Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shave with or against the grain?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I shave against the grain and I like it. Most people I would imagine shave with the grain? Which way inclined are you?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I find you get a closer shave against the grain, but I also hear that you can get weird lumps in your skin that get infected. Never happened and im shaving over ten years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

very much depends on what im shaving ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

i shave towards my chin, whatever way that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

With, then across and finally against the grain - a proper three pass shave with a DE or straight razor.

Shaving against the grain only causes problems if you haven't prepped properly or are using poor shaving gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I haven't wet shaved in about 4 years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Firstly 'with' if stubble or longer, then finish with 'against' to get as close as possible.

'Against' can cause ingrown hairs, especially if shaving longer ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

i do both, start with then finish against. gives a much cleaner shave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I shave with the grain at first and when most of the hair is off then I shave against the grain.

Bought 6 gillette fusion proglide blades yesterday too and they cost me nearly €25 :eek:

Mother of Jaysus..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Snowie wrote: »
    I haven't wet shaved in about 4 years :pac:

:eek:

My skin hurts at the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've a beard for years!
    But i'd always have shaved with the grain to get rid of the big stuff, and then against the grain to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Which way is which?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I shave once against the grain, and once with the grain to catch the stragglers. Really though, there is no 'grain'. Facial hair grows in at least 15 directions so you're always at risk of tearing your face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

First shave is with the grain.
    Then wash and rinse.
    Second shave is against the grain.
    Wash and rinse.
    Pat dry and moisturise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

When I do shave it's with the grain. I seem to cut myself more when going against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

stoneill wrote: »
    First shave is with the grain.
    Then wash and rinse.
    Second shave is against the grain.
    Wash and rinse.
    Pat dry and moisturise.

thats a lot of effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

hows your vag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I shave down the ways with everything above the jaw line. Up the ways with everything below. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bunch of poofs. Lighter and a can of lynx singes that bad boy off in seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bunch of poofs. Lighter and a can of lynx singes that bad boy off in seconds

How you handle deflossing your back, sack and crack is your own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I dont shave, I wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

Followed by a little light disembowelling (while listening to Phil Collins).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

hows your vag?

Watch the film American Psycho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Watch the film American Psycho

Read the book first

american-psycho.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

BX 19 wrote: »
    :eek:

My skin hurts at the thought.

beard trimmer I much prefer it...

Im a man why the hell do i want to the face of a boy ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

But do you actually shave?? No mention of it here ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But do you actually shave?? No mention of it here ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeAMVK75T4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

With and across on sides/cheeks
    With and against on chin

Wax everywhere else;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I shave across the grain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

With, then across and finally against the grain - a proper three pass shave with a DE or straight razor.

Shaving against the grain only causes problems if you haven't prepped properly or are using poor shaving gear.

Ah, a shave snob. I suppose we're all snobs about something though. I'm a beer snob.

Against the grain. With doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement