Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2012, 00:03   #1
Going Forward

Bus driver banned for going too slow?

Did anyone else hear Noel Brett with Matt Cooper today (16/3/12) mentioning a case where a bus driver lost his license after being pulled up for going too slowly? Seems quite harsh IMO.

He referred to it in response to a texter complaining of being currently stuck behind a caravan somewhere. No mention of the fact that the driver shouldnt have been texting.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 00:05   #2
Joko
Closed Account

You will fail your driving test for not keeping up with traffic.
17-03-2012, 00:13   #3
Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joko View Post
You will fail your driving test for not keeping up with traffic.
No kidding?
17-03-2012, 00:16   #4
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Forward View Post
No kidding?
It is called a failure to proceed or progress afaik and will fail you in the test.
17-03-2012, 00:17   #5
coylemj

Quote:
No kidding?
No, it's a box on the examiner's sheet called something like 'failing to make sufficient progress'. While there is no minimum speed limit for driving a car, you can fail the test if you drive too slow.
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 00:18   #6
dorgasm

I failed my full license test for progress on the straight
17-03-2012, 00:21   #7
Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
No, it's a box on the examiner's sheet called something like 'failing to make sufficient progress'. While there is no minimum speed limit for driving a car, you can fail the test if you drive too slow.
I know all that, but I thought that the case he mentioned was a bit over the top, admittedly I dont know the full circumstances, but it seems the driver was penalised for driving a bus carefully.

My thoughts on hearing it were that some other defect must have caused the ban, such as no DOE, serious fault with the vehicle etc...

Last edited by Going Forward; 17-03-2012 at 00:27.
17-03-2012, 00:31   #8
coylemj

I can't imagine how you could lose your licence for going too slow because there isn't any offence under the RTA which relates to going too slow. He might have been sacked from a job with a bus company because there is obviously a requirement to get passengers from A to B at a reasonably fast rate and then turn the bus around for the return trip so if you drove too slowly it would eventually be grounds for dismissal.
17-03-2012, 00:35   #9
Itsdacraic

I regularly encounter a bus on my commute that travels at 60km/ph. It holds up a huge line of traffic and ends up with people getting impatient and trying crazy over taking manouveres
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 00:41   #10
Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
I can't imagine how you could lose your licence for going too slow because there isn't any offence under the RTA which relates to going too slow. He might have been sacked from a job with a bus company because there is obviously a requirement to get passengers from A to B at a reasonably fast rate and then turn the bus around for the return trip so if you drove too slowly it would eventually be grounds for dismissal.
This was a motoring offence case as Noel Brett mentioned a Garda pulling up the driver, and the driver being banned!

Odd?

Its in this section, close to the start- http://media.todayfm.com/listenback/98/friday/1/popup

Last edited by Going Forward; 17-03-2012 at 01:00.
17-03-2012, 01:03   #11
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdacraic View Post
I regularly encounter a bus on my commute that travels at 60km/ph. It holds up a huge line of traffic and ends up with people getting impatient and trying crazy over taking manouveres
Is it some auld fella driving that thinks he's doing 60mph?
17-03-2012, 09:00   #12
Del2005

Quote:
but it seems the driver was penalised for driving a bus carefully.
Your falling for the RSA "Speed Kills" BS. Just because someone is driving slowly doesn't mean they are driving carefully.

My father drives slowly but he's a dangerous driver.
(3) thanks from:
17-03-2012, 09:16   #13
doomed
Closed Account

Very slow drivers can be danerous. Its almos like parking in the middle of the road. You become an obstacle and everyone has to get around you which can be hazardous.
17-03-2012, 10:18   #14
slimjimmc

Quote:
Did anyone else hear Noel Brett with Matt Cooper today (16/3/12) mentioning a case where a bus driver lost his license after being pulled up for going too slowly? Seems quite harsh IMO.

He referred to it in response to a texter complaining of being currently stuck behind a caravan somewhere. No mention of the fact that the driver shouldnt have been texting.
I believe Noel Brett may have been referring to the famous case in 2009 of the Mayo farmer who was summoned for failing to pay an on-the-spot fine and was also summoned for not driving with reasonable consideration for other road users as he refused to pull in on his his way home from the mart.
The 12 month ban only applied to his driving a tractor.

He was a part-time bus driver who received a safety award from Bus Éireann, so that's where the bus driver reference come from imo.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?opt...6475&Itemid=38
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2012, 12:12   #15
Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
Your falling for the RSA "Speed Kills" BS. Just because someone is driving slowly doesn't mean they are driving carefully.

My father drives slowly but he's a dangerous driver.
So you how do know the guy driving the bus is a careless/dangerous
driver and at the same time you have no knowledge of the case mentioned?

You are jumping to conclusions.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion