and loved them. My brother has a bunch of them so always trying to get a loan from him.

Years ago I started a copy of Atlas Shrugged belonging to my flatmate, but then she moved out while I was half-way through and I never got around to finishing it. I don't think I could start it again, it wasn't that compelling! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pauldla wrote: »

The Da Vinci Code was a blatant rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail - which is itself a challenging read for all the wrong reasons.

Nearest I intend to get to 50 Shades of Grey is perusing Farrow and Ball's range of eggshell paint.

keane2097 - thanks for the recommendation, will keep and eye out for Harris' Cicero books.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The Da Vinci Code was a blatant rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail - which is itself a challenging read for all the wrong reasons.
    I did enjoy a chortle when the writers of HB,HG tried to sue Dan Brown for nicking their ideas, but failed because they'd sold their book to the public on the basis that it was all actual fact. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dades wrote: »
    Consider Phlebas is more running and gunning than anything (which is fine!) but hardly references the Culture.

Yeah exactly what I meant about expecting others in the series to do it for me more, shoot em up isn't really my style of literature!
    keane2097 - thanks for the recommendation, will keep and eye out for Harris' Cicero books.

Imperium. You can get them as audiobooks for anyone who prefers that format as well.

I did enjoy a chortle when the writers of HB,HG tried to sue Dan Brown for nicking their ideas, but failed because they'd sold their book to the public on the basis that it was all actual fact. :)

I have received threats of legal action from the author of a book on an Irish historical figure - this person was told in no uncertain terms to sling their hook as their book is classified as non-fiction...wrongly in my opinion...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kylith wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me to read that drek.
    i dunno. if you gave me two hundred quid to read it...
    probably wouldn't take more than a few hours, and you'd be able to buy a couple of dozen books with the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read angels and demons by dan brown. it's a grand pulpy plotline, but by god, the writing and the details would have had me marked down to D- if i was writing creative essays in school when i was 14.
    he throws in a mach 17 plane which is owned by CERN almost on the first page. the plot does not need it, and there's no reason for it being there, other than that he obviously thinks it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

A History of Western Philosophy: Bertrand Russell
    Thomas Paine age of reason, and Common Sense.
    listening and reading all the writings of Robert Ingersoll
    Subscription to New Scientist, and just starting subscription to Nature magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i dunno. if you gave me two hundred quid to read it...
    probably wouldn't take more than a few hours, and you'd be able to buy a couple of dozen books with the money.

I dunno. Sitting here thinking about if someone said that I had to read The Davinci Code or hammer a nail through my hand.... I honestly can't decide.

The Da Vinci code was a generic page-turner with a mildly controversial conclusion. I hold no animosity toward it.

It probably prompted a lot more people to actually pick up a book than a decade of Booker prize-winners did. Maybe some of them even went on to read other books. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Da Vinci code was a generic page-turner with a mildly controversial conclusion. I hold no animosity toward it.

It probably prompted a lot more people to actually pick up a book than a decade of Booker prize-winners did. Maybe some of them even went on to read other books. :)

Yeah didn't think it was that bad at all. Reading more than one Dan Browne book you quickly realise they're all done to a fairly obvious formula but having not read any of his other stuff previously I found DVC quite engrossing, clever and certainly no more poorly written than a lot of the fantasy novels people seem to ZOMG over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

This is true:-) I have a friend who never read a book between her school years and the Da Vinci Code and I've since caught her reading "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka (which is a good read).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Brought my kindle loaded with stuff and one physical book with me on hols and only finished the physical book which was The Honourable Schoolboy by Le Carre. I've been going through all of the books that feature Smiley and thoroughly enjoying them. Not done much reading since unfortunately so the only solution is longer holidays next year :)

mewso wrote: »
    Brought my kindle loaded with stuff and one physical book with me on hols and only finished the physical book which was The Honourable Schoolboy by Le Carre. I've been going through all of the books that feature Smiley and thoroughly enjoying them. Not done much reading since unfortunately so the only solution is longer holidays next year :)

I was very opposed to the whole idea of the kindle - but what about the paper smell, the physicality, the weight of a book in ones hand I wailed...then I got one from OH for Xmas. It was, she freely admits, one of those presents that benefit the giver - in her case it was because we take my grandkids camping every July and I keep her awake at night juggling book and torch and fill the tent with my holiday books and bitch when they get damp....

I brought the whole Artemis Fowl series on holidays with me - on the kindle- I also discovered our tent is quite spacious but this may be a coincidence...

My mother was horrified by the Kindle - she is now reading books on the iPad my brother bought her.

But - there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

I find that some books are simply too pivotal to just have digitally, there is something comforting to have them on a shelf, plus a book does not have a battery life. I use my phone to read some books but its not a large screen so it takes a lot of scrolling which gets old. Still worth it in a queue or at a bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was very opposed to the whole idea of the kindle - but what about the paper smell, the physicality, the weight of a book in ones hand I wailed...then I got one from OH for Xmas. It was, she freely admits, one of those presents that benefit the giver - in her case it was because we take my grandkids camping every July and I keep her awake at night juggling book and torch and fill the tent with my holiday books and bitch when they get damp....

I brought the whole Artemis Fowl series on holidays with me - on the kindle- I also discovered our tent is quite spacious but this may be a coincidence...

My mother was horrified by the Kindle - she is now reading books on the iPad my brother bought her.

But - there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

I look forward to having a study with wall to wall bookcases at some point. Plenty of dark wood, leather and a fire place somewhere. It'd all look a little bare with only a kindle on a desk.

It's kinda like the quote I've seen attributed to John Waters (of directing, homosexuality and pencil moustache fame) "If you go back to someones place and they don't have books, don't **** them".

How will we know who to not **** in the future?:pac:

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I look forward to having a study with wall to wall bookcases at some point. Plenty of dark wood, leather and a fire place somewhere. It'd all look a little bare with only a kindle on a desk.

It's kinda like the quote I've seen attributed to John Waters (of directing, homosexuality and pencil moustache fame) "If you go back to someones place and they don't have books, don't **** them".

How will we know who to not **** in the future?:pac:

I must confess I have the book lined study with desk (no leather chairs or fireplace as it's the box bedroom) containing a sofa that is also stacked with books...and a book lined bedroom which used to have a locker stacked with books but now I have a book pile which contains a locker somewhere in it's innards...and a book lined wall in the dining room...I am negotiating for a book lined bathroom but not holding out much hope :(

I think it's obvious why OH bought me a kindle. It's because she saw that JW quote too. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gbear wrote: »

Don't forget the Chesterfield and glass of scotch on the side table. :)

If I did my reading with a glass of something beside the fireplace, I'd read a book.

As it is, though, I'd get back strain carting something like "A Dance with Dragons" in and out of work every day. Also, try reading a large hardback while standing in a jammed DART during rush hour.

No, they may not smell as good, but Kindles have their uses. I've the paperwhite version on my Christmas Festivus list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've gone for a bit of escapism recently and read Misadventures in the Middle East: Travels as Tramp, Artist and Spy. I enjoyed it. I read a lot of travel writing and this was engaging, funny and interesting.

I've just started One Steppe Beyond: Across Russia in a VW Camper and, upon first impression, it will not be as gripping as above.

i don't have a kindle, simply because if i want to read on public transport, with the option of meeting someone for a pint in town after work, i can't sling the kindle in a corner and not worry unduly about it being stolen or someone spilling a pint on it.

plus, i don't like being spied on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I love my kindle, however, not only is the kindle awesome, but the cloud service amazon offer along with it is brilliant! I only bring my kindle to work if I'm getting the bus, so I can read it on the bus, but if I drive then I leave the kindle at home as I can just read whatever I'm reading at my desk on my PC. Super!

I've finally finished War and Peace, ended up skimming the end as is got fairly feckin' tedious!! As it was such a weighty tome, I'm going stick with something short next, so will probably read Mortality by Hitchens, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

[...] You recommended his stuff to me on the SF Forum book thread on Boards [...]

What - there's an SF forum on boards?

*Smacks forehead, runs off to check it out *

i don't have a kindle, simply because if i want to read on public transport, with the option of meeting someone for a pint in town after work, i can't sling the kindle in a corner and not worry unduly about it being stolen or someone spilling a pint on it.

I have a kindle but only because it was bought for me, otherwise I would've gone with one of the cheaper e-readers because I don't use Amazon to buy books in the first place. Even with a Kindle though it's simple to not get spied on, just turn off the whiffy. :)

But you're much more likely to get spied reading Fifty Shades of Grey with the paperback in your hand. :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement