Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2012, 23:15   #46
Piste

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda100 View Post
Fair play to Joan. I say you would never ever get response from a Fine Gael, Fine Fail or labour TD stating that they are firmly pro choice.
Once of my local TDs got back to me, he's Fine Gael and while he didn't say he was pro-choice or pro-life, he said that the posters made him uncomfortable and that scaremongering is unfair as it prevents people from learning the facts.
Advertisement
29-06-2012, 10:12   #47
fatmammycat
Closed Account

There's an excellent take down of YD in today's Irish Times called "Facts still sacred despite Ireland's spectrum of conflicting views on abortion". Very interesting read if you get a chance to do so.
(3) thanks from:
29-06-2012, 10:27   #48
Honey-ec
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmammycat View Post
There's an excellent take down of YD in today's Irish Times called "Facts still sacred despite Ireland's spectrum of conflicting views on abortion". Very interesting read if you get a chance to do so.
Excellent, excellent article. I'm sharing this all over the place.

Here's the link, for anyone who'd like to read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...318966035.html
(4) thanks from:
29-06-2012, 11:24   #49
Malari

Very good article. Interesting that they don't even mention the "always" tagline either and focus on the other "tears" assertion.
29-06-2012, 11:33   #50
eviltwin

Interesting article. Only one problem, they have assessed the existence of PAS on a study of women in Denmark where abortion has been legal since the early 70's. As another poster mentioned when abortion is legal some of the stigma is taken away.

We don't have that, we also have the added stress of having to make a decision and then make travel arrangements, there is very little in the way of pre abortion counselling, its hard to access decent post abortion counselling, when you come home its hard to find other women who will talk about it so you feel very alone.....

I have no doubt PAS does exist, I had it myself but the only reason I had it was because I felt rushed into making a decision based on the time I could take off work, costs of flights etc. I really do believe if abortion had been available here I could have taken my time making the decision, gotten the right support and gone into it with my eyes open. As it was I don't think I really knew if it was the right decision or not.

With a lot of therapy I now know it was the right thing to do and I have no regrets but it caused me a lot of unnecessary heartache I could have avoided if I'd been able to have the abortion here.
Advertisement
10-07-2012, 16:07   #51
Morag

Tomorrow evening (July 11th) there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads, starting at 6.30pm.

And this evening the folks behind the Unlike Youth Defence, I trust women to decide their lives for themselves. page are holding a poster-making event, starting at 7pm in Seomra Spraoi.
11-07-2012, 15:22   #52
iguana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
Tomorrow evening (July 11th) there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads, starting at 6.30pm.
Will try my best to make it this evening. I'm a bit nervous as I'm 5 months pregnant and I have experience of YD groups getting violent when people openly opposing them but I've enlisted my husband as 'bodyguard' so should be ok. It's so screwed up that a pregnant woman feels so safety cautious when it comes to dealing with pro-lifers but YD stink of hypocrisy and I would not trust the majority of them to actually give a damn about the life of any unborn who get in their way. I don't think it's just my paranoia either as I mentioned to a few people that I was hoping to go to this tonight and the first thing they all did was express worry for our safety.
(5) thanks from:
11-07-2012, 16:01   #53
Millicent

Someone took those ads into their own hands in Bray...

11-07-2012, 16:17   #54
Morag

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana View Post
Will try my best to make it this evening. I'm a bit nervous as I'm 5 months pregnant and I have experience of YD groups getting violent when people openly opposing them but I've enlisted my husband as 'bodyguard' so should be ok. It's so screwed up that a pregnant woman feels so safety cautious when it comes to dealing with pro-lifers but YD stink of hypocrisy and I would not trust the majority of them to actually give a damn about the life of any unborn who get in their way. I don't think it's just my paranoia either as I mentioned to a few people that I was hoping to go to this tonight and the first thing they all did was express worry for our safety.
I'm going and am more then happy to stand with ye, there is always a garda presence at Lenister house anyway, so I don't think we'll have much hassle.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2012, 21:15   #55
christmas2012
Banned

abortion is not the answer being honest if it makes a woman think twice before termination then i think its a positive thing,im not against abortion though as funny as that sounds,granted if youre in the wrong relationship or your boyfriend is an asshole or a wife beater etc,its probably the better option,but in the long run sometimes you can look back in regret for what you have done,i wouldnt say abortion is for everyone..regret is hard to live with for some people and it really is..
11-07-2012, 22:11   #56
Tigger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas2012 View Post
abortion is not the answer being honest if it makes a woman think twice before termination then i think its a positive thing,im not against abortion though as funny as that sounds,granted if youre in the wrong relationship or your boyfriend is an asshole or a wife beater etc,its probably the better option,but in the long run sometimes you can look back in regret for what you have done,i wouldnt say abortion is for everyone..regret is hard to live with for some people and it really is..

Think twice? Every woman I know that's had an abortion has thought deeply about it. It such a deeply naive myth to state that women having abortions do it Willy nilly.

It's so patronising, this attitude (not at you Christmas2012 but generally). Do people really think that women have abortions without considering the alternatives, and in many cases its the most heartbreaking decision that they will ever make, but it doesn't mean that its one that they will regret.
11-07-2012, 22:15   #57
iguana

I'm very happy to have been proved paranoid. Protest went well, I stayed for about an hour and there was absolutely no trouble at it.

Didn't get to meet Sharrow though, maybe next time.
12-07-2012, 00:03   #58
Morag

Sorry I missed you iguana.

There was between 300 and 400 people there, a good mix of men and women and the age group was mostly young people in their 20s - 30s.

Last edited by Morag; 12-07-2012 at 00:31.
(4) thanks from:
12-07-2012, 02:47   #59
Sar_Bear
Closed Account

I was shocked to see this billboard recently. I think it should be a womans right to choose. And not have these billboards as a constant reminder or a guilt trip to any woman who has gone through this.

Sent the letter to 4 of my TDs and to the advertising crowd. Thanks OP.

Edit : I just went to the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland and see that they will not be investigating this ad even though they have gotten numerous complaints. BS

Last edited by Sar_Bear; 12-07-2012 at 02:57.
12-07-2012, 08:21   #60
Laneyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas2012 View Post
Wait .. What ? Abortion might be the answer depending on the circumstances
or at least the only viable option. Saying its not the answer and then citing examples of when it might be appropriate is somewhat contradictory no ?

Regret is hard to live with as is harassment, intimidation and social stigma.

Abortion is illegal in Ireland, so is euthanasia but I accept that people travel abroad sometimes to resolve a situation as they see fit. I see nothing to be gained from a campaign which subjects these people to some kind of guilt trip.
In a lot of cases they have already missed out on the normal aftercare involved post abortion as they have to return to Ireland

If I try to take the campaign on face value I still can't see anything good about it to be honest
It tells me that it tears women's and unborn children's lives apart - ok
And there is always a better answer -ok

I click onto the YD site to see what this better way is - do I find referrals to counselling services, a directory of healthcare professionals in my area, any information prudent to unplanned pregnancy, adoption options ? - a small amount of info buried within the site

The campaign has failed if its aim was to provide women considering an abortion with a better answer. I found no answers on the site just scaremongering

As an organisation YD do not support contraception or sex education and I don't know if it's part of their official line but most of them are anti gay also.

So it seems to me they're pretty short on answers

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion