Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:42pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a continuation of the original "Ulster Bank systems are down thread", which has been closed off due to it's evergrowing size.

The same rules apply:

a) Keep the posts constructive and civil.
    b) Keep them on topic (i.e, the outage, (questions and answers on what people should do/can do), status updates etc)
    c) Do not respond on thread to a post which you feel is unacceptable
    d) Report any such posts
    e) Retaliation is just as bad as instigating: i.e. "he started it" is not a defence. Drag the thread off topic, even in reply to a post by someone else will lead to deletion/infraction/bans
    f) Anyone who falls foul of the above will get short shrift

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

Non-update on UB's website now. http://ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/service-update.ashx

Oh all right;they have provided some updates in the details/FAQ bit underneath the main blurble, confirming at least what will not have been processed thus far.

*Grudgingly* I suppose that is something...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silentbang

Good link Ogham, finally we hear from him, however hes quoted as saying " We are working day and night to process the backlog of transactions for Ulster Bank as quickly as possible"...surely this is a lie? I havent heard of anyones account being processed and brought up to date and thats after 10 days... PLUS the teller in the bank told me everything was being done manually until systems were working properly, THEN they will start work on the backlog and updating peoples accounts.
    You just wouldnt know what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As I suspected Child Benefit is held up as well. They say they will continue to have arrangements in place to ensure access to cash & to present yourself in branch with proof of ID etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

Domhnall66 wrote: »
    Non-update on UB's website now. http://ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/service-update.ashx

Oh all right, they have provided some updates in the details/FAQ bit underneath the main blurble, confirming at least what will not have been processed thus far.

*Grudgingly* I suppose that is something...

You mean about thursday the 21st?

That's been the exact same since about 5-6 days hasn't even changed to friday 22nd payments/salaries etc.

It's absolutely no new information on their site.

As for people "chancing their arm" with regards to taking out money you don't have I would really think twice here, your account is attached to an address and speaking from ecperience if you do not pay, that debt will be forwarded to a debt resolution company if you still do not pay then it goes to the solicitor's and onto the county sheriff, now it's russian roulette, you could get a hard ass who will just go to your residence and seize stuff.

I've had this happen not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Great so the children's allowance won't be going through automatically on Tuesday now either. Does not fill me with hope for the wages so

• Advertisement

jcupcake wrote: »

That's been the exact same since about 5-6 days hasn't even changed to friday 22nd payments/salaries etc.

As for people "chancing their arm" with regards to taking out money you don't have I would really think twice here, your account is attached to an address and speaking from ecperience if you do not pay, that debt will be forwarded to a debt resolution company if you still do not pay then it goes to the solicitor's and onto the county sheriff, now it's russian roulette, you could get a hard ass who will just go to your residence and seize stuff.

I've had this happen not so long ago.

Yep fully advise against withdrawing more than you actually have or can afford, but it will happen, also how come the regulator are letting them hand money out like this without any agreements in place?

jcupcake wrote: »

I meant about the childrens' allowance but I can't swear that wasn't there before. Seemed new to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

silentbang wrote: »
    Yep fully advise against withdrawing more than you actually have or can afford, but it will happen, also how come the regulator are letting them hand money out like this without any agreements in place?

I suppose its that or bar access to cash for hundreds of thousands of UB customers, which would cause a lot more damage to the banks reputation that already has been.

Anyone who goes down and withdraws more money than they have owing to them will eventually have to pay it back! its not like the bank dont know where you live lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

They're just letting people withdraw cash.

Not the same as a giving them a loan or an overdraft where facility letters have to issue etc.

is that a recent article or old? theres no date on it excpet todays date on the main page in the top lefthand corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Why on earth is that funny? Do you think any of those to be let go had anything to do with the situation now?

Edit: probably an old article

Geri Male wrote: »
    They're just letting people withdraw cash.

Not the same as a giving them a loan or an overdraft where facility letters have to issue etc.

Yeah withdraw cash without any proof that you are owed wages or even in receipt of a wage, I only have 4 euro in my account and based on my word they were prepared to give me 1000 euro. Its going to be some clean up is all im saying....im a law abiding citizen so i wouldnt take advantage, im also not vulnerable so wouldnt even be tempted, but there are those who will.

Yeah withdraw cash without any proof that you are owed wages or even in receipt of a wage, I only have 4 euro in my account and based on my word they were prepared to give me 1000 euro. Its going to be some clean up is all im saying....im a law abiding citizen so i wouldnt take advantage, im also not vulnerable so wouldnt even be tempted, but there are those who will.

well if there are people who are withdrawing a grand when they dont have that much to their name, they hopefully realise they will have to pay it back.

if they dont, the bank will pursue them on it.

youd have to be pretty stupid to think that it was free money, with no strings attatched

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

based on my word they were prepared to give me 1000 euro
    I wonder how mad town was last night with people drinking unlimited cash?

AltAccount wrote: »
    Why on earth is that funny? Do you think any of those to be let go had anything to do with the situation now?

I was just on my way to edit: to answer your question, no, emphatically not.
    It is more a case of "I laugh so that I do not cry"....

I think it is a) appallingly mis-timed, horrifically so and b) deeply, profoundly, unfair that front line staff are let go in order to protect the demonstrably poor leadership.

Quite aside from the unimaginably demoralising effect of this on the staff and the very real consequences for those let go, just from a purely business "people are raw materials" point of view this highlights what I consider to be the utter ineptitude at the top of this organisation.

There are only three reasons to cut staff, ever.
    1. You had too many to begin with for some reason.
    2. You have to or the whole company will go down with the loss of all jobs.
    3. You have no business plan to make profits by, I dunno, delivering in a competitive manner, so you protect your bottom line by slashing overheads.

Purely a personal opinion but I'm going for door number 3 in this case. They may as well start wearing sandwich boards saying "we can't do our jobs - replace us" because that is what it says to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

is that a recent article or old? theres no date on it excpet todays date on the main page in the top lefthand corner

11 Jan 2012

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Article dates from 11 January 2012.

950 job losses were eventually announced a few weeks later.

I was just on my way to edit: to answer your question, no, emphatically not.
    It is more a case of "I laugh so that I do not cry"....

I think it is a) appallingly mis-timed, horrifically so and b) deeply, profoundly, unfair that front line staff are let go in order to protect the demonstrably poor leadership.

Quite aside from the unimaginably demoralising effect of this on the staff and the very real consequences for those let go, just from a purely business "people are raw materials" point of view this highlights what I consider to be the utter ineptitude at the top of this organisation.

There are only three reasons to cut staff, ever.
    1. You had too many to begin with for some reason.
    2. You have to or the whole company will go down with the loss of all jobs.
    3. You have no business plan to make profits by, I dunno, delivering in a competitive manner, so you protect your bottom line by slashing overheads.

Purely a personal opinion but I'm going for door number 3 in this case. They may as well start wearing sandwich boards saying "we can't do our jobs - replace us" because that is what it says to the market.

That's great and all, you're very inciteful with your analysis, but is that article actually current? It's not on their front Page or business front page on the website.

In the meantime you could destroy the morale and focus of the front line staff that so many posters are relying on to help them through this.

Makes you look foolish tbh

youd have to be pretty stupid to think that it was free money, with no strings attatched

Totally agreed, however im just not sure they should be dishing money out like they are, people have been without wages for 2 weeks, they go into the bank and are then asked 'how much do you want'...Jesus some folks would take hand an all...just think they should be more responsible, people were left vulnerable and desperate after 2 weeks going into 3 with no wages,yeah its there own fault if they overdraw on their account,just dont think the bank should be giving them that option. This country and many others are in a state because people couldnt say no!

Geri Male wrote: »
    Article dates from 11 January 2012.

950 job losses were eventually announced a few weeks later.

Eh? Google and the page dated it today (I didn't buy the indo hardcopy so had nothing to cross-reference).
    Apologies for the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Just reposting the link from Ogham. As it's the most up to date info I've seen

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/letter-from-rbs-chairman-about-problems-affecting-ulster-bank.html

Totally agreed, however im just not sure they should be dishing money out like they are, people have been without wages for 2 weeks, they go into the bank and are then asked 'how much do you want'...Jesus some folks would take hand an all...just think they should be more responsible, people were left vulnerable and desperate after 2 weeks going into 3 with no wages,yeah its there own fault if they overdraw on their account,just dont think the bank should be giving them that option. This country and many others are in a state because people couldnt say no!

i see what youre saying, and youre right.

but the bank literally had no other alternative than to hand out cash the way theyre doing it.

if they had refused access to cash to every UB customer since this began there would have been UPROAR.

i really just hope this ends soon. im sick of wondering where in cyberspace my money is, and if i will even ever get it at all...

Some people are just opportunistically dishonest - look at the looting in the London riots. Hopefully those who take the opportunity to defraud the bank will get prosecuted in due course.

Just reposting the link from Ogham. As it's the most up to date info I've seen

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/letter-from-rbs-chairman-about-problems-affecting-ulster-bank.html

so judging by Hester's comments, it will be this time next week, or even a little later before things begin to improve? brilliant!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Some people are just opportunistically dishonest - look at the looting in the London riots. Hopefully those who take the opportunity to defraud the bank will get prosecuted in due course.
    That would be a civil matter sir!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just applied for a Ptsb account online.

I've had enough.

When the dust settles, all of my banking will be through Ptsb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Still no update on my account. The €50 they put on my account last night is still there...not sure why. eBay charged my visa debit 84€ today for fees which says they received it on their site but the UB online banking balance is still the same....I hope it actually goes through or my account will get banned :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

DD9090 wrote: »
    Just applied for a Ptsb account online.

I've had enough.

When the dust settles, all of my banking will be through Ptsb.

Does ptsb have a banking app? I might go that direction myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

i deal with ptsb and ive always found them superb online banking at the touch of a button withdrawals transfers done with no hassle at all ... i only mention this because my mother in law whos in receipt of pension and and banks with ub has had nomoney for 2 weeks is expected to run a house on one single payment her husbands of which our terrific government has stuck their sticky mits in and taken 15 euro aweek due to so called uppaid personal taxes from 38 years ago ...ha ha ha aint this country grand ..oh and she has moved to ptsb

• Advertisement

That's great and all, you're very inciteful with your analysis, but is that article actually current? It's not on their front Page or business front page on the website.

In the meantime you could destroy the morale and focus of the front line staff that so many posters are relying on to help them through this.

Makes you look foolish tbh

I agree 100% and I do feel foolish. I apologised for the mistake (an honest one, the webpage and the google link that brought me to it had today's date) and confusion above, then deleted the post to minimise further confusion. No contest and no argument.

I'd be slightly worried though if front line staffers were coming here for updates.

On reflection though, perhaps not surprised...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement