Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2012, 13:37   #61
Tzetze

I was collecting JSA from the post office a couple of weeks ago, and handed her €2 so she could give me my payment in all notes. Later that day when I was lodging it into the bank the teller told me that I'd an extra €10 and asked if I wanted to lodge it all. The lady in the post office had given me €10 too much. I went back the next day and handed it back to the same lady. She had realised her mistake soon after I'd left the previous day and was very grateful at my returning it.

To further rebutt the OP's opinion of a typical AH lurker; I'm currently back living with my folks. I buy all my own food, do all my own cooking, washing, ironing. I help with cleaning the house, mow the lawns and hand up considerably more than my share of the bills.

OP I hope you will reconsider handing the money into the guards. Someone somewhere is having a very stressful time because of losing that cash.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 13:39   #62
CL7
Closed Account

So you just started a thread here looking for attention. Nobody cares op. People are just replying because they're bored at work. Now feck off, go live your sad life and spend your stolen money.

Last edited by CL7; 27-02-2012 at 13:42. Reason: Typo.
27-02-2012, 13:40   #63
Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoogyDoogy View Post
So you just started a thread here looking for attention. Nobody cares op. People are just repling because they're bored at work. Now feck and and go live your sad life and spend the money you just stole.
Haha I am bored in work! How did you know?
(3) thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:41   #64
Biggins
Banned

My dad once years ago lost a serious amount of wages that was in his back pocket.
It was his own fault for losing it and he knew it. Times was hard at the time and all I remember even now is that life in the home was pure hell for weeks afterwards as my ma struggled to try and find replacement money to get food and see us ok for school. My dad felt terrible for months afterwards.
I honestly would not wish a similar situation on anyone.

Last edited by Biggins; 27-02-2012 at 13:47. Reason: Grammar.
27-02-2012, 13:41   #65
dulpit

Send a message via MSN to dulpit
To add to this debate of decency/etc, 2 little stories:

1: I was at cinema a while back with the GF. I thought she had paid, she thought I had paid, and the dude gave us change as if we had paid with a €20 (it was manic busy at the time). We both went back to tell the dude and pay, we both would not have been able to enjoy it.

2: I was in IKEA on Saturday, shopping for my sister. Was buying a bunch of things, the guy scanned the same box twice, thinking the one below it was the same price. There was actually a substantial price difference between the 2 (about €50), so I pointed it out straight away. When I told my sister (single mother, 2 kids) she was happy - right thing to do and all that.

I don't think I'm anything special, I just think that most people in same situations as above would have done the same thing... Just saying...
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 13:43   #66
44leto
Closed Account

300 in a white envelope suggests to me that the victim had just withdrawn the money from an acc and not a cashsave and on a Monday so it was needed urgently for something.

But then again who knows. It could be drug money, but if it was they would never reclaim it.
27-02-2012, 13:43   #67
sf80

Hand it in to a Garda station near where you found it. It's not yours, you are dishonest if you keep it, whatever your excuse.

Ask the Garda you give it to for a receipt for it, and ask them how long they will wait for it to be claimed. Check back with them when the time expires. I think you will probably get it back if no one claims it (maybe after a year or something).
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:45   #68
prinz

I'd hand it in. I've been at the receiving end of decency like when I lost something valuable and the finder went to a good deal of trouble to track me down that so it's my duty to pay it on so to speak.
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:45   #69
Anyone

As an aside, look what this recession has done to us. Discussing €300. Remember when we were all loaded? You would have seen a thread like this back then.....ahh I miss those days. Feckin politicians ruined it though...
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 13:45   #70
biko
Percolator

Keep it if you have to OP but don't go saying "Sure the Gardai would just steal it anyway".
You don't know that and you just use as some made up excuse to hold on to the money.
Don't assume everyone is like you and just keep what they find, plenty of honest citizens and garda for that matter.
27-02-2012, 13:46   #71
Fran1985

For all those saying someone somewhere has lost this and needs it to pay bills, what if it the envelope was Sean Fitzpatrick's envelope? or in deed Berties? or heaven forbid, a builder!!! maybe they'd just been to the bank and were heading out to buy a bottle of champers for lunch (or something extravagant like that). What if it was their envelope?
Granted chances are slim, but my point is, it may not be someone who's on the bread line that lost this money.

For what its worth, a couple of shop window notice's wouldn't go a stray. Give it 6-8 weeks, then claim finders-keepers
27-02-2012, 13:47   #72
prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Keep it if you have to OP but don't go saying "Sure the Gardai would just steal it anyway".
You don't know that and you just use as some made up excuse to hold on to the money. Don't assume everyone is like you and just keep what they find, plenty of honest citizens and garda for that matter.
+1, the general protocol anyway is if you hand in lost property you can leave your name and contact details. If the gardaí can't track down the rightful owner the OP may get his cash in the end guilt-free knowing they tried. If you don't claim it again it goes to charity.
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:48   #73
Rocky_Dennis
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran1985 View Post
For all those saying someone somewhere has lost this and needs it to pay bills, what if it the envelope was Sean Fitzpatrick's envelope? or in deed Berties? or heaven forbid, a builder!!! maybe they'd just been to the bank and were heading out to buy a bottle of champers for lunch (or something extravagant like that). What if it was their envelope?
Granted chances are slim, but my point is, it may not be someone who's on the bread line that lost this money.

For what its worth, a couple of shop window notice's wouldn't go a stray. Give it 6-8 weeks, then claim finders-keepers
It shouldn't matter who owns the money, the OP doesn't and should try and find the owner, no?
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 13:49   #74
Defiler Of The Coffin

Karma schmarma - keep the money, buy yourself an extravagant duffle jacket - you know you deserve it.
27-02-2012, 13:49   #75
Bigtalker

I found 300 on Grafton Street when I was 18 (10 years ago) and thought that it was probably some one's last bit of money in the world and walked around to Pearse Street Garda station and handed it in. They told me if I came back in a year and a day and no one had claimed it I could keep it. Being a poor 19 year old I did exactly that. I went to the station and the Garda on duty looked up the book to find on that date no sum of money had been recorded as found and they couldnt help me!

If I found money again I would probably give it to a charity
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion