Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stolen in 2009

Options
  • 04-07-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

So basically my car was stolen in 2009 without insurance, leaving me as the rightful owner.

now the type of car it was, i assumed it was robbed for parts and so did alot of other people.

today i received a letter in the post from the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport telling me that the department has received
    a statutory declaration from another person claiming that s/he has acquired the vehicle

So after talking to the Gardai they said that it basically means someone is trying to claim ownership and get a new log book sent to them. the Garda then told me to call the department and get the name and address of this person and bring it up to them.

Q1. Will the department give me that info freely?

Q2. What are the chances of me actually getting the car back?

Also has anybody ever had this happen to them?

thanks Frynge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Q1. Will the department give me that info freely?
    They should. If not the cops can get that info easily.
    Q2. What are the chances of me actually getting the car back?
    Fairly high. I suspect the new "owner" does not know of its past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They should. If not the cops can get that info easily.

Fairly high. I suspect the new "owner" does not know of its past.
    I doubt they'll issue the name and address of the claimant to the OP as that may breach the Data Protection Act and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Why aren't the cops doing this themselves?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Call into your local Garda station with the letter, and details of the theft and Garda report.

Then ask them nicely to go meet and greet the poor unfortunate who is trying to register your car, and return your property to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

thanks everyone

I'll call the department tomorrow and then drop up to the garda station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Good luck with this but bear in mind that the other person is probably innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So hang on...

Your car was stolen (presumed stripped) and you reported it as such to the Gardai but it's still in your name (would it not have been "written off" in some fashion after whatever length of time?)

Now it's turned up and the Gardai have suggested you simply hand over the log book/ownership to the new buyer? Again why is it still in your name at all and if it IS still "your" car, why should you hand it over at all?

And as above, why aren't our wonderful boys n girls in blue doing this rather than asking you to deal directly with the receiver of (your) stolen property?? (O/T: And people wonder why the Gardai get slated??!!)

My advice here.. don't call ANYONE till you speak to a solicitor about this, your liability/responsibility and so on...

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So hang on...

Your car was stolen (presumed stripped) and you reported it as such to the Gardai and your insurance etc but it's still in your name (would it not have been "written off" in some fashion after whatever length of time?)
    Were you compensated for this? Did you get what you paid for it, or the ridiculously lower "book value" that most insurers will try and fob you off with? (unless you're "persistent" with them)

Now it's turned up and the Gardai have suggested you simply hand over the log book/ownership to the new buyer? Again why is it still in your name at all and if it IS still "your" car, why should you hand it over at all?

And as above, why aren't our wonderful boys n girls in blue doing this rather than asking you to deal directly with the receiver of (your) stolen property?? (O/T: And people wonder why the Gardai get slated??!!)

My advice here.. don't call ANYONE till you speak to a solicitor about this, your liability/responsibility (could you have to give back the car/money you were compensated etc), impact on your insurance (presumably you lost your no claims at the time?) and so on...

He/She didn't have insurance so it was never written off, just missing. The guards want her to go and get the details of the new registrant so they can chase him/her up.

She didn't have insurance so it was never written off, just missing. The guards want her to go and get the details of the new registrant so they can chase him/her up.

Yea belatedly copped the no insurance bit and edited accordingly :)

Side note...

Years and years ago we were broken into one night and a pedigree dog (worth about £600 in old money) was stolen from the kitchen

My mother recognized the dog on the street several months later and called into the local Garda station to ask them to retrieve it (they weren't overly keen about this as it was one of their informants that now had the dog)

Long story short, after some higher-level intervention, the dog was returned (although the "new owner" was never charged with even receiving stolen goods)

So in other words OP, go get your car back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Frynge wrote: »
    So after talking to the Gardai they said that it basically means someone is trying to claim ownership and get a new log book sent to them. the Garda then told me to call the department and get the name and address of this person and bring it up to them.

So the Garda isn't willing to make one phone call to find the location of a stolen car.

Quality police work there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

He/She didn't have insurance so it was never written off, just missing. The guards want her to go and get the details of the new registrant so they can chase him/her up.

Insurance is neither here nor there. The stolen vehicle is still exactly that - a stolen vehicle.

As far as I'm concerned it's the Gardaí who should be chasing the person who now claims to be in possession of the stolen vehicle. Surely the Gardaí have quicker and easier means to contact the Department rather than a normal Joe?

Have I missed something here......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Did the OP report it stolen in the first place? Is she reporting it stolen now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

So hang on...

Your car was stolen (presumed stripped) and you reported it as such to the Gardai but it's still in your name (would it not have been "written off" in some fashion after whatever length of time?)

My advice here.. don't call ANYONE till you speak to a solicitor about this, your liability/responsibility and so on...

Did you read the OP at all ?

The Op was never asked to hand over the log book

crosstownk wrote: »
    Insurance is neither here nor there. The stolen vehicle is still exactly that - a stolen vehicle.

As far as I'm concerned it's the Gardaí who should be chasing the person who now claims to be in possession of the stolen vehicle. Surely the Gardaí have quicker and easier means to contact the Department rather than a normal Joe?

why should the gardai chase them? what crime has been committed other than someone trying to get a log book.
    Should the dept not contact the gardai?
    Why is the car still in the OP's name?

Did you read the OP at all ?

The Op was never asked to hand over the log book

That depends on whether....
    the Garda then told me to call the department and get the name and address of this person and bring it up to them.

Means "give the log book to whoever is now trying to claim it" or "give this person's details to the gardai"

If the latter then why aren't THEY (the Gardai) chasing it up. Either way they don't seem in too much of a hurry to return this stolen property.

Presumably also the potential new owner will have a claim against whoever they themselves bought it from (wonder if they even know yet the background to their new purchase)

Because there was no insurer involved the car can't have been written off. Not sure if an insurer would write off a stolen car after paying out anyway.

In any event you can't deregister a car.

hondasam wrote: »
    why should the gardai chase them? what crime has been committed other than someone trying to get a log book.
    Should the dept not contact the gardai?
    Why is the car still in the OP's name?

Trying to get the log book of a stolen car? Surely that's worthy of investigation by the Gardaí? No?

The Department should contact the Gardaí but are they aware that the car is stolen?

Presumably it's it's still in the OPs name as he still owns it despite the fact that it was stolen from him.
    Because there was no insurer involved the car can't have been written off. Not sure if an insurer would write off a stolen car after paying out anyway.

Nothing to do with insurance. It's about ownership.

In any event you can't deregister a car.

Not sure I follow?
    So scrapped cars are still registered to the last owner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That depends on whether....

Means "give the log book to whoever is now trying to claim it" or "give it to the gardai"

They are talking about bringing the name and address of the people looking for the new VLC to the Gardai, not giving the VLC to anyone

They are talking about bringing the name and address of the people looking for the new VLC to the Gardai, not giving the VLC to anyone

Still doesn't explain why the Gardai are asking the OP to do the "detective work" for them though. Surely dealing with the retrieval of stolen property is their job, no?

EDIT: Would the department even give out this info (of presumably an innocent buyer) to the OP - or this being Ireland, should they even be allowed to?

Not sure I follow?
    Pretty much.

Not sure I follow?

Scrapped cars get a Certificate of Destruction which effectively nulls the registration but does not deregister it.

Deregistration is possible but only in exceptional circumstances and usually on vehicles that have been registered quite recently. Theft is not an exceptional circumstance.

Would the department even give out this info (of presumably an innocent buyer) to the OP - or this being Ireland, should they even be allowed to?

Data protection legislation prevents them from giving this info to the general public without permission. However, the Gardaí could easily access the relevant info.

Did the OP ever report it stolen to the gardai or to the dept of transport?

Where has the car been for the last three years? It's obvious it's still in the OP's name.

Did the OP ever report it stolen to the gardai or to the dept of transport?
    Good question. If it wasn't reported stolen then the sequence of events is perfectly normal.

Good question. If it wasn't reported stolen then the sequence of events is perfectly normal.

I would have thought if it was reported stolen at the time the dept would inform the gardai of it whereabouts now and then they would investigate it.

I would have thought if it was reported stolen at the time the dept would inform the gardai of it whereabouts now and then they would investigate it.
    Jaysus. This is Ireland we are talking about. The right hand doesn't talk to the left etc.

The Dept would not inform the Gardaí of someone trying to register a car.

• Advertisement

The Dept would not inform the Gardaí of someone trying to register a car.

I think it's about change of ownership rather than registration.

Advertisement