Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm just wondering about the Dublin Couch service for a tenner one way. I was going to drive to Dublin tomorrow morning but I might give this a try.

The problem is, one of the girld in work said this gets to Dublin in a little over 2 hrs but the timetable says 2.75hrs.

Any idea of the official time for the journey?

Thanks!

I spent 3h30m getting back from dublin the other day... The 5:45 scheduled to arrive at half 8 but came in to Arthurs quay at quarter past 9...

Bus was packed like a tin of sardines and people were standing from Westmoreland to Kildare village highly dangerous on the motorway I'd imagine

At least kelly travel leave on time and arrive on time even if it is the red cow they come from

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can't think of many coaches that would be certified to have people standing wherever they are. Not saying that it was the case here, but coaches are not normally designed for standees, unlike urban buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Double decker coaches now seem to be a daily feature on the Limerick route.

I'm unsure if that Kelly Travel bus runs anymore?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

standing is dangerous and illegal on a coach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Kelly Travel service has been cancelled since January:

http://www.kellytravel.ie/services/plaza-express/

Wonder if this frees up a Limerick to Dublin/Airport license for someone like Aircoach/GoBus/Citylink to take up? Sounds like Dublin Coach is doing very well and there is need for extra capacity on the route.

There should never be standing on intercity coaches. If there are that busy, people should be bumped to the next service or an extra coach put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bk wrote: »

Wonder if this frees up a Limerick to Dublin/Airport license for someone like Aircoach/GoBus/Citylink to take up? Sounds like Dublin Coach is doing very well and there is need for extra capacity on the route.

There are already three operators on that route, how many more do you think it can support?

There really is a lot of OTT rubbish being posted here, just because one peak time bus left full there is the need for another operator to service the route is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There are already three operators on that route, how many more do you think it can support?

There really is a lot of OTT rubbish being posted here, just because one peak time bus left full there is the need for another operator to service the route is nonsense.
    Competition is healthy for business and will help push improvements for passengers over all operators. the fact that it may take passengers from any train services is secondary.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Vic_08 wrote: »

The NTA specify that there should be two direct hourly services (one every 30 minutes) on each intercity route.

There is currently only one such service to Limerick, Dublin Coach.

Galway has two such services operating successfully for years (GoBus and Citylink), there are two to Belfast, two to Cork, so why should Limerick be different?

I've been watching Dublin Coach at Westmoreland over the last few weeks, they look very busy, often leaving people behind, even when using double deckers, it isn't just one sighting.

It certainly looks like there is room for another direct operator on that route.

BTW Checking the NTA license database, Kelly Travel have their license until 2016, I wonder what is the process if they stop the service, do they lose the license and it is made available for another company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

foggy lad - is it possible Vic_08 was referring to JJ Kavanagh there? While they aren't hourly per bk's note re the NTA, they are running 8 daily services Dublin Airport-Dublin-Limerick in addition to those in the Nenagh-Limerick-Shannon rotations.

If IE's pulling off the route provided the incentive for JJK to go hourly all day and thus 30min bus headways through the M7 corridor I think that would be a good result for North Tipperary, and indeed for IE who have thrown enough (and in another way not enough) down that particular moneypit.

• Advertisement

The JJ Kavanagh services aren't direct non stop, they are a stopping service.

The NTA specifies max two direct non stop services and two stopping services. Limerick has:

Dublin Coach - Direct
    JJ Kavanagh - Stopping
    BE - Stopping

Seems like there is a space for a second direct service there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The JJ Kavanagh services aren't direct non stop, they are a stopping service.

The NTA specifies max two direct non stop services and two stopping services. Limerick has:

Dublin Coach - Direct
    JJ Kavanagh - Stopping
    BE - Stopping

Seems like there is a space for a second direct service there.

Where did you get that from?

Where did you get that from?

A document I read published by the NTA a few years ago, I'll try and dig it up if I can find it.

dowlingm wrote: »
    foggy lad - is it possible Vic_08 was referring to JJ Kavanagh there? While they aren't hourly per bk's note re the NTA, they are running 8 daily services Dublin Airport-Dublin-Limerick in addition to those in the Nenagh-Limerick-Shannon rotations.

If IE's pulling off the route provided the incentive for JJK to go hourly all day and thus 30min bus headways through the M7 corridor I think that would be a good result for North Tipperary, and indeed for IE who have thrown enough (and in another way not enough) down that particular moneypit.
    There is room for and need for another direct non-stop service between Dublin and Limerick. JJ Kavanaghs might even be interested in providing a non-stop service but they don't have a great record for punctuality on any of their long distance routes.

I see the distinction being made now between the Kelly Travel one and the JJK one - thanks.

That said, the assumptions underlying the NTA's plans might need a revisit given the state of the economy as to whether that corridor can support the number of modes proposed. Furthermore, a suburban plaza to park-and-ride service as Kelly Travel's was is a pretty generous description of direct non-stopping.

I see the distinction being made now between the Kelly Travel one and the JJK one - thanks.

That said, the assumptions underlying the NTA's plans might need a revisit given the state of the economy as to whether that corridor can support the number of modes proposed. Furthermore, a suburban plaza to park-and-ride service as Kelly Travel's was is a pretty generous description of direct non-stopping.
    The overcrowding on the current M7 services operated by Dublin Coach would indicate the need for another operator.

The Kelly travel routing would need to be discussed with the quango that is the NTA as they seem to think most people want their buses from Waterford limerick etc stopping miles from the City Centre, passengers may as well be on the train. They see the Red cow luas stop as a major transport hub even though there is scarcely room to swing a cat or bus around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bus Eireann now run a 2 stop (neenagh and portlaoise) service from limerick to Dublin with pick up points at childers road UL and Annacotty heading east and red cow/Newlands cross heading west... They also serve as requested drop off points heading in the opposite direction... Sounds a great idea until you realise it only leaves 3 times daily in each direction so meh

Somehow that is advertised as getting between the cities in 2h45m same as Dublin coach yet an extra stop along the motorway

Another fictitious BE timetable, just like their Cork one (usually between 45 to 60 minutes late!!).

The NTA really need to put a stop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bus Eireann now run a 2 stop (neenagh and portlaoise) service from limerick to Dublin with pick up points at childers road UL and Annacotty heading east and red cow/Newlands cross heading west... They also serve as requested drop off points heading in the opposite direction... Sounds a great idea until you realise it only leaves 3 times daily in each direction so meh

Somehow that is advertised as getting between the cities in 2h45m same as Dublin coach yet an extra stop along the motorway

This isn't new, X12 has being like this for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The X12 is now 5 euro each way until October at non-peak times. I would still pay the 5 extra for the M7 express much better service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

So, it looks like the Limerick-Dublin service is to be extended to Ennis! http://www.clarepeople.com/2013/11/19/ennis-gets-early-christmas-present-in-form-of-up-to-20-new-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

So, it looks like the Limerick-Dublin service is to be extended to Ennis! http://www.clarepeople.com/2013/11/19/ennis-gets-early-christmas-present-in-form-of-up-to-20-new-jobs/

yes!!! no more driving into UL and leaving the car across from the stables.

Interesting development.

I'd imagine they may also look at running a service between Limerick and Tralee and Killarney. Obvious linking in with the Limerick to Dublin route. Similar to Citylinks Clifden service.

I'd assume they picked Ennis to extend the Dublin to Limerick route as it is shorter distance then Tralee and mostly on motorway, so less likely to impact the Dublin to Limerick service.

Having said that Ennis to Dublin Airport via Limerick will be quiet a long way to go for coaches that aren't equipped with toilets. I wonder will the decision to go with non toilet equipped coaches end up biting much as it has Aircoach on the Cork route.

Surprised Citylink didn't try something similar and have their Galway to Cork service stop at Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Interesting development.

I'd imagine they may also look at running a service between Limerick and Tralee and Killarney. Obvious linking in with the Limerick to Dublin route. Similar to Citylinks Clifden service.

I'd assume they picked Ennis to extend the Dublin to Limerick route as it is shorter distance then Tralee and mostly on motorway, so less likely to impact the Dublin to Limerick service.

Having said that Ennis to Dublin Airport via Limerick will be quiet a long way to go for coaches that aren't equipped with toilets. I wonder will the decision to go with non toilet equipped coaches end up biting much as it has Aircoach on the Cork route.

Surprised Citylink didn't try something similar and have their Galway to Cork service stop at Ennis.

The citylink used to stop in Ennis, they decided to bypass ennis maybe 18-24 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Proposed timetable for the Ennis extension starting 10/12/2013 http://dublincoach.ie/timetables/NewM7Service10Dec2013.pdf

Good news for Ennisites in that it shifts the first public transport connection to Dublin from an 0947 arrival at Heuston (via Athenry) to 0800 at Westmoreland Street. First arrival becomes 1015 from 1139 (Gobus/Bus Eireann via Galway) Oops - Google Transit doesn't see the earlier 0700 Heuston/0838 LJunction/arr 0957 Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

macroman wrote: »
    Proposed timetable for the Ennis extension starting 10/12/2013 http://dublincoach.ie/timetables/NewM7Service10Dec2013.pdf

Could be completely wrong but does Ennis-Dublin demand such a schedule, surly demand isn't that high to justify an hourly service. Hope it works out for them.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Could be completely wrong but does Ennis-Dublin demand such a schedule, surly demand isn't that high to justify an hourly service. Hope it works out for them.

It looks like they aren't using any new coaches, instead just having the Dublin to Limerick coaches continue onto Ennis.

It is also interesting to note that they have pretty good commuter rates for regular travel between Limerick and Ennis. I expect this is how it will be used most rather then people heading to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Good news for Ennisites in that it shifts the first public transport connection to Dublin from an 0947 arrival at Heuston (via Athenry) to 0800 at Westmoreland Street. First arrival becomes 1015 from 1139 (Gobus/Bus Eireann via Galway)

The first arrival is 09:57 (off 07:00 Heuston/Cork).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It looks like they aren't using any new coaches, instead just having the Dublin to Limerick coaches continue onto Ennis.

It is also interesting to note that they have pretty good commuter rates for regular travel between Limerick and Ennis. I expect this is how it will be used most rather then people heading to Dublin.

Read the timetable again - it clearly states they are not taking commuter traffic between Ennis and Limerick between 07:00 and 10:00 inclusive and in the opposite direction between 16:30 and 19:30 inclusive, so I'd imagine commuter traffic would be rather low.

Advertisement