Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-05-2012, 17:03   #16
elvis99

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post
What have they stood up for though? They erected a camp in Eyre Square and nobody has asked them to move. That's hardly standing up for something really. The people of Derry or Syria or the American Civil Rights movement can all be admired for standing up for something and what they did took balls but skulking in a tent in the corner of Eyre Square for six months isn't what could be called standing up for anything.
They have views which are bizarre, but some views they express I would agree with. My point was they stood up for what they believed in, and still haven't backed down, that's admirable imo.

And Id happily prefer to support a tent full of crazy people in Eyre square for 6 months before a tent full of cronies at the Galway races for 3 days.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 17:16   #17
antoobrien

They have it in their minutes that the ODS breached section 21 of the Public Order act - hence the dismantling of the camp for the St Patricks Day parade.

VOR - please say you want Eyre Square for something.
02-05-2012, 17:37   #18
elvis99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
You have to admire their perseverance but question their judgement.

At various times, they've been promoting the Freeman-on-the-Land hokum, decrying water fluoridation the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face, promoting a Goth night in De Burgos and wanting cheaper fossil fuels for all (but also costing up a, er fusion reactor "to harness solar")

Today's offering on Facebook was this.

Now the problem here is that in the text of the Treaty that exists on Occupygalway.org, there's no Article 27. There's also no Article 9.3. No sign in the official version either so you have to wonder about a group who will tell you from one side of their mouth that you're being led up the garden path with the Treaty and just randomly making **** up about it with the other.
http://www.european-council.europa.e...tesm2.en12.pdf

Those sections are actually listed as part of the treaty according to the PDF which I found on the european council website, make of it what you will, but it is covered in Article 32, the sections they have highlighted seem mixed up.

Im not a supporter of occupy but the section they have highlighted may not have been pulled from there hoop.
02-05-2012, 20:32   #19
jkforde

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
The only two caveats are, don't be a dick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo12 View Post
Remember, this is the city that wants to erect a statue to the murderous thug Guevara. They have neither the balls or the courage to move these beardos on. It's about state/taxpayer handouts - that's all they care about.
great start there eamo12

my opinion is that these folks are genuine if idealistic in their concerns about social injustice, which is insidious & obvious to anyone who makes the effort to ask the right questions. it's too easy & intellectually lazy to negatively label people without at least trying to empathise with their concerns and situation. they're not beardos, they're brave citizens who are voicing concerns that the rest of us cowards won't voice, maybe because we're too busy being brainwashed consumers. i mean, how many people on here have actually bothered to talk with them in their camp?

Last edited by jkforde; 02-05-2012 at 20:47. Reason: opinion
(2) thanks from:
02-05-2012, 22:37   #20
biko
Percolator

eamo12 banned.
As in the previous thread there will be some pretty heavy modding going on so do try hard to be civil. I don't mind banning people from each "camp".
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 22:49   #21
Gingko

I agree with Biko's opening post. People should always have the right to protest especially these days after all that has and is happening. I personally don't think the Galway protest is "in your face" at all? It's nestled into a small corner and not blocking the entrance to Eyre square. They have it fenced off and they seem to be concious of litter etc. When I visited last everyone was very polite and courteous and easy to warm to.

I do hope that it doesn't go the way of the Dublin protest that started well but ended up dirty, littered and to be quite honest there were quite a few scumbags that latched on there in the end.

What would it say about the Irish if there was no protest at all? Wish them well!
03-05-2012, 01:56   #22
WallyGUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingko View Post
I agree with Biko's opening post. People should always have the right to protest especially these days after all that has and is happening. I personally don't think the Galway protest is "in your face" at all? It's nestled into a small corner and not blocking the entrance to Eyre square. They have it fenced off and they seem to be concious of litter etc. When I visited last everyone was very polite and courteous and easy to warm to.

I do hope that it doesn't go the way of the Dublin protest that started well but ended up dirty, littered and to be quite honest there were quite a few scumbags that latched on there in the end.

What would it say about the Irish if there was no protest at all? Wish them well!
But it's not a protest to the normal passerby. I don't see protesting going on. Whenever I pass, 3/4 times a week, I see a few lads in the main marquee sitting around drinking tea. That's it. What are they protesting against again? Why are they allowed stay there? Would caravans be as welcome in Eyre Square? Can anyone just decide to camp there now? Why do they claim to represent the 99%? All interesting questions...
03-05-2012, 03:48   #23
Wompa1

Send a message via AIM to Wompa1 Send a message via Yahoo to Wompa1
In the time the Occupy camp has been in Eyre Square I've been offered 5 jobs and my girlfriend has got 4 part time jobs...but I guess sitting in a tent in the middle of the town is another way to deal with the recession..the 99.9999999999999999...whatever % that each person there would protest for and against won't buy my lunch, pay for my internet or put petrol in my car. Self preservation and all that, if you have the months to piss away sitting in a tent, how bad off are you? Maybe it's a sign that social welfare is too generous in Ireland more than anything. Or are these people unwilling to work and see this as a cause which justifies them not looking for work?

I really don't get it at this stage. It's past the point of protest. Does anybody have any positive thoughts when they see the camp now? For the first few days I thought it was admirable, I really did. It quickly spiralled into a cluster f**k and now it's nothing more than settlement of tents in the Square..there is no protest.
03-05-2012, 07:30   #24
CrowdedHouse

I'm wondering why the thread was re-opened at all.

Seems a bit pointless like the 'protest'
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 10:59   #25
elvis99

Why such opposition to Occupy? But when it comes to those who lead us they still get away with murder, its like we complain about those who seek change.

And i'm not referring to Fianna fail or Fine Gael uniquely i'm talking about all our political leaders. Our health minister purchases €300 coffee machines with taxpayers money, Sinn fein claiming expenses for enough ink cartridges to print 3.2million sheets of A4 paper, they are robbing taxpayers blind but yet we give out about those on social welfare being scabs.

And thats what they want the middle class giving out about the lower classes.
03-05-2012, 11:27   #26
antoobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis99 View Post
Why such opposition to Occupy? But when it comes to those who lead us they still get away with murder, its like we complain about those who seek change.

And i'm not referring to Fianna fail or Fine Gael uniquely i'm talking about all our political leaders. Our health minister purchases €300 coffee machines with taxpayers money, Sinn fein claiming expenses for enough ink cartridges to print 3.2million sheets of A4 paper, they are robbing taxpayers blind but yet we give out about those on social welfare being scabs.

And thats what they want the middle class giving out about the lower classes.
In my experience they don't want people thinking about the situation, just doing what they want you to do. Try to talk to them having actual figures and sources and they just get sullen or argumentative - because you aren't buying their line - and god help you if you have an opinion on anything that doesn't match theirs.

A lot of the things they promote are of dubious legality (the freeman rubbish) or morality (refusing to pay your own legally accrued debts, the jailing of people who haven't been found guilty breaking laws & trial by media).

From a practical side some of the things they have suggested - unilateral wage cuts for people they don't like. Allowing wage contracts to be broken for anyone creates a precedent that puts everyones wage contract in jeopardy - which i.m.o. is the real reason why CPA is so contentious for the likes of siptu who have public & private sector members.

They come out with facts (e.g. shell to sea) that are misunderstood/ misleading at best and just plain wrong at worst. Then claim that they didn't bring it up at all.

Their responses to inquiries about transparency of their "organisation" e.g. funding membership etc, are hypocritical at best - if they want to decry organizations such as banks or political parties for being not transparent enough they have to lead by example.

All in all they come across as a a parent telling a child "Do what I say not want I do" or when asked why you should/shouldn't do something "Because I said so" (god help all parents when kids figure out that one means they don't have a good reason).

Thanks we have enough legitimate political parties that aren't camping in an area not designated for camping (that has to be illegal) already doing the same.
Thanks from:
03-05-2012, 12:04   #27
dloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis99 View Post
http://www.european-council.europa.e...tesm2.en12.pdf

Those sections are actually listed as part of the treaty according to the PDF which I found on the european council website, make of it what you will, but it is covered in Article 32, the sections they have highlighted seem mixed up.

Im not a supporter of occupy but the section they have highlighted may not have been pulled from there hoop.
Yeah those articles are from the ESM treaty.
The one being voted on is the treaty on stability, coordination and governance.

The articles from the ESM treaty make better quotes though.

This is one being voted on http://www.european-council.europa.e...scg26_en12.pdf
(2) thanks from:
03-05-2012, 12:14   #28
elvis99

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoobrien View Post
In my experience they don't want people thinking about the situation, just doing what they want you to do. Try to talk to them having actual figures and sources and they just get sullen or argumentative - because you aren't buying their line - and god help you if you have an opinion on anything that doesn't match theirs.

A lot of the things they promote are of dubious legality (the freeman rubbish) or morality (refusing to pay your own legally accrued debts, the jailing of people who haven't been found guilty breaking laws & trial by media).

From a practical side some of the things they have suggested - unilateral wage cuts for people they don't like. Allowing wage contracts to be broken for anyone creates a precedent that puts everyones wage contract in jeopardy - which i.m.o. is the real reason why CPA is so contentious for the likes of siptu who have public & private sector members.

They come out with facts (e.g. shell to sea) that are misunderstood/ misleading at best and just plain wrong at worst. Then claim that they didn't bring it up at all.

Their responses to inquiries about transparency of their "organisation" e.g. funding membership etc, are hypocritical at best - if they want to decry organizations such as banks or political parties for being not transparent enough they have to lead by example.

All in all they come across as a a parent telling a child "Do what I say not want I do" or when asked why you should/shouldn't do something "Because I said so" (god help all parents when kids figure out that one means they don't have a good reason).

Thanks we have enough legitimate political parties that aren't camping in an area not designated for camping (that has to be illegal) already doing the same.
I agree with you on a number of points the morality aspect especially, people of course should pay there debts. I can't comment on things like the Croke park agreement and unions because I have a limited knowledge of employment law.

I just felt there is a very negative view of those who want change. Especially when you see the behaviour of legitimate political parties, are they acting morally? are they leading by example? In my opinion no.
03-05-2012, 12:28   #29
fishy fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoobrien View Post
They have it in their minutes that the ODS breached section 21 of the Public Order act - hence the dismantling of the camp for the St Patricks Day parade.

VOR - please say you want Eyre Square for something.
why? Its nice to see somebody standing up for their principals and sticking with it. Long may it live - hopefully protests like these will become more popular in the future - the way the people are being treated. Of course you will get the ones calling for them to be beheaded, but will have no problem benefitting from any gains the protesters achieve. You wont' see them handing it back. People NEED to protest - the sooner people realise this the better. We've been led around by the nose a bit too much to be honest.
Long live the protest.
03-05-2012, 12:38   #30
ben.schlomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy fishy View Post
why? Its nice to see somebody standing up for their principals and sticking with it. Long may it live - hopefully protests like these will become more popular in the future - the way the people are being treated. Of course you will get the ones calling for them to be beheaded, but will have no problem benefitting from any gains the protesters achieve. You wont' see them handing it back. People NEED to protest - the sooner people realise this the better. We've been led around by the nose a bit too much to be honest.
Long live the protest.
What have they achieved?
Thread Closed